PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a G1?

BustedS13
12-11-2008, 01:53 PM
i'm picking one up on my lunch break, unlocking it, and activating it on my new ATT service. who has one, or better yet, who has one on a provider other than T-Mobile?

Sleepy240
12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
sadly I have one on the regular T-mobile service, i still like the phone ALOT. I actually like it more than my previous iPhone

JohnnyDrfiter22
12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I got one for T-Mobile tho, I love it, great phone!! If Iphone didnt have so many cool Apps this would kick its ass!!

But Iphone has been out longer.

Sleepy240
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
the G1 has its own problems, but simply as a data phone its awesome. With time the apps will surely catch up to the iPhone. However I was using just an jailbroken iPhone on T-Mo, so I'm happy to be using a phone meant for the service =p

BustedS13
12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
well, now the dude with the G1 is trying to hose me, so i'm not getting one today. weak.

TheWolf
12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
it did come out that when you turn "data off" the phone still lets apps call out to the internet. This is important for say when you go abroad and the phone runs up a $800 data bill. t-mobile's solution.. "Turn the phone off when you don't need to use it".. no refunds yet.

qt_240
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I got one.. i still suggest you look into getting one

ZilviaKid
12-11-2008, 11:53 PM
what is a g1? all i know it as is a level 1 license in canada land.

LongGrain
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
google's cell phone.

ZilviaKid
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
google's cell phone.
holy shit? a google phone!
*goes off to search*

JayDee M Rolly
12-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry T-Mobile>AT&T's crap dropping service any day.

Sleepy240
12-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Compared to the iPhone I think the G1 is a better phone. The full qwerty key board is a plus. The camera sucks IMO though, and I hate the little angle at the bottom of the phone its simply the most annoying thing in your pocket. But as far as service and shit goes, G1 > iPhone

SHIFT_*grind*
12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Template for every cell phone bitchfest ever: "Waaaaaaaah, (AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint/Nextel) sucks, I dropped so many calls, now I have (Nextel/Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T) and it's so much better!"

Every service drops calls. Every service will have more coverage than competing services in a certain area and less in another; you might drop more calls in your area than you would if you were living somewhere else.

For every claim that's made about one service being superior to another, you'll find a claim by someone else stating the opposite.

Sleepy240
12-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Template for every cell phone bitchfest ever: "Waaaaaaaah, (AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint/Nextel) sucks, I dropped so many calls, now I have (Nextel/Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T) and it's so much better!"

Every service drops calls. Every service will have more coverage than competing services in a certain area and less in another; you might drop more calls in your area than you would if you were living somewhere else.

For every claim that's made about one service being superior to another, you'll find a claim by someone else stating the opposite.

Claims dont really matter all that much... its so biased, its much easier just to go by consumer reports...

Consumerreports.org

Cell Phone Providers
#1 Verizon
#2 T-Mobile
#3 AT&T

/end discussion

LongGrain
12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
i have US cellular and ive never had a dropped call in my life. ive also NEVER not had service. ive been in the middle of the woods a mile away from canada and still had all my bars. no complaints whatsoever.

Bobafreak
12-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I love the phone! I'm on it right now. One thing I like are all the 3rd party applications custom wall papers and ringtones. Fo free! I have the white model. Another perk I got was when I updated my contract I got a free buy one roundtrip ticket get the other free. So my plan is 1500min for 39.99 with night and weekends, 5 bucks for the mobile to mobile, 5 for my insurance, 35 for unlimited internet, text, picture and video mail, etc etc.

The g3 service is nice no complaints yet. No lags. Internet is amazing. Still haven't used the picture function yet. There's too much stuff on this phone so I'm still learning. Ohh I paid 180.00 plus tax for it. Wait my downside with the phone I say is since my fingers are wide Its hard for me to press the right buttons at times. Also no macromedia flash lol. But I'm sure they'll do something about it.

Yeah this phone is now my grown man phone.

Croan
12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I love the phone! I'm on it right now. One thing I like are all the 3rd party applications custom wall papers and ringtones. Fo free! I have the white model. Another perk I got was when I updated my contract I got a free buy one roundtrip ticket get the other free. So my plan is 1500min for 39.99 with night and weekends, 5 bucks for the mobile to mobile, 5 for my insurance, 35 for unlimited internet, text, picture and video mail, etc etc.

The g3 service is nice no complaints yet. No lags. Internet is amazing. Still haven't used the picture function yet. There's too much stuff on this phone so I'm still learning. Ohh I paid 180.00 plus tax for it. Wait my downside with the phone I say is since my fingers are wide Its hard for me to press the right buttons at times. Also no macromedia flash lol. But I'm sure they'll do something about it.

