PDA

View Full Version : So who's getting a BlackBerry Storm tomorrow?

neverrain
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Patiently waited with my Verizon while everyone else got an iPhone, but I refused to leave Verizon for AT&Ts crappy service. Tomorrow is the day. =)

andmattsayd
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
damn i wish. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

s13silady
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
meh... im in love with my BB Bold... have fun with screen lag. and yes i know this from experience.. my friend is a RIM Rep and has a personal storm given to him.. he hates it. i played with it.. its fun and all... but id rather keep my bold.

SHIFT_*grind*
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I left Verizon for AT&T and am happy so far.

I love the Blackberry Storm commercials, the guy fuckin' with the phone in amazement. "Wow, it's a touch screen?? There aren't any buttons??? WOW, there's a keyboard on the screen?!!!! AMAZING." Welcome to June '07, you're a little bit late to the party.

Daniel.
11-20-2008, 02:37 PM
The storm sucks. I hate the UI.

I've been testing pre release versions for the last 4 or 5 months.

Ugh.

On the other hand. I have a bold. And I love it.

ronmcdon
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
The Storm seems like a good phone, maybe Blackberry's version of the I-phone at a cheaper $600. Verizon really needs some better phones. I'm really not too happy with their limited selection of primitive offerings from LG and Samsung.

Really miss the Sony Ericsson and Nokia phones from AT&T, although I don't care for their service.

stiizy
11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I think i will i'm do for an upgrade and my Q9m sucks i cant even text anymore without it freezing

ronmcdon
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I left Verizon for AT&T and am happy so far.

I think it really depends on where you live/work/play. I have friends who have absolutely no problem with AT&T's signal. Makes no sense to pay more for Verizon, plus you get a nicer selection of phones.

Where I live, AT&T drops calls a lot, but Verizon works fine. Verizon's not perfect either. I get no signal at all when I'm out doing track days in Willow Springs. Would suck if my car broke down out there, and I can't make any calls.

TheWolf
11-20-2008, 03:22 PM
engadget has a nice review about it

BlackBerry Storm review - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/19/blackberry-storm-review/)

being a iphone3g owner competition's nice but when they get an apps store that is remotely close to the iphones. Then call me. Sounds like silly stuff but using my iphone as a GPS chartplotter for my boat or as a skycaddy when I play golf are features that none of the others have. They're not advertised either but damn usefull. The user experience is consistant between every app. It's not the hardware anymore that sells it, it's the user apps which are mostly devoid of any real substantive content on other devices. Shame verizon turned down the iphone because it wasn't serious. RIM's looking like that "safe bet" eh.

SHIFT_*grind*
11-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm no iPhone fanboy (I got mine for the express purpose of developing for it), but damn, I love it more every day. The Storm is (probably) the most talked-about "iPhone killer!!!" thus far, and its interface doesn't even look that intuitive in the damn commercial. I don't imagine it being any better in real life. All these phones are trying so hard just to match a phone that came out a year and a half ago; I don't see any of them passing it up anytime soon.

I didn't really want to leave Verizon for AT&T, but so far they've been fine for me. Cheaper, actually.

Daniel.
11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm no iPhone fanboy (I got mine for the express purpose of developing for it), but damn, I love it more every day. The Storm is (probably) the most talked-about "iPhone killer!!!" thus far, and its interface doesn't even look that intuitive in the damn commercial. I don't imagine it being any better in real life. All these phones are trying so hard just to match a phone that came out a year and a half ago; I don't see any of them passing it up anytime soon.

I didn't really want to leave Verizon for AT&T, but so far they've been fine for me. Cheaper, actually.

If you think it looks shitty in the commericial. Just wait till you get a chance to play with it yourself. It sucks. Everything is hard to navigate. The clicking the entire screen thing is annoying as hell. Everything about the user experience is shitty.

origin_s135
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
i hate verizon wireless.

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I think I'm going to buy one tomorrow, itll probably cost me around 80 dollars or so after all the discounts. Which is not bad. I will use it for a month, and see how horribly annoyed I get.

