PDA

View Full Version : I bought a shitty car for too much is there anything I can do?

SnakeKack
10-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Ok so I Just bought a 1993 Toyota Supra NA 5-spd, Targa. I bought it sort of online on a forum from a guy that doesn't live far away. I talked to him for months about the car and we kinda became friends before I actually bought it.

It turns out though the car is a huge piece of shit. I bought the car knowing there was a few things wrong with it. Those things are...the transmission needs to be swapped out, the front seats are in shitty shape, the a/c needs a recharge, and it had an exhaust leak BUT he was giving me a catback exhaust so that was gonna fix it...

Ok so the guy actually delivers that car to me, it looks beautiful the motor does run fine, it ends up missing a few things in the engine bay...but i figure no big deal i can get those on ebay....Car seems good so I buy it...

Ok so I take it to work put it on the lift and find out the car is leaking from the front and rear seals...the valve cover...the steering rack and power steering resevoir. The exhaust leak is coming from the header....so the exhaust isn't gonna fix it...the oil pressure,check engine, and trac lights don't work. The guage says "p,r,n,d" and i found out buy having the dealer trace the vin that it was originaly an automatic. Also the airbag light is on meaning the bags are probably disabled or they went off, and the hood is from a 1994 supra. the rad core support is slightly dented on the bottom and slighty out of wack on the top.......I could go on...

But I called the guy up after work which is the same day I bought it and I told him I want my money back, cause i don't want to put so much money into a car to get it in shape and about all the problems with the car etc because before I bought it from him he stressssseddddd like crazy that there was nothing else wrong with the car except the things that I knew about before buying it. He told me he didn't know about all that stuff because when he bought it he only drove it a little while cause he has 4 MKIVs....

He tried to over me 500 in cash, and a set of 18" G35 rims(to put on my 240). to try to compensate for all the things wrong....I was like helll no. So he is trying to find someone else to buy it for what i paid for it. I told him it's waaaay to much for what i paid for and he said I don't understand how the MKIV market works, and that a shell alone just sold for $8000 which I don't give a shit. It's a fucking toyota not a porsche when it comes down to it.

So i wanna know if there is any maybe legal way of going about this to get my money back? By the way he gave me NO BILL OF SALE. so... there is nothing saying sold as is or whatever. I really need help here if anyone can give me some.

spoolandslide
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
California Lemon Law - A California lemon law lawyer can help for lemon law car (http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/california/index11.aspx)

or you could beat your money out of him with a variety of blunt objects

/thread

slider2828
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Nope used car.... you should have checked it out... You agreed to the sale, in court that would hold and you are done... Hearsay is useless unless its written down.... Go to a lawyer for a free consult.

Killa_D
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
In a way is your fault before handing out the money you should of taken it to a shop and have them inspect the car. Its a 93 so those things wrong with it just mean poor maintenance. And you not knowing that the hood was replaced and the other shit, stuff like that are the first things you look at when buying a car. Try to take him to small claim court but i thought you'll get anything back.

SnakeKack
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the lemon law only works with dealers.

And yeah it seems like I am screwed in a way. He has said that he already has someone that wants to buy it but he hasn't got back to me yet since yesterday.

Killa_D
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
i say ask him to give some money back so you can fix some of the stuff wrong with it or just sell it. Or take a trip to where he lives and fuck his car up make sure you dent up the quarter panel pretty good lol.

Camo
10-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I think you just learned a valuable lesson. Dont listen to ANYTHING ANYONE says about the car they are trying to sell. Money will make people shiesty. Always inspect the car yourself and if you dont know what to look for, take it to someone who does. Sorry to hear about it though. Good luck!

Baka Sama
10-07-2008, 11:30 PM
How much did you pay for it? The guiy sounds alright if you ask me. He offered you 500 back plus a set of rims. Really he didnt have to give you anything. You had months to check the car out and run a carfax report on it to see what it needed. sounds like you just bought an average used 15 year old car. Suck it up and fix it. Supras arnt cheap and Im surprised you didnt know that.

SnakeKack
10-07-2008, 11:39 PM
How much did you pay for it? The guiy sounds alright if you ask me. He offered you 500 back plus a set of rims. Really he didnt have to give you anything. You had months to check the car out and run a carfax report on it to see what it needed. sounds like you just bought an average used 15 year old car. Suck it up and fix it. Supras arnt cheap and Im surprised you didnt know that.