Yeah this phone is now my grown man phone.

yea, Google is working on the flash thing..

.... arggg I'm so jealous of the new white one. i should've waited

jamben
12-13-2008, 03:51 PM
i phone all the way but the g1 is sick

yokotas13
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
lol
type Reboot on your G1...se what happens lol

Sleepy240
12-13-2008, 05:41 PM
yea, Google is working on the flash thing..

.... arggg I'm so jealous of the new white one. i should've waited

i got bronze and that shit is hotttttt

lol
type Reboot on your G1...se what happens lol

nothing happened on mine

Bobafreak
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
new what i dont like so far the battery gets low to fast. maybe a upgraded one in the future..

yokotas13
12-14-2008, 01:22 AM
i got bronze and that shit is hotttttt

nothing happened on mine
damnit, they fixed it

there was a bug where you woudl type reboot and the shit would reboot..

Bobafreak
12-14-2008, 06:35 AM
lolrz updates my friend updates.

Sleepy240
12-14-2008, 08:10 AM
my biggest let down with the phone (besides the camera) is the instant messaging. Coming from a sidekick 3 and then an iPhone, the G1 is a huge letdown in this department, and sadly I use AIM/MSN alottt. Of course Gtalk works great though rofl. Constant disconnects, no way of really knowing your disconnected until you get into the APP.

ILoveMyRHS13
12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
The G1 is a sharp looking phone. However, in my area, T Mobile's service is garbage. AT&T is much better up here, so I've had AT&T for about 4 years now. I have a Blackjack right now and I am upgrading to the Samsung Eternity.
http://www.wireless.att.com/global/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/samsung_eternity_black_l.gif

Samsung Eternity Cell Phone - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+Eternity&q_sku=sku3130239)

Supposedly has better 3G than the iPhone and is easier to use.

JohnnyDrfiter22
12-14-2008, 08:32 PM
The only problem I have with the G1 and no im not computer savoy but all the message tones are quiet ass shit and only ring once when you get a msg how do i fix it where it keeps ringing or get better ones. Also the vibrator sucks i never feel it in my pocket.

BustedS13
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
so i bought one (at a chinese restaurant, it was a weird scene), but it takes 12 hours to get an unlock code. so i won't be able to play with it until i'm at work tomorrow

eastcoastS14
12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
price scanner is so badass

BustedS13
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
go on? yeah, name all the MUST HAVE apps so i can go ahead and load up once this thing is finally ready

augh can't wait

Sleepy240
12-19-2008, 05:41 AM
depends on what you use the phone for...

Barcode Blaster
Hello AIM!
PureRSS
Power Mangement
Myspace
The Weather Channel

Those are the main ones I use

yokotas13
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
The only problem I have with the G1 and no im not computer savoy but all the message tones are quiet ass shit and only ring once when you get a msg how do i fix it where it keeps ringing or get better ones. Also the vibrator sucks i never feel it in my pocket.
LOL at a non tech savy person buying a G1

the Iphone Trend has been passed to the G1.
G1 is for early adopters that have a fucking clue about technology.....clearly not you

SHIFT_*grind*
12-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah, get with the times, you worthless ass!

Why don't you just shit all over the guy while you're at it?

yokotas13
12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
becuase, its guys that that bitch when something doesnt work and give stuff a bad wrap.

oh no...it doenst VIBRATE enough
buy a razr

SHIFT_*grind*
12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
He said he had one problem with it, not that it's a shitty phone. My iPhone's pissed me off a couple of times because I had set the alarm (I double-checked) and it didn't go off in the morning, but I love the hell out of it.

TheWolf
12-19-2008, 07:24 AM
for $399 you can buy a fully unlocked developer edition of the phone that will let you cook whatever rom you want on it without any flack from anyone. Perfect for a custom workhorse that you don't need 100% reliability from and want to hack and tweak till your hearts content..

Devices for Developers - Android (http://code.google.com/android/dev-devices.html)

BustedS13
12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
plus look at that neato color. oh boy!

man this phone is rad. it could be that i've gone through three phones in a row that ran windows mobile. but this is nice.

Sleepy240
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
plus look at that neato color. oh boy!

man this phone is rad. it could be that i've gone through three phones in a row that ran windows mobile. but this is nice.

WinMo is total trash... so far the android system is pretty good not a whole lot of problems with crashes etc so I cant complain

chibo
12-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I bought one two days ago using my 'free upgrade' for $180. Sold it the same day on ebay for $375. Nice profit.