PDA

View Full Version : For You Guys Living In Japan

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Well I am going to start looking into what type of courses are available to take where I live for Study Abroad. Which means I will be studying them in Japan. And then when I am done that I am going to get a working Visa to go to Japan.
I just have some questions to the people on here that have already took the step and moved there..
What do you do for a career in Japan?
What kind of place do you have and what was the cost/rent?
What part of Japan do you live in?
What did you take in school to apply over there if any?

Dousan_PG
11-29-2008, 03:42 PM
most are in the military
go see your local recruiter haha

good luck
grass is always greener

finish college!

unlegendary
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
go see your school counselor and try to scrounge up all the financial aid you can get because japan isn't cheap.

most people i know that have went to school and worked in japan are military or know someone in the military.

Matej
11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Why does everyone want to move to Japan so bad, have you at least visited before? I hope you're not only doing it because of cars and girls.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
No If you read I said I am going to be doing a Study Abroad Program which means I do my Post Secondary Schooling in Japan. And that will show me if I really want to live there or not.
Come on guys in Japan tune in.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah I was just searching real estate and it doesnt seem as cheap as I thought.
The only place I could find rent under $2000 is in Nagoya and surrounding areas. And thats for a real basic place.
Rent ain't cheap haha..

Dousan_PG
11-29-2008, 04:02 PM
anything in a city is expensive
live in the country
but then there is nothing to do
japan is like any other country but youll be a foreigner
which makes getting a good job even harder

like i said
good luck
ive been there 3 times

Slammed180
11-29-2008, 04:03 PM
You can rent my basement, and I'll fill it with ALL the Japanese decor you can handle.

superbike81
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
You could always try Okinawa, you can rent a place for $500 a month, it's basically a closet, but people live there.

I'm here in the Air Force, but I'm now a "lifer" in Japan. My wife is from mainland Japan (Kanagawa area) and we're planning on buying a house somewhere near Yokota Air Base in about 5 years.

We live in a brand new duplex, 3 stories, full size garage, 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, and it's 1,600,000 (with yen rate @ 92, that's about $1800 a month), but you can get cheaper here in Okinawa. I'm not sure what kind of exchange programs they do at the local schools though. If you can find something, Okinawa is a very American friendly place to live. There's so much military here, that many places here cater to Americans. This makes things convenient, but at the same time, you aren't experiencing "real Japan", because it's pretty Americanized here.

If you go to one of the smaller areas of mainland, maybe a 1-2hr train ride from Tokyo, rent gets a lot cheaper as well.

If you want to live in Japan as an American, military really is the best way to go, it's not that difficult to get here in the Air Force either. Join up, volunteer for Korea, stay there for a year, and get your choice of where you wanna go next (Yokota AB is closest to Tokyo).

Good luck!

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
You can rent my basement, and I'll fill it with ALL the Japanese decor you can handle.

Hahaha what an offer! But the whole point is to get out of Canada and definetly not move to Calgary haha.

Slammed180
11-29-2008, 04:17 PM
You could always try Okinawa, you can rent a place for $500 a month, it's basically a closet, but people live there.

I'm here in the Air Force, but I'm now a "lifer" in Japan. My wife is from mainland Japan (Kanagawa area) and we're planning on buying a house somewhere near Yokota Air Base in about 5 years.

We live in a brand new duplex, 3 stories, full size garage, 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, and it's 1,600,000 (with yen rate @ 92, that's about $1800 a month), but you can get cheaper here in Okinawa. I'm not sure what kind of exchange programs they do at the local schools though. If you can find something, Okinawa is a very American friendly place to live. There's so much military here, that many places here cater to Americans. This makes things convenient, but at the same time, you aren't experiencing "real Japan", because it's pretty Americanized here.

If you go to one of the smaller areas of mainland, maybe a 1-2hr train ride from Tokyo, rent gets a lot cheaper as well.

If you want to live in Japan as an American, military really is the best way to go, it's not that difficult to get here in the Air Force either. Join up, volunteer for Korea, stay there for a year, and get your choice of where you wanna go next (Yokota AB is closest to Tokyo).