Yeah i do know they aren't cheap. But for the average price of a near perfect running NA it shouldn't be in this condition. Like i said he stressed and stressed that there was nothing else wrong with it. And I had 2 opportunities to go see the car that HE failed to show up, first was, he couldn't make it down to show me the car.... and second he was throwing a b'day party for his friend and couldn't make it down..... And because of my work schedule which I usually work 11am-8:30pm I don't normaly get chances to do things and that is why we agreed on doing it that way and since he was gonna be down for the weekend and it turned out like perfect timing to close the deal. I mean this guy is supposed to be my friend.

And TRUST ME i did learn a lesson heh....

DreamN
10-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Take him to court. Get your money back and return the car. It's doable, but it's not 100% that you'll win. Consult an attorney. Seeing as he stressed that the car had no issues other than the ones mentioned it's a breach of contract if he had prior knowledge of this. Your job is to convince the court that this person sold you a car full well knowing of all its problems. If you're unable to do that then you're pretty much SOL and lesson learned.

Just do searches and see if you can find similar cases that work in your favor. Another thing is the time frame of the whole sale. If it was in a day or so when you contacted him about all the issues that could help you in simply returning the car and getting your money back.

I've dealt with a similar issue, but it was a definite breach of contract since the seller told me the car had a clean title and ended up having a salvage one. I got my money back and returned the car.

HyperTek
10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
take the 500 bucks.. sell the G35 wheels.. throw a 1jz or put that towards a 2jz

cheap turbo mk4 ..

how much did you buy the car for btw?

Check your aim, does it record aim conversations?? I use trillian and it logs stuff

RiversideS13
10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Did you guys agree of the purchase under AS IS condition?

I believe it is illegal to sell a car with airbag light and check engine light taken out from the dash.... you should check with your local law. However, you should have check the dash lights when the ignition key is at 'ON" position

i saw a similar law suit case on "judge judy" but seller won. sorry i forgot about the reason because i was too busy eating lunch. maybe you can look it up

SnakeKack
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
There was no "as is" agreement. I bought the car for 12k. Most of the convos were on the phone unfortunatley. There was no "not that I know of" thing when I asked him "beside all the things you told me is there anything else at all wrong with the car?" his answer every time was "no everything else is fine" I even once worded it like this "please if there is anything else wrong with the car don't be afraid to to let me know, just be straight up with me"

HyperTek
10-08-2008, 12:16 AM
wow 12k.. i know thats kinda cheap for a mkiv but dam you could have bought a already 2jz swapped sc300 and been in mkiv territory

get your money back man!

SnakeKack
10-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Also I explained to him multiple times that 12k is a lot of money and i have never spent that much money on buying a car before and that I wanted to make sure it was worth it because I felt uncomfortable spending that kind of money at once. And he "reasured" me that there was nothing else wrong with it.

We agreed on the price but that was in mind that there was nothing else wrong with the car.

SnakeKack
10-08-2008, 12:20 AM
But am I right though? 12k is what you see those cars in good running shape with virtually no problems. correct?

SnakeKack
10-08-2008, 12:23 AM
wow 12k.. i know thats kinda cheap for a mkiv but dam you could have bought a already 2jz swapped sc300 and been in mkiv territory

get your money back man!

Yeah I had a dream of owning an MKIV that just went down the toilet. I just want my money back so I can use some of it to fix up my 240 and stick with that.I should never have tried to find something to replace my old squeaky S13 =\

silpena
10-08-2008, 12:24 AM
get on the peoples court.....i seen an episode like 5 times on this and the person who got jipped allways wins. I'm being serious. Write to them and explaine your issue plus youll be on tv. Make sure to get a report from a shop and the dealer on all the issues and maybe the average price on supras at the price you bought it.

1ZlowZ
10-08-2008, 12:31 AM
You are correct.

enjetek
10-08-2008, 04:09 AM
But am I right though? 12k is what you see those cars in good running shape with virtually no problems. correct?

no way. ask me how i know. if i saw a 93/94 supra for that cheap i would know something is wrong with it.

VQMaxFan
10-08-2008, 04:25 AM
no way. ask me how i know. if i saw a 93/94 supra for that cheap i would know something is wrong with it.

