PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a mechanic for a living?

Mangudai
10-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I want to go to school next year for mechanics at a local college and get my ASE. I also want to call around and see if I can be an apprentice of sorts at a garage. If you had to give advice to someone who was just getting into it what would it be?

womenbeshoppin
10-31-2008, 06:18 PM
righty tighty, lefty loosey

HyperTek
10-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Ive had friends who got into mechanics, didnt go to school, and no tools/not much knowledge.. they just get jobs helping out at small garages and pick it up quick, spend their pay checks on tools then eventually get good/quick at tearing stuff down..... tho they do work under the table.. they make a decent ammount for early 20 year olds.. Then i got a friend who went to school and now works at a dealership, whats ironic is i remember this friend didnt know much back in the day.. hes paying off loans.

It depends how much you put into it... I kinda bummed off but i think if i woulda took the same route and worked at some shop i would be ok. Your experience at reputable shops looks just as good on your resume, then i hear you can just take the ASE exams and be on your way.

yokotas13
10-31-2008, 06:59 PM
i do it
sucks, i wrench on planes all day, and when i get home i dont want to work on my own car. Its no fun at all.

nu_born
10-31-2008, 07:44 PM
for sure...i work for a Nissan dealer at the moment and in all honesty, i'd say stay away at this point...with the way the economy is right now, you won't make much working for a dealer, this is a blue collar field and 100% of your income is dependent on how well everyone else is doing...if you're gonna do it, work for a sears or merchants or something where you'll get paid some kinda salary +commission, so you're not scraping by...

LongGrain
10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
i work at a toyota dealership

its ok for a summer job while i am in college, but FUCK doing this as a career. i feel sorry for anyone going to school to become a mechanic just because they like doing it as a hobby....

Naughty240
10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Working on cars is fun but gets old quick. After doing auto body for 9 years Im trying to get the F out. Most good techs are flat rate and right now they are hurting. I know I was. some weeks you do 80-100 hours then 50 the next week. Feast or famine in that buisness. Tools are mad money plus you are going to school.

LongGrain
10-31-2008, 08:05 PM
^^ word, a lot of our techs are getting screwed. there isnt any work for them to do so they are just working on their own cars at work.

jrocslider
10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
i do it
sucks, i wrench on planes all day, and when i get home i dont want to work on my own car. Its no fun at all.

same thing here

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s191/jrocslider/c17.jpg

J-Team
10-31-2008, 08:26 PM
I work at longo =/
hate the toyotas tho, once in a while some supras and celicas will roll in tho

being a mechanic aint no hands across america yadadamean?

SexPanda
10-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Im a mechanic on ft leonard wood. I love working on cars, its what I'm good at, and I enjoy it...

However, I would not want to make it my career. I'd like to be an engineer or something. Maybe design the cars that I work on. Basically, for me, be prepared to get yelled at if you become a mechanic. The line of work I am in, and eventually you, you will realize people can never be satisfied. You could make a car that hasn't ran in 10 years run great for free, and the person will complain that it doesnt get the same gas milage as it did 10 years ago.

LongGrain
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I work at longo =/
hate the toyotas tho, once in a while some supras and celicas will roll in tho

being a mechanic aint no hands across america yadadamean?

your crazy

toyotas are the EASIEST, i'm so glad i dont work at honda or nissan, they suck to work on..

J-Team
10-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I hate toyotas in general, they = boring me.......

Naughty240
10-31-2008, 09:20 PM
I guess all techs across the country are hurting. In general car techs get screwed. No pensions, heath care sucks and your exposed to bad air either way, people are idiots who typically work there, tools are mad money, they burn you on book times cause insurance company's are cheap.

Yet we do it anyhow lol.

TheWolf
10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
being a mechanic is good if you get paid hourly... not by job hours... or at a dealership.. because service managers know what takes 3 hours to do and bills for 6... and what takes 6 hours to do and bills for 3... guess which jobs you get assigned as FNG. It gets real old real quick. Yes there are people that make good money at it. There are people that make serious bank with it. There are also about 10 other mechanics in that shop that don't. Sure you can goto school. Tough it out through the bmw, mb or porsche programs which take like 1% of the tools that goto school. Then when you graduate BMW or whoever says. OK we need an aprentice tech in Flagstaff, AZ. When can you be there? Well if you live on the east coast that might be an issue. Sure you'll make 60k or so but you'll take a 50k bath right now to sell your house and what if you don't want to live there. Sure the money's there but it definitly doesn't work if you've got family ties and a house.

fcdrifter20
10-31-2008, 09:41 PM
honselty look into a differnt career bro. right now must of us r starving man.if ur a mechanic and work for someone else, no mater wut u get boned with the work to cash ratio.dealers r all struggling, and with the way this economy is goin it aint gettin bettr for us mechanics anytime soon. so try to find another career. working on cars is fun but when ur doing it 10 to 12 hours a day and still geting shit pay, it gets old real fast dude.

punk138
10-31-2008, 10:14 PM
^^^ exactly what i told my brother, but he still decided to go to uti. so far he likes it a lot. but i bet he wont like paying the bill...

seanc
10-31-2008, 10:27 PM
i am a flat rate tech, and not to boast but cars keeping rolling in and so do the hours. 50-75 flat rate hours a week, at $25+ an hour = decent pay for doing what i love. when i get off work i go home and do on the side. gotta be REALLLY good at multi-tasking and memorizing things. once you know all the shortcuts your set. driveablity is where its at. thats what i do. and alignments. brakes, suspension and that shit doesnt pay enough.

