View Full Version : Autozone Axels???

Sileighty_85
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Did some searching didnt find anything on this. Mainly F/S threads and j30 crap.

Question is will autozone Axles handle +360f-lbs tq and drifting?

Drivetrain has OSGiken Twin plate(Unsprung) with Nismo 2 way, with 9.5J Rims with 215/40

Autozone guy says they'll hold 300f-lbs tq

Im usally against some of autozone's stuff but im heading on the 20th for a 400mile trip to AL to get Dyno tuned and see my family, and i dont trust my axles to make make the trip.
Boots are torn up from being too low and can hear the ball bearings rattleing around.

Its my only DD right now so i dont have time to pull them out and get rebuilt.
I also dont wanna hit up the junk yards for a pair of old dry rotted ones.

Autozone has them for like 70 bucks a side and thats fine I'll pay that im just worried if they will take the abuse.

If not, I dont wanna do this but i could steal them from my wifes Project S13(cars not running and no lift) if the Autozones wont hold it, im pretty sure they wont but i dont know.

If anyone knows for sure that'd be awsome.

Thanks,
Pat

LA_phantom_240
12-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't expect them to make it through the event with miles to spare...

lflkajfj12123
12-15-2008, 01:31 AM
don't do it man

THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/)

GSXRJJordan
12-15-2008, 01:38 AM
If I absolutely had to swap axles this week, I'd check here and if I couldn't find them here, get them from a junkyard.

I'd imagine Autozone axles are just stock-type stuff rebuilt, so it should hold up as well as the stock stuff. For $70/side, it's not a whole lot of money if you're wrong.

Oh, and the 215 series tire is the limiting factor there, there's no pair of 215's that will hold up to 300ft-lbs. I'd say you'll spin em before you break an axle.

ellisonrox
12-15-2008, 01:46 AM
take your wife's axles and give her the autozone ones?

picho
12-15-2008, 02:20 AM

LOL. That was funny but I would probably do the same.

mayco_86
12-15-2008, 02:23 AM
LOL. That was funny but I would probably do the same.

I would also do the same. But yeah just get the Autozone and find out if they can handle the abuse and if they do let us know. LOL

Sileighty_85
12-15-2008, 06:10 AM
If I absolutely had to swap axles this week, I'd check here and if I couldn't find them here, get them from a junkyard.

i know i just hate waiting for parts and dont wanna get them to 2 days before i gotta leave and run into a problem (my luck)

Junk yards S-chassis are rare, and if ya do find one someones smacked it into acurb. I was hoping not get some that'll rip open after a month.

I'd imagine Autozone axles are just stock-type stuff rebuilt, so it should hold up as well as the stock stuff. For $70/side, it's not a whole lot of money if you're wrong.

It weird but i think the guy said there was NO core charge on these axles?

i'd hate to find out and have them dancin around in my subframe goin 60mph

Oh, and the 215 series tire is the limiting factor there, there's no pair of 215's that will hold up to 300ft-lbs. I'd say you'll spin em before you break an axle.

Yeah i know just for informational purposes I figured someone would have asked.

I was thinking that too but her car is not running, slammed, and i aint gotta lift to pull them out.
Im not sure if i can pull them out from just jackin it up

I know im limiting my options, I wanted a new set that doesnt require me to bend over, lol so if it come down to it I'll steal the wifes lol.

I'm just hoping someone knows from experiance.

murda-c
12-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Im not sure if i can pull them out from just jackin it up

You can. It's not complicated or anything, as long as you've got the tools.

Sileighty_85
12-15-2008, 06:25 AM
You can. It's not complicated or anything, as long as you've got the tools.

I know its not complicated, i wasnt sure if space was a limiting factor on pulling them out, and realllllyyyy dont wanna have to drop the diff in the parking lot.

I just got over the Flu so thats why i seem lazy, dont wanna relaps over christmas.

projectRDM
12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
You don't have to drop the diff, it helps but is not required.

Most OTC stores carry rebuilt OE axles, they're all pretty much the same no matter where you buy them, so whoever has them cheapest is usually your best bet. If there's no core charge though then they could be new units sourced from outside the US, in that case they're maybe a bit less than OE quality but it's rare to break an axle on a 240 anyway, I know people do but it's not that common. For $140 you're guaranteed you can at least drive on them without further risk of damaging something else by driving on your already worn axles. As far as abuse, that's your call.

slider2828
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Ask to see the axles first, because from these OTC stores, the axles actually didn't fit my car. Look for rebuilt. The part that didn't fit are the 6 bolts that go into the diff. Mine were way off even though they said in their computer and on the box that it works for our cars.

Sileighty_85
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
You don't have to drop the diff, it helps but is not required.

