PDA

View Full Version : questions about caging

jeb
01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
i have a 90 s13 hatch an it is completely gutted right now cause im getting ready to build a roll cage in it and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any certain way it needs to be done to add maximum support an be legal for drifting events an legal for daily driving(not a major concern at this point tho)
basically wondering if there is a right way to do it and if anyone can give me a drawing of how it needs to be or any pics of one that is certified.
also was debating on stitch welding and foam injection. any ideas? please give me some input! thank you

g6civcx
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
legal for daily driving

This is a whole can of worms you do not want to go into.

I recommend replicating an S13 hatch that has already been certified. That's the easiest way if you don't know what you're doing.

The best way would be to read the rulebook and ask the tech inspector. Would that be too much to do?

Our opinions don't mean anything. You need to get it straight from the source.

jeb
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
can someone post a pic of their cage that is certifed for drift events?

yota man
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Let me google that for you (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=formula+d+240sx)

redsx13
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
*******Formula D & D1 GP Guidlines********

-Minimum1.5” OD x 0.095 DOM Steel 1.5” OD x 0.083
Chromium Molybdenum Steel

-A cage with six mounting
points or more is required

-All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver shall be padded with high-density
padding.

-All bends must be Mandrel type. The center radius of the bends may not be less than three (3) times the outside diameter
of the roll cage tubing.

-The main roll cage hoop shall be as wide as the full width of the interior and must be as close to
the roof as possible. One continuous length of roll bar tubing shall be used as the main hoop.
The main hoop must consist of not more than four (4) bends maximum, totaling one hundred
eighty (180) degrees +/- ten (10) degrees.

-At least one (1) diagonal brace shall be used in the same plane as the main hoop. One end of
the diagonal brace shall attach to the corner, or horizontal part, of the main hoop above the
driver’s head, within twelve (12) inches of the driver’s-side corner. The other end of the diagonal
brace shall attach to the mounting plate (or to the main hoop as close to the mounting plate as
practically possible) diagonally opposed to the driver’s head (passenger floor).

-The forward hoops shall extend from the main hoop (in a forward direction) to the floor by
following the roof and the “A” pillar of the car. There shall be a bar connecting the two (2)
forward hoops at the top of the windshield mounted as close to the roof as possible. The
forward hoops shall incorporate no more than four bends each.

-The main hoop must have two (2) brace extending to the rear. The brace shall be attached as
near as possible to the top of the main hoop, and no more than six (6) inches below the top.

-Door bars on both driver and passenger side must be used. The driver’s door window glass,
window operating mechanism, armrest, map pockets, door panel, and inside door latch may be
removed. *This gutting of the door is only permitted if the roll cage incorporates at least two (2)
NASCAR style door bars that extend into the door or an X brace.

-The cage shall not go through the firewall. The seventh and eighth points must attach to the firewall or front fender wells. All cage attachment points must be mounted to plates.

-Each mounting plate shall be no greater than 100 square inches and no greater than 12 inches
or less than 2 inches on a side. Welded mounting plates shall be at least 0.080 inch thick.
Plates may extend onto vertical sections of the structure. Any mounting plate may be multiangled,
but shall not exceed 100 square inches total including vertical sections.

-Any number of tubes may attach to a plate so long as they are touching each other at the plate.
There may be a small gap between tubes to allow welding 360 degrees around each tube.

-All welding must be of the highest quality with full penetration and Arc welding should be used
whenever possible. The welder, using magnaflux, should inspect all welds for quality. All
attachment points must be welded 360 degrees around the tube.

-A 3/16-inch inspection hole must be drilled in each of the required bars in a non-critical area for
the purpose of determining wall thickness. All welds, except those mounted to plates on the
floor, must be accessible for inspection (360 degrees).

and thats about it