ZilviaKid
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
i was 2 years into my pprenticeship and dropped it. Its a shitty job with way too much drama for me. everyone complains all the time, not one person is ever happy with something. Either the customer is pissed cause it cost so much, the service advisor is pissed cause they couldnt sell more, or the tech is pissed because they only made 2 hours on a 5 hour job.

so glad im done with it. leaving was the best choice i ever made..

Stoichiometric
10-31-2008, 11:47 PM
I want to go to school next year for mechanics at a local college and get my ASE. I also want to call around and see if I can be an apprentice of sorts at a garage. If you had to give advice to someone who was just getting into it what would it be?

Being a mechanic physically demanding. As I am getting older, my hand freaking cramps. I love to work on cars but I cannot see myself doing it for a living.

I am a mechanic but a weekend mechanic and I like to keep it that way.
Working on people's cars doesn't have an appeal for me. I like to work on my own car and I put more love into it.

It's like working at Pizzahut, it's good for a bit and get to eat pizza, but eventually you'll get sick of Pizza and the smell of it.

I would be a mechanic if the pay is astronomical, but this will only happen if you go into a higher paying sector.

Go into Engineer, Technology, and computer science, you have more diversity and the pay is better, as well as you will have a degree that is more valueable. In addition, you can still be a mechanic after, if you'd like.

brndck
11-01-2008, 03:19 AM
I quit being an auto tech for a living at the beginning of 08. The pay was decent (flat rate, a good week I'd bring home about 700, bad week 500) but I was sick of working 6 days a week 8 to 6. I did it for 6 years, and I'm damn glad I did. I learned to diagnose and repair every problem I've had in the last 6 years, been able to save myself and my familĂ˝ thousands in repair and service costs, and all of my tools, although expensive, have been tax writeoffs.

Stoichiometric
11-01-2008, 03:39 AM
I quit being an auto tech for a living at the beginning of 08. The pay was decent (flat rate, a good week I'd bring home about 700, bad week 500) but I was sick of working 6 days a week 8 to 6. I did it for 6 years, and I'm damn glad I did. I learned to diagnose and repair every problem I've had in the last 6 years, been able to save myself and my familý thousands in repair and service costs, and all of my tools, although expensive, have been tax writeoffs.

LoL, that is so true. Everyone asks you to help them with their car once they know you know a little about cars. I saved 2 engines and helped a lot of people.

But I was sick of it. My hands hurt now a days, I guess I have arthritis, but I am only 24 years old. WTF~ The motions of turning and squeezing a ractched and vise grip daily has messed up my right hand.

I just like that fact that I've acquired all the tools. Snap Ons, Craftsman, and all the necessary tools. I love tools. If there is any problems with my car, I would know what to do and have all the right tools to do it with.

"I never even touch my car or any install without having the proper tools. If someone asked me to help them install something, and if I don't have the correct tool, I just walk away. I take my time and if I am going to do a job, it has to be done correctly or it's not worth doing (not on my own car anyway)."

That's what I learned being a Mechanic. "READ, RESEARCH, and REVIEW the information before you start."

soreballz
11-01-2008, 05:19 AM
DON'T DO IT! You'll regret it later. I have several friends that went to school for that shit, got several of their ASE's, and started working at dealerships... Less than 3 years later, they all already want to go back to school and get real degrees for REAL careers that suck balls.

And these are guys that grew up wrenching on cars since the age of 5. REAL car guys. And they hate it now.

Don't make your hobby into your career.

your crazy

toyotas are the EASIEST, i'm so glad i dont work at honda or nissan, they suck to work on..
Newer Hondas are easier to work on than newer Toyotas. More parts are interchangeable, and Hondas are much less complicated.

apex
11-01-2008, 07:38 AM
my cuzin went to wyotech for car and diesel mechanic went to
work at honda for a year now hes a poker dealer sold his box and
now pays to send his car in for work wont touch them

he got lucky tho his grandma has money so she paid the 25g's for
his school that for the school,room and sum other stuff

Naughty240
11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
So what career our us techs gonna flock to now? Computers? Im not excited about sitting in a cubical but it does have AC and heat.