Most OTC stores carry rebuilt OE axles, they're all pretty much the same no matter where you buy them, so whoever has them cheapest is usually your best bet. If there's no core charge though then they could be new units sourced from outside the US, in that case they're maybe a bit less than OE quality but it's rare to break an axle on a 240 anyway, I know people do but it's not that common. For $140 you're guaranteed you can at least drive on them without further risk of damaging something else by driving on your already worn axles. As far as abuse, that's your call.

Right on, Thanks.
I was lookin at Nappa and they sell refurbed ones,
NAPAONLINE® (http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NMD&PartNumber=955159&Description=Constant+Velocity+(CV)+Driveshaft+-+Right+Rear+-+Remfd)

Might go ahead and get these

Im thinkin buying these, doin my thing, and when i can swap with the wifes and get her's rebuilt with some stronger boots, cuz hers is just gonna be a DD for her.

Z33dori
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
autozone axles are pretty much stock

my buddy runs them on his 420WHP GTP..... if they break he gets new ones for free....

life time warranty ... makes them worth breaking
most of them have only broke when he was at the track..... SLICKS = hella grip of course

so for any 240 making less than 450whp, and not running slicks, should be fine

sideways7
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I've got autozone axles on my FC.

I couldnt find Turbo axles at the junk yards and needed them ASAP so I traded in some N/A axles for Turbo axles.

I havent had a problem with them but I'm not making anywhere near 300ft lbs of torque.

Like Z33dori said, they're rebuilt stockers so you should be fine.

g6civcx
12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
DSS Level 5 should last you forever unless you drag on insane torque: THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=559)

DJDANGER24
12-15-2008, 09:48 PM
well if your in SD and want to buy the axles, i work there and can get a 20% discount for you.

s13dan
12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
One way to find out.. I say get and see what happens they cant be that bad.

Flicktitty
12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
aren't AZ axles still lifetime warrenty.

go for it.

Sileighty_85
12-16-2008, 12:27 AM
alright well turns out i cant get them in the time I wanted them in.

Also i mixed the information in the begining

Advanced had them for $74 No Core so thats $148 (Limited Lifetime) but would not be here until Fri. Not gonna work cuz im leaving Friday.

AutoZone had them for 130 W/Core Charge!! So thats $260 Made by Duralast (Lifetime) and they would get her by Wend. which would be fine, but due to Christmas I dont wanna spend that much right now. (still gotta buy gifts for the family)

So it look like Im gonna steal the wifes Axles and probably seeing how much it would cost to get my old ones rebuilt.

but if shit doesnt go smooth or the weather gets too bad here I'll order the AutoZone ones

Thanks everyone for the replies and help

VQMaxFan
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Have a save trip dude, doubt you would wanna work on your car while over here, but there are a few cars in some of the junkyards around here w/ axles still on em.

Flicktitty
12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Have a safe trip man, Make sure to double check everything else on the car.

Tires/fluids/brakes/etc.

Sileighty_85
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
So i figured id update this, after going through another set of OEM used axles, and having to drive another 400 miles, i figured I would buy some new axles before they exploded on me or seize up while im out in BFE.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/DSCN1288.jpg

So i checked with a few stores and decided to go with O'Reilly's Master Pro Axles.
These referbished axles cost about $60 a side after core charge.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/DSCN1298.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/DSCN1300.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/DSCN1301.jpg
they redesigned the boots so for slammed cars like ours the boots dont touch each other and rub through

These also seem to hold up pretty good, I took the wife to IFO last weekend and decided to do a couple of passes on the drag strip.

They seem to hold up to 350ft tq. so not too shabby.

Sileighty_85
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Just a follow up.

Axles have been holdin up just fine since.

Even with the new LSD installed.

Banana_Cute
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
my friend breaks autozone axles in his B20 Vtec with like 220whp 180+/- tq. Keep in mind though this is on a drag strip with maybe some M/T slicks.

so yeah... probably not.

OLDSCHOOLRICE
01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I read this thread a couple of months back and decided to give some master pro axles a try. I havn’t had a chance to beat the crap out of them, per say, but I’m putting down 300/300 to the wheels with 255 r-compounds and they’re holding up just fine so far.

In a perfect world I’d rather drop a grand on some DSS axles, but for $120 for some reman axles I figured why not.

KiLLeR2001
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm due for some new axles, I'll have to give these a try.

herbieS13
01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
kinda late but i've been using AZ axels for a good 6 months now w 0 problems my car puts down 392f-lbs tq +-

tacobellman_2007
01-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for this; I didn't know if I should go with O'Reilly/Autozone axles or just look somewhere else. The spider assembly on my driver side is shot because of my boot tearing (I'd say a few months ago?) and that shit has been clunking for about a month now like there's no tomorrow.

