PDA

View Full Version : Is this to Much or normal price

8Nismo9
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I called the DMV to find out how much it would be to register my 240.I dont know why but the car was in my brothers name when we bought it.I tell the lady its under my brothers name and hes going to give it to me. She says as a gift and i said yea since it was my car just under his name. She tells me its gonna be 407+15 for title transfer+taxs so im like really confused,i called again to see why it was 407(got a different lady) and she said thats just how much it is.First car,first time calling the DMV for this type of stuff so is that normal or am i geting charged to much?:confused:

BlckBeautyVTEC
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
if it hasn't been registered in a while ya they'll charge you a boat load

chibo
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Did the old owner leave the car unregistered for a long time?
edit; fuck, beaten

90hatchie
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
i paid 800 and i paid like 180ish but im in ny so it probly varies from state to state

drift freaq
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
sounds like it has not been registered in like 3-4 years. Thats about the right amount for back reg fees and penalties for that amount of time. People fail to realize even though they park the car in their driveway for 3-4 years and never drive it it still has to be registered or non op certificate filed to cancel reg concurring annual reg fees. Otherwise you not only have to pay the fees but you have to pay the penalties too and the state takes a lot in penalties.

8Nismo9
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Did the old owner leave the car unregistered for a long time?
edit; fuck, beaten
no we did i bought it because it was a good deal(ended not being,payed way to much oh well thats what i get for being an idiot)but i didnt have my lisence so we registered it was non-operational and it was like that for 5 months i think and counting

lucky7
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
ive never heard of this. it cost me like $200 WITH custom plates. tha car hadnt been registered for nearly 5 years.

Charlie
10-07-2008, 06:21 PM
My coupe was last registered in 06 and when I registered it like 3 months ago for 08~09 they charged me exactly $240 to update it current tags

8Nismo9
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
ive never heard of this. it cost me like $200 WITH custom plates. tha car hadnt been registered for nearly 5 years.

if thats not the case for me then is it because i said it was a gift then?or did the DMV simply just mess up some how

chibo
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Mine was $80 for 2 years. :rofl:

silviaguy240
10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
yea reg for 2 years for me is $80, and my title and transfer fee's were under $200. used to be you paid tax + tags and 2% of what you purchased the car for, but now since people would "sell" cars for like $500they changed to fixed values for certain cars. cali's wack.

Gnnr
10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't know how it works in your state, but many times its cheaper to claim that you paid like $200 for it and pay the taxes on that, than to pay what they charge you when its claimed as a Gift.

apex
10-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't know how it works in your state, but many times its cheaper to claim that you paid like $200 for it and pay the taxes on that, than to pay what they charge you when its claimed as a Gift.

^^ hes right say he sold it to you thats how it works here too

drift freaq
10-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Your in Michigan, not California, fees vary from state to state.
He is claiming that he non op'd it for 5 months but see they would not officially give him a non op on a car he purchased, till he titled it under his name.

Plus they will not a give out a non op on a car without outstanding fees.
So something is not adding up here and we are not getting the full story. Or perhaps the OP does not understand the whole DMV process himself?

8Nismo9
10-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Your in Michigan, not California, fees vary from state to state.
He is claiming that he non op'd it for 5 months but see they would not officially give him a non op on a car he purchased, till he titled it under his name.

Plus they will not a give out a non op on a car without outstanding fees.
So something is not adding up here and we are not getting the full story. Or perhaps the OP does not understand the whole DMV process himself?

i listed everything i knew about the car.Not sure if the previous owner had some bills on it he didnt tell me about.Also you could be right that i might just not understand whats going on haha.So im gonna take my brother or my freind down to the DMV with me to figure this all out.Thank you to all the gave me feedback

KA-T_240
10-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Do not tell them you got the car as a "gift" Tell them you bought the car for $500.

lucky7
10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
tell them your brother sold it to you for $1.

yes it IS legal. just write up a bill of sale, and have both parties (your brother and you) sign it.

legacy927
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't know about other states. I didn't show any bill of sale. I told them I bought the car for $500 bucks, so they taxed me by the 500. Came out to like 100 something for me. As for gifts, correct me if I'm wrong, DMV would tax you base on the value of the car and that would add up to your registeration fee.