Mangudai
11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
This isnt even close to the kind of replies I thought I was going to get. Sheesh. I was originally going to get into computer but its not what I really wanted to do so I wanted to try my hand at auto mechanics. What about mechanics that work on diesel engines?

justaKAiswear
11-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Its the same thing really... better consistansy with business though. If commercial stuff breaks, it needs to be fixed, period. Better money too, but the other issues still apply, gets old quick, always working for someone else, physically straining, the tools cost even more money, as well as parts.

I work in parts sales (NAPA while goin to school) and have a good friend out of NADC who works at CAT and has all the complaints listed above, even sold the Camaro he had been building for like 4 years, just got tired of working on stuff.

I would reccommend sales if anything. After getting ASE training and certification you make the same pay as the mechanics, do a lot less, and learn almost as much. Ive done retail, commercial wholesale and heavy duty commercial as well.

I like it, if I didnt pay 30g's to get Economics and Environmental Science degrees, I would stick with it. Get to talk about cars all day and plenty of time to work on your own stuff and get business on the side :D

CrazyKoukiS14
11-01-2008, 02:39 PM

LMFAO thats some good advice right there

CrazyKoukiS14
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Newer Hondas are easier to work on than newer Toyotas. More parts are interchangeable, and Hondas are much less complicated.

hondas were always easy to work on and same with toyotas and nissans, its the Subarus and the American shit that you have to look out for, ive worked at a couple shops and i love working on cars, i love taking shit apart and putting it back together, if you really love it then go for it

Stoichiometric
11-01-2008, 02:45 PM
hondas were always easy to work on and same with toyotas and nissans, its the Subarus and the American shit that you have to look out for, ive worked at a couple shops and i love working on cars, i love taking shit apart and putting it back together, if you really love it then go for it

Actually, V8's are easier than our cars. SR20 and KA's are more complicated than a nice V8 Chevy.

Be a mechanic as a hobby, not as a profession. Just my input.

NISMO_tuner
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM

haha good thing to remember...

my advice, look around for a good area school offering a program that you are interested in and compare different schools.
dont choose one right away just because it looks nice. consider tuition fees, wat kinda certificates you can earn, adn the schools reputation.
then go to local shops and talk to the person in charge, im sure they wont mind getting free labor.

rednissan180
11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
i work at toyota, i used to enjoy working on cars but now i hate it...i guess because i have to do it every day. the pay usually sucks unless you have been doing it for some years. i do get a good deal on snap on tools...i guess its why i still have my job.
f toyotas though, the quality of them suck now a days, as compared to back in the day

Bubbles
11-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Nottttttt alwayssssssss. :ghey::ghey::ghey:

x240xdrifter
11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm a Nissan Tech, just started, went to UNO for a year then transfered to a cheaper community college, been working on cars since high school. Personally I love it, its fun, money is ok for now. And to all these people say dont turn your hobby into a career, ignore that, do what you love, you love turning wrenches, then turn wrenches. Now i dont want to work at a dealership all my life, no way. I only got into this business to go into motorsports. I really want to get into Indy Cars. So after schooling, im going to go to sonoma race school or IUPUI for mechincal engineering with a focus in motorsports program. Anyways point is do what you love, positive thing is job security is great lol

brewster240
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
i love being a tech.

i make lots of money.

i work 4 days a week.

i have 3 extra days a week to make lots of side money, or play with my toys, or go to the track, or....

i have decent benefits.

i love working on my cars still, or my bike, or my 4 wheeler, or any of the other thing i own because i make a lot of money working on cars.

yeah, things slow down in the winter, but if you dont suck, or arent stupid, you can still make good money.

CrazyKoukiS14
11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
i love being a tech.

i make lots of money.

i work 4 days a week.

i have 3 extra days a week to make lots of side money, or play with my toys, or go to the track, or....

i have decent benefits.

i love working on my cars still, or my bike, or my 4 wheeler, or any of the other thing i own because i make a lot of money working on cars.

yeah, things slow down in the winter, but if you dont suck, or arent stupid, you can still make good money.

AMEN to that

mkomar24
11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I used to love working on cars. Now my back is messed up, I am always cut or scraped on my hands somewhere, Its cold in the winter hot in the summer. You are always dirty and no matter what you do or how good you do it you always owe someone your life. The pay is ok if you want to work 75 hours a week. Then once people find out you know stuff about cars they always want your help...for free. Can you change my oil? Can you change my AC compressor? Can you change my engine? These are regular questions and they never want to pay for it. You can bank on side jobs though....

Stoichiometric
11-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I used to love working on cars. Now my back is messed up, I am always cut or scraped on my hands somewhere, Its cold in the winter hot in the summer. You are always dirty and no matter what you do or how good you do it you always owe someone your life. The pay is ok if you want to work 75 hours a week. Then once people find out you know stuff about cars they always want your help...for free. Can you change my oil? Can you change my AC compressor? Can you change my engine? These are regular questions and they never want to pay for it. You can bank on side jobs though....

