PDA

View Full Version : Please use dynamat

Natty
02-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Most people in college can relate to this.
It seems that there are two things people do to "gehtto-fy" cars.

First off is the 20" chrome wheels on a $1500 car, but that doesn't really bother me that much.

What does **** me off is people with the above mentioned or similar cars dropping in a "custom system" and screwing it up. I swear, everyone of them rattles louder than the bass hits. Why would do skimp on the dynamat? I can't imagine how it sounds inside.

Jeff

hookedup240
02-05-2003, 05:46 PM
well i would have to say that some cars do get ripped apart by the bass after a while, my friend has a 90 accord with a 2500 watt system and his trunk rattles so bad when you are next to it but you really can't hear it inside at all. But the reason people really don't get dynamat is that its pretty damn expensive, my friend has gotten quotes to do just his trunk for like 250-300 which is alot considering it only adds like .5-1 db more to the bass.

But i totally agree with you Jeff the rattling is horrible

toddnappi
02-08-2003, 08:57 PM
every morning before school we stand in the parking lot and make fun of all the cars with trunk rattle... it probably would be worth the $300 considering the system was probably in the $2k zone...

what ****es me off the most is how everything is "custom" nowadays. "custom system" "custom exhaust" yeah right.

you could be like me and have a measley 100w sub and not have to worry about bump at all... just smooth bass.

KiDyNomiTe
02-08-2003, 09:19 PM
I see no point in making your system so loud to the point you can't hear yourself, or you feel your throat shaking. One it attracts police attention, and two you can't hear important noises like the ambulance/police/fire truck, you can't hear your car, and you can't hear peoples horns.

A good sound system to me is if I can feel a the bass inside my car, I don't care to let my neighborhood here the bass in my music, but for me to feel the bass only. I like my computers sub, and its small, so when the time comes imma get someting small.

And what is with this I here about hatchbacks have better sound with subs, what is the reasoning behind this?

240racer
02-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by toddnappi

what ****es me off the most is how everything is "custom" nowadays. "custom system" "custom exhaust" yeah right.

I have a custom system as well as custom exhaust and I don't see why it's a bad thing?

boston 6.5" rally components in doors
custom stainless turbo header/manifold
custom 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler

all done by your's truely

saga240
02-09-2003, 01:30 AM
i dynamatted my car.. theres still some rattles.. but oh well.. still sounds beautiful so i dont care..

oh well sometimes i just dont like subs in a hatch.. gives it a very hollow sound to it.. so my trunk thing works fine for now.. maybe ill go back to how i used to have it, no rear speakers..

now that was a very good mod.. :p

s14 RL
02-09-2003, 03:00 AM
Dynamat = extra weight = blahhhhhhh

toddnappi
02-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 240racer
I have a custom system as well as custom exhaust and I don't see why it's a bad thing?

boston 6.5" rally components in doors
custom stainless turbo header/manifold
custom 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler

all done by your's truely

That I could consider custom, but I mean people buy components and stick them together and magically "it's custom." It is an overused term.

And for dynamat adding weight? Like a sub is not weight? Audio adds so much weight to your car.

the head
02-09-2003, 02:07 PM
everyone loves the midgit trying to get out of the trunk sound of a poorly done system:D :D

as far as boxes in hatch vs boxes in trunk
two 10" phoenix golds getting about 500 RMS in z24 cavi hit a little over 142Db with one of the subs having a seperated surround plus it sounds excellent

s14 RL
02-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by toddnappi
And for dynamat adding weight? Like a sub is not weight? Audio adds so much weight to your car.

Well a sub can be removed for track events, etc...I'm assuming dynamat is not something that is easily removed.

Sundi240
02-10-2003, 02:38 AM
I used to have a system in my car. It's an 86 Lude w/ trunk. I had a fairly loud system (little over 140db's) and I did dynomat the trunk.
Let me just say that some cars are not good candidates for sound systems. My whole rear tailight housing was flexing in and out approximately 1.5 inches literally. No amount of Dynomat can fix that....

ralphyboy
02-10-2003, 08:59 AM
As far as the sub in the trunk vs hatch thing the wavelength of the sound wave of a subwoofer is unbeleivable long, a hatch does not cut that as short as a trunk does. Either way you work with what you have.

Phlip
02-13-2003, 07:19 PM
I had an 85 Carolla hatchback a couple of years ago with 2 audiobahn 12s in it, terribly under amplified and they gave off a sound better than anything I have had in anything since... The bass wasn't so bad you couldn't stand to be in the car, and it got the attention of the ladies when I rolled thru... I miss that car, I want to buy it back from the guy I sold it too.

whateverjames
02-13-2003, 10:28 PM
my cousin actually likes the rattling sound (not on my car). he says it makes the subs seem louder than what they really are. i guess he's a ricer, in the car audio world. :o

ktom49
02-14-2003, 10:55 AM
I got a big roll (62.5 sq ft) of stuff called Raamat from http://www.raamaudio.com/ for $90 including shipping. I just put 2 layers on the hatch of my 1995 ford explorer and it reduced the rattles by abou 75%. The other rattles are coming from the doors, so that's the next project. And 62.5 feet of dynamat would have costed like $400 so i figured i'd go ahead and try the off brand. It worked wonders.

dave240sx
02-14-2003, 11:31 PM
In my hb I've only got a 150 watt amp and sounds awsome(well before it got stollen). I got complements on it by people that rode with me a cuple times. You can't tell I have a sub in the trunk with the sound all the way up, but once you get in the car it's like wooo! everything is crystal clear. It's so awsome.

I alway's want to tell people with rattling trunks and **** that they wasted their money on something that sounds like something that came out of my ass! But I think I would get my ass kicked for that.

-Dave-

dave240sx
02-14-2003, 11:31 PM
In my hb I've only got a 150 watt amp and sounds awsome(well before it got stollen). I got complements on it by people that rode with me a cuple times. You can't tell I have a sub in the trunk with the sound all the way up, but once you get in the car it's like wooo! everything is crystal clear. It's so awsome.

I alway's want to tell people with rattling trunks and **** that they wasted their money on something that sounds like something that came out of my ass! But I think I would get my ass kicked for that.

-Dave-

Apparition
02-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Wait till you see when the bass hits, and a huge chunk of rust falls off the car. You'll never see anything more funny in your life.

kandyflip445
02-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Apparition
Wait till you see when the bass hits, and a huge chunk of rust falls off the car. You'll never see anything more funny in your life.

Try a whole bumper. I've seen some guy that just got a system in his car....he turned it up pretty loud and his bumper fell off!!!:D I think he didn't have it on well in the first place. It was part of a body kit.