PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Rebuild

kandyflip445
02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I rebuilt my first transmission today!!!:D It was off of a 95' Ford
F-150. Also, pulled a tranny from a 2000 Ford Mustang!:D I love working on cars...:rolleyes:

christopher
02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Congrats.

Natty
02-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Did you do it with a walk through manual or did you just go at it :)
I may rebuilt me old one, just for the hell of it.
Jeff

kandyflip445
02-10-2003, 09:59 PM
I had to print off a disassembly guide and assembly guide...but i didn't use either of them.:D It was all pretty straight forward. As long as you understand manual transmissions then it's pretty easy. Just make sure to lay out the gear/syncros in rows of what shaft they go on and in the order they go in. Also make sure you don't loose any of the inserts in the syncros. The only tricky part that I needed help for was getting the bearings on the input, output, and countershafts. I needed someone to help me hold them in the right spots so I could get the bearings in. If you want I could get a printout of the 240 and send it to you in the mail if you want. It has a little blow-up of the tranny and where stuff goes(think lego schematics:D ). It details the steps to take and the tools needed in each step. Like what kind of socket and stuff like that. I read through it after I put it together and I could have saved a little time if I had read it but oh well. It only took me 2 hours. But I didn't have to remove or install from a vehicle. Taking one off isn't that hard but that was with a good lift and a tranny jack. Finding tools in this damn school is a PITA though. But, oh well. It was fun though. I still have the rest of the semester to go though so there should be plenty more for me to learn about driveshafts and the like. The class is "Manual Transmissions & Drivetrains."