Good luck!
That would work if he was American...

And what do you have against Calgary??
And why Japan? why not another Country that doesn't have such a language barrier? like Australia? still a cool car scene there. I'm definitely going back to Oz the second I can afford it.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Good luck!

Did you mean to say 160,000 yen? Because isnt 1,600,000 like 20,000 dollars(Canadian).

But I dont really think I am looking for anything to do with Military. Just looking to live a life there for however long and have a regular job there and learn Japanese ways.
Thanks for all the info though!

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 04:22 PM

And why Japan? why not another Country that doesn't have such a language barrier? like Australia? still a cool car scene there. I'm definitely going back to Oz the second I can afford it.

Haha I have nothing against Calgary. Its nicer then Edmonton.
Well for one the car scene that's for sure and yeah sure Australia might have a good scence too but I would just pick japan before Australia.
The Japanese seem soo nice and I wanna learn the language and experience the culture.
And I could get you guys shit for cheap which would be a good side job.

superbike81
11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Oops, 160,000, sorry, was in car shopping mode.

Your best bet is to check with your school adviser, they probably have info. As far as working a regular job while you are here, good luck. Japanese companies aren't too big on hiring foreigners when they could hire one of their own.

You could also get your degree (IT preferred) and then go to sites like USAJobs.com and start applying for US government positions in Japan.

superbike81
11-29-2008, 04:25 PM

You can join the US military without being a citizen, I know plenty of people who got their citizenship that way. Just FYI, I know he doesn't want to join the military now. :naughtyd:

Slammed180
11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
My tattoo artist works in Japan 3 months then here 3 months etc...
He said learning the language was hard for him, but definitely a very cool culture to experience. If you're able to do it, then props. Don't think I could drop my life here and start all over in a totally new Country.

bunnathp
11-29-2008, 04:29 PM
my friend double majored and one was in japanese. so he went over there to teach english to japanese people and made money off of that, enough to get by. and is became fluent in japanese after that.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah I heard IT would be the easiest way to go. That would be a possibility. Im not total brain in that area but not stupid at least.
I am going to go check what kind of programs are offered here and I will have to decide from there.

pink godzila
11-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Why you wanna go to Japan so badly? i mean why everyone... because..??

1. Cars?
2. JP girls?
3. Food?
4. Enviornment?

Leo-kun
11-29-2008, 05:41 PM
^ why do people want to move to America?
Just sayin, everyone has their reasons, but that doesn't mean it's any of your buisness.

Anyways, if you want to move to Japan, it's not impossible to do so, you just half to be prepared(money and education). But I bet you want to be immersed in the tunning scene there, right? Well, cars aint cheap, especially since you have to pay road tax, license fee's, JCI, gas, and anything else I forgot to metion. Plus, it's almost impossible to find FREE parking in Japan, in the citys that is. The government job would be a good idea because they pay well.....but remeber, if do move, there, LEARN JAPANESE!!!

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Well I know I could move there but I just need to figure out what the best degree would be to get for there. And from searching around it looks like IT and that there is a lot of government jobs for that.
Well the car scene would be one reason yeah. I never said it would be cheap at all and I am willing to deal with that.
I would need to know that the degree I will be getting can get me a good paying career there though.
Hopefully talking to a Post Secondary Institution will help and have some options.
And yes I will learn Japan forsure!
I wouldn't live right in the city anyways and I've already seen a couple places with included parking.

D14
11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
^ why do people want to move to America?

1. It's really inexpensive to live in America; Rent is cheap, food is cheap, gas is cheap, utilities are cheap, low taxes, etc.

2. There's lots of space so you're not crowded everywhere you go.

3. It's easy to get a job here (even with the rising unemployment rate).

4. Security, we have one of the largest most advanced armed forces on the planet and we're allies/trade partners with the 2 countries we share borders with.

