PDA

View Full Version : Bov..

stealthsr20
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Doing S14 into S14 swap and wanting some opinions. show me what you got.. just wanting to see what people are running

fliprayzin240sx
11-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Seriously? BOVs??? Run stock!!! I mean shit, are you gonna recirculate it or not? You know SRs dont like open BOVs right? Atmospheric venting BOVs make SRs run like shit...unless you get certain ones that eases the ECU into it.

singlecamslam
11-26-2008, 11:16 PM
just dont run one, compressor surge sounds way better. But seriously get an HKS and recirculate it, or just run stock.

stealthsr20
11-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I wish I had a stock bov.

4x4le
11-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Are you people for real? Everyone I know runs open bovs with no trouble. I guess we all have REAL tunes on our cars but I havent even heard that many people having trouble with stock setups.

Honestly in my opinion the smartest thing to do is setup your tps correctly. The ecu will know that your throttle is closed and not need to dump fuel for no reason.

singlecamslam
11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
A real tune would let you run open BOV but not everyone has one. Some Cheap BOV leak at idle and makes your car run like crap its common knowledge.

4x4le
11-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Why would you want a cheap bov though? I mean that just because cheap ones leak dont mean you should recirculate all of them you know?

FaLKoN240
11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Buy my ARC one and recirculate it, I'll hook you up.

$120 shipped.

PM me if you really want it.

hOngsterr
11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
anyone know where to buy
a stock SR20 BOV?
lol

LongGrain
11-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Seriously? BOVs??? Run stock!!! I mean shit, are you gonna recirculate it or not? You know SRs dont like open BOVs right? Atmospheric venting BOVs make SRs run like shit...unless you get certain ones that eases the ECU into it.

my blow off valve was venting to atmosphere and my car ran like a champ all the time, no bogging or stalling or anything.

ive never even seen anyone recirc a blow off valve on an SR.

g6civcx
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Ask 10 different people about BOVs and you'll get 12 different opinions.

Vent to atmosphere or recirculate. Some work well with VTA while others have problems. It depends on your setup.

Spend money or buy a cheap BOV. Your choice.

4x4le
11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
honestly if I were going to go through the trouble with recirculating the bov and have to get a hose and weld a flange on the turbo inlet I would rather just do a blow through maf setup. All you have to do there is extend the wires and cut the cold pipe and install the maf with couplers.

!Zar!
11-27-2008, 10:13 PM
You only have five choices.

Stock bypass valve.

No bypass valve and run compressor surge.

HKS adjustable type ssqv with or without the insert depending on if you like the sound or not.

sard r2d2.

Tial.

Everything else is crap for the most part.

Flicktitty
11-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Tial or HKS

/Thread

4x4le
11-27-2008, 10:19 PM
How can yall not even care to mention the turbo xs rfl? It seals perfect at idle, blows off fast and effeciently. Its adjustible but I think its pretty tight even without the adjusting washers, meaning no leak. And I have never heard a better sounding blow off valve. I have people asking me all the time what Im running becasue they love the sound. It may be a little loud for some peoples tastes though. rfl actually stands for really fucking loud. Funny aussies!
One of the track officials in memphis took me off to the side one time because he said something on my car was tearing up and it was just the noise of the bov. He was an old guy but its still funny.

!Zar!
11-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I only named the best of the best.

No honorable mentions.

Flicktitty
11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
How can yall not even care to mention the turbo xs rfl? It seals perfect at idle, blows off fast and effeciently. Its adjustible but I think its pretty tight even without the adjusting washers, meaning no leak. And I have never heard a better sounding blow off valve. I have people asking me all the time what Im running becasue they love the sound. It may be a little loud for some peoples tastes though. rfl actually stands for really fucking loud. Funny aussies!
One of the track officials in memphis took me off to the side one time because he said something on my car was tearing up and it was just the noise of the bov. He was an old guy but its still funny.
my buddy had a RFL on his Srt-4 and had alot of problems with it.

4x4le
11-27-2008, 10:34 PM
the srt 4 requires lots of modification in order for a different bov to be hooked up (properly without the ecu having a fit) due to the vacume/boost distribution block. That thing is a mess in my opinion.

They make a really good bov for the sr. Has anyone else had any experience with this bov on a sr?
I have a friend running on on a ls1 turbo setup with a huge turbo and no surge so it can keep up with really high hp setups but blows off easy at low boost/flow so is also a good bov for low power setups.
I couldnt consider the hks ssq a best of the best bov if the new one is anything like the old one. I havent seen many of the new ones in person but I have seen several people with the old version having to run 2 of them in order to not get surge on higher hp setups.

hOngsterr
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
how bout the synapse or blitz DD

I only named the best of the best.

