PDA

View Full Version : Ipod + wash = death

jskateborders
01-12-2009, 02:39 AM
So I went to the gym tonight, which also happens to be my laundry night, so when I got home, I through my sweatpants into the was with the load that I was putting in. I forgot to take my Ipod out, needless to say, its dead. I bought the 2 year warranty from walmart, but I started reading the fine print, and it doesnt cover anything. Its got like 120 things that it doesnt cover, and this is like a month and a half old since my old Ipod was stolen with my car so I got this new one. Any Ideas on what I should do?

karl wasabi
01-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Damn. That really sucks. I've lot an ipod as well to car theft.

Anyways...why don't you just leave it alone for a while until it dries. Then when it does, take it back to walmart if it's still not working.

RiversideS13
01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
do not try to charge or turn it on. just leave it for a while.

my girlfriend accident dropped her ipod into toilet and it was dead. does not response to any button or charge. but after a while (like 3 or 4 months? ), i decided to plug in the charger and it just revived and works well.

Ceepo
01-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Lol i dont think he wants to wait 3-4 months ha ha ha... let it dry out if not working take it back and say WTF!!! GIMME A NEW ONE!!!

jskateborders
01-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Lol i dont think he wants to wait 3-4 months ha ha ha... let it dry out if not working take it back and say WTF!!! GIMME A NEW ONE!!!
Yea haha, semester starts on wed and I have to walk to campus (someone stole my bike too) so it kinda sucks without music. Does anyone know walmarts policy on that kinda shiz?

Sil-Abc
01-12-2009, 03:45 AM
which warranty did u get? the walmart one or the applecare? Try to use a hairdryer and dry all the water as much as possible. Then go and get it replaced and say that it just made a noise and it shutoff on u and it doesnt work anymore. Dont mention dropping it or water. If u dont mention those things, they can't say it was water damage because it shouldnt be noticeable. Just say it stopped working and they should replace it without any other questions.

SochBAT
01-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Sadly, a ton of electronics come with a special paper that changes colors when there is any liquid exposure.

Here's a tip that always works for me.

find thos silica packets, or dry rice. let your ipod hang out with them for a while. they absorb the moisture from the electronics and help in the drying process. I've done this a few times with my celly (centro) and its still up and running like a Kenyan.

stiizy
01-12-2009, 07:31 AM
You know you can take it back to Apple right and they'll either fix it or replace it...

I drop a 60gb in the rain once getting out of my car..

Took it back to apple and they replaced it and it was like a year old already..

Apple warranties their product no matter where you bought it..

WIKID S4TEEN
01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Well you don't have to wait 3-4 months. Just a day or two.
This is true with most electronics. Just let the shit dry, THEN turn it on.
If you try to turn it on before drying, that's when you fry it.

corwin
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I've had 2 friends do this. Just leave it to dry for about 3 days and you should be fine.

Om1kron
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
dry it! lol

LeftNutOfGowd
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
So I went to the gym tonight, which also happens to be my laundry night, so when I got home, I through my sweatpants into the was with the load that I was putting in. I forgot to take my Ipod out, needless to say, its dead. I bought the 2 year warranty from walmart, but I started reading the fine print, and it doesnt cover anything. Its got like 120 things that it doesnt cover, and this is like a month and a half old since my old Ipod was stolen with my car so I got this new one. Any Ideas on what I should do?

just take it back to walmart they have a 90 day return policy just say you it wont take the battery charge

juice.def
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
dry it! lol

haha thats what im saying throw it in the dryer...

Om1kron
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
on the real, my dumb ass x washed my cell phone while it was in my pants, then threw it in the dryer... it took a week or so for it to work properly and the screen got a little fucked up but it worked fine after that.

The only problem I see here is if you have one of those larger ipods... I don't know if they switched to solid state memory or if they still have mini hard drives in them. I've refrained from buying one due to this.

But if it's a small one the dryer may fry the memory on it... so throw it in there on low LOL

FaLKoN240
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I've heard spraying down the inside with wd40 works.

There's another method you can use as well, but I've totally forgotten what it is.

Sleepy240
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I've heard spraying down the inside with wd40 works.

There's another method you can use as well, but I've totally forgotten what it is.

