PDA

View Full Version : Sooo...... school me on Sugar Gliders

DOOK
11-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Thinking about picking one up... I need to know as much as possible about them... I've done research and know a good bit, but I'm looking for real world experiences...

http://www.sugar-glider.fr/avatar_sugar-glider.jpg

http://www.knrarabians.com/Sugar%20Glider.jpg

BoostedCoupe
11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
I always heard yo have to buy two because they will die if they are not around someone alot.

DOOK
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I always heard yo have to buy two because they will die if they are not around someone alot.

they need a lot of socialization, whether it be from another glider, people, or both...

allntrlundrgrnd
11-23-2008, 08:02 PM
hope you like peepee

i used to want one

YouTube - Sugar Gliders as Pets : The Drawbacks of Sugar Glider Ownership (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlwzf_bqVI)

LongGrain
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
they look pretty cool but i dont dig pets that need to live in cages.

thats why my iguana is free roaming, it made him grow pretty big too.

jeeper_x
11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
^^pix of your iguana now!

DOOK
11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
hope you like peepee

i used to want one

YouTube - Sugar Gliders as Pets : The Drawbacks of Sugar Glider Ownership (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlwzf_bqVI)

yeah, watched that earlier... just like ferrets when it comes to that part, only more social.

DOOK
11-23-2008, 08:06 PM
they look pretty cool but i dont dig pets that need to live in cages.

thats why my iguana is free roaming, it made him grow pretty big too.

they actually spend most of their time outside of the cage. they get depressed if caged all the time.

LongGrain
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
they actually spend most of their time outside of the cage. they get depressed if caged all the time.

you can just let them run around the house like a dog or cat? thats pretty sweet, i figured they were more like a ferret or guinea pig where they just stayed in a cage all the time until someone wanted to play with them.

DOOK
11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
you can just let them run around the house like a dog or cat? thats pretty sweet, i figured they were more like a ferret or guinea pig where they just stayed in a cage all the time until someone wanted to play with them.

they don't exactly run around the house... they are very scent socialized. They will attach to human beings and basically fall in love with them. They want to be with you as much as possible. They will crawl into your pocket and fall asleep. Some women actually let them curl up and sleep in their cleavage... gotta love an animal that is a tits fan.

SexPanda
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
why not a puppy? They have many of the features I enjoy in pets.

Cute
cuddly
can be house broken
dont need to be in a cage
kick ass
excited when you get home
clean up if you spill something on the floor

I need to find a girl like that now.

DOOK
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
why not a puppy? They have many of the features I enjoy in pets.

Cute
cuddly
can be house broken
dont need to be in a cage
kick ass
excited when you get home
clean up if you spill something on the floor

I need to find a girl like that now.

two main reasons... I have a Bavarian blood German Shepherd and a Jack Russell...

don't need or want another dog, not to mention they probably wouldn't take kindly to another one. Hell, they hate each other.

repda916
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
my igiana was a BA. then i got a lazy ass bearded Dragon.
now im lookin to adopt a Skunk or a Ferret. I really wish i can find a skunk and walk around with that. can you imagine peoples faces when your holding one haha

DOOK
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
yeah, I looked into a Bengal Tiger, but the law says you gotta have a source of constant running water... i thought about putting in one of those little Koy pond deals that cold act as that, but then I found out they eat like 30-40 pounds of meat a day... We own enough land that as a land owner I could take enough deer to make it work, but that's a lot of work.

g-via
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
^is that legal to just take deer off the land you own? don't you need some sort of permit or something

BustedS13
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
they're a lot of work, my college roommate had some. you have to play with them constantly, which sounds fun but it gets tedious.

SexPanda
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
lol. All I can think of right now is Scarface...

"Chu are like eh tigar"

David Steele
11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
[quote=DOOK;2467784 Some women actually let them curl up and sleep in their cleavage... gotta love an animal that is a tits fan.[/quote]

Samurai Champloo.

neverrain
11-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the average Bengal kitten go for? Wouldn't you have to get rid of it once it gets big? Like there is always a chance that it could turn on you which = death/dismemberment. Can't a full grown tiger lick the skin right off your arm (could be bullshit, heard that somewhere)?

LB.Motoring
11-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the average Bengal kitten go for? Wouldn't you have to get rid of it once it gets big? Like there is always a chance that it could turn on you which = death/dismemberment. Can't a full grown tiger lick the skin right off your arm (could be bullshit, heard that somewhere)?

yeah, if you have a grand to waste on a kitty.