5. Anyone can get an education, although admittedly it's overpriced for the level of education you receive

6. The United States Constitution -- self explanatory.

So um, yeah, why do you want to live in Japan again? :squint:

Dousan_PG
11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
the grass is always greener.
its as simple as that.

origin_s135
11-29-2008, 06:29 PM
i just noticed this is in the wrong section.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
How this is the chat section. Seems good enough to me. I don't see why it would be a problem in here???

Looks like your in Japan. Nothing helpful to say but that this is in the wrong section??

Koopa Troopa
11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
If you can't speak Japanese then give up on trying to live anywhere minus the major cities. As far as Okinawa goes, fuck that. No sense in coming to this gap in space and time for the "Japan experience". If you want to just kick back, forget all your life aspirations and drink your life away then Okinawa living is for you.

D14, I want to live in Japan because I don't have to worry about getting shot for $35 and a Scratch'n'Win and I can leave the keys in the ignition of my Civic with the windows down and the doors unlocked, go shopping and come back and my car has been untouched.

niSm095
11-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Or you could be huge and intimidating like me...and go to work for an executive bodyguard service...request to be sent to Japan...get paid large to 'protect' a businessman that thinks people are out to get him. My uncle does it...apparently it's awesome.

dmax_silvia_s13
11-29-2008, 06:54 PM
D14, I want to live in Japan because I don't have to worry about getting shot for $35 and a Scratch'n'Win and I can leave the keys in the ignition of my Civic with the windows down and the doors unlocked, go shopping and come back and my car has been untouched.

Cool....?
Anyways aside from that retarted comment. No I dont want to go drink my life away I want to start a good life there. I am going to get my education here first and then head there and try and find a good job..

Koopa Troopa
11-29-2008, 07:04 PM
You clearly didn’t understand anything from my pos t about Okinawa。It’s cool though. I wouldn’t expec t you to.

silly_13
11-29-2008, 07:05 PM
most are in the military
go see your local recruiter haha
lmao i like that! haha...
y not go to philippines?? its cheaper there and candians and americans are welcome over there heck just because ur from a different country they'll think ur a good with money! hahah oh and the colleges over there are good too just like in the U.S. well almost but i wouldnt mind to visit in japan too...just my 2c....

superbike81
11-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Okinawa is not Japan, but I'd say it's a good "entry-level" way into Japan. Very American friendly, lots of people speak English, good weather, nice beaches, etc, etc. But yeah, you can easily get very lazy here. My wife and I want nothing more than to get out of here and go to Tokyo, but we've got 18 months left here and then I'm probably gonna have to do a year in Korea, but....anyways, off topic.

You have quite a few options, but if you want to live here, make good money (English teachers DO NOT make anywhere near GOOD money), and have some job security, go for the US government IT jobs. Something in Network Security I'd say would be the best way to go. But be sure to get experience while you are in school, for example:

-Volunteer to be a network/sys admin at a local church or other such place
-Get an entry level job doing something (ANYTHING) involving IT

Having the degree and a few years experience will land you a job with the government. A degree, but no experience, will greatly reduce your chances. Many of these jobs will even pay to re-locate you over here.

As far as this US vs Japan argument, it's stupid and not worth arguing. For some people (myself included), we get here to Japan and realize this really is "home." Other people get here and want nothing but to go back to the US as soon as possible. For me, the grass really is greener in Japan, I have no desire to go back to the US except occasionally to visit family.

mrmephistopheles
11-29-2008, 11:03 PM
How this is the chat section. Seems good enough to me. I don't see why it would be a problem in here???

Looks like your in Japan. Nothing helpful to say but that this is in the wrong section??

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/227003-pcd.html#post2477664

2 week vacation for the OP. Nothing personal - I obviously need to make examples out of people to ensure they post things in the appropriate section.

This Chat section is specific to topics involving the 240SX/300ZX or their affiliated chassis (S15/Z33). If you want to talk about moving to Japan, translations, Transformers, coinpurse shaving, or anything else, you do it in Off Topic Chat.

I realize that I could have just moved the thread to OT, or perhaps deleted it, but it wouldn't fix the problem of the Chat section being crapped up by off-topic threads.