Then I will buy the HTC Touch Pro for 3 times the price.

S14DB
11-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Does it have a solenoid to make the click noise or is it a cheap sound effect?

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM
its not a sound effect. it actually clicks which is gay cuz that limits how fast you can type. Per the review at engadget.

FaLKoN240
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Well I'm happy I read this before going out to get one, I was seriously thinking about it, but this will definitely make me think twice.

I wonder if Verizon knows that their shitty phone choices is one of the reasons they're REALLY not #1...

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
^^yup.

Before you make that decision. Go here:
Verizon BlackBerry Storm Review Roundup & Reactions! | CrackBerry.com (http://crackberry.com/verizon-blackberry-storm-review-roundup)

There are a ton of reviews, some positive, some negative and some neutral. Ive read through a couple and I think it depends on your type of use for the phone. Which is why im going to try it out.

mRclARK1
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Friend of mine who works for Verizon was playing with one the other day. In his words "This thing is amazing... An amazing piece of shit. Keep the iPhone"

He also said the clicking thing makes you want to throw it against a wall. We tend to like the same features etc. in phones, so I'm gonna take his word for it.

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
well thats the thing, you cant keep the iphone, if you are on verizon.

And I dont know why on every site the storm is being compared to the iPhone. I dont think its anywhere near that type of market or solution. Nice try by RIM though.

mRclARK1
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm not on Verizon. I'm not even on a US cellular network. I'm on Rogers (essentially AT&T in Canada... although they really don't like saying that. lolz)... So I don't care.

I think any cellular service has it's ups and downs. Where I live in Canada Rogers is considered to have really bad service (and they kinda do, it's range outside major areas is less than others etc.), but in the rest of the country their service is great... Never has "no signal" or "no service" on your phone. It all depends where you live who's the best to go with...

drift freaq
11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I saw the ads for the Storm and I have friends with Blackberry's that have talked about getting it. Though no app store? no go.

My friends have Iphones, I picked up a G1 because I have T-Mobile and the price was a no brainer, shit these things are selling unlocked on ebay for $400!
I do not have problems with my service here in Los Angeles nor in Chicago or the bay area.

I will say while it might not have a couple of features the Iphone has(pinch grab) it does have features the Iphone does not(fold out Keyboard and amazing location maps). Plus for the most part it does most of what the Iphone does. The Android market place has taken off and a lot of the same apps the Iphone has are on the Android market place.

I am impressed with the Android platform and while my phone might not be as pretty as a Iphone and weigh a bit more, I fucking love the keyboard which makes texting a breeze. Something I used to hate, conversely though you can single handed text on the Iphone.
Though most Iphone users complain about the soft qwerty keyboard on it.

Can the Storm live up to these two phones? Good question, will regular Blackberry people convert for the sake of touch screen with no apps?
Thing is Blackberry has always been about business and the Iphone and the G1 both are about more user interface than strictly business. Everybody wanted to label the G1 as a competitor to the Iphone but they missed the bigger picture. The G1 is based on something much bigger than the phone itself.
Open source!

Right now the number one and two smartphones by surveys on the Web are the Iphone number 1 and the G1 number 2.
Both of which are tough acts to follow in my opinion.
Based on the feature sets they are throwing at you and the constantly daily increase of more and more user apps especially on the open platform of Android.
Watch for more phones coming out using Android next year. It should be pretty interesting.

So why is Blackberry even trying to go down this road? They make phones for a completely different type of user to begin with.

seanc
11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
i760 is the verizon phone to have.

Daniel.
11-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not on Verizon. I'm not even on a US cellular network. I'm on Rogers (essentially AT&T in Canada... although they really don't like saying that. lolz)... So I don't care.

I think any cellular service has it's ups and downs. Where I live in Canada Rogers is considered to have really bad service (and they kinda do, it's range outside major areas is less than others etc.), but in the rest of the country their service is great... Never has "no signal" or "no service" on your phone. It all depends where you live who's the best to go with...

Get the bold.

Trust.

It's awesome.

