PDA

View Full Version : who plays the piano?

silpena
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
i'm thinking of learning to play the piano since i wanna do something new and get a new hobby. Anyone here know how to play? is it hard and how long did you take to learn from the basics to a pro. I signed up for a class at my local college to just add up units. Any recommendations on what kind of piano to buy? :hyper:I'm excited to learn becuase its the one instrument i always waned to learn and play. My big bro shreds on the guitar so i cant copy him.

Teddy
12-16-2008, 12:16 AM
I can play, kind of, but I can't read music at all. Piano takes a lot of hand coordination, and being able to do separate things with your hands. I have a lot of trouble with that...

Good luck, piano is an awesome instrument! I think it tops everything, except for maybe accordion.

LongGrain
12-16-2008, 12:22 AM
i really wish i knew how to play.

silpena
12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
i know i have pretty good hand and eye coordination(used to be able to draw very well/top of my class) but i dont think its the same. Hopefully i can get good at it and just get down on it. I would love to be able to write my own songs just based on how i am feeling.

slamed_s13
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I know how to play too. I was just playing not too long ago, lol. I'm learning how to play jazz right now :D. Definitely, learning how to play Classical is the way to start. Good luck bro, it takes a lot of practice.

ALTRNTV
12-16-2008, 12:55 AM
If you want to buy a keyboard, stick with any kind of Yamaha. This is what I have, it's old,
but it gets the job done. I use it as a MIDI board as well for producing.

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/picture_archiv/products/10_Musical_instruments/portable_keyboards/keyboards/portatone_psr_series/psr195_medium_jpg.jpg

Any model from their PSR-XXX line is good.

Good for you that you're trying to learn an instrument. The ladies love guys who do that,
and it'll probably help you out since we all know about your current girl situations hahaha.
What kind of songs do you want to play?

ESmorz
12-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse

gets them panties wet

silpena
12-16-2008, 01:14 AM
If you want to buy a keyboard, stick with any kind of Yamaha. This is what I have, it's old,
but it gets the job done. I use it as a MIDI board as well for producing.

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/picture_archiv/products/10_Musical_instruments/portable_keyboards/keyboards/portatone_psr_series/psr195_medium_jpg.jpg

Good for you that you're trying to learn an instrument. The ladies love guys who do that,
and it'll probably help you out since we all know about your current girl situations hahaha.
What kind of songs do you want to play?

yeah it'll help with my girl problems and keep me from going to her. Basically the reason i want to learn. It was a suggestion from my big bro who plays the guitar and wants me to get a new hobby to kill time and be by myself and relax. Yeah i think i might get a key board since i have little room for a full sized piano. I wanna be be a baller one day and have one of the baby grand piano all in black velvet and drop panties with my sexy romantic songs lol. Well i like old classical songs but there a few songs i like and wanted to learn like "let it be" from the beetles. A song to me that is inspirational right now and just any song i can learn. All i know is i always thought the piano was the best instrument. Hell, i might even take vocal classes in college to sing ha ha .

i can see myself drinking a scotch and in a black suit with a lady on my piano while seduce her with my skills.

ill have to see what i am required by my teacher on what to have. Iwas gonna pay for private lesson but i figured why no get it free in college while i finish my auto classes.

HyperTek
12-16-2008, 01:15 AM
i got a yamaha psr-293 sitting next to me.. i do not know how to play.. wish i did. I jus use the keyboard to produce some beats as well.. but i perfer my lite m-audio midi board to toss around.. i usually play with my akai mpd24 midi controller.

But i hear learning how to actually play will improve your music production/beat making tremendously.

get an m-audio axiom so you can make some songs/beats on your computer
http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/CLAVIER+M+AUDIO+AXIOM+49.JPG

BustedS13
12-16-2008, 01:15 AM
If you want to buy a keyboard, stick with any kind of Yamaha.

true dat. my first and still only keyboard is a PSR-510.

http://members.chello.hu/todor.anett/hangszerpsr510.jpg

i haven't played regularly for a few years. i'd really like to get an actual piano and stick it in the living room, bang out a couple songs every once in a while.

