PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin search suckiness

brage
01-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Okay.... now is the time to bring up how much the search function on vBulletin boards just totally sucks!

I want to be able to search by thread title, and other specifics...

Anyone care to comment on that

SimpleS14
01-27-2003, 12:21 PM
The search doesn't suck, its better than it was before.......your just too damn picky. :rolleyes:

TheTimanator
01-27-2003, 06:18 PM
At least its there.....the only thing I don't like about it, is that it doesn't let you search for words with less than 3 letters. And since everyone abriviates SR20DET as SR....its hard to look for SR related topics on this board :( but I'll live...

96SEChick
01-27-2003, 07:40 PM
For a long time, we didn't have a working search function. Then Mark was able to fix it (it took time and effort he didn't have at that time), and now he's improved it even more. I think it works great--definitely compared to what it was.

I agree w/ TheTimanator, though, on the fact that we should be able to search for 2-letter words like KA and SR, but I'm not complaining since the function is working great otherwise.

brage
01-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah the 3 letter minimum is annoying, but it is understandable as doing a text search against a mysql database for such small words where the database has a lot of textual content can be very hard on the DB.... what I am interested in seeing is a PHRASE search! IE "tein ha" should not return "The search term you specified (ha) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
"

-jeff

P.S. I do a lot of PHP development and I could certainly assist.
Dumping to HTML and letting google spider the forums is also a good idea. Since that will also improve the search results on google for 240sx related stuff for our 240sx friends out there who don't use the boards :)

ca18guy
01-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by brage
Okay.... now is the time to bring up how much the search function on vBulletin boards just totally sucks!

I want to be able to search by thread title, and other specifics...

Anyone care to comment on that

You can search thread titles and such. The option is in the left hand lower corner :confused: