PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo Viper at my shop

480sx
11-20-2008, 10:50 PM
So we got this Viper in, advertised 800 HP with a 200 shot of nos. Has a serious boost creep problem, owner says hes hit 16 psi. Lucky he didnt trash the motor already, but its fully built, 50g's into it.

So we get the car, take it apart to find this.

Its running duel 44mm wastegates, which at its desired set boost of 8 should be fine..

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1718.jpg

Can you guys see that crap? They actually used the internal wastegate port on the turbine housing for their external gate. This tiny little 3/4ths inch pipe running out of the hole they cut in a Garrett 5 bolt flange feeds the 44mm wastegate...

After i noticed that, i found some other pretty sad things.

Look at this drain line. Anyone see a problem with this?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1714.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1715.jpg

This came out of one of the 4 main Viper shops in the country. They are a HUGE name, most people have heard of them. Just really, really sad.

I just think its funny that most Ka-T guys know apparently a hell of a lot more about turboing a stock motor than some Viper techs that are getting paid bank to do the work. KA-T's, pat yourselves on the back.

480sx
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Its going to be a really amazing test run on this thing. We have to test the 200 shot of nos to make sure its still not creeping... :p

I cant imagine what 800 hp + an instant 200 hp is going to feel like. Ill try to get a vid when we do it.

Ahh i figure id share this pic with you guys as well.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1719.jpg

480sx
11-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Ohh the horror! Dude it just keeps getting better. Btw i found out today that the company that will remain nameless took 105,000 dollars to do this work. :eek They also pulled the engine and swapped pistons, thats it as far as motor work goes.

First, here are some pics of the IC pipes. The IC pipes on this thing were done with one wicked piece of custom bent silicone, which is actually pretty cool. If it wernt filled with oil.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1807.jpg

Heres how much oil drained out of the hotpipe.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1805.jpg

Oh wait! It wasnt done draining! There was another big pocket of oil that snuck up on me.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1806.jpg

Heres one of the highlights of tonight's adventure into the realms of N/A to turbo building stupidity.

The drain flanges were done with RTV. When i popped them loose half the drain was being restricted by RTV. Look at this dude, i mean honestly..

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1829.jpg

Heres two very unhappy t3/t4 ball bearing Turbonetics. Going to pop off the housings and hot tank them, such garbage. You can see how much oil went through them the housings are coated in it.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1832.jpg

Just for fun, heres the 5 bolt Garrett flanges and their 44mm wastegate setups. Just.. :barf:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1833.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1834.jpg

I love that last one, it looks like some sort of wind instrument. Im going to keep it and see if i can get a reed into it, i bet it makes a great sound.

Or maybe stuff it with food and use it as a cornucopia, seasons greetings guys. :w00t:

Z33dori
11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
wow....

that is just sad....

your not in FL are you???

murda-c
11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Jesus such epic failure.

kouness
11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
wow.. nice dismantling.. comes to show what some shops charge to do work on higher end cars. keep up the work

HyperTek
11-20-2008, 11:02 PM
wow

for the price he originally paid for the setup, just doesnt seem assuring enough to track that around at wot all day without any assurance that it will last. Guess thats how they make repeative customers..

Are the air intakes on the bottom of the car? I suppose thats what the blue tubing looks like since they are leading to the turbo , I guess its just not plumbed in those pictures

thanks for sharing.

soreballz
11-20-2008, 11:03 PM
lol, is this the work of Henessey?

Future240
11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Y cant the owner sue the other company for shoddy workmanship?

dynamicck
11-20-2008, 11:13 PM
DAYAMMMMMMMM
Are you sure that silicon hose wasn't an oil catch can? LOL

So who was it?

KA-T_240
11-20-2008, 11:19 PM
OMG fail!

How much you chargine to redo the complete setup so he can sell all the junk?

touge monster
11-21-2008, 12:09 AM
all i got from this thread was... KA-T FTW!

