PDA

View Full Version : From 240SX To WRX

BLiTz
02-16-2003, 11:52 AM
I have be recently debating what my next car will be, and i am seriously looking into a WRX, i know that a big difference from my 92 FB, but am planning on auctioning it off in about 2 years and possibly gettin a WRX, whats yalls imput on this, nothing is possitive yet, but im really concidering it...
Thanks,

mrdirty
02-16-2003, 11:55 AM
if u want a wrx more than a 240 then sell it
if u want a 240 more than a wrx then keep it

what else can anyone say? It's your money.

SimpleS14
02-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Get a 2004 WRX STi......that's what I would do.....

vapor_skank
02-16-2003, 12:56 PM
AWD...........

Kreator
02-16-2003, 01:21 PM
post again in 2 years

S13_RB20?!?
02-16-2003, 02:08 PM
the present WRX's look fugly. The new sti 04' look a lot better. IMO though i say get the Z. the insurance will be a pain considering it's a two dooer two seat sports coupe but it'll be worht it. 287hp n/a need i say more??

Justin-ATL
02-16-2003, 02:19 PM
2yrs is a long time to change your mind.

misnomer
02-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Don't debate it for another year and six months.

SimpleS14
02-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by S13_RB20?!?
the present WRX's look fugly. The new sti 04' look a lot better. IMO though i say get the Z. the insurance will be a pain considering it's a two dooer two seat sports coupe but it'll be worht it. 287hp n/a need i say more??

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/wrxsti/images/sti_full/07.jpg

2004 WRX STi:
* 300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
* 2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
* Full-time All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
* Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
* Suretrac viscous limited slip front differential
* 4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted struts
* 6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter

Also comes with enough room to seat four.....gotta think about the future.

Nuff said.......:p

Silviaspeed
02-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Isn't Subaru packing 300HP into the STi when it debuts? If thats true, I'd hang onto the 240 and wait for that to come out.

moose
02-16-2003, 04:19 PM
need we say anymore?
Subaru the beauty of AWD.

Oh did we not mention on this board that Japanese cars are 100x better than american cars? Yes I thought so.

KiDyNomiTe
02-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Wait like 3-4 months, and get the STi, it's supposed to come out this summer. At least with a new car you know it will be more reliable (if you take care of it, and break it in right). Everyone loves out of the factory turbo cars, especially ones that will whoop the EVOs butt (I think), I am not too hung up on the looks but it is a step above the WRX, but two steps below a 2001 2.5 RS.

In the end it is your money, so you pick. You could always buy some **** beater S13 from an auction or something and build it up yourself.

BLiTz
02-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Yea, i would love to have a 2004 WRX STi, but i guess only time will tell eh? and why the hell can't i have a S15 Silvia SpecR, but don't get me wrong, i love my 240, but i just wish it wasn't 11 years old, but she won't have a 11 year old engine in her soon, so ill prob love it alot more soon, and im not jumping the gun talkin about 2 years in the future, but wanted to post something and was making conversation, so don't waste your flaming breath:D

Kreator
02-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by GT specR
http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/wrxsti/images/sti_full/07.jpg

2004 WRX STi:
* 300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
* 2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
* Full-time All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
* Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
* Suretrac viscous limited slip front differential
* 4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted struts
* 6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter

Also comes with enough room to seat four.....gotta think about the future.

Nuff said.......:p

Still ugly though hehe j/k Although i don't like seeing it on the streets, looks ****in awesome in all the rally vids. But then all cars look hot there :)

and moose, you are a dumbass.

masta
02-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah like everyone is saying: save up as much as you can until the new STi comes out. Then test drive it and decide then. Who knows you may keep your 240SX; the test drive can tell you a lot.

I am also kinda in your shoes. I really want to get a 240SX Fastback and modify it. But I am going to graduate in the summer and will have a REAL job by then where I can afford the STi or the G35 coupe. So should I wait or just buy the cheaper 240SX and not be in debt? :confused:

Or get both? One car for fun, another for looks. :)

Or get the fastback and another 240SX coupe to do a full skyline conversion with RB25? :D

No I am not showing off or spoiled, just wanting to reward myself for 5 years of pain staking college and a total of 19 years of school. :eek:

S13_RB20?!?
02-16-2003, 08:35 PM
if it comes down to the future hmmm lets see the GT-R! the Z is at only 287hp yeah add a turbo and that car will beat the WRX.

"need we say anymore?
Subaru the beauty of AWD.

Oh did we not mention on this board that Japanese cars are 100x better than american cars? Yes I thought so."

moose: where you indacating that the 350Z was a american built car...? hmm if so does the words fairlady Z33 mean anything to you...?;) all the subura's i believe are AWD. yeah the WRX STi is a bad @ss car. but it's still a rally car. TO ME, having a track is better, depening on were you live, is better.

drift freaq
02-16-2003, 09:26 PM
350 Z is built in Japan . Though the design of it came from a competition between the 4 different major market Nissan arms. The design from Nissan North America here in socal was the inner. I think that is what he is confusing the made in America claim with.

