PDA

View Full Version : Computer Programers???

Driftin_240sx
02-11-2003, 10:29 PM
ok well i am interested in going to school now that i have been out of school for a year..and i just need to go back... i was looking into computer programing cause it kinda runs in the family... now my question is... i saw a wile back that someone had said in their post they were a computer programer, whoever u are.. or if u are reading this and u are one..... if it isnt to personal ... how many years did u go to school and how much are u making.. and do u like the job.. i allready know some c++ and vb so it shouldnt be too hard... i dont think..

david

AutoDestruct
02-12-2003, 06:28 PM
of course it's hard, that's why it's work. Work is hard.
if not then Why isn't everyone a comp. prog. instead of whatever??
:confused:

I'm just f'ing with you. I would go to school for something else, There are tons of people taking those languages and the workplace already seems to be saturated.

Be a plumber, and make some big bucks:D
Me? I make 7 bucks an hour. and I love every second of it.:D ;)

Natty
02-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Don't be an engineer unless you like putting yourself through misery. Trust me.
BTW, I love that charcoal color on your fastback. The first 240 I ever saw was that color.
Jeff

Kreator
02-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Ok, i don't really work yet, but i almost finished my bachelor degree in CS(graduating this winter). Honestly, with the situation at hand programers are really not needed. I will be pretty damn happy if i get $40K full time when i get out (considering my sallary right now is about $15/hour what amounts to $30K annually if i work full time). The computer science field isn't that bad, but you really have to like what you are doing. And have a good.... very good math background. (Business is WAAAAAY easier).

live2drift2live
02-13-2003, 07:40 AM
Well, at my high school we have an IT program, and I just finished my first year of CCNA Cisco 1 with 2nd year coming. I got a 100 on the Cert Exam and I can out of HS make close to 75K. But im going to college and get my Major in business or Bach in Computer Science. Well it will be hard because you always have to keep up to date with new tech. Well good luck.
JBM

ca18guy
02-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by live2drift2live
Well, at my high school we have an IT program, and I just finished my first year of CCNA Cisco 1 with 2nd year coming. I got a 100 on the Cert Exam and I can out of HS make close to 75K. But im going to college and get my Major in business or Bach in Computer Science. Well it will be hard because you always have to keep up to date with new tech. Well good luck.
JBM

I'm not gonna lie, I don't believe you will make 75k a year with a few certs and a HS diploma, but if you were really offered that you should take that job and take night classes.

live2drift2live
02-13-2003, 04:49 PM
You dont believe me?I dont need to take night classes when I go HS and take them as electives >>> http://www.pwcs.edu/forestpark/iTprogram is what I do. Well about the salary that is 75K from Cisco, but you can get up where to 100K (experienced) or more as a network administrator. But 60-65K would be the range. Also with my CCNA, I am in the process of getting my ProTech Cabling and Fiber Certification and my A+ Cert. I live in the VA area which is the Silicon Valley of the east and I have had proposed interships at lockheed, AOL, Comcast, and Verizon, this year. So go for the computer field, if you are good with programming go that way, look into Java, HTML, C++ MySQL, Unix, all that good stuff. But I decided to go the hardware way. Whatever floats your boat.
JBM

Kreator
02-13-2003, 06:26 PM
You dont believe me?I dont need to take night classes when I go HS and take them as electives >>> http://www.pwcs.edu/forestpark/iTprogram is what I do. Well about the salary that is 75K from Cisco, but you can get up where to 100K (experienced) or more as a network administrator. But 60-65K would be the range. Also with my CCNA, I am in the process of getting my ProTech Cabling and Fiber Certification and my A+ Cert. I live in the VA area which is the Silicon Valley of the east and I have had proposed interships at lockheed, AOL, Comcast, and Verizon, this year. So go for the computer field, if you are good with programming go that way, look into Java, HTML, C++ MySQL, Unix, all that good stuff. But I decided to go the hardware way. Whatever floats your boat.
JBM

Keep dreamin dude. Those salaries don't exist since about 2 years ago. And definately not for a high school kid. And all those advertisments you've heard about certifications - most of that is bull to make you sign up. NOBODY is getting 75K sign up salary unless they have a **** load of recomendations and experience. Too many cs majors around who'd be happy to work for much less than that.

live2drift2live
02-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Okay well im just going for what Cisco, you know the big company that the internet runs on, came into my HS, and setup a Academy for Cisco Cert, and those are salaries that Cisco will pay right of college. I dont know where you are getting your info from, but im getting mine right from the source. Also a senior who graduated last year got a job right out of HS for 65K. Well go by what you hear.
JBM

DSC
02-13-2003, 07:02 PM
I worked with a guy who got his ccna out of that program...he made the same amount as little uncertified me. *very low figure, all you need to know*

I know it sucks to hear, but you'll not see more than 45,000 a year out of HS no matter how many certs you have...and that's VERY high.

I'm in school with Electronic Systems Inc right now to get the mcsa and ccna (and other mics. certs). I'm hoping for 30-35k per year right out of school, with several certs and 2+ years experiance working full time at a computer company.

"a senior who graduated last year got a job right out of HS for 65K"
Where did he have to move? DC? CA?
I know cisco is good at hookin up jobs but thats crazy.

Titan
02-13-2003, 08:37 PM
I suppose it depends where you go. I applied to Waterloo University for CS coop in Ontario, Canada. It is apparantly the best CS program in the country, and in the top couple throughout North America.

It is also in the top 3 for recruitment for Microsoft, Cisco, etc. etc. I suppose that is why the cut-off admission average is 90% in your top 6 senior courses.. which frightens me because I have low 90's.

I have older friends who have graduated from the same coop program and are making upwards of 65k USD to begin with. Once again, that is mainly due to the repuation of Waterloo and the fact they took coop.

I'm not saying this to sound elitist, but to state that you are going to have tremendously more luck getting a well paying job from a respectable university, then a rather unknown college.

The sad fact is that between a dunce from a respected university vs. an utterly brilliant unknown college student, the dunce is going to get the higher paying job, hands down.

HaLo
02-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Natty
Don't be an engineer unless you like putting yourself through misery. Trust me.
BTW, I love that charcoal color on your fastback. The first 240 I ever saw was that color.
Jeff

now you tell me? Couldn't you tell me before my last semester?

I can't believe I'm going on the unemployment market. :(

Tiff
02-15-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm a freshman in computer engineering. Let me say first off, it's not easy by any means. I always here my classmates complaining about how hard it is and how they want to change majors. The way I look at it, the whole reason to go to college is to learn the hard stuff. Its hard? Work harder. Your not gonna get a high paying job right out of school? Learn more and make yourself desireable to potential employers. In my opinion, your success in the field depends solely on your desire to succeed. (ok that really sounded like something my high school guidence counselor would say). Seriously though, do whatever you want, but whatever it is don't get flustered by horror stories other people tell and don't get mad because it's hard once you get there. Just work hard, and it'll all pay off in the end.

HaLo
02-15-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm graduating in computer Engineering this semester and let me tell you something: there's nothing left on the market... no jobs... I feel like such a a**! :(

SimpleS14
02-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Also a senior who graduated last year got a job right out of HS for 65K. Well go by what you hear.

That's hard to believe....he can get a good paying job but not in those figures just coming out of high school. He would need experience...actually hands on experience from previous jobs and/or employers.

BTW......does anybody else know what's the "thing" to go for? So far the only thing out there that I know of is Bio-Technology.