PDA

View Full Version : Can Harley-Davidson survive the downturn?

S14DB
11-20-2008, 03:44 PM
America has a strong -- and growing -- used motorcycle market. Add a plunging economy to that, and the road is getting a little rough for Harley-Davidson these days.

Harley shares have taken a beating lately, falling 41% in less than three weeks. Shares are down 70% year to date. Sure, the stock looks cheap, but analysts warn that the earnings potential for the company is unclear.

One reason is that core Harley buyers are simply getting older. Only 12% of buyers are under 35, and long-term demand will slow as baby boomers "exit their peak riding years," wrote a JPMorgan analyst in a recent client note. The analyst expects motorcycle registrations to drop 14.7% next year in the U.S. and 4.2% internationally.

Harley also made bad business decisions. It sold bikes to buyers who clearly couldn't afford it, handing out $20,000 motorcycles with no money down, according to BusinessWeek. And now, a lot of subprime borrowers simply can't, or won't, repay those risky bike loans.

That's led to concerns about the credit rating for Harley's financial services unit. Standard & Poor's has placed Harley on "CreditWatch Negative" status and will meet with management with concerns.

Harley is responding by cutting back shipments to retailers, in hopes that it will reduce its inventory levels. The company has said that earnings will drop about 18% in 2008 -- the second straight year of decline after 20 years of growth, according to Standard & Poor's.

Harley shares are in the $13 range now, and option traders expect the stock to drop below $10 by Dec. 19.

Can Harley-Davidson survive the downturn? - Top Stocks Blog - MSN Money (http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/11/19/can-harley-davidson-handle-the-downturn.aspx)

UfoZ8myCow
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Harleys are for old farts and the old farts are slowly trading in their crusiers for walkers in the local nursing home.

8 out of 10 men in the 18-28 year old range would rather buy a sport bike.

If Harley could make their Buells less ugly and more appealing to the sportbike crowd, they could help their company out. But that means spending millions on research and development trying to catch up to companies like Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki and spending even more millions trying to get their Buells to be competitive against those bikes on the racetrack and funding teams to ride them.

Not gonna happen because they cant afford it.

Ill just wait and buy shares in Harley when the stock is worth like $2. Someday itll go back up to $10, and then I'll sell. Then the company will go under. Booyah +1 for my pocket book.

Matej
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Harleys are overpriced, the performance and quality aren't anything spectacular, and they get weak gas mileage for a motorcycle.

Pretty much the only thing they have going for them is brand loyalty.

driftking777
11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Being as i live in South Dakota and near one of the largest biker rally's spots (Sturgis). I can honestly say i hope they dont make it, i hate harleys. dont even get me started on how most of harley owners drive around the time of the rally (AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!)

Makes me want to run them over when there is a group of 30 of them taking up the Speed lane and slow lane doing 55mph in a 75 zone. Sometimes i wish running them over wasnt a crime.

IMO after riding quite a few of them, i think they ride like crap too. i'll take the ride and reliability of a foreign bike.

racepar1
11-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I HATE harley's! Good fucking riddance! Their damn exhaust is the most annoying sound in the world.

On a more serious note now. Harley-Davidson will never go completely out of business. They are an american icon. They may get hurt, BAD, but they will not dissapear. The same goes for GM, ford, and chrysler (as much as I hate to admit it). GM and chrysler may have to drop some product lines, which they should have done forever ago, and ford may have to downsize too but they will not dissapear.