My buddy gave me his driver side axle, but he was running with a torn boot on it as well and has no idea how long it's been like that. He hasn't had any clunking problems, but I feel like if I did replace his boot and ran his axle on mine, that thing would clunk after a couple months. From looking online it sounded like simply replacing the axle was way easier than taking it apart to clean the spider assembly and everything else that needed cleaning and then putting it all back together in hopes of not screwing anything up.

I'm wondering after 5+ years of purchasing, how have they held up, Sileighty_85? Probably gonna go to O'Reilly Auto and order a driver side and passenger side axle for my car right now...!

Sforteen
01-23-2015, 11:22 AM
I've broken multiple axles 1 stock one and 2 aftermarket ones, I broke the shaft on all of them, never broke the actual cv joint part.

hellaslows13
01-23-2015, 01:04 PM
No issues with the axles clicking?

Tom N
01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Wheel hop and drivetrain shock will bust axels quicker than simply the tq you are making.
My car makes 450tq and would breaks axels on radials. When on a bias ply tire and preloading the drivetrain before launching it has broke zero axels.

JSimpson
01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
there is no "magic" to axles. if you keep them greased up and sealed you will be fine. You can rebuild your own axles... odds are if it isn't dry and clunking the tripod is still fine. GET NEW BOOTS, get GOOD grease, clean everything in a parts cleaner or with brake clean, grease the tripods but DO NOT pack them. Re-install the new boots, clamp them down good, and you are good to go... chase the threads on the outside while you are at it and hit the inner with some sanding agent and rustoleum black paint, done.

Most racecars take A LOT worse abuse than drift cars due to jumping curbs and grip, and the axles last a lot longer than people would think, however they are greased after every weekend. The grease will push itself out of ripped boots and will ruin the axle... take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Sforteen
01-23-2015, 07:16 PM
ive got R32 GTR axles in my car and i havent broken 1 yet, im making around 650whp

Sileighty_85
01-28-2015, 04:46 AM
Old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for this; I didn't know if I should go with O'Reilly/Autozone axles or just look somewhere else. The spider assembly on my driver side is shot because of my boot tearing (I'd say a few months ago?) and that shit has been clunking for about a month now like there's no tomorrow.

My buddy gave me his driver side axle, but he was running with a torn boot on it as well and has no idea how long it's been like that. He hasn't had any clunking problems, but I feel like if I did replace his boot and ran his axle on mine, that thing would clunk after a couple months. From looking online it sounded like simply replacing the axle was way easier than taking it apart to clean the spider assembly and everything else that needed cleaning and then putting it all back together in hopes of not screwing anything up.

I'm wondering after 5+ years of purchasing, how have they held up, Sileighty_85? Probably gonna go to O'Reilly Auto and order a driver side and passenger side axle for my car right now...!

Glad to help. Axles are still holdin up strong. Before I put it in storage I hit a few drift Events and they have survived thus far.
ive got R32 GTR axles in my car and i havent broken 1 yet, im making around 650whp

Are you sure they are GT-R axles? GT-R axles are 5 bolts and the hub spline is bigger. so those wouldnt fit S-Chassis Hubs

Sforteen
01-28-2015, 06:37 AM
GTR axles are 6 bolt like a q45 or 300zx twin turbo, no large spline axles are 5 bolt. Yes I have the larger hubs installed in the car, the axles came out of a r32 gtr rear subframe i ordered.

Sileighty_85
01-28-2015, 07:34 AM
GTR axles are 6 bolt like a q45 or 300zx twin turbo, no large spline axles are 5 bolt. Yes I have the larger hubs installed in the car, the axles came out of a r32 gtr rear subframe i ordered.

Fat fingered ment 6 bolt.

gripROYAL
01-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Hey guys, wanted to chime in as I just recently did a Autozone-Axle swap on my S13. If you're familiar with our red car it's running 18x12 with 305/30/18 Nitto NT01 on the rear and then we swap down to a 18x10.5 with a 255/45/18 (or whatever is around this size and cheaper) Kenda/Nankang/Federal for the majority of our drift-day session. We're running a 350whp SR on a Z33 Transmission (Maverick Motorsport kit).

I blew the stock axles after finally changing to z33 after blowing a couple SR transmissions. Went to autozone for the convenience/price as time doesn't really permit junkyard-hunting. Everything looked good and nice, I also noticed the i different boots as noted above. Swapped them on and ran one event, the car rarely drives on the street, and they held up fine no problem or noises. Parked the car and decided to drive it down the street and after a few clutch kicks I started getting this LOUD knocking noise (sounds just like a horrible motor knock) from the pass. rear. It is throttle and speed based, only making noise under a load (not coasting, clutch in, etc). I have since driven the car on the street for a couple 'cruises' with some buddies and the knocking noise stays the same. We have adjusted all the rear suspension and eliminated that as the cause to pin-point the axles as the issue.