VQMaxFan
11-21-2008, 01:39 AM
lol, is this the work of Henessey?

looks allot like it lol

bloodangels13
11-21-2008, 07:29 AM
update the progress of someone (you) doing a proper setup please! right now i think im as displeased with that overprice crude as you are.. looking forward to seeing some hotness being done on that thing

bloodangels13
11-21-2008, 07:32 AM
where in NOVA are you? i hope you mean northern VA.... i wanna come see this first hand

480sx
11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Ill keep this thread updated with how we finish the car off. The car is getting a new EMS and everything, im gona get a 900hp Dodge viper dyno vid too, fun stuff. :D

I cant tell you who did this work, i can get sued for slander. Even if what i say is true, to a business my size it would be crushing just to get a lawsuit. Overly litigious society FTL. Heck i would love to post all this on the Viper forums and rip this company a new A hole.

Blood, i dont let anyone down at my shop that i dont know/trust or have done work for. Sorry man, otherwise i would love to show this thing off.

Flicktitty
11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
wow, thats shady as fuck.

J ROK
11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
wow, my build just got alot better.

soreballz
11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Okay okay, don't tell us the name... Just tell us, does the name of the company start with an "H" and end with a "y"? hahaha

macidcrook
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
yes it does. hahahha ive had 3 similar viper in my shop. although the did have the wastegates right the oil drain killed the turbos. how do you expect oil to return to a 10quart oil pan with then drains in the middle. haha doent bother me though i make more money fixxing there screw ups. ahah and none of the "venom 800"s have ever made more then 629whp. a boost controller fixes that though hahah

drftwerks
11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
hahah i was gonna ask if the name rhymes with schmennesy

CylonFrakker
11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
its is who he says its not and it isn't who says its not..................

mRclARK1
11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
:ugh:

People wonder why I do all my work myself as much as possible?

AFSil80
11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
It is beyond me why people still go to Hennesey. He's such a crook.

480sx
11-21-2008, 08:25 PM
So blown away by how many people think its Hennesey, me and my co-owner were laughing about it. On every NISSAN forum they i have posted this one i get the same Q over and over.. Does their name start with an H? Lol you guys are crackin us up.

How does a company like Hennesey stay in business is my Q. With such a bad rep in the NISSAN world, lol, how the hell are they still working in this field? Also, do they have NO learning curve at all? I mean for real..?!

'Well the way we have been doing it for the last 10 years hasnt worked once and we got another Viper in, you know the drill!'

J ROK
11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
So is the company Hennessy?

GSXRJJordan
11-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Big shops that offer turn-key solutions will always attract those with more money than brains/skill. The little shops (or shops with race teams) will always do a better job, and usually for less money. I've experienced something similar in the Corvette world, where my Dad paid >$10k for a supercharger setup (charger, plate, purge valve, intercooler, radiator, injectors, FPR, gauges) that I could have installed for about half that - then the belt had problems, then the Fuel Pressure gauge, etc, etc. I end up fixing it, just because that place has a huge waiting list.

S14DB
11-21-2008, 09:14 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370008_223_full.jpg

iHeartTheTouge
11-21-2008, 09:16 PM
that is very surprising. i'd expect SOO MUCH more from people who work on vipers etc. for a living. so sad.

macidcrook
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
i work on vipers for a living and would never let a horribly enginered car leave my shop like that. it just goes to show what a big name and head can do to you. you end up with alot of time spent on something that doesnt even work.

Bubbles
11-22-2008, 01:41 AM
So where's the video of you ripping the shit out of this thing doing some test runs?

Koopa Troopa
11-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Its running duel 44mm wastegates, which at its desired set boost of 8 should be fine..
Damn, that just seems a little small for an 8.0L V10...

Look at this drain line. Anyone see a problem with this?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1714.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/foureighty/IMG_1715.jpg

AN fittings and Earls lines? We don't need no stinkin An fittings and Earls lines!

First, here are some pics of the IC pipes. The IC pipes on this thing were done with one wicked piece of custom bent silicone, which is actually pretty cool. If it wernt filled with oil.

