PDA

View Full Version : stance coilover problem

beems240sx
11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
im normally on NICO but i really need some help here! please helpme!! i got them all installed. i got to use air tools in a heated garage. all 4 corners are set a little higher than what i want, but thats because it started snowing here today the ONLY problem and a pretty serious one i have is this horrible continuous clunking sound when i turn. it sounds similar to this, but only when i turn and not as much
YouTube - HKS Suspension Noise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kLx_xeOIs)

any help? i tried adjusting the tension on the spring. i tried it with the spring looser and with it tighter, both yielded the same noise. i was then going to torque the nut on top of the coilover, but the whole nut and body turned when i tried to do so. only my right front makes the noise... PLEASE HELP ME!! i do not feel safe driving like this

mobilesuit818
11-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Are they new?
Sounds like you camber plates bearing has gone to hell.

Try taking the suspension off and see if you can swivel your plates.

If they move easily, then your bearings are gone.

GL

pink godzila
11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Call your supplyer and ask them to order a new camber plate for you.

Should be FREE replacement, if they charge you then call Stance.

worangejuice
11-16-2008, 11:23 PM
read through this (http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/140603-coilovers-not-rotating-camber-plate.html)
I had the same issue. surprised you got this too. Stance was supposed to have fixed this. It was an issue with the camber plate pillowball not rotating. I contacted enjuku racing where i ordered them from and got some shipped out in a couple days, then the clunking went away. easy fix, but just a pita.

beems240sx
11-17-2008, 06:19 AM
read through this (http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/140603-coilovers-not-rotating-camber-plate.html)
I had the same issue. surprised you got this too. Stance was supposed to have fixed this. It was an issue with the camber plate pillowball not rotating. I contacted enjuku racing where i ordered them from and got some shipped out in a couple days, then the clunking went away. easy fix, but just a pita.

ok thanks ill read through that after school today. they are brand new to

JoHn E
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
how long have u had them on?

i got mine installed recently and i got the spring clunk noise too.

if my car was parked and i turned the wheel all the way to either the left or the right I would hear my front springs clunk

but i waited about a week and the noise went away on its own

Munch
11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Hah...i didnt know people were still having problems with this...

No1_Special
11-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, I don't mean to thread jack, but is this a common problem with coilovers? I recently purchased another s14 and the previous owner recently installed a set of Greddy RS coilovers on it. I was easy on it when I got it home and all was fine, but I installed an lsd the other day and was screwing around in the parking lot at my work and now I have a terrible "clunk" in my front drivers side suspension. I didn't hit anything or drop off into any potholes, but it now makes that noise every time I go over a bump. The previous owner installed a full poly bushing kit and I've been over the front suspension at least a dozen times so far and can't find anything. It sounds like the coilover is lifting out of the strut tower and setting back down, but the 3 top bolts are torqued down and I can't find a blown bushing, but haven't checked the camber plate bushing. I have a set of Tein Flex on my other s14 and I've beat the crap out of those and never had a problem. So, long story short, is that likely my problem? Blown camber plate bushing? Does Greddy warranty that? Thanks very much.

-Josh

southerncross
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
sounds like camber plate bushing problem to me. i just bought some used stance coilovers and havent had this problem yet, but should be simple enough to fix. if theyre new id be raising hell about it.

this is NOT a common problem with coilovers that function correctly. that clunk you hear is the spring grinding against the upper mount. its supposed to turn with the steering, but if they bearing is fudged it wont, and it binds, making that wonderful clunk you refer to. i have done budget coilovers on an s13 before and had no upper strut bearing, and used industrial stainless washers in place of them. . . not recommended for street cars, and its a jank way to do things, but back in '98. . .

chibo
11-20-2008, 11:02 PM
My GR+ Pros also do this, I thought it was the tension rods at first but after throwing PBM rods on it didn't fix the problem. Annoying as shit.

ochocinco666
11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
mine did this clunking sound too. not as bad as in the video on youtube there. it just turned out that the spring was wet and it was just rotating when i turned. it only happened once and that was when it rained out. its all good now

No1_Special
11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies from everyone. I removed my coilover and tightened the top nut and retightened the collars and the noise is gone. I hope it doesn't come back, but it's soo much better. Thanks again.

-Josh

beems240sx
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
just letting everyone know. i called scott at stance today. im bringing my car to touge factory and they are replacing the coilover! so i hope no one bashes on stance, they are a great company and their customer service is A++