PDA

View Full Version : rare bugatti worth millions found in a storage unit

brndck
01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Rare Bugatti untouched for 50 years could fetch millions: report - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090101/ts_afp/britainautoauctionoffbeat_090101195011)
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20090101/capt.cps.oqy37.010109204908.photo00.photo.default-512x327.jpg?x=400&y=255&q=85&sig=.XpqvnyC2Ds7lDoPSIOrZA--

Rare Bugatti untouched for 50 years could fetch millions: report

Thu Jan 1, 2:50 pm ET
Rare Bugatti untouched for 50 years could fetch millions: report AFP/File – The 1937 Bugatti 57S originally owned by Earl Howe is displayed in the Bonham's auction room at Olympia, …

LONDON (AFP) – A rare Bugatti supercar left to gather dust in an English garage for half a century could fetch millions when it goes under the hammer next month, a report said Thursday.

Experts believe the car -- one of just a handful ever made -- could fetch as much as six million pounds (6.2 million euros, 8.7 million dollars) when it is auctioned at the Retromobile car show and sale being organised by Bonhams in Paris in February.

Harold Carr, a surgeon, apparently abandoned the rare Bugatti in his lock-up in northeastern Newcastle after buying it in the 1950s.

When the reclusive Carr died in 2007, his nephew found the Type 57S Atalante when he cleared out the garage and was amazed to learn that just 17 of the model were ever made.

His nephew, an engineer from Newcastle who wishes to remain anonymous, told the city's Evening Chronicle newspaper: "We just can't believe it.

"It's worth so much because he hasn't used it for 50 years. It was one of the original supercars. When it was built it could reach 130 miles (210 kilometres) per hour when most cars could only do 50.

"Of course we're delighted and we're going to make sure the money is shared out among the family. It's a wonderful thing to leave."

The Bugatti 57S was originally owned by British aristocrat and racing enthusiast Earl Howe, who was the first president of the British Racing Drivers' Club.

He took delivery of the sporty two-seater Atalante in 1937 and kept the car for eight years.

After it changed hands several times, Carr bought it in 1955, and drove it for a few years before parking it in the garage in the early 1960s where it remained until his death.

James Knight, international head of Bonhams' motoring department, said: "I have known of this Bugatti for a number of years and, like a select group of others, hadn't dared divulge its whereabouts to anyone.

"It is absolutely one of the last great barn discoveries... The Atalante is incredibly original and, although she requires restoration, it is 'restoration' in the true sense of the word.

"From my perspective, save for some of the interior, all original parts can be restored or conserved in order to maintain originality."

cc4usmc
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I want to find something in that when I look in my garage..except there is just this fucking 240. Ugh.

YoungGun
01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
HOLY SHIT.

lucky bastard nephew that didn't even know about it.

mRclARK1
01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow. Talk about a find...

Whenever I hear shit like this I always think of a storage garage I know of around here... Has a somewhat rare 50's vehicle with an ODO reading of about 25... That's it. It's not worth millions, but tens of thousands minimum, maybe even over 100k, but the guy who owns will NEVER sell.

blueshark123
01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
nice inheritance. I wish someone in my family stored away something this valuable

singlecamslam
01-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Wow. Talk about a find...

Whenever I hear shit like this I always think of a storage garage I know of around here... Has a somewhat rare 50's vehicle with an ODO reading of about 25... That's it. It's not worth millions, but tens of thousands minimum, maybe even over 100k, but the guy who owns will NEVER sell.

Yeah those guys can be stingy. Dont blame them. Theres one here locally with a field full of WWII and all kinds of 30's cars just sitting there. Wont sell. Had a few stolen from him too.

5150Fab
01-01-2009, 11:29 PM
nice find. I wonder how much it was changing hands for back in the day.

mRclARK1
01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah those guys can be stingy. Dont blame them. Theres one here locally with a field full of WWII and all kinds of 30's cars just sitting there. Wont sell. Had a few stolen from him too.

True. This guy I don't really blame though... He bought the car back in like 1958ish or so for his daughter brand new. She drove it once with him for a b'day cruise in it... And she died the next day or something. So he held onto it... Parked it, maintains it perfectly, but only drives it along his driveway to move it around in the garage or move it out of the way now and then.

C. Senor
01-01-2009, 11:37 PM
that's nice for the nephew. damn, i want to find something like that. best i've done was like 20 bucks. haha.

s13.5guy
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I never plan on selling my KA-T s13.5. That way, my kids can enjoy what small, sleek, go cart like handling cars were like before the big ol fat cars of today and the ones to come.

Then, 50 years from now, my kids' kids can find in a storage unit my s13.5 and selling for perhaps not millions, but thousands.

ESmorz
01-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I never plan on selling my KA-T s13.5. That way, my kids can enjoy what small, sleek, go cart like handling cars were like before the big ol fat cars of today and the ones to come.

Then, 50 years from now, my kids' kids can find in a storage unit my s13.5 and selling for perhaps not millions, but thousands.

Or cut it up for scrap metal cause that will be worth more.

TravisSW
01-02-2009, 02:26 AM
I'd drift it. :D lol

!Zar!
01-02-2009, 03:25 AM

Comparing your butchered 240sx to a car to what was mentioned earlier is a travesty.

98s14inaz
01-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Comparing your butchered 240sx to a car to what was mentioned earlier is a travesty.

