PDA

View Full Version : People with computer knowledge, please read.

SixSpeedSleuth
11-08-2008, 06:33 PM
So, It's that time again to build another computer. My budget is $1,000 to $1200 strictly for hardware only. I have about $600 alloted for a new monitor, keyboard and mouse. So, I'll spend up to $2k if need be.

The main objective for this PC will be to Run Crysis, Far Cry 2, ect damn good, and be fast as fuck on the internet, running software, windows vista 64x, ect. Any suggestions as far as motherboard, processor, ect??

Matej
11-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Unless you're seriously set on this, building a new pc is not really worth it anymore. For 2K$ you can buy a complete system with specs that would rival those of a setup built for 3K$.
If you have 2K$ to spend, look up all the hardware online and add up the cost of everything you'd buy. Then go to Best Buy and compare specs and prices.

driven_
11-08-2008, 07:01 PM
that wont be 1337 enough.

wait til the 6 core processor comes out. LOL.
it'll be so ub3r.

drftmark
11-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Quad core is pretty cheap now, you might as well go with that over duel core.

Buy from newegg.

I helped my roomate build his computer and he went with a Asus P5Q-E mobo with a Q6600 processor. Also with a 9800 GX2 video card. And of course you could just buy the next up from him if you have the money.

His computer runs games with no problems at all with video settings on max etc.

I can't remember what RAM he got but last I read ddr3 is still sort of prototypey. Just do some research on the RAM.

drftmark
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I would like to add that I do not agree building a PC isn't worth it anymore. It is DEFINITELY worth it. Going to Best Buy to compare specs isn't very accurate. Best Buy or anywhere else will just say "4gb of ram." They provide no brand name, timing values, etc etc. Not to mention that you get a warranty on each part(if you build one) without having to send the whole computer off or anything like that.

With any computer you buy, you have to deal with all the bullshit of everything being compatible with each other and you can't just upgrade whenever you want if you feel it is going to slow for your needs or w/e.

SixSpeedSleuth
11-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Quad core is pretty cheap now, you might as well go with that over duel core.

Buy from newegg.

I helped my roomate build his computer and he went with a Asus P5Q-E mobo with a Q6600 processor. Also with a 9800 GX2 video card. And of course you could just buy the next up from him if you have the money.

His computer runs games with no problems at all with video settings on max etc.

I can't remember what RAM he got but last I read ddr3 is still sort of prototypey. Just do some research on the RAM.

It's funny you mention newegg because I was just on that site looking around. How do these processors fit my needs?
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041)

I apologize if I seem ignorant regarding specs, but I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between dual core/quad core, ect. Thanks for everybodys help so far.

Matej
11-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I would like to add that I do not agree building a PC isn't worth it anymore. It is DEFINITELY worth it. Going to Best Buy to compare specs isn't very accurate. Best Buy or anywhere else will just say "4gb of ram." They provide no brand name, timing values, etc etc. Not to mention that you get a warranty on each part(if you build one) without having to send the whole computer off or anything like that.

With any computer you buy, you have to deal with all the bullshit of everything being compatible with each other and you can't just upgrade whenever you want if you feel it is going to slow for your needs or w/e.
It's not hard to look up what memory or any other components companies use in their systems.
I was going to build a system last winter, the added up cost would've been a little over 3K$. Then, before I was about to start ordering everything, I visited all of the computer stores, and decided it's not worth it to build my own, and ended up buying a system that actually by far exceeds the specs I was aiming for, while it cost over 1K$ less.
And why wouldn't you be able to upgrade a bought system? I've just added a third hdd recently. It's a pc, you can upgrade every single component when you want to, it's not like they encase it in concrete to keep you from opening it up. If you're talking about voiding the warranty, most of the components that people like to upgrade usually have a separate warranty. But I can care less about warranty anyway, if something goes bad I'd rather upgrade it with a newer more powerful component, not the same part.

drftmark
11-08-2008, 08:58 PM
It's funny you mention newegg because I was just on that site looking around. How do these processors fit my needs?
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041)

I apologize if I seem ignorant regarding specs, but I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between dual core/quad core, ect. Thanks for everybodys help so far.

Ya, you could use all of those, it just all depends on your budget. In fact, I still have my roomates build setup saved, so if you want you can PM and I will link you to it. We built it around 6 weeks ago also.

And about the guy saying he was making a build for 3k in the winter, buying one is better etc... That has never been the case with any computers I have seen in any of the local chain electronic stores.

lflkajfj12123
11-09-2008, 12:34 AM
macbook or bust

DataXUnknown
11-09-2008, 01:25 AM
built my PC for $500 and it runs crisis perfect on full graphics. running a dual core amd processor 5600+ only 1 gig of ram right now.

I wouldn't spend that much money on a setup only because you will have so much extra unused memory and such it's just not needed unless your going to be having multiple development programs and games running at the same time with like 3 moniters and such.