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
i760 is the verizon phone to have.

That phone is now discontinued. I was looking at that for a while. It has a slow processor so no go. Right now im using the Treo 700w which is very old and running wm5. My other pda broke and this was free so im using it til I am able to upgrade (tomorrow).

Ive been using touch screen phones and smartphone/pdas well before the iPhone came out. Windows mobile phones have been able to do all and more for a long time. iPhone just made it easy for an average user to enjoy all those features without much work.

I look forward to the new touch screen phones that enter the market. It should be a fun ride now that there is a general interest into smartphones.

drift freaq
11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
That phone is now discontinued. I was looking at that for a while. It has a slow processor so no go. Right now im using the Treo 700w which is very old and running wm5. My other pda broke and this was free so im using it til I am able to upgrade (tomorrow).

Ive been using touch screen phones and smartphone/pdas well before the iPhone came out. Windows mobile phones have been able to do all and more for a long time. iPhone just made it easy for an average user to enjoy all those features without much work.

I look forward to the new touch screen phones that enter the market. It should be a fun ride now that there is a general interest into smartphones.

True that but WinMo is Winblo lol as far as phone operating systems go.

MudRacer
11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
True that but WinMo is Winblo lol as far as phone operating systems go.

haha I agree. They all require reboots. I reboot my palm atleast 5-6 times a day on a constant use. Some application always fills up the ram and wont leave until u reboot.

But installing the proper apps and properly tweaking your winmo phone can make it a killer phone. You just need to know how to use it.

And yes, its much more work than its worth. Which is why im willing to try out blackberrries.

I refuse to buy the iPhone and/or leave the verizon network as pricey as they might be. Their service and call quality beat all other services here in so cal.

BustedS13
11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
i like the storm, but i'm holding out for the next android phone before i settle into a contract with a new provider.

SHIFT_*grind*
11-20-2008, 08:15 PM
G1 stuff

I've been curious about the Android-powered phones and am really curious to see how the G1's app marketplace does in comparison to the iPhone's app store.

BustedS13
11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I've been curious about the Android-powered phones and am really curious to see how the G1's app marketplace does in comparison to the iPhone's app store.
G1 apps are going to rape anything the iphone has. no limits YO

but yeah, i'm not switching to TMobile, especially since they don't provide 3g here. if ATT had that phone i'd go ATT tomorrow.

neverrain
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Damn, I started this thread to get some opinions and I got busy at work and didn't get a chance to reply til now.

I've been glancing over at reviews for a better portion of the day and I must say that I'm pretty let down in the quality of reviews nowadays. 95% of what I've read is biased towards the iPhone and written (of course) by iPhone users. I read the Engadget review a couple hours ago and that was the least biased, though still written by an iPhone user as well. Also, while I realize that the Storm is directly marketed to compete with the iPhone, that doesn't mean it needs to be exactly like it to succeed.

Now I don't own an iPhone (as stated in my OP) but I do own an iTouch. I set email and all the usual up on that because I could. By far my biggest issue was using the damn keyboard. I fat fingered the surround letters a lot, which was enough to bother me. By the time I got what I wanted typed out, with backspaces and such, the message itself would have been faster on my Razr using T9. The click screen on the Storm is supposed to help this. Most of the user posted comments on the phone (mostly from VodaPhone users, since they got the phone last week) have stated that the push screen is a bit weird at first, but after a couple hours you get used to it. They all said it's something you have to try in store to see if you can work with it or not.

Also, to whomever said above about the lack of an App store being a no go, Verizon and RIM have both stated multiple times that an App store is due out early next year. When the iPhone was released they went a good year plus before an App store was added, although jailbreaking the phone allowed use of 3rd party apps. A process which had to be redone for every software upgrade.

It's really hard to compare the two until you actually use one. BlackBerry has a huge market in business because of it's communication capabilities, a corner of the market that has been religiously on BlackBerry for a long time. The BlackBerry Storm is not geared towards the 15 year old high school kid who feels that he needs to be cool and own an iPhone because they are trendy.

