PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel vibration..help!

TurboSilvia7587
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
i've had this problem for about a month now, please help so i can start driving on the freeway again..

when i was driving on the freeway my steering wheel would shake violently right when it hit 65 mph and would keep on shaking until 75 mph then it would stop. If i floored it and got to like 85 mph i wouldnt feel anything until it would decelerrate to 75 mph and it would start shaking violently again. so these are the things i did to try to solve the problem:

1) Changed my inner and outer tie rods (stock ones were shot)

2) Got an alignment

3) New tires

4) Balanced my wheels (did it myself and they zero'd out perfectly)

5) Check the wheel hubs to see if there was any play and there was none

6) Tein tension rods

7) Made sure the bolt holding the steering wheel hub is tight and it is.
(FYI i have a boss hub, NRG slim quick release, and nardi wheel...if this has to do with anything)

what else could it be? I was thinking something with the steering rack, but im not sure. I wanna get your guys input before i take my car to the shop tomorrow. Help would be greatly appreciated.

wangan_cruiser
11-18-2008, 08:07 PM
check the bushing that connects between the rack and steering wheel.

Zerolift Autolab
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a bad tire -
Even if a wheel can balance out to "0" a tire can be the problem
Double check the tires for an inconsistency in the tread or spots
where the belt could be broken.
Good luck

oregondime
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
have you checked your ball joints? i had the same problem on my 510 and changed both of em out and now i hit 100 no problem.. also check your driveshaft u-joints.. vibrations can be carried from the back to the front all the way through the steering wheel. i blew my driveshaft out 1 time because i never checked the driveshaft bolts lol..

MR_X
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Sounds like a bad tire -
Even if a wheel can balance out to "0" a tire can be the problem
Double check the tires for an inconsistency in the tread or spots
where the belt could be broken.
Good luck

+1 try rotating the fronts to the rear and see if the problem changes from a vibrating steering wheel to a shaking in the seat.How did you zero them out? Did you check for runout in the wheel or tire? It could also be a bent wheel.

S14DB
11-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Did you throw it on one of those "teeter totters" with a bubble in the center or did you put it on a spin test machine? Dynamically balance?

I have to say a balance issue because it is only in a certain speed. Could also be tire taking a shit. Which wouldn't show up till you dynamically balance it under load.

Any worn suspension parts would get worse the faster you drive or the harder you turn. More Vibration, Float, Pull...

TurboSilvia7587
11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
+1 try rotating the fronts to the rear and see if the problem changes from a vibrating steering wheel to a shaking in the seat.How did you zero them out? Did you check for runout in the wheel or tire? It could also be a bent wheel.

i cant rotate...staggered fitment. And i did check for runout and bent wheels and nothing.

TurboSilvia7587
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Did you throw it on one of those "teeter totters" with a bubble in the center or did you put it on a spin test machine? Dynamically balance?

I have to say a balance issue because it is only in a certain speed. Could also be tire taking a shit. Which wouldn't show up till you dynamically balance it under load.

Any worn suspension parts would get worse the faster you drive or the harder you turn. More Vibration, Float, Pull...

i threw it on spin test machine and balanced it dynamically. Tires are brand new.

MR_X
11-19-2008, 12:42 PM
i cant rotate...staggered fitment. And i did check for runout and bent wheels and nothing.

Can you borrow someone else's wheel? Throw them on an see if the problem continues. Or, if you're front's fit on the rear, and the rear fit the front, swap them; all you need to do is test them at 75 mph.

TurboSilvia7587
11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Can you borrow someone else's wheel? Throw them on an see if the problem continues. Or, if you're front's fit on the rear, and the rear fit the front, swap them; all you need to do is test them at 75 mph.

thanks..ill check that out.

but can the steering rack bushings be a possibility?

macidcrook
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
check your calipers sticking one or slow returning one can cause that. sorry its late