PDA

View Full Version : Sport Compact Car cancelled??

VROOOM
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
i was on a mazda forum and there was a post about lay offs at Primedia and Sport Compact Car was being cancelled after the feb issue? has anyone else heard this? SCC was the best import car mag available hopefully its not true

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/source-interlink-kills-i-sport-compact-car-i-laying-off-115/

MikeisNissan
11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
if so buy my mags, I have tons of sport compact car mags in there.
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/225919-hundreds-usdm-import-mags-fs.html#post2464357

racepar1
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM
SCC is the ONLY import mag worth actually reading from cover to cover. That would SUCK if they were cancelled.

NismoB13
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM
wow. I really hope that's not true. It's my favorite.

Om1kron
11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
that's life.

JoeC1982
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
autoblog said so, it must be true.

Agamemnon
11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I've seen that mag get smaller and smaller over the years, and this months issue was no exception. Might as well call it Sport Compact Car pamphlet.

ramman434
11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
damn it, it's the only mag that will keep you amused from font to back. There's no need to skip articles in there

twotoes
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
first turbo and now scc, whats next import tuner? modified mag? If all these mags get cancelled! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO READ WHEN IM TAKING A SHIT!!!!????

HyperTek
11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
sad....

you need glam, girls and neons to have a surviving magazine now... back in the late 90's was my favorite era for sport compact car, i also agree that they have been becoming smaller and smaller with content.

Could possibly be due to the popularity of the internet, not enough people buying the magazine.

Matej
11-21-2008, 04:37 PM
If all these mags get cancelled! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO READ WHEN IM TAKING A SHIT!!!!????
That's why Jesus invented laptops and wireless LAN.

shishcabobers
11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
wtf I Have a damn 2 year subcription to them. Anyways if they are they should really take out the subcribe button on their website lol.

codyace
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Sad to hear :(

Thank god GRM is still in publication!

Z_Spool
11-21-2008, 05:11 PM
meh... SCC died a while ago when people like Josh Jacquot and Dave Coleman went away and hasn't been worth reading since. Modified is the best rag on the rack now, and even that is hit-or-miss. I dunno... I think the whole sport-compact scene is in a downward spiral thanks to the economy and the heightened level of law enforcement on our cars.

oh yeah... and these are all strictly my opinions... nothing more.

mRclARK1
11-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Well that's shitty. :(

Modified Mag is ok now and then. I used to have a subscription and I think in that year alone 3/4 of the issues had something S-chassis related. I love the car, but what the hell? Some of the writing seems a little fanboyish at times to. lol

ronmcdon
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
that's terrible. admittedly, it's not as entertaining as what it once was, but I still think it's imperative to the ideal bathroom experience.
the other magazines just don't do much for me. I will miss it, I'm sure.

RiversideS13
11-21-2008, 05:43 PM
oh wow, that sucks. SCC was the only magazine i subscribed.

shinhed
11-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Sad to hear :(

Thank god GRM is still in publication!

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/I_support_this_post.jpg

mtyost
11-21-2008, 07:15 PM
So they cancel Sport Compact Car, yet they keep Super Street. That makes a whole lot of sense. :confused:

AFSil80
11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Well that's lame.

Why can't they just kill off Import Tuner or just combine it with Super Street. Same crap, basically.

ronmcdon
11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
So they cancel Sport Compact Car, yet they keep Super Street. That makes a whole lot of sense. :confused:

it does sadly. Super Street is catered more towards the average ricer. lots more kids are into that garbage. the market unfortunately is larger there, hence more profitable.

but yeah, once I was at the newstand and had nothing better to do. the only automotive mag avail was Super-Street. Other than "MAX" I don't recall reading a worse automotive publication. MAX prob has better looking chicks too.

HyperTek
11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
is honda tuning still around? i remember picking up a issue when i was in highschool and it was pretty legit

derux
11-21-2008, 09:31 PM
meh... SCC died a while ago when people like Josh Jacquot and Dave Coleman went away and hasn't been worth reading since. .

I felt that way too but I had hopes that the newbs would start an angle of their own. It was getting there. I wonder what will happen to the rest of my subscription I have untill april 2010.

codyace
11-21-2008, 09:38 PM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/I_support_this_post.jpg

haha

it's the truth though

GRM and FSC...that's all I like.

ayuaddict
11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
man i remember being 12 and saving up money to get a subscription.

...that was my favorite US auto publication.

i wonder why i turned out to be such a ricer growing up with such great literature.

Bubbles
11-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Yeah they used to do real tests, swaps, and actually drove which was completely different from the other ricer mags.

I haven't bought an issue of SCC or any other magazine for that matter in years.

slider2828
11-22-2008, 02:46 AM
SCC is just getting worse in general. Secondly, people don't modify cars in general any more... Its usually light mods and forums like this replace those magazines because the SEARCH functions can be more detailed then any magazine. Then you have speedhunters and all these other blogs which have way more pictures and way more updates than any magazine... Hence internet life....

But if they improved quality of print and pictures like HyperRev or Drift Tengoku then yah great! Or have something like grassroots motorsports who have interesting events its awesoem...

Koopa Troopa
11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
But if they improved quality of print and pictures like HyperRev or Drift Tengoku then yah great!

Dori Ten really isn't that great.... Half the mag is ads and the pictures are pretty bleh. Only thing that's good about it is the articles have an abundance of pics, the DIY section is pretty cool and it has decent event coverage. It's mostly just a JDM ricer mag though...

HyperTek
11-22-2008, 03:30 AM
SCC is just getting worse in general. Secondly, people don't modify cars in general any more... Its usually light mods and forums like this replace those magazines because the SEARCH functions can be more detailed then any magazine. Then you have speedhunters and all these other blogs which have way more pictures and way more updates than any magazine... Hence internet life....

But if they improved quality of print and pictures like HyperRev or Drift Tengoku then yah great! Or have something like grassroots motorsports who have interesting events its awesoem...

the internet is killing everybody...

esp newspapers..... i used to work in that industry... less people buying em, less people subscribing, prices go up to compensate etc etc.

BustedS13
11-22-2008, 03:33 AM
i canceled my subscription earlier this year because the magazine was already dead. like 90 pages, half ads, nothing worth reading. it really sucks that it's gone.
they killed Turbo, too... how long until i can't even laugh at an issue of Super Skeet?

98s14inaz
11-22-2008, 08:00 AM
SCC is the ONLY import mag worth actually reading from cover to cover. That would SUCK if they were cancelled.

Yup, I got into 240's after that infamous "build a silvia for $3k" issue. Too bad shit like super street and those other ricer magazines stick around...but it is what it is.

Ninjabread
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Sad demise, I had been getting their magazines since 2000, but had stopped recently.

soreballz
11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Primedia: Killer of Good Magazines.

That should be their new slogan...

As mentioned before, SCC isn't that great anymore. It used to be awesome, but now... Not so much.

wow-thats-a-cool-car
11-23-2008, 01:14 AM
this might have something to do with the economy. Like people not spending money on little things like magazines.

jdm538
11-23-2008, 01:19 AM
it might have something to do with advertisers putting money into the web rather than paper ads.

Shaminii
11-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Why read magazines when we can read the internet.

D14
11-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Long live DSport, Evo and Grassroots...

BustedS13
11-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Yup, I got into 240's after that infamous "build a silvia for $3k" issue. Too bad shit like super street and those other fag ricer magazines stick around...but it is what it is.

that's what got me, too. i have four copies of that issue now...

98s14inaz
11-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Why read magazines when we can read the internet.

Because I'd rather read a magazine while taking a shit than bringing my laptop in with me.

D14
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
That's what smart phones with internet access are for.

Silverstreek
11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
wtf happend with turbo? i thought it was a great magazine.

napaKAliboog
11-23-2008, 03:16 PM
threads like this make me not want to sell my s13

stiizy
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Probably cause everyone rather read all the Rice in Import Tuner and Super Street

Phlip
11-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Perhaps I should craigslist all of my old issues once they're finally dead and buried.

SHIFT_*grind*
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I had a subscription for a couple of years, before it became the size of a dinner menu.

