PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Computer Experts! need some advice

rancid240
02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I bought my laptop while on vacation in Japan which means it came with a totally Japanese OS (windows XP) I was wondering if i formatted and reinstalled XP if it would function in english, since the hardware is already set for Japanese, as is my understanding. Well if any of you have had experience with this or any ideas please submit. thanks

elevator
02-11-2003, 07:46 PM
What brand is it?

Is it 100 volt?

Sounds scary to me but most Japanese use windows like we do it is just a Japanese version. You can switch that with no problem, but I'd be more concerned about the voltage. Big names would have info on their websites somewhere, I would think.

rancid240
02-11-2003, 07:57 PM
yah the ac adapter is compatible from 100v to 240v so basically world compatible.

elevator
02-11-2003, 08:11 PM
I think you can just change the language on it. I don't think you have to totally reload the OS. Check with Microsoft.

moose
02-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, I believe you can change the language in control panel. It is possible that you might have to contact Microsoft and ask them what to do. You could reload XP and then you would have to English version. Yeah so, check out the language dealie and talk to Microsoft.

s13driver
02-11-2003, 08:42 PM
i think as long as it doesn't come with a recovery cd and come with drivers for most of the stuff format it and reinstall xp shouldn't be a problem. the only thing i hate about getting computers that come with a stupid recover cd instead of driver cd and so on is that i can't find the driver elsewhere and i can't get it to work without those driver.

kalieaire
02-12-2003, 11:01 PM
i think finding drivers will be the main concern.

personally i don't use windows xp, and a lot of the drivers included in winxp aren't in win 2k.

most of the time you can substitute 2k drivers w/ xp drivers, but to find drivers for laptops, you have to find them on a website of from the company. also, if the company is in japan, most of the time you'll have to leaf through japanese websites to find japanese drivers.

it's a big pita.