SimpleS14
02-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Kreator
Although i don't like seeing it on the streets, looks ****in awesome in all the rally vids. But then all cars look hot there :)

I've been watching WRC and I think the car looks hot. My favorite WRC car is the 206. :)

mrmephistopheles
02-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by BLiTz
I have be recently debating what my next car will be, and i am seriously looking into a WRX, i know that a big difference from my 92 FB, but am planning on auctioning it off in about 2 years and possibly gettin a WRX, whats yalls imput on this, nothing is possitive yet, but im really concidering it...
Thanks,

I have been recently debating what my next car will be, and I am seriously considering the WRX. I know that it's very different from my '92 fastback, but I'll probably auction it off in about 2 years and get the WRX then. What is your input on this? I haven't made up my mind yet, and your opinion could sway me

If you want a WRX, wait a bit and get the STi.

240Dori
02-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Personally I will never buy anything except for rwd compacts for the rest of my life...no other car style gives you the control and feeling like a rwd compact...

mistert
02-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 240Dori
Personally I will never buy anything except for rwd compacts for the rest of my life...no other car style gives you the control and feeling like a rwd compact...

not even a GT-R? then you get the control and feel of a rwd compact but al the advantages of AWD

240Dori
02-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mistert
not even a GT-R? then you get the control and feel of a rwd compact but al the advantages of AWD

I really like oversteer...besides we will never get the GT-R so i will stick to my former statement.

mistert
02-17-2003, 01:15 PM
what do ya mean never get GT-R? they're supposed to go on sale here this year

240Dori
02-17-2003, 01:30 PM
although it may come to the states in time i doubt it will be relesed this year...i guess what i should have said is...I am a poor ass collage student who likes his 240sx and wont have the money for a gtr anytime soon....now can we be done.

SR240DET
02-17-2003, 02:12 PM
isnt power to weight ratio something to look at? but then again.. what do i know.. im 17.. :mad:

BLiTz
02-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Holly Crap, ur in niceville SR240DET:eek: Im in Destin, just never seen anybody on this forum that lives nearby...

SimpleS14
02-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 240Dori

When it comes to getting a crap load of snow I would take a AWD sedan over a RWD compact. But then again I rather have both.....two cars. :)

240Dori
02-17-2003, 04:33 PM
living in the dead of a michigan winter i know all about the problems that come with a super light rwd car....but although the winters can be a struggle i feel that the summer spring and fall outweigh any hardships suffered in the winter.

toddnappi
02-17-2003, 05:47 PM
You could have a badass 240 for the cost of an STI. I always lean toward to modding the used car over buying/financing the new car. That big hood scoop looks dumb, even if it is functional.

Rockenreno
02-17-2003, 10:32 PM
just go for a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution instead. Those rock, and they are also just being released in the USA. If you are going to wait a while though, they are going to up the current Evolution to a 6-speed and fix up the dumbed-down Active Yaw Control they are sending over here this year...

S13_RB20?!?
02-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Rockenreno
just go for a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution instead. Those rock, and they are also just being released in the USA. If you are going to wait a while though, they are going to up the current Evolution to a 6-speed and fix up the dumbed-down Active Yaw Control they are sending over here this year... thus the EVOVIII

Rockenreno
02-17-2003, 10:46 PM
the EVO VIII is the one they are releasing right now. Unfortunately it is only 5-speed and 271 hp with about 273 tq. With the release of the STi by Subaru at 300 hp, Mitsubishi is going to have to retaliate and beef up the EVO closer to it is in Japan. Perhaps a Ralliart edition or EVO VIII.5... I wish they'd just release the V or VI here though, they looked the best:D

s14 RL
02-17-2003, 10:55 PM
I'd rather have a nimble rwd car than a porky awd car...

S13_RB20?!?
02-17-2003, 11:05 PM
i would have to agree. i would rather go with a RWD car then AWD car. i heard a lot of things about the AWD cars and alot of it is power loss. a lot of ppl say that with all AWD drive cars in order for the car to go any where, all the power have to travle threw all four of the wheels in order for it to go any where which resluts in a slow launch. i know this kid who brough a WRX two years ago and he told me that no matter how hard he tries he can't get a good launch even if he's at roll'n start he couldn't get out. like i said before if you live in a area in which cases it rains alot or snows alot then go for AWD or if you plan on rally'n it other that i would stick with RWD.

240fluke
02-17-2003, 11:28 PM
If he can't launch his AWD car, then he really either doesn't know how to or is just not any good at it. AWD cars can typically get out of the gate quicker than most FWD or RWD cars can, assuming equal drivers. Take a look at the 1/4 mile numbers for the current WRX sold in the states and then compare it to other cars, such as the 350Z. Similar 1/4 mile times.

Tim '95 SE

S13_RB20?!?
02-17-2003, 11:46 PM
i was just saying what he told me, but there is so truth behind this b/c when i was on the express way last year i seen a black WRX with full HKS exhaust FMIC and the works and i just nood indicating that he had a nice car then i jsut automatically assumed that i wanted to race so he downshifted and try to tak off and it took him a little while for the car to respond. i wasn't tha impressed. yeah once the car started to move it was fast but for the start i was more dissapointed.