I hate helping people with their cars. Not just oh, one time, but over and over. I charge everyone now. My parents, my relatives, everyone.

I mean, it takes time to do that shit, and they want it for free.
At least give me $20 bucks, a thank you and a bomb ass lunch of dinner.
If i spent 2 hours installing your shit for your car, you're ass better be in the kitchen for 1 hour cooking something bombay!
But people are shady and want free stuff. No common decency at all.
If it was a hot chick, give me a quicky or something.

Damn, I hate working pro-bono.

Money isn't an issue for me, it's the boredom I develop because of redundancy and no passion or give a damn about some persons car.

Mangudai
11-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I hate helping people with their cars. Not just oh, one time, but over and over. I charge everyone now. My parents, my relatives, everyone.

I mean, it takes time to do that shit, and they want it for free.
At least give me $20 bucks, a thank you and a bomb ass lunch of dinner.
If i spent 2 hours installing your shit for your car, you're ass better be in the kitchen for 1 hour cooking something bombay!
But people are shady and want free stuff. No common decency at all.
If it was a hot chick, give me a quicky or something.

Damn, I hate working pro-bono.

Money isn't an issue for me, it's the boredom I develop because of redundancy and no passion or give a damn about some persons car.

Lol. I was about to get on you for charging relatives but I see where your coming from.

seanc
11-02-2008, 10:15 AM
i love being a tech.
i make lots of money.
i work 4 days a week.
i have decent benefits.

same here brewster, these other kids must be doing something wrong to hate working on cars so much.

Naughty240
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I think most of us that are complaining are flat hate and not hourly. No work is no money and thats a reality with the current car state. When I was busy and had 100 hours of cars lined up with 4 different things going on I was in heaven.

Plus the tech honeymoon is over for many of us. I would rather do cars for myself on my own time and have a different day job with AC and Heat and maybe a window too.

WISH ONE
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
If you dont know anything about cars pick up some books or take a few classes at JR college to get a feel, dont waste your money on UTI or WYOtech. This industry isnt going anywhere, Dealerships at least, everything seems to be going warranty oriented, theres too much to know, too much to learn, too much responsibility and too little room for error, the current master tech has to learn so much that they are basically an engineer with out the pay. I quit working a Nissan dealership a month or so ago, i miss it a bit, but only because its the only thing i knew for almost 3 1/2 years. I like my sales job now, still in the industry and i sit on my ass and go online(zilvia) and get payed more. If you really want to do it for a living, go to a dealership and or independent shop put in the time, get your certs and experience and then go open your own shop and work for yourself.

Dont Mix work with play.

silpena
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
if you like to go into the auto body industry. Id say become an insurance adjuster/estimator or work for the insurance. Flat rate+ insurance companies are making the collision renfising industry hard to work in. They got all shops sweating and pushing out fast dirty jobs with no pride. Every guy i talk to says they hate it or youll want to quit. Thats why i do side jobs on body work for now. I dont want to get into it unless i have too for a little bit. I ratehr work in a hobby shop/hot rod shop. MOre fun and more pride with better pay or id like to work for an insurance company. They pay top $$$ and they give you a car and computer to use. LOts of driving but it beats the B.S> with dick head customers and all the chemicals in the shop especially for the painters. Man, untill they can get rid of isocynates i wont be a painter as a job choice.

racepar1
11-02-2008, 02:36 PM
You will learn more in your first 6 months as an actual mechanic then you will in the entire time you are at school. DO NOT waste your money on expensive schools like UTI or wyotech. School is just to give you a basic idea of how cars are put together in general and the basics of how to diagnose problems. The specifics can only be learned through experience. It is not easy to make money as a mechanic. Most mechanics are on comission which means if you can't get the job done fast you don't make money. The guys who are on salary don't make much money, usually between $300-$500/week. The problem with being on comission though is that when it is slow you barely make any money. I have made as much as $2200 before tax and as little as $275 in a 2 week pay period. If it wasn't for the side jobs I get through the people I know personally and through zilvia I would be screwed with the current economy.

Antihero983
11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I work at subaru, and shit got so dead they put me out at the counter.

I fucking hate people now more than I ever did.

Shit I'm 24, and I'm more of a piserable prick with people that most pissed of 70 year olds.

I love cars, and working on them, but the bullshit that comes with it fucking blows.

driven_
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
time to change my little 16 year old dreams. :/

brewster240
11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I think most of us that are complaining are flat hate and not hourly. No work is no money and thats a reality with the current car state. When I was busy and had 100 hours of cars lined up with 4 different things going on I was in heaven.

Plus the tech honeymoon is over for many of us. I would rather do cars for myself on my own time and have a different day job with AC and Heat and maybe a window too.

im flat rate. i work 38 hours per week. its very rare for me to make less then 45.

a big thing people dont take into consieration is negotiating your terms when you start a job.

dealerships need technicians. you have to play the game, and play it well, or get run the fuck over.