No honorable mentions.

!Zar!
11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
how bout the synapse or blitz DD

Synapse is marketing. I still rather run one of the ones I talked about above.

Blitz DD works the same as a Sard r2d2. So Yeah.

stealthsr20
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
i just want the girl to run like a dog i just kicked in the ass. dont have the stock bov so thats not an option... how is tial. a guy i know has one barely used for cheap. i want to do this right the first time and not worry if my bov is junk.

allntrlundrgrnd
12-01-2008, 12:31 AM
hks ssqv serves me well. no recirc, runs fine -occasional backfire but i dont mind

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2951510553_d760a33fa8.jpg?v=0

Sileighty_85
12-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Greddy Type R Ive never had a problem with idle or off throttle to neutral change.
Rockin a Stock ECU for it too.

SoSideways
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Greddy Type R Ive never had a problem with idle or off throttle to neutral change.
Rockin a Stock ECU for it too.

+1

Same here.

GReddy Type R for 5 years and counting.

Never going to sell this thing. I LOVE IT.

hOngsterr
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Synapse is marketing. I still rather run one of the ones I talked about above.

Blitz DD works the same as a Sard r2d2. So Yeah.

thanks. i heard the stock bov for the sr20 sounds nice and works well also.

SoSideways
12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
thanks. i heard the stock bov for the sr20 sounds nice and works well also.

Good thing the stock valve is a recirculation valve, not a BOV.

AKA it stays open during idle and light throttle situations.

lok
12-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Are you running a side mount ic?

If not dont worry about finding a stock recirc valve.

2Slow40
12-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Venting BOVs make SRs run like shit?
I have never seen a SR run like shit with a open BOV, even with no tune. What do you think we drive? Subarus?

What SR 'eases the ecu into it?' What does that even mean?

4x4le
12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Venting BOVs make SRs run like shit?
I have never seen a SR run like shit with a open BOV, even with no tune. What do you think we drive? Subarus?

What SR 'eases the ecu into it?' What does that even mean?

What it means is there is allot of misinformation all over zilvia. I hate to say that.
Now Ill give zilvia some credit because what let me to want to join is because several of the times I have done google searches to find something it has brought me here to get the info I need. I also read allot of misinformation that just keeps getting passed around. Kinda like the sr runs like shit with an open bov, I have never seen one recirculated on a sr and actually never seen one run bad unless it just spun a bering or needed a tune, just seen a few not run good but but they were excused.
Anyways on here I also have learned that 8.8:1 compression is the most you EVER want to go with on a turbo motor, wtf. Also that eagle rods are complete shit. Heck, I even had someone try to call me out and say all kinds of features a stand alone has over nistune and Im a nistune dealer. Everything he listed that a standalone could do that nistune coulndt, nistune in fact could. But then again he is a forum sponsor with 4 trillion, godlike to some noobs I presume.

Anyways, I like this forum, weather this post makes it seem like it or not. My point is that if some people are going to ask a bland question, be prepaired to be able to read between the lines or be able to disipher through the B.S.
Just because 10 people come in a thread all saying the same thing dont mean its the truth. All that means is they all heard the same thing and it spread just like it did in this thread. Many people will hear that sr's run bad with an open air bov and they will do their swap with a recurlation routed on their bov and then tell everyone the same thing they said in here. Im not doubting that some sr's run bad with a recirculated bov, but to me recirculating a bov is actually putting a bandaid on some other problem. Its quite possible that the tps is adjusted wrong if the car runs bad with a oabov. The stock ecu can tell when the throttle is closed if the tps is setup properly there for it dont matter how much metered air is leaked during closed throttle, its not supposed to be adding fuel for that air anyways.

shytdoode
12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
How's the greddy rs? Same thing as thr greddy r??

stealthsr20
12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
i've got a stock sr14 bov fo sale. make me an offer! plus pipe

shytdoode
12-09-2008, 01:24 AM

SoSideways
12-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Uh, no.

Type-R = 47mm valve, 50mm diameter discharge port, has a HUGE diaphragm up top, and has the extra hole already drilled/tapped for a 1/8 BSPT fitting to achieve quicker response on opening the valve during lift off if you so choose to.

Type-RS = 40mm valve, has a horn on it that's supposed to give it a distinct sound (it doesn't work, I've driven around with the horn off and it sounds exactly the same) and has a much smaller diaphragm. Also does not have the provision for the lower fitting to be fitted to the valve to quicken its response.

The Type-R is WIN.

Type-RS is barely pass.