Nonetheless, I'll be going to Verizon tomorrow afternoon to see the phone in person. I'm going to play with it for a little bit, see if I like it, and if so, I'll be buying one. And I'll be buying one without an upgrade, which means $450. Much more than an iPhone iirc. I've used an iPhone maybe 3 times in my life for a total of 15 minutes. After I get back from Verizon I'll post my non biased impressions here. If I hate the phone I won't be afraid to say it. If I do, Verizon won't get my money (for that phone at least, been with them forever).

EDIT - I would like to add that I don't hate Apple at all. I own a MacBook Pro and use an iMac at work. But I also have a PC for gaming. Apple is good, but they aren't perfect.

mRclARK1
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Get the bold.

Trust.

It's awesome.

I like it. I just came across an iPhone for a very good price. Between the two though I still prefer the iPhone.

I can see why some people would complain about the qwerty keyboard on the iPhone, it is kinda tricky to use, even with the phone rotated to allow the bigger keyboard (which it unfortunately doesn't do for texting)... But I have narrow fingers. haha... I can see how fat fingered people would get super annoyed.

My next phone will probably be a G1, just to try it out. But that's not for a year or two yet. I intend to keep my iPhone until it's done. Who knows what will be available then.

SHIFT_*grind*
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
G1 apps are going to rape anything the iphone has. no limits YO

Like I said......we'll see. It'll be interesting to watch how it unfolds. No approval process + all free apps = total anarchy? Could be good or bad. I do like that Android apps can run in the background...THAT would be helpful on the iPhone, for sure.

Multitouch is just so addicting though :) My fingers are kinda wide and I hit the wrong keys from time to time, but if I'm texting and make a mistake, 99% of the time it'll substitute the right word in for me anyway.

Daniel.
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I like it. I just came across an iPhone for a very good price. Between the two though I still prefer the iPhone.

I can see why some people would complain about the qwerty keyboard on the iPhone, it is kinda tricky to use, even with the phone rotated to allow the bigger keyboard (which it unfortunately doesn't do for texting)... But I have narrow fingers. haha... I can see how fat fingered people would get super annoyed.

My next phone will probably be a G1, just to try it out. But that's not for a year or two yet. I intend to keep my iPhone until it's done. Who knows what will be available then.

Good stuff. Everyone always asks me "whats the best phone out there right now?"

My truly honest opinion is that you should get whatever phone works best for YOU.

For me, I would totally own an iPhone right now, but i can't type for the life of me on it. I prefer the full keyboards on the BB's and other devices. Other than that, iPhone all the way.

S14DB
11-21-2008, 06:42 AM

Like I said......we'll see. It'll be interesting to watch how it unfolds. No approval process + all free apps = total anarchy? Could be good or bad. I do like that Android apps can run in the background...THAT would be helpful on the iPhone, for sure.

Multitouch is just so addicting though :) My fingers are kinda wide and I hit the wrong keys from time to time, but if I'm texting and make a mistake, 99% of the time it'll substitute the right word in for me anyway.

Some iPhone apps can run in the background. Sometimes it's annoying cause they will keep the wifi/Data on all the time and drain the battery.

The $20 developer fee for Android apps scares me. I know some amateur coders who are jumping on the bandwagon. Alpha and Beta Testing in the store. Hell if someone finds an exploit.

iPhone touch typing is sort of a leap of faith. Only the tip of your finger touches the pad so the keypad can be much smaller. You will cover 3 keys with your finger but only hit the center one. Have to adapt if you hit the screen at weird angles. Once you know where the center of your finger is you can touch type like a keyboard. Where you are not looking at your fingers but at the text being displayed. Once I got it down I was clacking away like a typewriter. My friend is an avid texter and she was like "WTF, Typing a novel?"

CKAMC
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Despite what Daniel said.... I like the phone a lot. I got to play with one yesterday for three hours and loved it a lot, navigating is pretty easy and you wont mes up by accidentally clicking on something because you have to press into the screen a little bit for it to perform an action. The OS is a little laggy but there is an update expected to fix it this weekend.