WRX compared to the 350Z lets see boost vs n/a it's not all that even. yeah i did say i would take the Z over the WRX but if you read the small print i also said "add a turbo..."

not only wit the WRX (keeping AWD in mind) a lot of ppl that i know would rather take the eclipse GS-T over the GSX for the same reason...both turbo cars. this guy that i know that was in my auto tech class was tell this guy that if he was going to get turbo eclpise he should go wit the GS-T simply b/c the power is only going to the front wheels and the power isn't distributed threw all the wheels.

SimpleS14
02-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by toddnappi
You could have a badass 240 for the cost of an STI. I always lean toward to modding the used car over buying/financing the new car. That big hood scoop looks dumb, even if it is functional.

That's true but you have to take reliablity, value of car (in case of accident), family (if possible), money, and lifestyle into play when you get a car (IMO).

DarkRaptor42
02-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Heres the reason why I cant buy a WRX. Its meant to be a rally car, so Id treat it like such. As much as I dont want to I know I would.... I like the idea of keeping both but thats a tought choice to make. Id choose my 350 over a WRX though.

s14 RL
02-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by GT specR
That's true but you have to take reliablity, value of car (in case of accident), family (if possible), money, and lifestyle into play when you get a car (IMO).

Reliability - I've seen more people break down with wrx's than with 240s.

Value of Car (accident) - you can usually get your insurance company to insure the additional aftermarket parts you have in the car as long as you provide proof.

Money - you can have a badass 240 that will destroy a wrx in handling and straightline speed for cheaper than the cost of a wrx.

So what it comes down to is mainly family and lifestyle. I choose a 240sx because I don't have a family to drive to soccer practice and I don't deal with snow.

SimpleS14
02-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by s14 RL
Reliability - I've seen more people break down with wrx's than with 240s.

Value of Car (accident) - you can usually get your insurance company to insure the additional aftermarket parts you have in the car as long as you provide proof.

Money - you can have a badass 240 that will destroy a wrx in handling and straightline speed for cheaper than the cost of a wrx.

So what it comes down to is mainly family and lifestyle. I choose a 240sx because I don't have a family to drive to soccer practice and I don't deal with snow.

Like I said... IMO = In My Opinion :p

It's all good....that's your own opinion. ;)

masta
02-18-2003, 12:57 PM
The new Evolution is kinda ugly to me, they need to get rid of the altezza-like lights, but to each his own.

Backing up GT specR's idea against s14 RL's: Yeah you can get a REALLY nice 240SX that will spank the STi for half the price of the it, but you have to remember that you would be working with older technology and have an older car. It will die on you and be outdated due to it just being old in the long run, unless you put a lot more money into it or drive like Takumi Fujiwaru ;) .

Something to think about, but for the short term a 240 will be good for now.

s14 RL
02-18-2003, 12:58 PM
I should qualify my statement then: "IMO" ;)

s14 RL
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by masta
The new Evolution is kinda ugly to me, they need to get rid of the altezza-like lights, but to each his own.

Backing up GT specR's idea against s14 RL's: Yeah you can get a REALLY nice 240SX that will spank the STi for half the price of the it, but you have to remember that you would be working with older technology and have an older car. It will die on you and be outdated due to it just being old in the long run, unless you put a lot more money into it or drive like Takumi Fujiwaru ;) .

Something to think about, but for the short term a 240 will be good for now.

I think it's more an issue of time than money. If you can do the work on your own and you can recognize and address minor problems before they turn into serious problems then you'll be fine. I'll have to disagree with your "older technology, older car...outdated" comment because my _opinion_ is that this doesn't really apply to things such as weight or RWD vs AWD.

So for people like me who are willing to fix whatever problems might come up with their cars, rather than looking at it from an "older technology, older car standpoint" we look at it in terms of what we want in a car. What I want is a car that is not porky and is rwd.

This is all my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt or whatevers...

I think Takumi would choose his ae86 over a wrx anyday ;)

SimpleS14
02-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by s14 RL
I think Takumi would choose his ae86 over a wrx anyday ;)

He almost lost to that EVO VI (i think its that one).....

bah...nvm

Takumi ownz http://members.aol.com/GTspecR/images/cruise.gif

BTW....I would still take the WRX over my car....its can seat three girls with comfort to spare. :D

<-- being silly right now

formeRiceR
02-20-2003, 02:25 PM
More room than a S14 but not that much more room...it's like a coupe with 2 extra doors....it's small back there

BLiTz
02-20-2003, 02:35 PM
masta, i fully agree with your statement, and that was one of my points...also you have to look at the cars in the stock form...it takes alot of money alone to get a 240 to the condition and performance standards of the stock wrx, then more money to give them a run for there money...now don't take that the wrong way, i feel that theres gonna be flame coming on for that. But o-well just tryin to back the argument, but when it all comes down to reality, i still have a 92 240 thats due for a swap in april, and ALOT of other crap on its list, one hellll of a list i might add. Take it easy guys:D