You will learn more in your first 6 months as an actual mechanic then you will in the entire time you are at school. DO NOT waste your money on expensive schools like UTI or wyotech. School is just to give you a basic idea of how cars are put together in general and the basics of how to diagnose problems. The specifics can only be learned through experience. It is not easy to make money as a mechanic. Most mechanics are on comission which means if you can't get the job done fast you don't make money. The guys who are on salary don't make much money, usually between $300-$500/week. The problem with being on comission though is that when it is slow you barely make any money. I have made as much as $2200 before tax and as little as $275 in a 2 week pay period. If it wasn't for the side jobs I get through the people I know personally and through zilvia I would be screwed with the current economy.

while i agree with the whole learning more in the field then at school point, i do not agree with not going to school.

just like any career, the person who has documentation/credentials/certificates/whatever is much more likely to get a job, and get more pay for that job.

what i would recomend, is go to an actual college that has an auto program, and take other classes and work towards an actual college degree.

going to an automotive based tech school is great, but they dont offer much else that will benefit you.

if you get an actual degree, you will have a much easier time moving onto other jobs if you no longer what to be a technician.

management, engineering, or even take some classes that can benefit you if you ever decide to open your own business.

spikNspan
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I went to wyotech and although it was a good education it was way too expensive. on top of that, I started working at a firestone when I got out making 10 bucks an hour and I was making MORE than most of the techs that were payed by the job. I got the hell out of there quick and am now working at kragen with a starting pay of 10.05 and a lot of avenues for advancement within the company, plus they have awesome benefits. I also decided to stay in school and am working towards becoming a mechanical engineer.

I forgot to mention it took me over 2 months to get the job at firestone after I got out of Wyotech and right now it would take longer to get a job at a dealer unless you know someone on the inside, which I did not.

Just stay away man, keep it a hobby and do something for a living that you can actually live on.

racepar1
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
while i agree with the whole learning more in the field then at school point, i do not agree with not going to school.

just like any career, the person who has documentation/credentials/certificates/whatever is much more likely to get a job, and get more pay for that job.

what i would recomend, is go to an actual college that has an auto program, and take other classes and work towards an actual college degree.

going to an automotive based tech school is great, but they dont offer much else that will benefit you.

if you get an actual degree, you will have a much easier time moving onto other jobs if you no longer what to be a technician.

management, engineering, or even take some classes that can benefit you if you ever decide to open your own business.

I never said to not go to school, I just said that wyotech and uti are a waste of money. A community college program is perfect. I went to pierce LA college and I must say that that was the best route I could have chosen. A uti or wyotech diploma will get you no extra money and will put you in front of nobody, but the people that have just came out of school and have no actual experience. I have actually heard a lot of auto shop owners complaining specifically about wyotech students. They say that they are cocky and have un-reasonable expectations as to how much money they will make to start with.

innovation
11-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Subaru's are a joke to work on man. So basic, you just need to get familiar with the layout of the boxer engines and it is cake.

spikNspan
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
^^^ well you're definitely right about wyotech being waaaaay too expensive, but while you're there they tell you how you can make this and that once you get out into the industry. What they don't tell you is that they are lieing to you the entire time and once you get out of there they don't help you at all, they just want your money. and also everyone fuckin lumps every single student from wyotech into the same category and it pisses me the fuck off. I was the 1 out of 5 students who actually gave a shit while I attended wyotech. 4 out of 5 are there so they can get their monthly government check or some bs, hell I had a few felons in my classes with me, I'm sure they really cared about their education.

racepar1
11-02-2008, 11:32 PM
^^^ well you're definitely right about wyotech being waaaaay too expensive, but while you're there they tell you how you can make this and that once you get out into the industry. What they don't tell you is that they are lieing to you the entire time and once you get out of there they don't help you at all, they just want your money.

They should re-name it lieotech! LOL! I worked with a guy who came fresh outta wyotech and he told me the same thing. They tell you that you are going to make $50,000 in your first year and shit like that, ya riiiiiight!

and also everyone fuckin lumps every single student from wyotech into the same category and it pisses me the fuck off. I was the 1 out of 5 students who actually gave a shit while I attended wyotech. 4 out of 5 are there so they can get their monthly government check or some bs, hell I had a few felons in my classes with me, I'm sure they really cared about their education.

Everyone lumps every student from every school together like that because it is basically true. Most students really don't give a fuck! It doesn't matter where you go to school, if YOU want to learn you will learn.

spikNspan
11-02-2008, 11:37 PM
^^^ yeah I know, I just hate how bad of a rep wyotech has in the industry and I think their rep really hurt me when I was initially trying to find a tech job. oh well, you live and you learn and that was just one point in life that I learned a lot of important lessons from.