I still have my LG dare and had it for the past 5 months, I find the keyboard on the Storm way better than iphone and my Dare.

Go play with one, some people love it and some people can careless.

VZW is getting a version of the bold, wont be out til next spring tho.

I dropped att for vzw and I live in one of the easiest cities for cell providers to do well in, phoenix arizona *aka desert*. had too many missed calls and drops in data coverage in the metro area so when I started working for VZW I switched 2 months into working and have no regrets.

Daniel, the final build is miles away from those beta builds you played with.

This phone is definately competition for iphone, hands down.

Daniel.
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I have my production one on order right now. it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it will change my opinion. I have two versions of the hardware right now, running the two latest preproduction firmware and I hate both.

*crosses fingers*

MudRacer
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
The nearby stores i called , huntington beach, cypress, westminister, all ran out of the phones in store and are now ordering them from corporate and mailing it out.

Sucks. I wanted to pick one up.

CKAMC
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
If you don't like it I am more than willing to buy it off you, I can't use my employee deal since you can only use it once a year (lame).

When you get it, don't hate on it until after 4.7.0.65 gets updated (the os) since the next release is said to remove the lag issues.

Daniel.
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Wait, i already have 4.7.0.92 on one of them. It's a vodafone firmware, and i installed 4.7.0.65 a few weeks ago on my vzw one.

Not impressed.

DALAZ_68
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
all i know is im happy with my XV6800... Iphones are way to fragily. whats so bad ass is i can put an iphone skin app on my xv6800, but id feel as if i was downgrading lol

MudRacer
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Just went to the Verizon store and bought one. for a price of 138. Since they were all out they are going to ship it on Monday. What sucks is they got rid of the worry free guarantee. So you cant just try it out and return it within 30 days and get a full refund.

Now Verizon charges you $35 for returning the phone even if you don't like it.

I played with the phone in the store. and the clicking the screen down was kind of a backwards step since you are already touching the screen and now u have to press it. Being a regular touch screen user, I don't think I'm going to like it.

I don't know why I still bought this phone. Someone shoot me.

SoSideways
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I wanted to get this phone, but just like anything that I've bought/installed, I am the type that want to sit back and wait a bit after initial release so that the bugs and issues will get worked out before I make my final decision on it, and it is no different with the Storm.

I'm going to play with it at the store and see how I like it before I make up my mind on it.

BTW I've played with the iPhone and my wife has an LG Dare, and so far I like the Dare's screen and its keyboard. The browser and video player on the Dare sucks though.

I also agree with everyone that the iPhone keyboard is too small. I have tiny twig fingers and I still hit the wrong keys all the time. Don't have that problem on the LG Dare though.

I've been with VZW for a while now, switched from AT&T because they were constantly dropping calls and at that time (something like 5 years ago) their coverage was shitty too, and VZW was much better.

I would really like to stay with VZW, but like many have said before, their phone selection just sucks!!

murderrsirenss
11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
ill stick to my sidekick

SimpleS14
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm going to check it out, but I'm patiently waiting for the HTC Touch Diamond to grace VZW.

http://blog.omio.com/wp-content/htc-touch-diamond.jpg

DALAZ_68
11-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Just went to the Verizon store and bought one. for a price of 138. Since they were all out they are going to ship it on Monday. What sucks is they got rid of the worry free guarantee. So you cant just try it out and return it within 30 days and get a full refund.

Now Verizon charges you $35 for returning the phone even if you don't like it.

I played with the phone in the store. and the clicking the screen down was kind of a backwards step since you are already touching the screen and now u have to press it. Being a regular touch screen user, I don't think I'm going to like it.

I don't know why I still bought this phone. Someone shoot me.
and hence why i llove my QWERTY...:wan:

enjetek
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
i was in line to order one at cc and got to play with a demo one. needless to say, these reviews were correct:

BlackBerry Storm: The reviews are in - Apple 2.0 (http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/11/20/blackberry-storm-the-reviews-are-in/)

basically it was slow (vertical to horizontal and repeat), the keys were slow to respond, and wow it seemed as if the phone was broken because the keys were typing incorrectly (ex: hitting a letter produced a number). the rep there said the phone may have gotten damaged from customers using it. not bad for ike 2-3 hours of usage. now im looking for an iphone. my current pearl is much easier/faster to use.