SoguRacing
11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
OVERCLOCK

msg

GSXRJJordan
11-09-2008, 02:38 AM
I recently (this past summer) built myself a new rig:
*Quad Core Q9300 (1333MHz FSB, 2.5GHz x4, newest shit)
*MSI P35 Platinum Duo - if I did it again, I'd go P45 probably. X48 boards cost too much, and I dont care about SLI.
*4GB Patriot DDR3 7-7-7-20
*750GB Seagate HDD
*Radeon 4850

It kills all - spent like $900, but already had case/power supply/keyboard/mouse/etc. Shop @ Mwave because I can pick everything up.

Anomas23
11-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Unless you're seriously set on this, building a new pc is not really worth it anymore. For 2K$ you can buy a complete system with specs that would rival those of a setup built for 3K$.
If you have 2K$ to spend, look up all the hardware online and add up the cost of everything you'd buy. Then go to Best Buy and compare specs and prices.

he's right, most of the PC parts now are bought out by major compainies and use for retail. just go Dell or HP.

GSXRJJordan
11-09-2008, 12:07 PM
he's right, most of the PC parts now are bought out by major compainies and use for retail. just go Dell or HP.

Problem with that is upgradability, and video card choices. They usually skimp on video cards until you get "up there" in the power.

And you always have problems if you try to upgrade, because they use proprietary mobos, cases, sometimes even power supplies.

Not saying you shouldn't look into it, just that I've always found I could do it cheaper/better/cleaner.

drftmark
11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
^agreed.

msg

neverrain
11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
built my PC for $500 and it runs crisis perfect on full graphics. running a dual core amd processor 5600+ only 1 gig of ram right now.

I wouldn't spend that much money on a setup only because you will have so much extra unused memory and such it's just not needed unless your going to be having multiple development programs and games running at the same time with like 3 moniters and such.

I call bullshit on the $500 thing. I want to see full specs because there is no way you have a computer you built for $500 that is running Crysis perfectly, unless you are running something stupid low like 640x480 or 800x600. When you say running Crysis perfectly you need to specify this because when I see someone say they run Crysis perfectly I assume 1920x1200 and max graphic settings. The video card setup alone would cost you this much. I spent about $2200 on my setup and I still got slight lag when running Crysis at max resolution, and that was with a single 8800 gtx unOCd (a $400 video card when I bought it). I'm not even sure dual gts's would be able to handle Crysis at max res without any lag.

Also, stay away from AMDs right now. Intel is owning the market right now for processing and good quad cores are becoming very affordable. The Q6600 linked above is a great processor and if you feel up to it you can OC it to 3Ghz+. If you go with a Q6600, buy an aftermarket fan for it. The stock fan on these blow. If you want I can dig you up a link to the fan I bought with mine.

If you build the system yourself, make sure you have compatible RAM (ddr3 is still very expensive, ddr2 is sufficient unless you want top of the line everything, which apparently you don't judging your budget for the build). Memory brands can be debated all day, just do research and make the choice yourself. I put 4Gb into mine even though I am running win XP32 (32 bit xp will only recognize ~2.5Gb of RAM, which is why I am guessing you say you want to go 64 bit. I put the extra in for future a future OS upgrade, but have put it off because...well..you know, Vista blows.). Is the software included in your budget?

Make sure you don't underestimate your power supply and that it can provide enough power to your hardware. This will depend greatly on what hardware you buy and you tend to get what you pay for here.

A good hard drive makes a big difference too. I'm not saying go solid state (i wish), but something higher that a 7200RPM helps a bunch with gaming. I went with a Raptor (Western Digital) which is a 10k RPM drive, 150Gb for ~$175 (looks like they have a 300Gb Raptor now for $270, which I might end up buying). I have had no problems at all and the drive is preforming as good as the day I bought it. Still quick, snappy, and consistent.

Gaming computers tend to run a bit hot. make sure you buy a case with good cooling. I bought an Antec 900 which I got for sale at the time for i think 90 bucks (which is a good deal). Others will argue case selection, but the important point is to not cheap out and buy some crap case with shitty cooling potential. I got this shipped for free from NewEgg and the box is massive.

Two more things:

The $600 you set aside for monitor/keyboard/mouse. Do you know what size you want monitor to be? Costco is/was selling a 24" Samsung widescreen for $400 that I bought when I put my system together. It supports up to 1920x1200 (i run nothing less), had excellent reviews, and no dead pixel issues at all. With the remaining $200 you can buy a high end mouse for gaming (I bought a Lachesis, look it up) from Best Buy and a Merc Pro Gaming Keyboard (has a lefthand controller type setup on the left side of the keyboard which is great for gaming once you get used to it. All fully programmable (though I havent had to yet).

Lastly, NewEgg is definately your friend here. I pieced together 90% of my system buying from NewEgg and had no issues whatsoever with them at all. They always ship extrememly fast and usually don't charge for shipping (or it's really really cheap) on most of their products. Their website also provides customer reviews, which is a big help when trying to decide on what to buy. When pricing against other website make sure you keep shipping in mind. In literally every case I checked where I found a price cheaper than NewEgg, NewEgg almost always came out cheaper after shipping, which is what really counts.

Phew. Good Luck. Fell free to PM me if you need help with other things or suggestions on other parts.

PS - I also disagree with buying a premade system. Its like buying a prebuilt car. You have no idea what went into it in terms of quality and shortcuts. Besides, it's better if you know how to work on your own computer. Prebuilt computers are for nubs.

Matej
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Problem with that is upgradability, and video card choices. They usually skimp on video cards until you get "up there" in the power.

And you always have problems if you try to upgrade, because they use proprietary mobos, cases, sometimes even power supplies.

Not saying you shouldn't look into it, just that I've always found I could do it cheaper/better/cleaner.
You have to look into what you're getting of course.

It sounds like you might be talking about Dell, I know they like to do that with their computers, or at least used to. I've never experienced that with HP or Alienware.

What was really cool is that Best Buy let me open up the case in store, so I could check out the power supply, gpu, motherboard, ram, and everything.

The HP I got came with a pretty sweet GeForce when I bought it around this time last year. It wasn't the absolute top of the line, but it was still pretty high up there, and to this day I can run any new game without problems, plus what's awesome is that I can watch tv on my pc, even record shows and movies, now I'm always watching cable in the corner of the screen while browsing the web, an option that the Radeon I was planning to buy didn't have. Plus I was able to get a 22" monitor instead of the 20" I was going to settle for with my budget.

The case is also better with more room for expansion and a nicer cooling setup. The power supply was one of my main concerns since nowadays most gpu's require a lot of power, some even a secondary power supply, and decent power supplies aren't cheap. To my surprise the HP actually has a more powerful supply than what I was going to go with. The case and the power supply are actually where I probably saved the most money. So basically I got more than I wanted/needed, and it cost me less.

That's why, from the best performance for you money standpoint, I don't really see the point of building your own pc, unless you already have some of the major components laying around, or want to be build something really crazy.

neverrain
11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
You have to look into what you're getting of course.

It sounds like you might be talking about Dell, I know they like to do that with their computers, or at least used to. I've never experienced that with HP or Alienware.

What was really cool is that Best Buy let me open up the case in store, so I could check out the power supply, gpu, motherboard, ram, and everything.

The HP I got came with a pretty sweet GeForce when I bought it around this time last year. It wasn't the absolute top of the line, but it was still pretty high up there, and to this day I can run any new game without problems, plus what's awesome is that I can watch tv on my pc, even record shows and movies, now I'm always watching cable in the corner of the screen while browsing the web, an option that the Radeon I was planning to buy didn't have. Plus I was able to get a 22" monitor instead of the 20" I was going to settle for with my budget.

The case is also better with more room for expansion and a nicer cooling setup. The power supply was one of my main concerns since nowadays most gpu's require a lot of power, some even a secondary power supply, and decent power supplies aren't cheap. To my surprise the HP actually has a more powerful supply than what I was going to go with. The case and the power supply are actually where I probably saved the most money. So basically I got more than I wanted/needed, and it cost me less.

That's why, from the best performance for you money standpoint, I don't really see the point of building your own pc, unless you already have some of the major components laying around, or want to be build something really crazy.

Yea, but what do you use this computer for? If it is only for cruising the net and watching tv in the corner of your screen you don't need a powerful computer to do this. I can go buy a TV tuner for my computer for what, $100, and watch TV in the corner WHILE I play my games at 1920x1200 resolution if I wanted (but i wouldn't i sit right next to a high def TV in my room when im playing). The OP wanted a computer that will run Crysis. There are very few premade computers that can run this game correctly, unless of course you buy an extremely overpriced Alienware, which I would call anyone stupid for doing nowadays.

Also, commenting on your expandability comment earlier, you mentioned that the cases aren't sealed with cement. I had an old Compaq (old) that was literally impossible to get the case open on. I went over that damn thing every way possible and could not get the case open for my life, and eventually ended up breaking the case open because the computer fried itself and I wanted the hard drive out of it to retrieve files. If I needed to get in there for some other reason and the computer was out of warranty I would be stuck with a broken case, or rebuilding the computer in a new one.

Matej
11-09-2008, 07:18 PM
It's mostly used for editing video & playing games.

The case doesn't even have bolts holding the main panel on, you just twist one knob and pull the side off.

Don't get me wrong, a few years ago I would've been all for building my own pc. I still love upgrading and customizing them, and if money was no object of course I'd rather build my own.

neverrain
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
It's mostly used for editing video & playing games.

The case doesn't even have bolts, it just slides off.

Yea, well hopefully they finally got smart about making the hardware accessible.

goldee240
11-17-2008, 01:34 AM
computers are cheap now days i set mine up for 500$ 2 months ago that's with everything its a dual core a64 5200 grab stuff on black friday

napaKAliboog
11-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Build a custom computer before silicon runs out. BTW i'm building a custom compaq presario. x2 ddr2 2GB patriot. 1TB hd. 2 coolmaster fans custom mounted on stock compaq case! air is also ducted through right vents closed off unneccary vents from inside. now all i need is a good video card, and sound. Then overclock! I only spent 600$ for the whole thing so far!