....or a keytar. then i could assume the burnout guitar playing skeeze position on the couch and jam.

http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/yamaha_shs-10.jpg

ALTRNTV
12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Hell, i might even take vocal classes in college to sing ha ha .
Do it. A piano and a song. Can't beat that. I learned how to play the piano and guitar by myself. Just takes
patience and and a ton of practice. My cousin gave me pointers on vocal techniques and they helped.
Now I songwrite and produce my own music. Music also helps you relax and get away from everyday problems.

HyperTek
12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
lets hear your songs simoun!!

ALTRNTV
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
It's a work in progress. I'm a perfectionist so it's gotta be right. Kind of hard when I have a popular musician/artist as a cousin,
so I measure myself to him. lol

drift freaq
12-16-2008, 01:30 AM
knowing how to play music is key to songwriting. Cutting and pasting other peoples samples of licks and whatnot is just assembly. Being able to play your own original lines is where its at. Especially if you want to write memorable music. I learned Basic Piano as a kid. I then worked for years perfecting my writing. There is no such thing as a musician ever being done. We are always learning.

playthe_part
12-16-2008, 01:31 AM
i took lessons as a kid, and it helps with motor skills and all that, i was alright, but i was discouraged because my grandfather was the best musician i have ever known, he could pick up anything and master it, but he was exceptionally good with a piano. i expected to be that good right away and wasn't and eventually stopped taking lessons and i wish i didn't. i can read music though which is good, i taught myself fur elise and some of moonlight sonata which i am proud of. really, just stick with it, don't get too discouraged and don't pick up bad habits (keep wrists straight, keep back straight).

i agree with everyone else, get a good keyboard first since even upright pianos are expensive. learning to read musical notes i think is important, since music is a universal language, and say you want to learn another instrument, if you can read music it just makes it that much easier.

ALTRNTV
12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I wish I knew how to read notes. I learned by ear. I still don't have it all down, but I'm
working on it.

silpena
12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Do it. A piano and a song. Can't beat that. I learned how to play the piano and guitar by myself. Just takes
patience and and a ton of practice. My cousin gave me pointers on vocal techniques and they helped.
Now I songwrite and produce my own music. Music also helps you relax and get away from everyday problems.

yeah i need something else to help me relax from every day problems. I worry to much and think too much on bad things so it makes everything else. All i have is the gym(did for the past 4 years) but its only an hour a day.
defiantly take the vocal classes now. I need to add up more units to be full time next semester sine my auto classes are so spaced out i have huge time gaps plus i know chics will be in there. Idk if i can sing but i dont know if i dont try. Who knows??? American idol guys? ha ha ha ill do it just to get on tv.

hmmm a guitar and key board as stupid as it looks i wanna do it lmao id be so damn cool with that thing. I can just play that outside the mall and make chump change.

now this is what i want. Just bad ass and pimp but alot $$$$
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/silpena/1008335590_853ecdd563.jpg

HyperTek
12-16-2008, 01:35 AM
I wish I knew how to read notes. I learned by ear. I still don't have it all down, but I'm
working on it.

awww man im lookin for inspiration too
was hopin to hear some of ur stuff so it could maybe motivate me lol
http://a279.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_63cf0edbf664d472b62baecb0789285e.jpg

i spend alot of time on FutureProducers.com - musicians learning from musicians (http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/) pretty good forum :wiggle:

BustedS13
12-16-2008, 01:36 AM
there was a wurlitzer baby grand for free on craigslist not too long ago. it needed a tune and blah blah blah. i really wish i'd picked it up, even though i have nowhere to put it.

silpena
12-16-2008, 01:37 AM
i have no problem keeping my posture and wrist straight. All the body building has made me learn and keep a straight posture so that wont be hard. Just the hand eye coordination and learning all the keys will be the hardest thing. Once i build a habit i think ill get it. Just gotta stick with it. Plus one of my friends might take the class with me so that'll make it even more fun plus ill have a partner in the class.

silpena
12-16-2008, 01:38 AM
there was a wurlitzer baby grand for free on craigslist not too long ago. it needed a tune and blah blah blah. i really wish i'd picked it up, even though i have nowhere to put it.
should have picked it up man! well there is a free upright piano for free in my town but has some keys missing. You can find some good deals on craigs list.

ALTRNTV
12-16-2008, 01:44 AM
I just listen to music all day long. That's inspiration enough for me. I listen to a lot of 50's-70's music, especially Sinatra.
I get enough inspiration from my cousin, just seeing the people who love to listen to his music, drives me to do it more.