I would never just spray wd40 or anything for that matter on it. WD40 does work for some electronics but your best bet is to spray it on a soft cloth and just wipe it on. But like others were saying definetly let it dry out. And if you've only had 30-60 days go right back to walmart and return it, no questions asked return policy

RiversideS13
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
well i was not purposely wait 3-4 months, i just simply forgot about the ipod and until one day i saw it and i decide to charge it and it worked. i am sure as long as it is dry, it should work

HyperTek
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
ive had water leaks in my computer *water cooling*, and shit eventually works again when you turn everything off and wait til it completely dries *had water puddles sitting on the vid card back in the day from unattended for a few hours*

Dabbing in alcohol usually helps.

Pank
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
on the real, my dumb ass x washed my cell phone while it was in my pants, then threw it in the dryer... it took a week or so for it to work properly and the screen got a little fucked up but it worked fine after that.

The only problem I see here is if you have one of those larger ipods... I don't know if they switched to solid state memory or if they still have mini hard drives in them. I've refrained from buying one due to this.

But if it's a small one the dryer may fry the memory on it... so throw it in there on low LOL

listen to this guy. If you're solid state as far as storage, you have a chance of being ok. If it is a miniHD, you are probably bonered, since those things DO NOT like getting wet, even if they're off.

p.s. the Ipod classics are still HD's. All the touch products are solid state, the nano is SS, and obviously the shuffle is SS. Basically anything over 16/32 gigs is going to be a HDD based mp3 player

BustedS13
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
don't be a pussy. return it to walmart.

i had the two year warranty on my ipod from walmart, and it covered simply "moisture". maybe they've updated since then. but lately....

if something breaks that i own, i go buy a walmart equivalent. then i fill the box with my broken crap and return it. i've done this with a router and a hub in the last month with no issues

HyperTek
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Walmart lacks the resources to go CSI on a return lol
you should be ok

blitzsti22
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
try this it worked with my cell phone How to Dry Your Cell Phone - Save a Wet or Water-Logged Phone - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4269047.html)

JohnJohn86
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
your car and bike got stolen and now your ipod doesn't work. That sucks. Well, at least your ipod wasn't stolen.

My gf dropped her iphone into the laundary for a few secs. She let it dry and the next day it worked ok. She lost it a week after that tho.

Future240
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
This happeneed to my moms, just let it dry out for like three days then plug it back up

yokotas13
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
dont wash your electronics, buy an iphone

HalveBlue
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, simple answer:

Go to WalMart and return/exchange iPod.

I have never heard of Wallyworld refusing to return/exchange anything. And if they do, just go to the next one.

Shit, there's only like a gajillion of them these days.

BustedS13
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, simple answer:

Go to WalMart and return/exchange iPod.

I have never heard of Wallyworld refusing to return/exchange anything. And if they do, just go to the next one.

Shit, there's only like a gajillion of them these days.

seriously. you can even return shit without a receipt.

TiNMAN
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
hop in the washing machine with it and see if it works in there :p

fromxtor
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Put it in a container of damprid and let it absorb the moisture maybe?

jskateborders
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I actually threw it in the dryer and it works, but backlight doesnt come on, so Im taking it to walmart now.

Future240
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I actually threw it in the dryer and it works, but backlight doesnt come on, so Im taking it to walmart now.

That's cuz you dryed it out, but probably melted something inside

driven_
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
bah, my mom washed mines.

i got paranoid and sold it for $20 on ebay.

i shouldve let it dry for "a few months" first. =(

Future240
01-12-2009, 06:52 PM
bah, my mom washed mines.

i got paranoid and sold it for $20 on ebay.

i shouldve let it dry for "a few months" first. =(

3 days and it would have been fine probably

HyperTek
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
$20 is cheap for a broken ipod lol

palmdale_mob
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Just take it back to Walmart
Walmart has the easiest return policy of any store really
I've returned a Christmas tree like a week ago lol

jskateborders
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
yea I took it back to walmart, good stuff, just told em that the backlight randomly stopped working.

driven_
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
3 days and it would have been fine probably

i was overpowered.
i had no common sense. LOL.
i needed money anyways.
oh well.
its been 4 months with no music in my ears.
and i'm surviving. :D