PDA

View Full Version : Able to part-out after ins settlement

ripnbst
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
So heres the deal. I wrecked my car and got ins money for it. They havent asked me where the car is or showed interest in picking it up. I did send them my title and keys and all that crap so my question is do you think I can part it out? I mean technically I dont think I own the car anymore but then again they havent shown any interest in getting it? Say I do part it out they call me in two months wanting to pick it up and its half gone what do you think would happen if they were to take me to court?

CrimsonRockett
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Did you buy the car back?

That's the only way I think you can part it out legally.

Technically speaking, the car IS theirs.

So, if you were to strip it, you're stripping a car that belongs to them.

Don't be stupid and think you can part it out just because they haven't called you on it.

I once had a $400 charge to my debit card. It showed up the first day, then suddenly disappeared the second day.

I thought, "wow, I got $400 more to spend".

I thought about it some more, and just let the money sit in my account.

A month later, the transaction goes through.

Call them up and ask.

brndck
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
um maybe either contact them and ASK or just wait longer. how long has it been since you sent them keys? when my friend wrecked his s14 it was 9 weeks before they came to pick it up and we already had it stripped down to a shell. they were not amused.

chibo
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Buy the car back from them - I bought my 96 240 back from ins for $800 with pure cosmetic quarter panel damage.

ripnbst
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Buy the car back from them - I bought my 96 240 back from ins for $800 with pure cosmetic quarter panel damage.

My car is more than minorly damaged so I wouldn't buy it back and fix it but there is tons of shit on it I could part. Like spring/strut setup, J30 VLSD, any stock parts people want, etc etc

JRas
11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
you can probably buy it back though, and make money parting it out

see how much you can buy it for