I always have a small notebook around me so when I have some sort of inspiring quote or
line, i write it down and incorporate it in a song later on when I'm on my computer.

hmmm a guitar and key board as stupid as it looks i wanna do it lmao id be so damn cool with that thing.
That's doesn't look stupid at all. How is it stupid if you know how to play two instruments, let alone one?
Not everyone can play, so the ones who can play are already one up on other people.

punk138
12-16-2008, 01:45 AM
man i used to know how to play when i was like 13.

but we moved and had to get rid of the piano. :(

shits fun though!

silpena
12-16-2008, 01:54 AM
T
yeah you got me there man, idk the keytar was always made out to be a stupid/funny thing to me in movies. You are right its not.

soreballz
12-16-2008, 02:47 AM
I can play, kind of, but I can't read music at all.
Yupppp, same here. Its been a long ass time since I've played, though.

AznDrftr.
12-16-2008, 03:15 AM
yea i play too. play by ear. havent actually took the time to read sheet music, but willing to learn.

revat619
12-16-2008, 03:24 AM
i'm actually taking up the piano too. The coordination thing came really easy since i've been playing drums for a while. My problem is, like a lot of others, i cant read music! Well actually, i can pretty much read drum sheet music...but its different. The symbols are the same but now i have to read notes (sharps and flats....which is a stupid concept in itself) and cleffs? and a bunch of other random shit.... its actually reeeeeally irritating. Drums are so much easier. lol

buuuut the piano is dope. I sing too and basically i just want to be able to write my own stuff and actually play it. pluuuuuuss as we all know, ladies love that crap...hahaha

intel
12-16-2008, 03:49 AM
i'm thinking of learning to play the piano since i wanna do something new and get a new hobby. Anyone here know how to play? is it hard and how long did you take to learn from the basics to a pro. I signed up for a class at my local college to just add up units. Any recommendations on what kind of piano to buy? :hyper:I'm excited to learn becuase its the one instrument i always waned to learn and play. My big bro shreds on the guitar so i cant copy him.

i took lessons for 6 years as a kid and... quite the opposite to everyone else.. i can only read.. i cant play by ear worth a shit.

my advice - take a few intro classes, all you need to learn is how to read the basic notes. the rest is time dedication, and willingness to learn.

its not worth spending the money on an instructor.

also dont get a keyboard.. i mean dont buy an actual upright piano either, but get an electrical piano with all 88 keys. you can find them for like 400 bucks on CL

ticklemeermuel
12-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Never too late to start the piano, or any instrument in that manner. haha well finally a thread I can maybe put some useful input. I played the piano many years ago from age 6 to about age 12. A year later picked up the Trombone and have been playing since. I've been all over the place, took me to japan (of course way before I was ever into cars!), played at numerous jazz festivalsand heck I even studied Jazz & classical music at a well known Music Conservatory in New York. I currently freelance in the jazz scene out here in Los Angeles. So my advice, I guess from a "musician" is to go for it. Don't worry about the hand eye coordination, that will get there. Music is a good way to communicate your "soul", and at the same is a universal language in this world.

BustedS13
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
i took lessons for 6 years as a kid and... quite the opposite to everyone else.. i can only read.. i cant play by ear worth a shit.

that's how i am. i have no idea how anybody could pick up piano by ear. i think it's far too technical to get too far without knowing how to read a sheet.

but i was in band in 5th grade so learning sheet music wasn't really a big deal

silpena
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM

my advice - take a few intro classes, all you need to learn is how to read the basic notes. the rest is time dedication, and willingness to learn.

its not worth spending the money on an instructor.

also dont get a keyboard.. i mean dont buy an actual upright piano either, but get an electrical piano with all 88 keys. you can find them for like 400 bucks on CL

yeah i figured lessons would be worthless when i take a class for free. Ill make sue i get a piano with 88 keys. Wll, i got alot forr time on me to kill so i got that down.

blanco
12-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I been playing piano for 11 years now. I mostly play be ear and feel, but i also read music. I'm tryin to learn Jazz so I can start producing jazzy hip hop beats. But one thing i gotta say, no matter what anyone says, playing piano and singing def drops panties haha.

I have a W. Knabe grand piano and for my keyboard, i have a Technics KN7000.

http://www.kn7000.be/images/Kn7000.jpg