Modrified
11-02-2008, 11:52 PM
being a mechanic gets old fast. you have to really have to love it in order to last long. quality tools are mad money but at least you can write it of - if it's your profession.

seanc
11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
so all you other flat rate techs, i am one as well, do you not get pride doing an intake manifold on a chrysler v6 in 1 hour when it flags 3 or 4. or when you diagnois a crazy electrical problem in a short amount of time. i feel so accomplished after solving hard problems like this stuff.

Mangudai
11-03-2008, 01:11 AM
time to change my little 16 year old dreams. :/

Why? Don't let someone else let you change your mind. It would be better if you to did it and decide for yourself that its not for you imo. Yea, UTI and Wyotech really do talk a good game. I talked to a lot of people online who attended and got mixed reviews. I decided that for the price it just wasnt worth it. So basically, hourly > flat rate (how things are now anyway?)

40daws
11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
The problem with most of the burnt out guys is organization,discipline and pride in what you do. Most of the guys I work with can't work on the cars in the shop for setting up sidework to do that evening or weekend. Then they complain that they have grossed $20,000 less than last year. 2-3 of these guys take off during the week "sick" to do sidework. The rest are only there for the health insurance. Meanwhile guys I know at Gateway are killing it. 70-90 hours a week consistent over the last 12 months.

Naughty240
11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=brewster240;2425025]im flat rate. i work 38 hours per week. its very rare for me to make less then 45.

a big thing people dont take into consieration is negotiating your terms when you start a job.

dealerships need technicians. you have to play the game, and play it well, or get run the fuck over.
QUOTE]

Yea I know what your saying. My situation is a little different. My company was bought out and they only kept 3 of us and fired a ton, I stayed to feel it out and liked the flat rate system. My pay was an hourly rate with overtime and a bonus on every "flat rate hour" so in actual 44- 46 hour work week I would do 80-120 hours. In the end it was a gross of over 1000k a week. Since I was a start to finish painter I was not offered a true flat rate pay. Since its easy for painters to cut time in half....in fact its expected.

I wish I had been on a scale different but that was the way they did stuff.

Mangudai
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
So its actually a toss up with flat and hourly? I guess if its a big shop that always has business flat would be best. Hourly is def the safely (especially now) I suppose.

racepar1
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
So its actually a toss up with flat and hourly? I guess if its a big shop that always has business flat would be best. Hourly is def the safely (especially now) I suppose.

If you want to get a job right now hourly or salary is the way to go. When times are good flat rate kills it though. It really also depends on the shop that you work at. Some places are just waaaaayyyyyyy in-efficient and it is almost impossible to actually complete 40 flag hours of work in a 40 hour work week. Other places you can do 60+ flag hours in a good 40 hour work week easy.

Mangudai
11-05-2008, 08:32 AM
It seems getting side jobs is very important, I'll be sure to remember this.

rb20hatch
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
to be honest do not get into it sucks. its not good pay unless you are a master tech and have all 8 ase certificates. and right now is not a good time at all to be in the business. i mabe touch 2 or 3 cars a day if im lucky. if your hourly then you'll be fine but being flat rate sucks ass. if your not working on a car you ain't getting paid. im changing my profession and going to school for music industry for sound mixing the get paid like 150k a year. but heres a example for you, a guy here made almost 100k like 2 years ago when the job was good and the last 2 years he was barely getting 40k a year and hes a master tech but everyone isnt bringing cars in to work on because they can not afford it because of the economy being so shitty right now

brewster240
11-06-2008, 12:34 AM
ase's arent important everywhere.

a lot of manufacturers use there own certs these days.

you dont need to be a master tech to make lots of money.

im a level two tech (starts at level 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then master) and i make more then a few of the master techs, even though they make more per hour then me.

Mangudai
11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
ase's arent important everywhere.

a lot of manufacturers use there own certs these days.

you dont need to be a master tech to make lots of money.

im a level two tech (starts at level 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then master) and i make more then a few of the master techs, even though they make more per hour then me.

I understand. I figured someone with as little knowledge as I have, going to school to be certified to teach me most of what I''d need to know.

B Love
11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
If you want to do it then do it. Other people in other places couldnt really speak on your situation because they arent you. I did it for 2 years and was doing fine I liked it good money. Now I make touch screen monitors because I decided to go back to school and its easier with this job to do that but once im done with school Im going back to cars. As long as you can do what you want and make money to live thats all that matters.

1985zcar
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I started out as a lot attendant at the VW dealership I work at...then I started auto school...eventually my boss was like "hey, we're gonna move you into the shop" and I was like okay cool...

So I worked along side a tech for a few months, helping him do anything and everything from oil changes to transmissions, etc etc. Learned a ton, probably more than I have my 2 years at auto school, sadly, lol.

Anyways, for about 6 months now I would say, I've been working solo. I don't get that heavy of work because I'm still learning, but it's worked out pretty well, I've learned a lot, and enjoy what I'm doing. Everyone I work with is cool and is usually willing to help me out when I run into things I don't know, so I'm always learning new things, it's pretty cool.

