PDA

View Full Version : What about these coilovers?

RedlineRacer
02-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I am thinking about lowering my car, but I don't like the idea of having it set at a certain height. So, I am wanting coilovers, but I am not willing to pay around a grand for some teins or jic. How do you think these coilovers are? Isn't aerospeed a decent name?
coilovers (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2403450863&rd=1)

LOwrestling2001
02-13-2003, 09:18 PM
sorry, arospeed is POS, rice,..watever uw anna call it. besides, TEIN and JIC ur lookin at are full coilovers with shocks...the coilovers that u are lookin at are only sleeves that are height adjustable...however if uw anna go w sleeves, ground control is decent, pair them up with good shocks and it makes a decent combo

Driftin_240sx
02-13-2003, 11:25 PM
yes i will second that...anything that is like... obx,arospeed,matrix...i cant remember anymore, are a piece of sh*t .. i sell those at my shop to i dont know how many hondas for 100$ a set. if u are going to buy somethin, save up and buy somethin quality. we dont need anymore people bouncin down the road cause of sh**ty coilovers... unless u drive a honda then its ok..

david

Dousan_PG
02-14-2003, 07:27 AM
POS dont waste your time
get ground controls instead.

Zemus
02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Im very glad you brought up these coilovers, i was going to ask about them also, cuz i see those 3 brands on Ebay alot, thanks guys.

RedlineRacer
02-14-2003, 11:00 AM
how much does a good set of ground control springs cost? like i said, teins and jic are just way too much, i would rather go with a grand more and have a nice set of bags on my car then. what are a few good names of ground control springs?

sykikchimp
02-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Are you gonna be fitting these to your Stock Shocks?

AKADriver
02-14-2003, 12:00 PM
airbags? :rolleyes: never mind. Buy whatever crap you want.

NiteKids
02-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver
airbags? :rolleyes: never mind. Buy whatever crap you want.

Oh ****! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!

deltrr
02-14-2003, 05:37 PM
k heres the deal:

if you want to spend like 300 or whatever on some ground controls / areospeed / obx coils, then realize that all its going to do is lower your car. your dampening rate will not change (thus, youll bottom out all over the place), your shocks will blow very pre-maturely (due to the springs higher rates pounding away at the shock all the time), and your handling will not increase anymore than about 3% (having a lower center of grav does help a bit, but the fact that youll just have massive body roll and chassis flex, well.. its nasty.) also, driving at high speeds means your springs will massivly overrate your shocks, causing the classic 'ricer' suspension bounce. In a handbasket, buying just coils on stock shocks is just a dumb idea.

now if your using for car for the track/agressive driving - the bottom line is getting teins/jic/cusco/any full blown coilover system (struts, spring, pillowball mount(front)). the reasoning behind that is this:
purchasing just coils and shocks: you could go with a really nice shock/spring combo such as Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro kits. Alternativly, you could buy ground controls with the Koni yellows (GC uses eibach springs anyway) but your still looking at right around $1000 in equipment (300 for coilovers, and 150 for each koni + tax + installation(if your not car savy))

therefore, one might as well dish out around $1100-1400 for some Tein HA's or HE's. HE's are about 200 more than HA's but they come with pillowball mounts. (I have HE's, love them) Tein also offers lifetime full rebuild on the shocks if they ever blow.

Just my two cents. hopefully this helps

love,
deltrr

HaLo
02-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by deltrr
k heres the deal:

if you want to spend like 300 or whatever on some ground controls / areospeed / obx coils, then realize that all its going to do is lower your car. your dampening rate will not change (thus, youll bottom out all over the place), your shocks will blow very pre-maturely (due to the springs higher rates pounding away at the shock all the time), and your handling will not increase anymore than about 3% (having a lower center of grav does help a bit, but the fact that youll just have massive body roll and chassis flex, well.. its nasty.) also, driving at high speeds means your springs will massivly overrate your shocks, causing the classic 'ricer' suspension bounce. In a handbasket, buying just coils on stock shocks is just a dumb idea.

now if your using for car for the track/agressive driving - the bottom line is getting teins/jic/cusco/any full blown coilover system (struts, spring, pillowball mount(front)). the reasoning behind that is this:
purchasing just coils and shocks: you could go with a really nice shock/spring combo such as Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro kits. Alternativly, you could buy ground controls with the Koni yellows (GC uses eibach springs anyway) but your still looking at right around $1000 in equipment (300 for coilovers, and 150 for each koni + tax + installation(if your not car savy))

therefore, one might as well dish out around $1100-1400 for some Tein HA's or HE's. HE's are about 200 more than HA's but they come with pillowball mounts. (I have HE's, love them) Tein also offers lifetime full rebuild on the shocks if they ever blow.

Just my two cents. hopefully this helps

love,
deltrr

Actually, with Ground Control you can select other spring rates. I just bought a set with 440/330lbs springs: harder than the cheaper TEINs!

tnord
02-14-2003, 06:53 PM
i love how people dismiss GC's as being crap, it's hilarious. :D

HaLo
02-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by tnord
i love how people dismiss GC's as being crap, it's hilarious. :D

Tnord, do you have GC's? I just got mine... They aren't installed yet. I thought they would be a very good compromise to coilovers... I was personnally quite surprise about the spring rate though... Any inputs on them?

tnord
02-14-2003, 08:39 PM
no i don't. but i'm 90% sure that they'll wind you whatever spring rates you want, so if you don't like them, well, it's pretty much your own fault.

and btw.........that is a coilover

HaLo
02-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by tnord
no i don't. but i'm 90% sure that they'll wind you whatever spring rates you want, so if you don't like them, well, it's pretty much your own fault.

and btw.........that is a coilover

I knew that... ;)

Well thanks for the response!

deltrr
02-15-2003, 09:24 AM
i never said GC was crap, i said the combo with stock shock is crap, and a combo with good strut costs too close to the tein

YellwMonky
02-15-2003, 10:46 AM
When I was looking into Ground Controls, I was looking at spending around $600. No where near the $1000+ range. Oh well....Oh yeah, and GC's for the S13 are meant to be used with an aftermarket shocks/struts. Just because it would feel like crap with the stock struts doesn't take anything away from GC's...GC's are not even in the same league as OBX or AroSpeed Coilovers...I'm sorry, but your 3% talk on handling improvement is just plain stupid. just my 14 cents.

deltrr
02-15-2003, 03:42 PM
lol, k.

rps13sh
10-19-2003, 04:37 PM
quick question HALO. whats the difference between a LE and SE model?

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-19-2003, 04:48 PM
just cut the stock springs man. sh*t, im so ghetto i dont even have springs :rolleyes: just buy regular springs, if your gonna get coilovers might as well buy the whole setup. ;)

RoscoYoungno13
10-19-2003, 10:36 PM
why hasnt anyone mentioned endless zeal as a quality company??

dori2 s13coupe
10-19-2003, 11:24 PM
USED COILOVERS!... ill help u search for some if u want....

HaLo
10-20-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by rps13sh
quick question HALO. whats the difference between a LE and SE model?

LE has leather interior

SE has cloth interior
Optional Side-skirts and rear apron on HICAS equiped Canadian models.

rps13sh
10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
interesting. thats for the reply. knowing is half the battle :D