240sx is not a supercar. Even putting it in the same category as an old Bugatti is blasphemy to the car gods.

The Chad
01-02-2009, 07:30 AM
^^ True true.^^ To make a more similar comment/story would be to purchase a current model, let's say a Bugatti Veyron...then forget you bought it after you hid it in a garage in Oregon (or other random spot no one would look) for 50yrs, then die...then a relative later on finding it. Course if I found a Veyron 50yrs from now, I'd still drive it, not sell it :)

max2damax
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
240sx is not a supercar. Even putting it in the same category as an old Bugatti is blasphemy to the car gods.

but then again muscle cars are big ol pieces of metal with huge engines and drive like shit, and they still fetch some good money, its all about nostalgia if I dont sell my 98 silver moss I'll shrink wrap it and put it away somewhere where I can't see it everyday so I don't the urge to drive it every time I see it. :)

Xbroke_kidX
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Damn what luck....
I wonder if he gave it a test drive? :snoop: hahah

s13 @ fullboost
01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Lucky him I want to open a garage and find rare car thats worth 8 million

HyperTek
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
"wow we found our uncles prized possession, fuck keeping it as a memento of him, lets sell it so we can get money off his ass!!!!" If they loved him, that shit would be priceless as something he collected.

LB.Motoring
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Hell yes,

thatd be like omg tyte, drifting to the future.

:zzz:

cars rarely go up in value, so if its worth a thousand dollars now, you are probably looking of upwards 4 to 5 hundred dollars in the distant future.

s13.5guy
01-03-2009, 11:43 AM
alright alright..point taken..lol

and butchered? :loco::wiggle: naw.

but then again muscle cars are big ol pieces of metal with huge engines and drive like shit, and they still fetch some good money, its all about nostalgia if I dont sell my 98 silver moss I'll shrink wrap it and put it away somewhere where I can't see it everyday so I don't the urge to drive it every time I see it. :)

Now heres a guy who understands what I meant.

!Zar!
01-03-2009, 04:00 PM
You don't get it.
alright alright..point taken..lol

and butchered? :loco::wiggle: naw.

Now heres a guy who understands what I meant.

No, it just means that he's another lost cause.

handinpants
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I won a storage auction a few years ago, and the guy had a lamp, a bike, a typewriter, a TV, another bike, a trashbag with over 9k cash, and some foreign money, two rocket launcher things and 7 cool guns, I paid $150 cause I wanted the bike

blueshark123
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I won a storage auction a few years ago, and the guy had a lamp, a bike, a typewriter, a TV, another bike, a trashbag with over 9k cash, and some foreign money, two rocket launcher things and 7 cool guns, I paid $150 cause I wanted the bike

damn really thats pretty cool lucky ass :)

hijack3d
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Sooo..... Where could one find these said storage auctions....?

brndck
01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Sooo..... Where could one find these said storage auctions....?

at a storage facility. duh. they have em every few months to clean out space from ppl who stop paying their storage fees. alot of the time they won't even look through all the stuff in the locker before it gets auctioned off, so sometimes you can get some killer deals, but at the same time, you're responsible to dispose of all the stuff that is in there even if you don't want it.

ericcastro
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Cars are getting smaller BTW. Due to numerous factor, but all of them becoming more important in the future. (, population and amount of vehicles on the road, energy consumption, use of resorces.)

And I am guessing gasoline is not gonna be cheap in 50 years. Cause it and the vehicles that use it will be out dated and something else will have taken over.

"wow we found our uncles prized possession, fuck keeping it as a memento of him, lets sell it so we can get money off his ass!!!!" If they loved him, that shit would be priceless as something he collected.

you gotta figure, Its not their love. A bunch of his family members would get so much more out of selling the car and getting a little help wiht thier life and bills, then if they all owned that thing and let it continue to sit in a barn.
At least their kids can go to college and Mom and Dads can pay that damn house off.
I would think the old man would want the best for them and would rather see them sell it and all prosper through life, then sit on it and struggle and end up not going as far as they could have because of finacial burdons.

I won a storage auction a few years ago, and the guy had a lamp, a bike, a typewriter, a TV, another bike, a trashbag with over 9k cash, and some foreign money, two rocket launcher things and 7 cool guns, I paid $150 cause I wanted the bike sweet

at a storage facility. duh. they have em every few months to clean out space from ppl who stop paying their storage fees. alot of the time they won't even look through all the stuff in the locker before it gets auctioned off, so sometimes you can get some killer deals, but at the same time, you're responsible to dispose of all the stuff that is in there even if you don't want it.

Imma check this shit out when I get some extra money!!

Mi Beardo es Loco
01-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Can you drift it? NO?????? then why should I care? ;)

ericcastro
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Can you drift it? NO?????? then why should I care? ;)
I am sure I can drift it.
Can you? Not sure.:mepoke:

If this does, that car prolly will too
YouTube - Will it drift? Binz Hearse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOS-7vWLWA)

KA24DESOneThree
01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I love barn finds. This, while not the ultimate in coolness, is probably around the ultimate in price.

More interesting barn finds:
-Ex-works race cars (How sweet would a 917K unused since 1971 be?)
-Rare dealer-modified muscle cars wearing the original paint with all the dealer graphics
-Personal race cars with period go-fast gear (MGB GT done up Sebring-style with a Juddson supercharger, Avon rubber, and some real mag Minilites comes to mind)