1985zcar
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh, and I'm not ASE certed...at least not yet. I don't think it's a requirement where I work, but I believe it's a good incentive to receive a raise :P

Sil-Eighty SE-K
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Ive been a flat rate tech for about 4 years now...I was in Lincoln/Mercury dealerships but Ford has been having problems and my dealer closed down bow im a shitbag at pepboys .....anyways i would NOT reccommend it! Its not all its cracked up to be. Being flat rate sucks! at the dealer i used to make 55-60 hours a week on AVERAGE (only worked 40hrs) but the labor times where im at now are rediculous and its really tough to even make the 40hours.... usually like 30-35 in a 45 hour week. work is slow and there are ALOT of techs so there is alot of BS in the shop. People fighting over work and others HOARDING all the work.... there is one guy at my shop that takes EVERYTHING or bitches all day at the manager that he's not getting his far share it pisses me off.... unless he's making 14 hours a day hes bitching whiile the rest of us are scraping 4-5 hours doing oil changes for .3 or tires and shit..... WAY TOO MUCH POLITICS! Also not having a set pay is really unsettliing.... u never know how much your gonna take home.....

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!

ANVIL
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
didnt read the whole thread, but i read the first page and have a few things for you. if you are really serious about it, i would #1 most definately get a job in the field WHILE going to school. this will maximize your understanding of it and help you get though school a lot easier. #2 take advantage of the tool discounts while you are in school.

a few other things, ive worked for independant shops, dealerships and ground service. personally i hate working for dealerships, they almost always pay flat rate hours. its really up and down with flat rating. also dealerships have so much politics, and people watching u ect ect.

independant is a good place to learn i think. i would try to get into an indy while i was going to school. generally the pay wont be as good and probablly have little to no benefits. also they are more willing and trusting to newer techs, and allowing them to learn

then there is ground service mechanics. the mechanics who repair tugs, de-icers and other vehicles taht are involved at the airport. every airline has them, ups, fedex and everyone else has them. to get in you generally need hydrolic knowledge. pay is hourly and benefits are EXCELENT. probablly the best out there. almost all of them require you to be a helper/aprrentice for x months and that helps you be comfortable with what you are doing. if i ever leave my current job, i will be returning to that field.

Im currently a shop manager/lead tech for a rental car company. i got lucky by giving this job a chance. its a GREAT paying job which pays hourly and has great benefits. its really less stressful then all of the other jobs. all the vehicles are less than 2 years old, less than 30k miles and all still have factory warrenty. its basically routine maintenance, oil changes and tires. if i dont want to fix something or it would take longer than 2 hours to do (we only have 3 bays so cant tie them up), off to the dealer it goes for work. im barely a mechanic now but im happy. id suggest this route for some of u other guys who are tired of wrenching.

WISH ONE
11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Read this article.... the link looks weird but it works... "We are in big trouble" Flatratetech.comAutomotive Technicians | Mechanics | Auto Techs | Auto Advice | Auto Tech Forums | Ford Techs | GM Techs | Chrysler Techs | Toyota Techs | Honda Techs | Nissan Techs | Volvo Techs | Land Rover Techs | Diesel Techs | BMW Techs | Volkswagen Techs | Lex (http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=5&p2_articleid=39)

Buffalo Daughter
11-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know about you guys But shits coo with me. I work for a Honda in a high volume area. We have our slow weeks and all but services will always bring money especially since I'm in a big urban area like San jose. I'm flat rate , we just hustle. Fuck hourly. I made twice as much as I did last year andnits a shitty year. I can but 12-17 hours onba good day and leave by lunch if I Wanted to. Funny how all the older techs tell the new not to get in the industry. I don't know everything but what do know makes me enough for the time being. I think it's just the way you look at it. I came in being ambitious and willongvto learn and always wanted more. Always be willing to learn. Money comes with time and knowledge. My benefits with peneske are dope.
Ive been with this company for 3 years. Plan to stay as long as I can. I came from vw an subaru. Sucks to be at GM and ford. Economy cars are were the moneys at. Don't know bout you guys but I see all a plus on my side.

Blackparade
11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
i know a lot of people that hate being a tech!!!!!!

I, myself, personally love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive been a tech for about 3 years, and ive spent those 3 years working on BMW's in a state of the art facility. yea...sure, we have our slow days..slow weeks...even slow months. But in the end, its way worth it. the people who are complaining about flat rate, dont make enough per hour. Most of my other tech buddies from other dealerships have to flag twice the amount of hours as i to make about the same amount of money as i do. last pay period was slow...I mean retarded slow. however i made about 2600 bucks before taxes, and its been the slowest its ever been for me. all that means, is i have to not spend too much cash and jst wait it out till after the holidays.