C. Senor
11-22-2008, 01:26 AM
yeah. i was playing with the managers at the store near me. he had turned the phone to use the qwerty but it took a while. i laughed and after a little while he put it away and i asked if it had ever turned over. we all just laughed. it's pretty cool though. not too difficult to use. either way, mine is coming today supposedly before noon. i'll play with it and let you guys know what i think. i'm coming from the iphone and blackberry curve. so we'll see how this one goes.

Bubbles
11-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Apple is good, but they aren't perfect.

Logic?

Now I know you don't own anything apple.

CKAMC
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Daniel do you notice any differences with the vodafone firmware?

the main reason for the shortage is due to them having to reflash all the units to .65 because they found a security bug within the original firmware they were going to ship out, security that is in regards to verizon having complete control of the device.

The HTC Diamond wont be out til after the new year, expect the pro (keyboard model) to be out on the 1st of december.

Be sure to mess with the options, you can make the keyboard quicker.

Also unlike the old os, when you back out of an app you have to actually close it, unless you change your options, but by default the new os leaves apps open. Old OS would make a cache if you didnt close it correctly but would not leave the app open unless you changed the options.

Yesterday was fun with this phone, worked 2 hours over time while my boss worked 5 hours over time as we got out shipment right before we closed and had people waiting all day for it.

CAPTAINNEO
11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

yea. my i760 is slow as hell. really makes me wish i kept my 700w.

ZX88
11-23-2008, 11:47 AM
anyone have this yet.

mRclARK1
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah. i was playing with the managers at the store near me. he had turned the phone to use the qwerty but it took a while. i laughed and after a little while he put it away and i asked if it had ever turned over. we all just laughed. it's pretty cool though. not too difficult to use. either way, mine is coming today supposedly before noon. i'll play with it and let you guys know what i think. i'm coming from the iphone and blackberry curve. so we'll see how this one goes.

You're already getting rid of your curve? haha... I get a phone I like I hold onto it.

neverrain
11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Logic?

Now I know you don't own anything apple.

I explicitly stated that I own an iTouch, MacBook Pro, and a (semi) broken Powerbook (hard drive failed, which is a known issue with them). I also use an iMac at work which I preferred over my PC. Did you miss this or do you need pics?

I forgot to update this thread on Friday, I just haven't really had a chance. I went to three Verizon stores on Friday, the day of release. Every store I went to was sold out. Every demo I saw was bad in some way. One was frozen, one was laggy as all hell, one wouldn't click the screen correctly. The rep tried to tell me that the software just needed to be updated to correct the lag issue, which is technically true, provided the update fixes the issue. Every Verizon phone I've owned has frozen at some point, some more than others. The thing that got me most though was the screen quality. When you press down on the screen it wiggles around, which seems cheap to me whether or not the screen NEEDS to do that to function as a clicking button. I asked the guy in store what happens if it breaks right after warranty and he told me that's what insurance is for. I've never had insurance on my phone as I do not lose them (never lost a phone ever), don't drop them or abuse them regularly, and have never had a need to replace a broken phone. After all the hype, I really wanted this phone. RIM just failed to deliver on the quality that I am used to seeing from them.

Also I heard Verizon was selling multiple units to corporate account in store which killed their stock for the cutomers who only wanted to purchase one. Thats kinda shady in my eyes. Corporate accounts should have been able to order early and receive larger shipments on the day of release.

IMO, the iPhone is still a better phone. But again, I'm not leaving Verizon to get one. So I guess I'll be waiting longer for a decent touch screen phone. That one posted above is pretty clean.

