PDA

View Full Version : I didnt know johhny J died *2pacs original producer* R.I.P

HyperTek
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Johnny J was one of 2pacs original producers... I didnt know he passed away recently..
Johnny "J" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_%22J%22)

Early Productions

He produced the 1990 single "Knockin' Boots" for his classmates Candyman's album Ain't No Shame in My Game, which eventually went platinum thanks to the single[4]

Tupac, Death Row Records and Solo album (1993—1997)
Johnny J and 2Pac, circa 1996
Johnny J and 2Pac, circa 1996

After the numerous nominations for Candyman, Johnny J met 2pac and recorded nine tracks with him in three days[citation needed]. Following these recordings Johnny produced "Pour Out a Little Liquor" which appeared on the Above The Rim soundtrack and 2pac's Thug Life album. The soundtrack eventually went Double Platinum and won the the Soundtrack of The Year Award at the 1995 Source Awards.[5]

Johnny produced the track "Death Around The Corner" which ended up on 2Pac's third solo album entitled Me Against The World That album eventually went to the top of the Billboard 200.[3]

While Shakur was in prison for the most of 1995, Johnny J recorded and released his debut rap album I Gotta Be Me, which spawned two singles: "Get Away From Me" and "Dig Um' Out". A music video was shot for "Get Away From Me". Jackson produced the entire album, and even showcased his singing abilities on such tracks as "Love's the Way". The beat for "Better Off" would later be recycled for 2Pac's "Picture Me Rollin'" in his 1996 album All Eyez On Me.[6] I Gotta Be Me is now out of print and hard to find.

After 2Pac's release in late 1995, the two began collaborating for 2Pac's Death Row Records debut All Eyez On Me.[3] The double album was released early next year, and Johnny J produced the chart topping hits "All Bout U", "How Do U Want It" and "Life Goes On".[7] He also produced "Thug Passion", "Shorty Wanna Be A Thug", "Wonda Why They Call U Bitch", "Run tha Streetz", "All Eyez on Me", "What'z Ya Phone #" and "Picture Me Rollin'"[3]

The album is one of the most influential albums in hip hop history, and according to the RIAA, 9 million copies of the album were sold in the United States alone by June 18, 1998.[8]

Miscellaneous ventures (1997—2006)

Prior to Tupac Shakur's death Johnny produced over 100 tracks for the rapper, a great deal of them unreleased. [9] Many of Johnny's collaborations with Shakur ended up being remixed for his posthumous releases such as "Until The End Of Time", "Better Dayz", and "R U Still Down? (Remember Me)", while only a select few remained in their original form.

Johnny had composed a few music scores in such films as Gridlock'd.[3] The first artist Johnny collaborated with after 2Pac's death was Bizzy Bone from Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Johnny produced "Thugz Cry" and "Nobody Can Stop Me" off of the Heavenz Movie album, a release that would eventually go gold.[3]

Along with Napoleon from the Outlawz and Val Young, Johnny released "Never Forget" in 2004, a tribute song to 2Pac. A music video was shot for the song, and includes many guest appearances from many of Shakur's close friends.

In 2005, Johnny was rumoured to be launching a new label with Ruthless Records co-founder Jerry Heller aimed at the Latino hip-hop community.

Later life

In mid 2006, Johnny J premiered a 10 year anniversary Tupac tribute track on a charitable compilation by Dr. Mutulu Shakur entitled A 2Pac Tribute: Dare 2 Struggle. The song was written by Johnny and performed by a new artist working with Klock Work at the time named T-Jay.

In mid 2008, Iranian-Canadian rapper Imaan Faith collaborated with Deejay Ra to release Imaan's debut album Let The Truth Be Known on Universal Music Canada, featuring an opening track with Johnny J entitled "Goin 2 Da Top", which was recorded at Johnny's studio in California in mid 2006. Johnny's name was mentioned in billboard, radio and TV advertisements across Canada as one of the album's producers during a 3 month advertising campaign, and the album charted at #6 on the Nielsen SoundScan top ten in Canada the week of its March 11th release.

Johnny J had been recording for most of 2008 with actress/singer Tatyana Ali on her sophomore music album The Light.[10]

According to his own MySpace page, Johnny J died on October 3, 2008 at the age of 39.[11] While serving a sentence for DWI in the Twin Towers Correctional Facility located in Los Angeles, California, he allegedly jumped off an upper tier of the prison in an apparent suicide.[12]

His 2008 online interview about Pac's music was soo deep *mostly about his after death album releases being crap and the record companies letting bullshit rappers touch his albums and remixes, when they should just release the originals* YouTube - Johnny J New Interview Talkin About 2pac & His Music Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcqLSYsKtI&feature=related)

R.I.P. Johnny J
http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01375/70/39/1375209307_l.jpg
http://b5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01373/57/20/1373280275_l.jpg

He produced some good music and had some slammin beats

exitspeed
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Knockin Boots was the jam.

I love using that phrase still.

Matej
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
How come all the people who run hiphop behind the curtains are white(ish)?

exitspeed
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Hahha. A better question would be why won't people admit it. lol.

HyperTek
10-13-2008, 02:05 PM
he was hispanic
http://a519.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/48/l_890735ec7719f237e2bf4e15184eafb6.jpg
http://a146.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/47/l_19996ce8b31fc76809656e5776690df1.jpg

Phlip
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Because it takes money to make money.
The real money is being made upstairs, artists get fucked.
You have to REEEEEAAAALLLY not care about something to exploit it... That is why most people younger than 25 don't know (or care) who The Cold Crush Brothers were, but we live in a world with Soulja Boy.