Those silicone "pipes" OK to use for boost? That just seems a little farfetched to me. You going to keep using them? I dunno, I just can't trust something used to make boobs to keep it's structural integrity under boost...

S14DB
11-22-2008, 07:30 AM
AN fittings and Earls lines? We don't need no stinkin An fittings and Earls lines!
Mainly the cardinal sin of putting the turbo drains lower then the oil pan. Oil has no where to drain to when it's the same height as the oil. Then it blows the turbo seals as shown.
Those silicone "pipes" OK to use for boost? That just seems a little farfetched to me. You going to keep using them? I dunno, I just can't trust something used to make boobs to keep it's structural integrity under boost...
Good tubing has 3~5 bands of reinforcement. cheap shit has 1. APS has their whole cold pipe made out of it.
Nissan 200SX Performance (http://www.airpowersystems.com/200sx/fmic/fmic.html)

98s14inaz
11-22-2008, 07:50 AM
What is it with shops not being held accountable for shitty work? "We're too big and important to care about your car, your check cleared so sit on your thumb."

I'd be infinitely pissed if that was my car. Even when my KA-t threw a rod because the engine builder used arp on everything except the rod bolts...which was something I was promised paid for btw, then they told me tough shit when it fell apart. I do all my own work now.

DOOK
11-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Big rig trucks utilizing gigantic turbos and much higher boost than you or I will ever run use a very similar pipe setup, so I think it'll probably be trustworthy.

mRclARK1
11-22-2008, 11:36 AM
What is it with shops not being held accountable for shitty work? "We're too big and important to care about your car, your check cleared so sit on your thumb."

I'd be infinitely pissed if that was my car. Even when my KA-t threw a rod because the engine builder used arp on everything except the rod bolts...which was something I was promised paid for btw, then they told me tough shit when it fell apart. I do all my own work now.

Yeah, so many shops think they can get away with anything now and just tell you "tough shit". It's really sad.

Slide_ways14
11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
LOLOL

fail at life.
:mepoke:

ZenkiCam
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
well if you cant say who the shitty shop is, get the owner of the car on here to say who it is, cause if i were him i would be pissed, and spread the word as much as possible that that shop sucks.

ranger240
11-22-2008, 01:03 PM
well if you cant say who the shitty shop is, get the owner of the car on here to say who it is, cause if i were him i would be pissed, and spread the word as much as possible that that shop sucks.

jeese you really cant tell who the shop is?

what good is it to have the owner waste his or her time going on zilvia and telling people who cant afford that shops shoddy work to stay away?

ZenkiCam
11-22-2008, 03:01 PM
no i cant tell what shop it is because i dont give a fuck about vipers.

and speak for yourself on people not being able to afford things. i cant lol, but not everyones broke.

codyace
11-22-2008, 03:09 PM

I agree that I would have went A/N, but some of the newer push-loc stuff works extremely well. Plenty of 8+ second cars using it without issue.

They are perfectly fine. Corky Bell himself uses them on his Miata kits :D

Also \/ \/ \/

Big rig trucks utilizing gigantic turbos and much higher boost than you or I will ever run use a very similar pipe setup, so I think it'll probably be trustworthy.

Exactly. However, some/most applications also utilize woundup spring like metal inside and or outside as well to prevent them from collapsing. (We own a big truck repair shop)

macidcrook
11-22-2008, 03:10 PM
yes its from hennessy i know 480sx wont admit it and thats fine. i work for a viper shop and have no problem telling you guys that it is. we have actully had hennessy send us a few cars to "finish". there xcuse was the customer was closer to us and they were to busy to complete it.

soreballz
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
LOL @ what people are saying in the linkback threads at the bottom of this page...

I would honestly be SHOCKED if it wasn't Hennessy that did this.

AFSil80
11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
So blown away by how many people think its Hennesey, me and my co-owner were laughing about it.

Maybe because he has an awful habit of overcharging everyone and his product often fails to deliver the results as advertised, i.e, Venom 800's not making 800whp.

