PDA

View Full Version : 1992 240sx - lights help

DaywickelL
01-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I ran into a weird problem today after trying to hook up a deck into my car.
I gave up on trying to wire up the deck because it got dark out and I don't have any flashlight whatsoever.

The only thing I remember disconnecting was some wiring for some foglights that a previous owner hooked up.

The parking lights and cluster lights don't light up now when I turn the headlights on. The front and rear side markers do not turn on as with the front signal lights. The signal lights work if I signal left, right, or use the emergency blinkers. Does anyone know what causes that problem?

Edit: I just got home and did a bunch of searching. I'm going to replace the TCU tomorrow and hopefully all my problems are solved.

whatda
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
i still have this problem

DaywickelL
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I checked all the fuses and replaced the TCU a while back after my original post and it didn't help. I've pretty much been driving my car around only when the sun is out. I've got some free time this weekend so I thought I'd give the problem another shot.

Today I went to the junkyard again and got two TCUs. It didn't fix the problem. I forgot to grab a couple of 75A fusible links to see if that would do anything (even though my current one looks fine).

I did a lot of searching last time and I remember reading a few posts that said the 75A fusible link might be causing the problem. Can someone tell me the theory behind that? How would a fusible link for the alternator affect my parking and dash lights?

Here are two crappy night time pics of part of the harness that connects to the stereo.

Would any of these wires cause the parking and dash lights to not turn on if they were not touching?
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1363/image230vt1.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image230vt1.jpg)

The red arrow is pointing to the rest of the stereo harness.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/7568/image231xj4.th.jpg (http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image231xj4.jpg)

SDS13COUPE
01-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Check your fuse panel. I bet you popped your fuse since you either hooked up your ground wire wrong, or you tapped wires when they were all disconnected.

MisawaJason
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
were you tugging on any of the wiring?

projectRDM
01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
75A fuse wouldn't be the culprit, you'd know because the car wouldn't even start if it's blown.

Did you cut all the wires at once, or allow any to touch each other? Either way you probably grounded out the illumination circuit, at best it's blown a fuse, worst case you burned up the dimmer switch or the combination switch.

DaywickelL
01-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I didn't tug on or cut any of the wiring for the stereo, the wiring was like that when I bought the car. The only wiring I cut was the wiring for fog lights from the previous owner. There was a wire running from the negative battery hook up to both fog lights.

I touched a few wires on accident when trying to sort out the wires for the deck install. I thought the wires touching might have caused the TCU to burn out but replacing the TCU didn't work.

My headlights will pop up and turn on when I turn my lights to the "On" position. Would the headlights still turn on if the combination switch was burnt out?

SDS13COUPE
01-30-2009, 08:01 AM
I didn't tug on or cut any of the wiring for the stereo, the wiring was like that when I bought the car. The only wiring I cut was the wiring for fog lights from the previous owner. There was a wire running from the negative battery hook up to both fog lights.

I touched a few wires on accident when trying to sort out the wires for the deck install. I thought the wires touching might have caused the TCU to burn out but replacing the TCU didn't work.

My headlights will pop up and turn on when I turn my lights to the "On" position. Would the headlights still turn on if the combination switch was burnt out?

Check your lights fuse. Like ProjectRDM said, you probably burnt the fuse from grounding the illumination circuit.

ero714
01-30-2009, 08:24 AM
You could try opening the tcu. You might have goten bad ones from the junk yard.

d3m14n
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
visually inspect your fuses with ample light. my friend had the same exact problem and fixed it after checking and replacing his broken fuse.