I doubt an NA model. Ive seen auto TT's go for about that price range w/ rough paint. Well thats down here on the gulf coast.

enjetek
10-08-2008, 04:30 AM
no way dude...12k for a tt...auto tts go from 18-23 easily. na should be 15-20 still.

lucky7
10-08-2008, 04:31 AM
lol, fucking supras. they go to peoples heads.

i WAS gonna say, take the $500 and G35 wheels and run. until you said you paid $12k for it. you got hosed, and you let it happen.

i dont get this supra hype. i hate the cars to begin with. i personally wouldnt pay more than 6. i'd only pay $12k for a MINT TT. they're too damn old to be spending real money on.

TheWolf
10-08-2008, 05:56 AM
what's great condition for one is crappy for another...

aznpoopy
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM

i WAS gonna say, take the $500 and G35 wheels and run. until you said you paid $12k for it. you got hosed, and you let it happen.

i dont get this supra hype. i hate the cars to begin with. i personally wouldnt pay more than 6. i'd only pay $12k for a MINT TT. they're too damn old to be spending real money on.

just because you dislike supras and the prices they draw doesn't mean he actually paid too much for it. 12k is still on the cheap side even with all its crazy problems.

12k for a mint tt? lol ...maybe if you stole it at gunpoint. 25k-40k, depending on mileage and condition, is way more realistic

OP... next time when you buy a car. #1 check market prices. #2 take it a mechanic or get it up on a lift yourself. fl has no lemon law for used cars. and honestly i don't think you got ripped off anyway. you cannot expect a private seller to know every mechanical problem with their car.

there are two types of legal warranties. express and implied. in a private used car sale there is generally never any kind of implied warranty. you'd have to argue he affirmatively misrepresented the condition of the car during to sale... his misrepresentations would constitute express warranties and would be actionable.

and ppl, please stop bringing up judge judy / mathis / etc. those are not real courts and their decisions do not need to be based on actual law. all of those are shows are arbitration dressed up to look like a court.

enjetek
10-08-2008, 08:34 AM
finally someone else that knows what he is talking about. lol. thanks aznpoopy.

lucky7
10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
just because you dislike supras and the prices they draw doesn't mean he actually paid too much for it. 12k is still on the cheap side even with all its crazy problems.

12k for a mint tt? lol ...maybe if you stole it at gunpoint. 25k-40k, depending on mileage and condition, is way more realistic

exactly my point. the market is so skewed for this particular vehicle, that i WILL never own one. i refuse to pay "market value" on something i dissagree with entirely (and i am not alone). not to mention i feel as though by looking elsewhere i can get more, for less. (IE, B5+ S4, E46 M3, ETC.)

the fact of the matter however, is that the OP purchased the car. there isnt much that can be done at this point. you have surely learned that it is wise to be an educated consumer.

now, if you were local to me, we could make the car dissapear. :naughty: i know of several success stories in that reguard. :keke:

TheRonTom31
10-08-2008, 09:28 AM

I agree take the $500 and wheels and split. ALl the repairs you have to do are cheap and easy.

1. 2jzge's are stupid cheap and you can find them almost anywhere. You already have the tranny. Hell you can get GTE's for $2000 now.
2. You can get a new header for the car, aftermarket even for like $300
3. it cost what like $30 to DIY the ac recharge
4. The trac light probly doesnt work cuase the auto to manual swap, same with CEL. Oil pressure possibly just a fuse or sensor not hard
5. Who the fuck cares what year the hood is. IF it fits big deal
6. Get used to leather seats sucking at life. Don't like them take them out and sell them to a SC driver for $400 we love supra seats cause they are direct bolt in and are alwayse looking for them any shape or form cause we have the money to get new leather skins

All these things are stupid little nit picks. You obviously have access to a shop. You could have all this stuff cleaned up for $1000 and maybe a solid days worth of work. I dont even have a garage and I could have this done in a weekend

enjetek
10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok so I Just bought a 1993 Toyota Supra NA 5-spd, Targa. I bought it sort of online on a forum from a guy that doesn't live far away. I talked to him for months about the car and we kinda became friends before I actually bought it.

It turns out though the car is a huge piece of shit. I bought the car knowing there was a few things wrong with it. Those things are...the transmission needs to be swapped out, the front seats are in shitty shape, the a/c needs a recharge, and it had an exhaust leak BUT he was giving me a catback exhaust so that was gonna fix it...

Ok so the guy actually delivers that car to me, it looks beautiful the motor does run fine, it ends up missing a few things in the engine bay...but i figure no big deal i can get those on ebay....Car seems good so I buy it...