Note that I haven't tried adding grease to the autozone axles, I do believe this could be done to eliminate the noise and last longer as a buddy did recommend adding grease before originally installing.

Now, it's the most annoying sound to cruise with, horrible. Axles are working fine but I would assume at my next event after a few heavy clutch dumps they will go again just like the oem ones. SO I have purchased a set of oem used Z33 axles and the new Maverick Motorsport axle-conversion plates to give these a whirl. I know the guys at Get Nuts Lab have been running converted z33 axles for quite some time with much praise, so hopefully this is the right way to go for anyone upgrading power.

I am yet to finish the install and most likely won't remember to update this response, but hopefully it works out well and if someone is curious please PM me so I remember to let you know.

Thanks! Just wanted to share, good luck with your experiments/cars guys!

-Scott

Sforteen
01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
I dont understand why anyone would try and abuse a stock axle or even worse a shitty china one over and over. Just upgrade to Q45 style ones, its not that much money and its much much stronger.

TheRealSy90
02-23-2015, 02:33 PM
I have purchased a set of oem used Z33 axles and the new Maverick Motorsport axle-conversion plates to give these a whirl. I know the guys at Get Nuts Lab have been running converted z33 axles for quite some time with much praise, so hopefully this is the right way to go for anyone upgrading power.

I am yet to finish the install and most likely won't remember to update this response, but hopefully it works out well and if someone is curious please PM me so I remember to let you know.

Thanks! Just wanted to share, good luck with your experiments/cars guys!

-Scott

I just tried to install the maverick z33 axle adapters and used/good z33 axles last weekend, and was left with a bad taste in my mouth. I have pbm subframe risers, very low ride height with 0 camber, and the differential is raised up higher in the subframe about 1 inch. The driver side z33 axle was too long as after installing it and driving the car, the inner cv pushed through the inside and came apart leaving me stranded. Also, the passenger axle seems too short because after installing and setting the car down, the stub shaft pulled out of the differential about 1/2". And yes the "long" axle was installed on the passenger side, and short on the driver side.

With Oem axles the driver side has never had a problem, but the passenger side has always been an Autozone unit, and the inner cv cup breaks apart when shifting from first to second gear driving hard. This is with a custom made 20mm axle spacer.

gripROYAL
02-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Hmm, that's crazy dude. Sorry to hear you were stranded. I finished my install and noticed the driver side was a bit tighter, I had to adjust out my rlca to allow more but once I did that no problems. I also am running the PBM risers and oem rear spindles, oem rear diff with kaaz. I'm running about -2* camber in the rear though.

TheRealSy90
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
So you're okay with running a different track width on one side of the car than the other side? That just really doesn't seem like a good thing to do. I've got pbm risers, oem spindles, osgiken 2-way and 0 camber. If i adjusted the driver side rlca out wider, matching the width on the passenger side would make that axle too short :/

Hmm, that's crazy dude. Sorry to hear you were stranded. I finished my install and noticed the driver side was a bit tighter, I had to adjust out my rlca to allow more but once I did that no problems. I also am running the PBM risers and oem rear spindles, oem rear diff with kaaz. I'm running about -2* camber in the rear though.

JSimpson
02-24-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't understand why people overcomplicate the axle thing so much. Any axle, no matter what, even an R35 GTR axle will clunk and break if the boot gets torn. Its exactly like running a wheel bearing with no grease and sheering off the spindle...

If your boot rips, replace that shit immediately and be done. The boots are $15 and its easy as hell to do. There is no "spider" assembly crap like someone above mentioned... its just a tripod, dip the damn thing in grease, new boot, tighten the clamps, done.

THE ONLY correct boots for our cars are the Beck & Arnley (O'reilly can get them), Megan, or OEM boots. NONE of the dorman ones work. Both the inner and outer boot is identical.

An OEM or Autozone reman is essentially equal for all of our needs, end of story. They are simply rebuilt using oem parts with beck&arnley boots. No magic there. IF you don't have wheel hop or drive like an idiot these axles will take a beating and a half. I ran them with 585whp and 390ftlbs for a long time without any issues. This was a drag car with good bushings and didn't have wheel hop.

Z32 TT/Q45 axle is cheap and easy. Way easier than most realize. If anyone needs Left side 300zx TT axles (the hard one to find) let me know as I have a ton of them oem and brand new in the nissan box.