If your ambitious, and stay level headed, you can make a lot of money in this industry. The jobs are there, you just have to present your self right. I turned down a job this past summer at lambo for $30 an hour salary. I have no experience on those type of cars, but they wanted to train me and what not.

its up to you.

Buffalo Daughter
11-13-2008, 11:19 AM
right on. know what im saying? my boss makes 90k-100k and hes a line tech like me. maybe he'll make 79-80k this year cause its SLOW. he doesnt have all his ASE's and he's 28.haha yeah the moneys there i just feel like people get discouraged or aren't ambitious enough or just don't got the hustle. Push yourself harder to learn the methods of the industry that makes money. You need to capitiliaze on areas that make money when your a tech. Gotta be on your game to. ALSO flate rate i'd say is pretty secure when it comes to keeping a job. Well we all say that in our shop since tons of people are being layed off because of the economy, how can they lay you off when you make your own money?There not paying you when your standing around? When im working shit, hours at a minimum a day i aim for is 12hrs and above. Weekly i used to average 60hrs+ til prolly July. I average 47+ now but hey still above 40. Alot of people always look at the downside but the pros overweigh the con's when you know what to look at. Keep a positive face about it and you will be fine.

I, myself, personally love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive been a tech for about 3 years, and ive spent those 3 years working on BMW's in a state of the art facility. yea...sure, we have our slow days..slow weeks...even slow months. But in the end, its way worth it. the people who are complaining about flat rate, dont make enough per hour. Most of my other tech buddies from other dealerships have to flag twice the amount of hours as i to make about the same amount of money as i do. last pay period was slow...I mean retarded slow. however i made about 2600 bucks before taxes, and its been the slowest its ever been for me. all that means, is i have to not spend too much cash and jst wait it out till after the holidays.

If your ambitious, and stay level headed, you can make a lot of money in this industry. The jobs are there, you just have to present your self right. I turned down a job this past summer at lambo for $30 an hour salary. I have no experience on those type of cars, but they wanted to train me and what not.

its up to you.

Antihero983
11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Yay flat rate.....it was so dead today I played PSP all day.

fuck.

ANVIL
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
hourly ftw. did 1 flat repair, 1 LOF and played DS all day. 10 hrs (2 OT).

Buffalo Daughter
11-13-2008, 09:06 PM
we usually play with our R/c cars in the back lot or drift r/c cars in the shop( floor is good but not the grate). Flat rate FTW. Hourly is epic fail for life. I love controlling my pay.

Secretsquirrel
11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
im a full time tech at a Hyundai dealership. im flat rate with a 40hour guarantee. which makes it really nice during these slow months.

SS

WISH ONE
11-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I turned down a job this past summer at lambo for $30 an hour salary. I have no experience on those type of cars, but they wanted to train me and what not.

its up to you.
You DOne F*cked UP!.. but I guess whatever floats your boat... I think most people would have jumped on that, and the experience and relationships/ networking possibilites would be ENDLESS.

right on. know what im saying? my boss makes 90k-100k and hes a line tech like me. maybe he'll make 79-80k this year cause its SLOW. he doesnt have all his ASE's and he's 28.. Keep a positive face about it and you will be fine.

Now a days If you arent cutting 100k/year you better hope your wife works, Honestly the way I see it and from speaking with every old timer at my ex Nissan dealership, they dont see this going anywhere and if fixing cars wasnt the only thing they new for 30 years then they would leave too.
only way to to make it like BUffalo said is to control your own pay, wether you work for your self or you open your own business. The more risk you take the more Opportunity. I like the maintenance deal, but I can say that mostly everyone wants to work on race cars right?? So unless im doing that, im staying out of the repair industry and keeping wrenching strictly as an outlet, hobby, passion and pastime. Dont get me wrong I do miss it, but the sole purpose of getting into this field when i was younger was just to acquire the knowledge and ability to do my own repairs and work on my own car, also the hopes of a more decent job while I went through school, but honestly there are plenty of occupations that pay a whole lot more than and are more rewarding than being a maintenance tech, the 10-16 hour days for pennies are just not worth it.... anyways im out this is making me sad

Mangudai
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Do any of you find yourselves bending the truth or adding cost to make more money?

iampoor
11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
i used too until i made my hobby a career and then started hating anything to do with cars including mine

WISH ONE
11-18-2008, 02:09 AM
i used too until i made my hobby a career and then started hating anything to do with cars including mine

MY whole basis for all of my posts!^^^^^^

Sil-Eighty SE-K
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Yay flat rate.....it was so dead today I played PSP all day.

fuck.
damn i did ok today but weds and thurs are the slow days and we have EVERY tech on than!!!! not to mention i get the awesome 12-9 shift both days...... i just picked up a PSP and its gets WAY TOO MUCH USE on weds and thurs..... i can literally watch a whole entire UMD movie non-stop inbetween my jobs which end up being LOF's! WTF!!!!!!!!!