PDA

View Full Version : altima ka 240 ka

driftphenom
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
ok my brother in law has a 98 altima thats fucked up. his mechanic friend took a quick look at it and he believes it has a busted timing chain. he is not that mechanically inclined. i have a few questions. thx in advance for any help.

1. can i tell if its the timing chains by removing the valve cover and looking at the cams while manually turning the crank? im pretty sure that would be an accurate diagnostic move. fyi nissan dealerships are not that helpful when you want to do the work yourself.

2. i replaced my timing tensioners on my ka, and i still have the timing chains, i didnt use them. will they fit on the altima ka? (98) auto.

3. in general, how similar are the engines, outside of the fact that one is fwd?

i have the s14 fsm and am pretty familiar with the engine, i just dont want to give him false info or hope. he wants to do the work himself, and i told him i would help out. if theres anymore info you need just ask if you would like to help out. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP. otherwise dont say shit. i can only do the best i can. if thats not good enough for you go fuck your self. thank you for your time

HyperTek
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
whats wrong with it? check compression, check cam gears alingment/timing.
visual inspection of the chain would be good idea.. should be able to see wear marks etc