Dutchmalmiss
11-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Get a chinchilla. They're in around the same "exotic" level, if that's what you care about. INSANELY soft fur too! They have ~15 year lifespans too.

Here's my 5 year old, Chad.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_dec849da4463442aaa4cbc079792f2b2.jpg

!Zar!
11-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Just don't give it a heart attack...

If you do, they are dual purpose.

http://theodorafur.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/057.85173755_std.JPG

az_240
11-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I'd just be afraid of the thing stinking the place up

DataXUnknown
11-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I wish gold fish or beta fish could be cute and cuddely. They are chillin in the water all cool, easy to take care of, but man thats it. Sugar gliders look pretty cool but man after watching that video, helllllll no

11-24-2008, 02:29 AM
damn they're illegal in California
gayyyyyy

apex
11-24-2008, 02:39 AM
heres a funny vid of a sugar glider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjWKNqskdVA

SochBAT
11-24-2008, 03:29 AM
heres a funny vid of a sugar glider
YouTube - FD3S Ball Slapping Sugar Gliders on rx7s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjWKNqskdVA)

Maybe its just me, but i FUCKING HATE those retarded videos of repeated phrases.

They're the more inane and mindsappingly stupid videos ever.

I feel as if I've lost 50 IQ points when watching one.

shmiddy
11-24-2008, 06:40 AM
holy crap i didnt even know you can buy one of them

mtyost
11-24-2008, 06:48 AM
I totally opened this thread thinking it was about some type of candy.

DOOK
11-24-2008, 07:02 AM
yeah, if you have a grand to waste on a kitty.

not too bad when you think about it....

it's a tiger.... of course you run a risk when owning one, but when I lived In San Bernardino I volunteered at an exotic animal rescue in Phelan and we housed several tigers and lions and I feel in love with them.

^is that legal to just take deer off the land you own? don't you need some sort of permit or something

we do have the permits... we grow corn and the deer eat it, so we are allowed to take a lot of deer per year outside of the regular seasons.

stiizy
11-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Get a chinchilla. They're in around the same "exotic" level, if that's what you care about. INSANELY soft fur too! They have ~15 year lifespans too.

Here's my 5 year old, Chad.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_dec849da4463442aaa4cbc079792f2b2.jpg

Dutch pm me how it is to own one me and the wife been thinking about it..

Me too like some old school cookie or something....

Dook how much do these things go for now i'm interested...

irax
11-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Maybe its just me, but i FUCKING HATE those retarded videos of repeated phrases.

They're the more inane and mindsappingly stupid videos ever.

I feel as if I've lost 50 IQ points when watching one.

that just made me feel like i watched tim and eric 30 hours straight... god i hate it when people try really hard to make a viral video.

LeftNutOfGowd
11-24-2008, 07:53 AM
I wanna get a chameleon they have one at a local shop here in the O.C. but they want $1200 for it

DOOK
11-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Dook how much do these things go for now i'm interested...

depends... upwards of 200

stiizy
11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
^^ Looks like a cool gift for the Wife i might consider this or the chinchilla

98s14inaz
11-24-2008, 07:58 AM
two main reasons... I have a Bavarian blood German Shepherd and a Jack Russell...

don't need or want another dog, not to mention they probably wouldn't take kindly to another one. Hell, they hate each other.

Stop right there. Your jack russell is a rodent dog, which means he will fixate on the sugar gliders (hell any small critter) and kill it. It doesn't matter how you raise the dog, instinct is instinct. I've seen it happen, really sad.

stiizy
11-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Fuck that Dook i just watched those videos, na that shit aint for me ChinChilla it is...

Glyder was making mad noise during the night...

I'd fling something at it, i can't own one sleep is too important to me.,..

DOOK
11-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Stop right there. Your jack russell is a rodent dog, which means he will fixate on the sugar gliders (hell any small critter) and kill it. It doesn't matter how you raise the dog, instinct is instinct. I've seen it happen, really sad.

she's old... the only thing she fixates on is sleep

LeftNutOfGowd
11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Fuck that Dook i just watched those videos, na that shit aint for me ChinChilla it is...

Glyder was making mad noise during the night...

I'd fling something at it, i can't own one sleep is too important to me.,..

