PDA

View Full Version : Faking accident injuries penalty?

S14Josh
11-18-2008, 07:42 PM
*Cliff-notes at the bottom of the post*

So about 2 years ago my brother was in a car accident outside of his work. Coincidentally the person he was in the accident with just so happened to be a kid who we knew when we were younger. Anyways a bunch of shit went down between this kid and my brother so now they don't like each other.

So this kid was trying to sue my brother for about 100k. Apparently, he was trying to sue my brother himself, and not his insurance company. Mind you the accident was a minor, minor accident at probably 5-10 mph. It could have been classified as a "fender bender".

We knew this kid was full of shit, and just trying to screw my brother over because we don't get along. We've seen pictures of him doing wheelies on his myspace, he worked doing heavy lifting, etc... but as soon as the claim was filed, his myspace was deleted.

Fast forward to today, we get a letter in the mail confirming this kid has been lying and an investigator actually saw this kid doing wheelies on his street bike and lifting well over 50 pounds on a daily basis.

He has been caught, now my question is what happens when someone is caught faking injuries from an accident? They have all the records from his MRI's and Xrays showing nothing was wrong with his back or neck.

Cliff-notes:
- Minor accident involving my brother and a kid we don't like
- Kid tries to sue for 100k saying his back and neck are fucked up
- Investigators find this kid faking the injuries
- We receive a letter stating he has been faking his injuries
- Now we are wondering what will happen

sirfallsalot243
11-18-2008, 07:47 PM
My mom does this for a living. Shes a Special Investigator for Chubb Insurance specializing in workmans compensation. Basically, she catches people doing exactly what you described.

Whats the penalty? The plain answer is... nothing. 99% of all of her cases, if she "wins," the insurance company can stop paying the claimant. That means, if she proves the person to be completely lying, collecting workers compensation for an injury that doesnt exist, that person's punishment is that they no longer receive that workers compensation. Rarely, she gets them fired. Even more rarely, prosecuted.

Its unfortunate that insurance fraud (or any fraud for that matter) comes with such a light penalty, and we all pay the price in premiums, but thats how it works. Virtually no penalty.

Even when her cases are reported to the police, they usually do nothing with it. So she stopped reporting it, and made it her goal to save her company as much money as possibly. Last year she saved them almost 2.1m.

touge monster
11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Is he a minor?

DOOK
11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
yeah, no penalty other than that person will lose their suit and no recieve compensation

Matej
11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Leave a bag of dog poop on his porch.

renegade_ewok
11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, the hard part here is going to be proving that the lawsuit which could have potentially happened caused any kind of trauma/injury/anguish that would warrant some monetary disbursement on his end - the question is, are you thinking about this as a civil suit on your end, or just in general any kind of penalties he could incur?

The state could bring him up for lying to investigators/falsified evidence, etc that whole shebang - but thats up to the state. You could talk to the district attorney and see if you can convince him to proceed with it if you have a vendetta. If he could prove malicious intent a.k.a. malicious prosecution then it definitely is viable in court... but good luck winning it :(

S14Josh
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Ah bummer, well thanks for the quick info!

I just really wanted to see some sort of karma served haha! Like throwing his ass in jail or something. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks guys

Agamemnon
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
The only way he could recieve punishment for lying is if he lied in court. Other than that, I second the bag of poop. Unless it's poo on a stick. That's street justice son!

OptionZero
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Hire a lawyer
Investigate a fraud suit.

Probably not enough there.

Andrew Bohan
11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
help him get a real injury

s13.5guy
11-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Leave a bag of dog poop on his porch.

On fire. You got to light it on fire man...:ssex:

s13silady
11-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Counter claim.

edit: i like bohan's suggestion too.

mrmephistopheles
11-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Google "insurance fraud".

DALAZ_68
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
id say wait for him to pop a wheelie and drop oil infront of his path, hell definately get hurt, and no compensation due to his lies, id say perfect end to a dumbass

CrimsonRockett
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Dropping oil in front of him and practically making him actually hurt himself wouldn't look good in front of a judge in court regardless of what he did/lied about.

Think about it Steve!

Haha.

SexPanda
11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
My mom does this for a living. Shes a Special Investigator for Chubb Insurance specializing in workmans compensation. Basically, she catches people doing exactly what you described.

lol.

That name... Just lol.