PDA

View Full Version : Computer people get in here, I cant figure this out.

Tearlessj
10-18-2008, 05:11 PM
A few days ago my computer stopped recognize exe. files. Like when I try to open paint, a window comes up and says "Choose the program you would like to open this file. File: MSpaint.exe" Its like that for all of my programs (AIM, PS, MSN.) I've also noticed that when I start up my computer none of the start up programs come up. The right tool bar on the start bar (near the clock) has nothing there. Normally its filled with apps. Anyone have any clues?

HyperTek
10-18-2008, 05:16 PM
windows xp? vista?

Sounds like some chit got corrupted. Try to look for a free registry cleaner program, that may help.

try a system restore to an earlier date if you have that enabled..
or use an install disk to repair it.

this morning with my vista ultimate 64.. a windows update would make my computer crash on bootup. threw in the vista disk and did a repair install.. solved it, disabled win update.. for now. works

Tearlessj
10-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Opps, yea its a Xp. I dont have restore or any disk lol. Im going to see what I can find online.

xtheenderx
10-18-2008, 05:25 PM
windows xp? vista?

Sounds like some chit got corrupted. Try to look for a free registry cleaner program, that may help.

try a system restore to an earlier date if you have that enabled..
or use an install disk to repair it.

this morning with my vista ultimate 64.. a windows update would make my computer crash on bootup. threw in the vista disk and did a repair install.. solved it, disabled win update.. for now. works

if all else fails reformat :)

svensko
10-18-2008, 07:39 PM
1) Delete Windows
2) Install Linux
3) Have a working computer

:wan:

lflkajfj12123
10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
yeah your shit got corrupted

backup what you can, scan it for infected files

reinstall windows or a better operating system

Matej
10-18-2008, 08:08 PM
You could try using System Mechanic or a similar utility.
Free Software Downloads - iolo technologies (http://www.iolo.com/downloads.aspx)

The trial is free, I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
If all else fails, you'll have to reformat.

Teknolust72
10-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Your main windows kernel file may be corrupt. You can try to fix it, but its just like putting a band aid over a leak. Re-install windows with a destructive format (erases everything, no back up files). So, before you do that, back up all your precious data (make sure you arent taking any files that may have a virus)

JRas
10-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I've never heard of anything like that

but I guess it could be a virus.. do you have an type of anti-virus running?

if all else fails, reformat

Tearlessj
10-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Damn this sucks, i run spybot, Adaware, and Malwarebytes monthly. I do torrent a lot. The funny thing is this happened to me before, and I reformatted it a few months ago (first time). Now it came back. Luckily I have most of my stuff backed up already.

JRas
10-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Damn this sucks, i run spybot, Adaware, and Malwarebytes monthly. I do torrent a lot. The funny thing is this happened to me before, and I reformatted it a few months ago (first time). Now it came back. Luckily I have most of my stuff backed up already.

what about an anti-virus program?!

HyperTek
10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
some torrent files may contain trojans

if your just turning your computer off without shutting down, that could corrupt shit too. Or could even be dusty computer but that would usually do bluescreen of death or hardware errors.

If you had a xp disk, you could install it as a "upgrade" and it would keep all ur shit, just writing over the OS.. thats what i used to do back in the day.

cserrano86
10-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Use Time Machine... oh wait... nevermind...

keistyle
10-19-2008, 04:05 AM
does everythin else still work aka task bar and etc?
explorer.exe?

Tearlessj
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
does everythin else still work aka task bar and etc?
explorer.exe?
Nope, the only thing that still works is firefox. Everything else just ask for which program to use. Although sometimes if I choose the icon again in the window the program works.

MudRacer
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Happened to me once. I had to format it. Some sort of spyware/virus took over and replaced some of the registry in windows. Only way to fix this was to format the machine.

Make sure to scan all your data that you will beckup before putting it back into ur new OS.

Good luck. Install XP Pro SP2 for best results.