Yuri
11-25-2008, 02:12 AM
Although many of us are looking at the death of scc with sadness, it will make a lot of people feel slightly better when they realize that this is the magazine that started the flat-black rattle can trend. Even though SCC used to be a good mag, (especially the articles by Jared Holstein,) I will never forgive it for the legion of horrible rattle can paintjobs now lining the road because of it.

WanganRunner
11-25-2008, 04:27 AM
this is the magazine that started the flat-black rattle can trend

I'm not sure they can really get credit for that, people were rattle-canning cars way before SCC turned a Blue STi Black.

Anyway, it's a damned shame, I just picked up the November issue.

Here's the only car mag I actually subscribe to:

http://www.banpei.net/files/japanese_nostalgic_car_magazine=1.jpg

Nachtmensch
11-25-2008, 05:46 AM
did anybody care to read this?

UPDATE: According to our commentators on the inside of Truck Trend, the mag hasn't been cancelled -- it's being "restructured

oh, and ive been getting their mag since 02. when they did a WRX (bugeye) shoot out. i think COBB won.

Grendel
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
SCC getting canceled sucks, but their magazine has been going down hill for a while now.

They did have some awesome stuff back in the day, like the sentra they chopped up :p

HyperTek
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
even superstreet had some good articles back in the day, now its just filled with girls and bodykit/accessory ads. They had a few good tech articles back in the day before everyone became obsessed with looks..

SCC did have some great project car articles, always mainly focus around value/budget to performance bang... Unlike other magazines who feature parts because they got it free as sponsorship.

Probably is due to sales... Hardly didnt see SCC being carried at supermarkets in the recent years... probably couldnt compete with the market of people buying the other import tuning magazines with the girls on the cover.. =(

Bubbles
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Who remembers the rally project and the articles that followed?

Pure quality.

mtyost
11-25-2008, 09:30 PM
did anybody care to read this?

Quote:
UPDATE: According to our commentators on the inside of Truck Trend, the mag hasn't been cancelled -- it's being "restructured

Why would we care that Truck Trend is getting restructured?

s13tilldeath*
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
lol what the hell^^^ it sucks there going out but i have not bought any mag in awhile. they have had it coming for a little while though.

TheWolf
11-26-2008, 09:52 AM
if you've ever dealt with primedia as a business that wants to advertise in their magazine.. you'll realize douchebags doesn't quite cover it... they wanted to charge a $50 "artist" monthly fee to resize the 4x4 ad and place it into their 4x4 spot... this fee applied whether the ad was changed or not... or it was applied to bimonthly magazines.. and to give you an idea of how much cash they get... a 1 page 4 color ad with a 2 year commitment was about 3k a month. so thumb through it next time and see.. even that stupid black and white tornado ad in the back costs about $600 a month. add up the cash and then wonder "why can a magazine that brings in $120k a month in revenue not make it with 2-3 real writers..

240sxnlr
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Well according to the Editorial page for the Feb issue i just picked up yesterday...it is official Sport Compact Car Magazine = RIP

Such a shame in some ways as their tech articles were nice and they just got into a nice S13 Hatch build. I know This is bringing up an old thread, but figured what the hell, was better than double posting about this.

Otto347
02-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Its everywhere, a few of the magazines we work with got rid of a lot of people and closed an office they had up north and brought the remaining people down to Fl.

Shitty thing is they have this thing called MPMC (Im pretty sure thats what its called) were part manufacturers meet with the magazines to talk about new products and such. The two guys from here went out to cali for this meeting for a week and when they came to work on monday found out that a few of the people that they talked to at the meeting got fired that friday after the meeting.

Shit sucks right now..............

Jonnie Fraz
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Primedia: Killer of Good Magazines.

That should be their new slogan...

As mentioned before, SCC isn't that great anymore. It used to be awesome, but now... Not so much.

Amen! I have back issues of Sport Compact that are like 250 pages, the last one I got was like 90. Modified followed suit once Primedia got its talons into it. Last Modified was 98 pages...wow.

240sxnlr
02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, some of the best issues were back when they were under mcmullen Argus, I have issues back to 94 well before the craze hit Central Texas where I was living at the time.

HyperTek
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
sucks, advertisers have probably been pulling out of ads..

I always thought it would be fun to be a writer for one of those mags or even get your car in there.