PDA

View Full Version : s13 75a alt. fuseblows, dead short

05civse
11-27-2008, 04:23 PM
So basically I was driving my s13 w/ sr and my charging light came on. Everything worked fine (tach, lights, radio, ect). I assumed it was just the alt. so I took 30 mins and replaced it. I go to start the car and it starts, but nothing works. I go look at the alt. fuse and its blown. Next I check with a test light across the terminals of the fuse box and it lights up (short, my DMM says a couple ohms to ground on the fused side). I unplug all the connections to the alt. but thelight remains on and still little to no resistance to ground. Then I unplug all the fuses in the under hood fuse box but it stays on. Has anyone ran into this before I go and spend some time to diag. it? The nissan ETM sucks and isn't very fun to read so I would rather not. The chassis is a 91 s13 on coils w/ built SR. The harnesses in the wheel wells are tucked and look ok. Any help to get it back on the road is appreciated.

Thanks

mothon
12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
It probably your power wire to the alt is grounding out....there should be a little plastic piece around the + post on the alt to keep the wire from touching the alt case.