Paying $105,000 is pretty retarded for only an additional 100whp and a buncha stickers.

GSXRJJordan
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe because he has an awful habit of overcharging everyone and his product often fails to deliver the results as advertised, i.e, Venom 800's not making 800whp.

He never claimed to create 800 wheel hp, just an "800 hp motor". And you're forgetting that this is an RT/10, which had 440hp at the motor to begin with - thats >150% increase. Additionally, there's a ton of other stuff they do to the cars, but you're probably not interested in all that.

Lets keep this thread on topic, with the OP continuing to document the journey this poor Viper has had from it's painful past to the mecca of properly built race machines.

Mi Beardo es Loco
11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
honestly, who in their right mind would pay over $100k for ANY turbo setup? Does this "shop" claim that the Viper is a different type of motor and requires their "expert" care? They're just better off buying a r35.

slw240sx
11-22-2008, 03:54 PM
all that money and the kit looks like it was designed and welded by a person on homemadeturbo, thats sad. i just spent a bit of time checking out their site and accomplishments. It makes me wonder if their are tiers of service quality in that company. like people buying the base kits will get their cars built by the kids in the tuner school, and the celebs and industry big wigs get their cars built by the fabricators and techs that make 80-100K a year and are the real deal.

Bubbles
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
From a business standpoint you could do well in the high end automotive shop.

The people are rich enough the money isn't a big deal and they will probably never pop the hood and find out how shitty your work is.

muddafakka
11-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Dude should've taken his shit to Heffner Performance instead.

lt1camaroman93
11-24-2008, 12:44 AM
He never claimed to create 800 wheel hp, just an "800 hp motor". And you're forgetting that this is an RT/10, which had 440hp at the motor to begin with - thats >150% increase. Additionally, there's a ton of other stuff they do to the cars, but you're probably not interested in all that.

Lets keep this thread on topic, with the OP continuing to document the journey this poor Viper has had from it's painful past to the mecca of properly built race machines.

I had to join just to make one post. I've never seen someone with such horrible math. 800-440= a 360hp increase being an 81.8% increase. A 150% increase would be a 660hp increase putting the car at 1100hp. School is your friend!

s13.5guy
11-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Wow. Just sad. :(

grcforce327
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Hennescrew isn't the only crook,there's SUCKASS VIPER SCREWUPS(svs)too!

Best of the best from svs! - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum (http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/67753-best-best-svs.html)

THEY ARE :mrmeph:S

dynamicck
11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I had to join just to make one post. I've never seen someone with such horrible math. 800-440= a 360hp increase being an 81.8% increase. A 150% increase would be a 660hp increase putting the car at 1100hp. School is your friend!

You are forgetting the 200 shot of NAWZ. Total increase be 127%.

GSXRJJordan
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Looks like this thread has attracted all of the existing trolls, and even brought on a few more.

Thanks for the syntax correction - I originally wrote it up to be ">150%" of the stock power, and rewrote to show increase - you're correct in stating that I should have written ">50%" increase.

napaKAliboog
11-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't even use those clamps anymore they like to cut..and even if they don't cut or not deep enough to harm there's still a potential and a potential for any negativity with that type of car and money is stupid in my opinion

trsilvias13
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM

dont forget your math too

440 is at the motor while, the claimed 800 is at the wheel, thus you have to compare what stock viper makes. Given that there is a drivetrain lost from motor to the wheel. It would actually be more than 81%

lt1camaroman93
11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
dont forget your math too

440 is at the motor while, the claimed 800 is at the wheel, thus you have to compare what stock viper makes. Given that there is a drivetrain lost from motor to the wheel. It would actually be more than 81%

In the gentleman's post that I quoted, I read it as him comparing crank hp to crank hp. To the guy who said don't forget the 200 shot of NAWZ, that was not taken into account in either equation. Thank you though. Either way, I would be pressing suite with the company who built that car. That is just pathetic that someone would try and pass that piss poor work off on any build, let alone a six figure build.

Future240
11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
For six figures that build better make me breakfast and give me head every fucking day