EDIT - Heh, that HTC Touch Diamond is $540 on Amazon for the AT&T version. Shit is hella clean though http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchdiamond/overview.html

C. Senor
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
You're already getting rid of your curve? haha... I get a phone I like I hold onto it.

yeah i got rid of it like 2 weeks ago. i have a krazer right now. but now after being told the phone would reach me before noon yesterday, i wont get it until after tuesday. kinda sucks. not the wait, but the run around crap. the phone's not even that great, but its half the price of the xv6800 or 6900 i forget the number, and i want touch screen back. haha.

SimpleS14
11-24-2008, 06:54 AM
The HTC Diamond wont be out til after the new year, expect the pro (keyboard model) to be out on the 1st of december.

Are you serious?!?!?

The pro is soo much better! :eek3d:

98s14inaz
11-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Despite what Daniel said.... I like the phone a lot. I got to play with one yesterday for three hours and loved it a lot, navigating is pretty easy and you wont mes up by accidentally clicking on something because you have to press into the screen a little bit for it to perform an action. The OS is a little laggy but there is an update expected to fix it this weekend.

I still have my LG dare and had it for the past 5 months, I find the keyboard on the Storm way better than iphone and my Dare.

Go play with one, some people love it and some people can careless.

VZW is getting a version of the bold, wont be out til next spring tho.

I dropped att for vzw and I live in one of the easiest cities for cell providers to do well in, phoenix arizona *aka desert*. had too many missed calls and drops in data coverage in the metro area so when I started working for VZW I switched 2 months into working and have no regrets.

Daniel, the final build is miles away from those beta builds you played with.

This phone is definately competition for iphone, hands down.

I used my upgrade, mine will be here this week.

MudRacer
11-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Are you serious?!?!?

The pro is soo much better! :eek3d:

I agree! and it came out today. The Touch Pro. But its listed at a ridiculous price of 349 after a $70 rebate.

They also dumbed it down as usual with no wifi. go figure.

I don't know when they plan to ship out my Storm. I called the store and they don't know when they will receive the tracking number. I was promised it would ship out on Tuesday at the latest. Lets see.

SoSideways
11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know man... so far, it just seems that for anything that's $299 or around there, nothing can really touch the iPhone as far as ease to use and the apps, and also the features (video player is sick, web browsing is very easy and intuitive, and the accelerometer works very well).

Not saying it doesn't have its flaws (the keyboard issue, the fact that it's with AT&T, etc), but it does seem to be the phone that does everything well at the moment, without too much complaint by anyone.

murda-c
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I enjoy using my friend's touch pro(sprint), i might be getting one.

It's alot easier to get third party software on than an iphone, or so i've been told.

MudRacer
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
WinMo phones are definitely much easier to get third party software for. I can say that without a problem, I have tons of applications, games etc for Windows mobile phones. They are easy to install, run in the background, and do more than you will ever need from your phone.

I'm also looking at the Touch Pro and if they don't ship this unit out by Tuesday I'm going to have them give me a better deal on purchasing the pro.

mRclARK1
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I enjoy using my friend's touch pro(sprint), i might be getting one.

It's alot easier to get third party software on than an iphone, or so i've been told.

Third party software for an iPhone is super easy.

C. Senor
11-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know when they plan to ship out my Storm. I called the store and they don't know when they will receive the tracking number. I was promised it would ship out on Tuesday at the latest. Lets see.

yeah. they told me i would have it saterday. then they told me tuesday. they also said i would get an email with a tracking number. but i havnt got shit yet. i'm actually getting kinda frustrated with them.

MudRacer
11-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Third party software for an iPhone is super easy.

Im sure it is for the price of lame. Winmo software is everywhere. But i dont wanna get into that right now.

I called the store today and they gave me the tracking number. It arrives tomorrow But I already put it on ebay...

C. Senor
11-26-2008, 01:44 AM
^lol.

i got mine today at 9. asked the lady is that my phone and she just laughed. lol.

the phone is pretty cool. the screen clicking thing isnt too bad. got used to it. and i dont really hear it anymore. the texting is some what difficult and will need some getting used to it. the internet though is kinda crappy. it's a bit tough to navigate and select crap. the camera is dope, the apps it comes with are dope, the graphics are good, and the gps thing is pretty damn good as well. the phone is clear, the speaker is great. after i get used to texting and the internet, and i figure out how to download my contacts and music, i think i may like it better than the iphone, and i loved that phone.

