PDA

View Full Version : clutch releas

peetiewonder
01-12-2009, 09:24 AM
hey guys i need a quick answer on this one. I test drove a car yesterday, and the clutch release on it was kind of weird. the clutch was pretty stiff and had a solid feel, however when i engaged it, as i released it, it seemed like the clutch did not engage until a point near about 60-70% from the floor and almost engaged all at once.

Is this normal for something like a stage 2 clutch or could it be that the clutch is starting to go?
Could it be something with the fluid in the clutch system?
Also is this something that can be adjusted by the linkage?

thanks in advance for responses.

alzahakar
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Clutch engagement is adjustable. A friend of mine had his 5-speed vert set to disengage the clutch with about two inches of pedal travel so his girl could drive it in her flip flops. As far as how it feels like it's engaging all at once with little to no slip, it's hard to put a "stage" on it. It all depends on the clamping force of the pressure plate, the friction of the disk used and whether the disk is sprung or solid. Best advice is to ask the owner the history on the car. If they can't give you details or their story sounds fishy, leave and find another car. I think most on this board would agree with me when I say it sucks to get someone else's problem car with no known history and start trying to fix things.

Schooled
01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
i agree with alzahakar, if you feel sketchy about that car, then just search for a better one. It sucks not knowing what the cars been through and if it does have some troubles, then its better to know exactly whats wrong rather than guessing. I have a similar problem with my 240sx, and i still haven't fixed it.
just my 2 cents lol

peetiewonder
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
yeah i ended up not getting the car. i had my aunt's mechanic check it out and he discovered that the car had been hit in the front and never fixed. they just threw a new bumper on top of it. that was enough for me not to get it.

the search continues.