Ok so I take it to work put it on the lift and find out the car is leaking from the front and rear seals...the valve cover...the steering rack and power steering resevoir. The exhaust leak is coming from the header....so the exhaust isn't gonna fix it...the oil pressure,check engine, and trac lights don't work. The guage says "p,r,n,d" and i found out buy having the dealer trace the vin that it was originaly an automatic. Also the airbag light is on meaning the bags are probably disabled or they went off, and the hood is from a 1994 supra. the rad core support is slightly dented on the bottom and slighty out of wack on the top.......I could go on...

But I called the guy up after work which is the same day I bought it and I told him I want my money back, cause i don't want to put so much money into a car to get it in shape and about all the problems with the car etc because before I bought it from him he stressssseddddd like crazy that there was nothing else wrong with the car except the things that I knew about before buying it. He told me he didn't know about all that stuff because when he bought it he only drove it a little while cause he has 4 MKIVs....

He tried to over me 500 in cash, and a set of 18" G35 rims(to put on my 240). to try to compensate for all the things wrong....I was like helll no. So he is trying to find someone else to buy it for what i paid for it. I told him it's waaaay to much for what i paid for and he said I don't understand how the MKIV market works, and that a shell alone just sold for $8000 which I don't give a shit. It's a fucking toyota not a porsche when it comes down to it.

So i wanna know if there is any maybe legal way of going about this to get my money back? By the way he gave me NO BILL OF SALE. so... there is nothing saying sold as is or whatever. I really need help here if anyone can give me some.

try this to fix your air bag light:
MKIV.COM (http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/airbag_light/airbag.htm)

i had the same problem from power steering res. just diagnose it and fix it. it turned out to be a little o ring with my car.

if the radiator works fine then who cares.

front and rear seal good luck its fun on our cars.

with all the money you saved on getting the car you can use it to fix it up.

eli_eli
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
you didnt over pay for the car, but the guy should have told you about the other issues, i am sure he knew at least half of them, specially if the car was hit, which is a good possibilty from what you stated, but at this point i think ur best option is try to get your money back, and if that doesnt work, as for a little more than $500 and the wheels, maybe 1K and the wheels would be ok...gl in any way man

HalveBlue
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
What? Are you serious?

You're fucked, bro. Used cars are always sold as is. From reading your story it sounds like you placed too much trust in the seller.

Really, you're 21. You should know how used car buying works by now.

fliprayzin240sx
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Thank you Fast and Furious...I remember back in 99-00 when I can find a higher mileaged MKIV TT in the $12k range in socal. I never saw the hype after, the cars a fucking pig anyways. Only good at being a dyno queen...

Anyways call your DMV or better yet a lawyer and ask. The only thing that could help you is the fact that he didnt give you a bill of sale stating sold as is. You can just say it was sold to you under false pretense that what he stated to you was what was all that was wrong with the car.

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I would have been happy to take it off your hands for 8k if you were in Cali. That's what you paid for it right? But the biggest difference is that I'm more willing to work on it than you more likely. All but the tranny is not a big deal to me.

S14DB
10-08-2008, 03:29 PM
1993 Toyota Supra used car prices, trade in value at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/toyota/supra/8889/prices.html)

Did you get the Title signed over to you or a bill of sale? If you didn't get the pink slip or bill of sale you may be able to get out of it saying the sale was not completed.

enjetek
10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
1993 Toyota Supra used car prices, trade in value at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/toyota/supra/8889/prices.html)

Did you get the Title signed over to you or a bill of sale? If you didn't get the pink slip or bill of sale you may be able to get out of it saying the sale was not completed.

that link proves nothing. even ask insurance companies, if you get into an accident you can get market value for a supra not what edmunds or kbb quotes. :)

heres an example of insanity:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Toyota-Supra-Supra-949HP-361-93km-h-225MPH-The-fastest-Toyota-in-EU_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c6 5Q3a3Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem200260811781QQitemZ200260811781

S14DB
10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
that link proves nothing. even ask insurance companies, if you get into an accident you can get market value for a supra not what edmunds or kbb quotes. thanks for being smart. :)

heres an example of insanity:
eBay Motors: Other Makes (item 200260811781 end time Oct-13-08 04:29:33 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Toyota-Supra-Supra-949HP-361-93km-h-225MPH-The-fastest-Toyota-in-EU_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c6 5Q3a3Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem200260811781QQitemZ200260811781)

Way to pick the one off custom. I'm not that far off. Don't be a bandwagoner. We all know how much 240's are worth too and how much people pay for beat up POS.

