PDA

View Full Version : Body fillers and cancer

az_240
11-22-2008, 07:25 PM
So I have been trying to fill the dents in my car before painting with Rage Gold body filler. Never read any warnings or anything. Just spread the stuff on and sanded it off.

I have been doing this for about 2 weeks now and have just begun developing some irritation on my arms and legs from not covering up... I have been wearing a respirator for the last week since the shirt over the face trick was not working and I was having problems breathing.

I still have breathing problems even with the respirator.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys know of anybody that has gotten sick or got cancer from overexposure to filler dust because I just read the warnings and its got me tripped out.

I have no insurance and no job so I'm pretty F'd as far as seeing a doctor right now.

And yeah I know I'm a retard and should have just covered up... but it is AZ and after about 5 minutes of sanding with a long sleeve, jeans and a respirator I am ready to call it a day.

So how long of an exposure do you think it would take to do some damage? Is this stuff like deathly potent or am I just being paranoid?

silpena
11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
-youll be ok man. Just dont be huffing the filler when fresh which is hard to do. The reason u have issues is probley becuase wither ur respirator is clogged or ur sensitive to dust. It wont really effect much. I do it for a living. Later on in life like 25 yrs from now it will effect you. Hence why alot of body guys get out. The rashes i have no idea why it could just be the chemicals or maybe ur getting a rash from the coarseness of the filler rubbing.

i have never gotten sick from body filler so u have nothing to worry man. Your being paranoid. I block cars all day and nothing happens to me. Yeah sometimes u lose breath becuase all of the sanding wears you out. If your sanding gets heavy then wear a particle mask. Dont wear a restpirator. They clog up and make it harder to breath in plus they're more expensive to maintain. Now what u need to look out for is isocyanate's in the paint hardeners and clear coat. Those will fuck you up just with one huff. That will give u lung cancer easily. You need alot of exposure to get lung cancer and its not deadly as you think.

btw i like the smell of filler..... i dont huff it and smell it for days it just doesn't bother me.

HyperTek
11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
i used that stuff .. had no problems, I did it in open no roof environment... but i do got some slight lung problem *had it for a few years, ligth caugh, last time i had a check up, just a build up of mucus.* I also dont have insurance nor a job right now so sucks.. nothin serious, doctors thought i may have some asthma =\

Pick up a cheap room air cleaner from walmart and have that in your room where you sleep... will help alot.

Matej
11-22-2008, 07:58 PM
It definitely won't add years to your life, but I doubt it will cause any damage significant enough to worry about, unless you're exposed to it for extended periods of time on a frequent basis.

thejapino
11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Sanding fiberglass without protection will cause you some problems though. Definately cover up for that shit

RiversideS13
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
i think you had an allergy reaction (hypersensitive).

from my text book, here is the list of industrialized hazards cause lung cancer.
abestos, arsenic, chromium, uranium, nickel, vinyl chloride

boske
11-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Are you allergic to polyester? Bondo is just a mixture of polyester and talc. The worst reaction most people have is a nose full of boogers.

az_240
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't think I'm allergic.

This isn't Bondo. Its Rage filler.
I was just tripping out because the label on the back made it sound pretty intense with a big WARNING: prolonged exposure to dust causes cancer

I was reading some other forums and it looks like I should be ok for now. Its not like I am intentionally inhaling a ton of this stuff or anything

RiversideS13
11-23-2008, 12:38 AM
u are allergic because you had irritation on your skin and you had difficult time to breath. that is very classic and i would think most people in health care would agree. anyway, just keep that in mind

wow-thats-a-cool-car
11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
be old school and use lead to fill body imperfections lol. I have seen some old guys use lead just like bondo and it works awesomely. It is extremely hard to do tho...

silpena
11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
metal to metal or metal reinforced body filler is the new lead these days. Lots of old hot rod and rat rod guy use it. Ive used it before on welds and patches. Good stuff but really expensive and hard to sand. Even more than fiber glass.

JRas
11-23-2008, 01:25 AM
prolonged exposure

means exposure over a long period of time

you'll be fine just wear a something to cover your nose/mouth

boske
11-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I don't think I'm allergic.

This isn't Bondo. Its Rage filler.
I was just tripping out because the label on the back made it sound pretty intense with a big WARNING: prolonged exposure to dust causes cancer

I was reading some other forums and it looks like I should be ok for now. Its not like I am intentionally inhaling a ton of this stuff or anything

Thats like kleenex vs tissue, its still polyester body filler. Good choice though rage gold is the best for sure.