SoSideways
11-26-2008, 07:54 AM
I still haven't played with it yet.

Need to hit up Best Buy or something... I just don't want to because I'll leave there with like a CD or two and probably a DVD or something... don't really want to spend the money lol

C. Senor
11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
^just go to the store. the one i went to had like 3 on display for you to mess around with.

GabeS14
11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Patiently waited with my Verizon while everyone else got an iPhone, but I refused to leave Verizon for AT&Ts crappy service. Tomorrow is the day. =)

hmmm,.. who said you had to get ATT to get an iphone???
I have Iphone with T mobile..
my plan costs me less than $90 bucks with data package.

kandyflip445
11-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Word, got me the Blackberry Storm today. Freakin awesome. I'm still getting used to the touchscreen and all, but so far it's been great. The web browsing is pretty damn fast and all. The pre-loaded ringtones are kinda shitty though. lol

98s14inaz
11-30-2008, 05:58 AM
I've had mine for about a week now. Best phone I have ever owned, it delivers what was advertised....except for the lag, which is a known issue that will be dealt with when the software update becomes available.

What I can tell you is that there will be a blackberry app store in march. Blackberry/verizon are upping the ante and offering app designers 30% instead of the 20% being offered to design iphone apps(what my sources in verizon told me, I haven't verified this). This phone has lots of potential and once the bugs are worked out this will be a direct competitor with the iphone except with more functionality and better coverage.

98s14inaz
11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Os 4.7.0.75 Leak!!! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/os-4-7-0-75-leak-105593/)

Update leaked early.

kandyflip445
12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Don't have the newer OS or whatever yet. Still on the 4.7.0.65

I'll probably wait till they give the official release just cause I'm lazy.

Oh, and the ringtones is a not so great point, since I can load mp3's on the phone and use them as ringtones.

Yeah, yeah. I'm new to the nice phone thing. =P

98s14inaz
12-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Don't have the newer OS or whatever yet. Still on the 4.7.0.65

I'll probably wait till they give the official release just cause I'm lazy.

Oh, and the ringtones is a not so great point, since I can load mp3's on the phone and use them as ringtones.

Yeah, yeah. I'm new to the nice phone thing. =P

Yup, you can literally create your own and drap/drop them into the ring tone folder. You can also just pick an mp3 on your phone and use that as the ring tone. That crackberry site I had in that other link has some cool ringtones in mp3 format that are free. Enjoy.

CKAMC
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
i think i may not grab this phone... with all the nightmares i delt with this I may just get a omnia or a touch pro in a few months after i see how software unlocks produce on the two windows mobile phones... and play with a updated storm to see how it really fairs once all the bugs are fixed.

kandyflip445
12-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I just realized that I could download ALL of the old game songs in mp3 on my phone!

WIN!!!!!!!!!

neverrain
12-02-2008, 04:32 AM
hmmm,.. who said you had to get ATT to get an iphone???
I have Iphone with T mobile..
my plan costs me less than $90 bucks with data package.

GSM in general doesn't work as well as CDMA. T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint (and Nextel at the end), are all on GSM. Probably that new one too that is trying to undercut everyone with unlimted and family plans.

GSM is much better in Europe.

EDIT - Metro PCS

98s14inaz
12-02-2008, 07:47 AM
GSM in general doesn't work as well as CDMA. T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint (and Nextel at the end), are all on GSM. Probably that new one too that is trying to undercut everyone with unlimted and family plans.

GSM is much better in Europe.

EDIT - Metro PCS

Sprint isn't GSM. They are cdma.

neverrain
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Sprint isn't GSM. They are cdma.

I thought they went GSM when they took over Nextel. Been a while since I've worked int hat industry I guess. Oh well. Sprint still blows either way. When I had them I lost service whenever I went up a hill.