More realistic:
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 260296588934 end time Oct-12-08 19:32:23 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1994-600WHP-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-For-Sale_W0QQitemZ260296588934QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260296588934&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid)
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 170269805202 end time Oct-13-08 20:15:42 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___95-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO_W0QQitemZ170269805202QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170269805202&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid)
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 320308212466 end time Oct-12-08 19:12:09 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___CLEAN-LOW-MILES-NON-TURBO_W0QQitemZ320308212466QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320308212466&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318)

enjetek
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Way to pick the one off custom. I'm not that far off. Don't be a bandwagoner. We all know how much 240's are worth too and how much people pay for beat up POS.

More realistic:
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 260296588934 end time Oct-12-08 19:32:23 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1994-600WHP-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-For-Sale_W0QQitemZ260296588934QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260296588934&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid)
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 170269805202 end time Oct-13-08 20:15:42 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___95-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO_W0QQitemZ170269805202QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170269805202&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid)
eBay Motors: Toyota : Supra (item 320308212466 end time Oct-12-08 19:12:09 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___CLEAN-LOW-MILES-NON-TURBO_W0QQitemZ320308212466QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320308212466&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318)

notice how all of your links show reserve not met? i can start at .99 and then if it gets up to $20 is that a valid auction link to present? the second one also shouldnt count since it has a bad title. anyways you cant compare 240s too since there are waaaaay more of them than supras. thats the key difference between a supra and other cars - the amount of them available here. also, since youre showing ebay links....show all the ones in the 20+k range...way more than the 3 you posted :)

HyperTek
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
to the op, can you post pics?

hey they still are good looking cars

aznpoopy
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM

do an unlimited distance nationwide search on cars.com for 93+ supras across the entire united states

there are 65 for sale.
there are only 2 that are cheaper than 12,000, and one is obviously a scam.
less than 15 are under 20k, and one is actually a SC300/400.
the other 40 or so go all the way up to 67k (!)

the values may be inflated but that's what they are. market sets the price.

enjetek
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
again, aznpoopy, thanks for telling the truth to ppl. i wont even get to the comment where someone said they are only dyno queens. there are plenty of supras with fast times despite being 'porky'.

RedStage
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Car doesn't spound like it will be that hard to fix.
Always get a used car inspected by a mechanic YOU trust (not one the seller uses) or take a friend that knows his/her way around cars. And a Carfax report doesn't hurt (may not be 100% accurate, but will give you some valuable information at least up to some point of the car's history).

You should have been able to talk him down some had you identified the problems before money changes hands. He may not have know everything that was wrong that you found.

Take it to some place to get repair quotes then take that to the seller and see if he would be willing to up his $500 + G35 wheels offer to compensate.

He may be willing to still do the right thing. You said he hase more Supra's, maybe he can help with parts.....Good luck with it all.

mondojackal
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
sounds like old dude didn't know about what's wrong with the car. it really doesn't sound like it's that bad. you got a steal on a car that's a decade and a half old. just take what he's offering, fix the car, and you've got a MkIV. can't believe you're bitching about this. i'd sell my left nut for a MkIV. i'm kinda partial to the right one.

SnakeKack
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I want to thank everyone for all of there responses I think everyone had good points and suggestions. I would like extra thanks to aznpoopy cause I dunno why but I don't post on here often but anytime I do this guy pops up and always has a good answer lol.

I really did learn my lesson, and yeah fixing all this stuff it won't be like expensive but it's just a bunch of little like "headache" shits that I didn't want to go through and the last owner told me all that shit wasn't wrong with it.

He put it up for sale, and I posted a craigslist ad but I think in the mean time I am gonna fix the exhaust and tranny so it drives fine, and some other little shits here and there and try to sell it and see what happens. I don't feel like putting the time into this but I guess I kinda brought it upon myself to some respects.

Here are some pics. like i said the car does look good lol.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/sr6388/NAsup.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/sr6388/nanew65.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/sr6388/nanew5.jpg

Anyone wanna buy a Supra lol?

codyace
10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
What? Are you serious?

You're fucked, bro. Used cars are always sold as is. From reading your story it sounds like you placed too much trust in the seller.

Really, you're 21. You should know how used car buying works by now.

Agree 100%

You were buying a used car. You should have done your homework and done more research about the car before purchase. Sounds to me you made a HUGE impulse buy, and realized the project is going to cost more than you expected (as all car related projects do).