Im with you on that shit stiizy after I saw the you tube video I was like WTF that's like having a fucking baby lol plz the whole pissing on me thing that shit doesn't fly lol

DOOK
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Im with you on that shit stiizy after I saw the you tube video I was like WTF that's like having a fucking baby lol plz the whole pissing on me thing that shit doesn't fly lol

actually, they do fly... that is why they are so fucking cool

LeftNutOfGowd
11-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I didn't mean actually fly i meant to say that's not cool with me I don't want sugar gliders piss on my clothes..

I don't think they fly I think they glide

stiizy
11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah i aint fucking with it, but i did just find a place that has them for adoption along with chins so i'm gonna go wednesday and pick something up, Gliders are really cute but it's kinda wack you can't tame them..

I always have my god daughter over too (2) and i dont want her to get bit if she wanted to play with it, she's one of those calm 2 yr olds too, so i know she wont rip my chin to shred nor get bitten

DOOK
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I didn't mean actually fly i meant to say that's not cool with me I don't want sugar gliders piss on my clothes..

I don't think they fly I think they glide

semantics... it's fucking cool regardless... I have a big room in my basement that is basically a big bird cage... the old people that lived here before had some sort of big exotic birds... I may throw up some smaller wire and get a little colony of these bastards.... I would love just watching them.

Yeah i aint fucking with it, but i did just find a place that has them for adoption along with chins so i'm gonna go wednesday and pick something up, Gliders are really cute but it's kinda wack you can't tame them..

I always have my god daughter over too (2) and i dont want her to get bit if she wanted to play with it, she's one of those calm 2 yr olds too, so i know she wont rip my chin to shred nor get bitten

cooooool... if I decide to get a few of them, I may have to make a trip up your way to visit that place.

napaKAliboog
11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
i used to pick my koi up and pet them, they like it. They have to be raised since babies in order for it to happen.

!Zar!
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I'd rather have a ferret.

DOOK
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I'd rather have a ferret.

been down that road

Xbroke_kidX
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
they smell.....really bad haha

muddafakka
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Same here...thought it was about some kind of candy maker. Idk. :duh:

theronin
11-24-2008, 12:59 PM
guys if ur looking for a cute rodent type pet, get a rat. im serious. rats make amazing pets. in my lifetime ive had 3. all superb pets. great with kids, social, and very affectionate. definitely deserves a look into imo.

stiizy
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
^^ Yeah true but it doesn't have that ????

Exotic appeal to me, don't know bout Dook but not sure if i'd own a rat...

napaKAliboog
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you want snake food. But don't get me wrong... rats from pinas are lethal
1. they're big as fuck
2. Rats are perfect vehicles for all kinds of dirty ass shit!

But i'd get a mouse... even a pinky fuck it. The main reason why i don't liek pets though is because they die...it's like im raising something to get fucken sad to in the long run =0(
That's why i think you should get a turtle or a water dog but youd have to evolve it into a tiger salamander then youd be able to swim with em.

theronin
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
rats are cleaner than mice, sugar gliders, hamsters, chinchilas, ferrets and pretty much any other rodent type pet u guys have mentioned.

fiy, male rats get big. female rats stay relatively small.

BustedS13
11-24-2008, 06:48 PM
rats are cool pets, a friend of mine has a huge one. well tempered nice animal.

SILEIGHTY_DET
11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
my step father sells eucalyptus leaves and branches for sugar glyder feed . from what he tells me there are many different breeds of the tree and few that the glyders prefer . his web site is eucproducts.com and the forum that he does most of his sales to is glydercentral.net

hope this helps

WERDdabuilder
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
rats are cool pets, a friend of mine has a huge one. well tempered nice animal.

had one when i was a kid. shit was dope. letting it swim in the tub and shit. liked to chill on my shoulder.

Phlip
11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I am disappointed that this thread is not about cocaine.

SW20Racer
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM

we can fix that.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/30wattfury/Cocaine.png

VROOOM
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
rats are awesome pets.

origin_s135
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
when i was little, there was this dead giant rat i found in the backyard. it was a brown rat, but i guess this guy got stuck between a hole on the fence. don't know how it died, but if he was a little skinnier he would've lived and become a OG. haha.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 07:24 AM

haha yea right, you would've locked this shit up with the quickness... hahahaha

PBucch
11-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I am not really into rodents man, nasty smelly ass creatures. I stick with fish lol

http://yourshitsweak.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/dsc00674.jpg

jskateborders
11-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Used to own two of em.... their fun except for the whole small animals flying around and getting lost thing. Sure they dont really fly, but they can jump across rooms. That and you find poop everywhere. They seriously poop more than they eat. And then the pee. They love to take a piss whenever their on your shoulder. Thats always fun, feeling it run down your back. And the food has to be bought online, or at least for me it did, but then again, thew were illegal in va.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
^^ Damn see i couldn't deal with the whole pissing thing

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 08:41 AM
can someone school me on chinchillas? theyre cute as hell. looks like a mouse that got inflated. do they shit and piss everywhere?

stiizy
11-25-2008, 08:45 AM
^^ I don't know i'm gonna get one tomorrow..

Ask DutchMallis i had him pm me and he put me on to one so i'm gonna get me one..

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 09:27 AM
take lots of pics! and if it ever dies make a hat or some shit like that. its probably the only pet worth more dead then it is alive.

Dutchmalmiss
11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
take lots of pics! and if it ever dies make a hat or some shit like that. its probably the only pet worth more dead then it is alive.

They're pretty easy to maintain. Dustbaths, small fruits (berries, grapes), grass, and things for them to chew on are all you need to buy. They do shit as much as sugar gliders piss, but it's way easier to clean up since it's all dry. Looks like black rice haha.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Yea i will i'm actually very excited to get one....

just trying to figure what to name it when i do, and i gotta chin proof a room in the house for it...

SexPanda
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
God damn you all.

Last night, I had a dream I had like 20 fucking sugar gliders and they were flying all over my house.

I cant really remember much after that... but I also know there was also definately zombies. I need to stop getting on off topic so much.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
^^ hahaha....

Zombie gliders.....

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 10:14 AM
dont even joke about that shit man. zombie gliders would fuck everyone up so bad. zombies are slow, flying squirrles are not!

name it something really manly, like Clint.

SexPanda
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
no there were zombies and suger gliders... not zombie sugar gliders.

But there were zombie dogs. My dreams rarely make any sense.

Dutchmalmiss
11-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Yea i will i'm actually very excited to get one....

just trying to figure what to name it when i do, and i gotta chin proof a room in the house for it...

I used to have two and named them Chad and Pharell. But apparently I found out a little late that they were territorial, so Chad killed Pharrell. Just like something that should happen in reality haha.

!Zar!
11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
dont even joke about that shit man. zombie gliders would fuck everyone up so bad. zombies are slow, flying squirrles are not!

Play left 4 dead.

You'll change your views.

hahaha.

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Play left 4 dead.

You'll change your views.

hahaha.
we already went over this lol. i hated left for dead, Dead Rising is superior.

name it.. after a premie lol

speedracer601
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I had a chinchilla ........for an hour

SochBAT
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Was it yummy?

stiizy
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM

What happened to it???

theronin
11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
name ur chinchilla Jacket, or Coat.

rofl

stiizy
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
name ur chinchilla Jacket, or Coat.

rofl

I'm gonna name him or her Cusco

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/SilviaKid77/1226022142835.gif

arent sugar gliders just adorable though. :P

!Zar!
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
we already went over this lol. i hated left for dead, Dead Rising is superior.

name it.. after a premie lol
I like this idea...
LOL. I must hear this story.
I'm gonna name him or her Cusco

Nah, fuck car related names.

Name him/her Mel.

Fucking best name every in the history of great fucking names.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Nah, fuck car related names.

Name him/her Mel.

Fucking best name every in the history of great fucking names.

yeah i'm gonna name it MEL, haha you funny Mel <- oh shit is that ya name:keke::keke:

Na i still don't know what to name it i might just let my girl name it...

jyon9689
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
That's one letter away from clit. Pretty manly right there:ghey:

Dutchmalmiss
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Just name it MAN. Can't get manlier than that. Or....Chuck.

!Zar!
11-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Name it, CHANGE.

ZenkiCam
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
get a hedgehog.

YouTube - Boogie Boogie Hedgehog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0l2tqFDvM)

im thinking about taking this goat kid off of this farm near me and naming him chuck. or naming him Colonel Shaw.

http://www.incubaker.com/tank/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/goat_1.jpg

Dutchmalmiss
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
get a hedgehog.

im thinking about taking this goat kid off of this farm near me and naming him chuck. or naming him Colonel Shaw.

Damn I found this to be too cute
YouTube - Hamster On A Piano (Eating Popcorn) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzTfgds0UI&NR=1)

stiizy
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM

haha good one.....

get a hedgehog.

aren't they really spiky or whatever?? my god daughter probably would get hurt, she's two

ZenkiCam
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Damn I found this to be too cute
YouTube - Hamster On A Piano (Eating Popcorn) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzTfgds0UI&NR=1)

haha they all are.

chimpanzee on a segway. that shit will brain wash you.

!Zar!
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Nah, they aren't as spiky as people think.

ZenkiCam
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
haha good one.....

aren't they really spiky or whatever?? my god daughter probably would get hurt, she's two

lol idk about where you live but in ga they are illegal, my friend has one.

!Zar!
11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It's only illegal if you get caught.

Anyways, life it like a GTR's warranty. Everything fun shouldn't be done and will get you in trouble.

stiizy
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
lol idk about where you live but in ga they are illegal, my friend has one.

no i think i can have one here...

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Anyways, life it like a GTR's warranty. Everything fun shouldn't be done and will get you in trouble.

Haha good breakdown of life...

DOOK
11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm still debating... doubting sugar glider though...

ZilviaKid
11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
get a mail order bride. seems like the perfect pet to me.

DOOK
11-25-2008, 09:04 PM
get a mail order bride. seems like the perfect pet to me.

already have one pain in the ass bride in my house, don't need a second

stiizy
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm still debating... doubting sugar glider though...

I'm telling you bro, they're cute and all...

but not being able to control it's temper, always biting, pissing, being noisy at night...

Can't do anything about that, i wouldn't and they say when they bite it's pretty much down to the bone...

DOOK
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm telling you bro, they're cute and all...

but not being able to control it's temper, always biting, pissing, being noisy at night...

Can't do anything about that, i wouldn't and they say when they bite it's pretty much down to the bone...

yeah... they are extremely messy and noisy at night... those are big factors... my daughter has been having bad dreams about snakes every night... I'm thinking about getting a australian jungle carpet python or something so she is able to see them and interact with one in person to know they aren't all evil.

stiizy
11-26-2008, 09:00 AM
From a rodent to a serpent okay, random but that works...

get a yellow one if you do.....

DOOK
11-26-2008, 09:04 AM
From a rodent to a serpent okay, random but that works...

get a yellow one if you do.....

i would never have looked into snakes if she hadn't started having the nightmares. My brother always had pythons growing up and they really aren't that exciting, but if it'll help my daughter get over her fears and what not, whatever.

stiizy
11-26-2008, 09:07 AM
^ Yeah i guess or you can take her to the zoo so she can see how boring they are, and then she'll be like oh they're just lazy, boneless , nothing

DOOK
11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
looking at Emerald Tree Boa variety right now...

stiizy
11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Nice i like the Green it looks sick

DOOK
11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
yep.... color isn't so important as i would like to get an arboreal species... who cares about a lazy snake that lays on the floor all day... i want a tree dweller in a tall cage that hunts from above... tree boa and tree pythons

stiizy
12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
^ So i went to see the Breeder, she told me she had all babies like in the months, I get there and all the one's she has she was like yea he's 3, she's 7

Like what no babies??

no not anymore i want to sell these, fuck that, bitch made me drive almost 3 hours away for nothing

DOOK
12-01-2008, 07:49 AM
boooooo...

that's shady... but hey, win some you lose some right?

stiizy
12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah true so now i'm still looking, i called all the shelters in my Area and no one has one so i'm gonna try Exotic pet shops now..

DOOK
12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Our local Pet store has one. Come and visit and get the chinchilla. I'm still trying to warm the old lady up to the idea of a snake, but the daughter LOVES it... she's been watching videos on youtube of snakes eating

stiizy
12-01-2008, 08:05 AM
^^ If i didn't have a 3 week in advance Schedule i would come to WVA to get one...

speedracer601
12-07-2008, 01:54 AM
What happened to it???

It beat up on my wiener dog, It had to go.

Matej
12-07-2008, 02:10 AM
my daughter has been having bad dreams about snakes every night... I'm thinking about getting a australian jungle carpet python or something so she is able to see them and interact with one in person to know they aren't all evil.
That sounds like a terrible idea, haha.