PDA

View Full Version : beat red lights? thank you science channel

eastcoastS14
12-19-2008, 11:32 PM
so this might be common knowledge but it was just watching the show Brink on Science HD...and they run this segment on home made inventions...so this dude shows you how to force red lights to change on a motorcycle or small car. Basically the deal is that if your car or bike is too light the sensors below the pavement wont detect it and you can get stuck waiting. However, if you do this you can trigger the sensors....

Trigger Green Lights: Kip Kay: Brink: Science Channel (http://science.discovery.com/brink/kip-kay/green-light/green-light.html)

Trigger green lights!

What You'll Need:
2 Neodymium magnets - Kips uses magnets that have a pulling force of over 6lbs each
Some heavy duty exterior mounting tape
Optional: A waterproof, rust-proof pill holder

Steps:
Cut off a small strip of tape
Tape the magnets together with one side of the tape
Tape the magnets to your to the underside of scooter or motorcycle with the other side of the tape - perpendicular to the direction of travel.
If you desire, you can put the magnets into a waterproof, rust-proof pill holder and then mount the pill holder to your vehicle.

What the heck is going on here:
At most traffic lights and turn signals, you will notice a loop of wire buried in the pavement of the road near the stop line. This is called an Inductive-loop traffic detector that operates by sensing a change in frequency to the electromagnetic field over the coil of wire. In other words, when a car pulls up, it senses the vehicle and the light changes. Most motorcycles, scooters, bicycles and small cars don't have enough conductive material to trigger these loops and change the traffic light.

maybe an old trick but first ive heard of it and pretty badass if u ask me

I10cruiser
12-19-2008, 11:47 PM
cool. . can magnets from after speakers work? . . i mean strong enough?

OptionZero
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
It's not actually going to change a red light to green instantaneously . . .

I10cruiser
12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
well yeah. . .but la at3 am. . i hate waiting 2 minutes for a light to change

eastcoastS14
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
It's not actually going to change a red light to green instantaneously . . .

true...there are some lights around me that seriously take like 5minutes to change if ur there late night, so annoying..and i usually dont run them cause i just imagine a cop staking it out somewhere out of sight, idk

they actually do sell things that change lights, they did a report on it on my local news about ppl who bought the strobes that ambulance's have in them, they flash the traffic lights and they change supposedly...i guess ppl were buying them off ebay and putting them in their cars

DataXUnknown
12-20-2008, 01:37 AM
this reminds me of the ol' TV remote changing the street light trick. apparently some lights have sensors on the top for emergency vehicles, and if you press the power button on the remote or somthing like that a bunch of times it replicates a emergency vehicle and will change the light.

BustedS13
12-20-2008, 03:25 AM
well yeah. . .but la at3 am. . i hate waiting 2 minutes for a light to change

that's just how the light's timed. this is for motorcycles and other small vehicles that don't have the mass to actually trigger a light. it says so in the description

also, most lights in the county seem to be camera controlled now anyway

...might as well throw some magnets on the rails anyway, why not

HalveBlue
12-20-2008, 07:15 AM
they actually do sell things that change lights, they did a report on it on my local news about ppl who bought the strobes that ambulance's have in them, they flash the traffic lights and they change supposedly...i guess ppl were buying them off ebay and putting them in their cars

Hehehe, I remember a story about a guy who used to do just that.

Most modern traffic lights have a sensor that allows them to recognize when an emergency vehicle is approaching in order to make sure first responders aren't held up at red lights.

I don't think it works for all vehicles though. I think the strobe has to be at a certain height in order for the light to be triggered. I may be wrong about that though and perhaps it works with all vehicles.

98s14inaz
12-20-2008, 07:52 AM
so this might be common knowledge but it was just watching the show Brink on Science HD...and they run this segment on home made inventions...so this dude shows you how to force red lights to change on a motorcycle or small car. Basically the deal is that if your car or bike is too light the sensors below the pavement wont detect it and you can get stuck waiting. However, if you do this you can trigger the sensors....

Trigger Green Lights: Kip Kay: Brink: Science Channel (http://science.discovery.com/brink/kip-kay/green-light/green-light.html)

Trigger green lights!

What You'll Need:
2 Neodymium magnets - Kips uses magnets that have a pulling force of over 6lbs each
Some heavy duty exterior mounting tape
Optional: A waterproof, rust-proof pill holder

Steps:
Cut off a small strip of tape
Tape the magnets together with one side of the tape
Tape the magnets to your to the underside of scooter or motorcycle with the other side of the tape - perpendicular to the direction of travel.
If you desire, you can put the magnets into a waterproof, rust-proof pill holder and then mount the pill holder to your vehicle.

What the heck is going on here:
At most traffic lights and turn signals, you will notice a loop of wire buried in the pavement of the road near the stop line. This is called an Inductive-loop traffic detector that operates by sensing a change in frequency to the electromagnetic field over the coil of wire. In other words, when a car pulls up, it senses the vehicle and the light changes. Most motorcycles, scooters, bicycles and small cars don't have enough conductive material to trigger these loops and change the traffic light.

maybe an old trick but first ive heard of it and pretty badass if u ask me

I want to try that on the speed camera's in AZ. They run on a similar system except it gets a reading by measuring the time it takes to hit one sensor and then the other. The funny part is that the sensors all get ran together all the way though the shoulder to the camera system. A bored person could probably put some of those magnets on the lines and really fuck with people lol