If you spent half as much time looking at the car as you have bene trying to con/technicality your way out of keeping the car, you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

PS: If you're swapping everything over/out and making some power, your 'issues' are going to be replaced anyway. For 12k you got a nice shell!

mkiv98
10-09-2008, 05:22 AM
I agree take the $500 and wheels and split. ALl the repairs you have to do are cheap and easy.

1. 2jzge's are stupid cheap and you can find them almost anywhere. You already have the tranny. Hell you can get GTE's for $2000 now.
2. You can get a new header for the car, aftermarket even for like $300
3. it cost what like $30 to DIY the ac recharge
4. The trac light probly doesnt work cuase the auto to manual swap, same with CEL. Oil pressure possibly just a fuse or sensor not hard
5. Who the fuck cares what year the hood is. IF it fits big deal
6. Get used to leather seats sucking at life. Don't like them take them out and sell them to a SC driver for $400 we love supra seats cause they are direct bolt in and are alwayse looking for them any shape or form cause we have the money to get new leather skins

All these things are stupid little nit picks. You obviously have access to a shop. You could have all this stuff cleaned up for $1000 and maybe a solid days worth of work. I dont even have a garage and I could have this done in a weekend

listen to this guy, only positive thing said in this thread

its not that hard, just get down and do it one at a time and ull have a nice dd supra. NA, but whatever, still looks cool. just think of it as a bad gas mileage celica

ESmorz
10-09-2008, 05:27 AM
You seem like a whiner, and fairly incompetent.

There is always a reason people sell things... always. You should know that when buying ANY used cars that you should expect to find tons of shit wrong with it... especially if you didn't do a thorough inspection before hand.

lucky7
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
i'd just like to point out, that car is butt ass ugly. :keke:

put an LS1 in that pile, and make it decent.

good luck.

sillyvia13
10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
my buddy bought a 1 owner 68k supra, like this. 8k mint nothing wrong whatso ever...

You have paid alot for this lesson in life... good thing is tho, you paid so much you shall never forget lesson learned...

gl with kicking his ass.

codyace
10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
i'd just like to point out, that car is butt ass ugly. :keke:

put an LS1 in that pile, and make it decent.

good luck.

LSx in everything is good :D

ESmorz
10-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Guess what happens when you buy an ALWAYS ricey looking dyno queen for way more than it's worth...

oh yeah

LSx in everything is good :D

Oh how true.

beeracing s14
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
this is the moment that i wouldnt mind paying more if i get it at the dealership.

SexPanda
10-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Cme the lemon lot on ft. leonard wood. Put up 15,000 OBO, and it'll be gone in a month, guarantee it.

one of the perks of living on an army training post. Stupid people, just getting out of AIT, with too much enlistment bonus to know what to do with... So guess what many of them do? Yep, buy a car.

S14DB
10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I thought you didn't get your bonus's till you got to your duty station?

Matej
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Sounds like my car.

I just ignore all the leaks.

SexPanda
10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I thought you didn't get your bonus's till you got to your duty station?

Yeah I think so. But we have a ton of MP's here, as their 1st duty station... And a few others, I don't keep track. I just know I see to many 18-21 year olds with brand new 300c's and cadillacs...

MambaSic
10-26-2008, 04:52 AM
i wil buy it off u for 3 grand and a g20. Ok hit me up

lflkajfj12123
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
so let me get this straight..

you bought the car before taking it to a shop to check it out and before you ran a vin check

and you're fucking complaining because YOU'RE the idiot and took his word for it and bought the car

you made a mistake and now your stuck

stop crying about it and do what needs to be done

shinmei-2006
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
damn craig he fucked you good. sorry dude :( gimme a call sometime, ill hook you up with a mk4 guy i know who can help.

az_240
10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Take what you can get out of the guy and swap in either a 1jz or 2jz. It really wont cost much more and if you do it proper you can turn around and sell it for a grip

HyperTek
10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
just keep it and go pick up some highschool chicks lol it will pay for itself in vag

!Zar!
10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
There is nothing the op can do really.

/thread

TheCakeIsALie
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Part it out. It may not hold up in court, as somebody said before, it is a "used car". Im guessing there was no 'implied warranty' so to hold that up in court probable wont be a victory for you. To rightfully sell it you NEED to include all known problems which means you most likely wont get much for it that way. Best bet- part it out. It will take a while but strip it, sell the shell, the start selling everything else.

98koukile
10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Take the $500 like everyone said... that'll help with a trans at least, all the other stuff is minor things you can fix yourself