PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS-F Coupe/Cabrio: Confirmation that Toyota has no balls...

OptionZero
10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Toyota never bothered shoving a turbo i6 or v8 into its first-gen IS, or even making a coupe body for it.

With second-gen, they gave us hope that they'd grow a pair with the IS-F. Sure, it didn't have a manual, and it probably was nowhere as fun dynamically as an M3 (or even 335i) or even a G35, but hey, it's a step.

Now they've regressed with THIS:

Lexus IS250C Coupe-Cabrio - per Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/03/video-lexus-is250c-folding-its-hard-top/)

Check out the profile shot! The humpback of notredame would point and laugh at this clunker!

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/06_lexus_is250c_live.jpg

It this it's just...horrible. Plain suckage.

It's bad enough they've once again sidestepped the enthusiast (or even semi-enthusiast market), but they've wasted a golden opportunity to make a statement in the process.

Toyota, here's a clue:

Win
V8
6-speed
three pedals
coupe
hardtop
less weight

Loss
auto
metal hardtop
more weight

Didn't the sheer FAILness of the SC430 give you a clue? A car that was meant to be a handsome open top pimpmobile that instead was ugly, BORING, and utterly uninspiring.

There's committee in Toyota that needs to commit seppuku.

EDIT:
Just realized this is a regular IS250, not the "F" model.
perhaps this does not preclude an IS-F coupe hardtop
not holding my breath though

C. Senor
10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
it's like the rs4 cabrio. the rs4 is pretty sick. the cab version.....pure non-hetero. that sucks. the is-f is pretty sick too.

LongGrain
10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
is it just me, or do the back wheels look like they are 15"s

and the rear 1/4 panels look endless...

Taniguchi_Is_#1
10-04-2008, 10:02 PM
first off, yes, it's pretty ugly. but. it's not an is-f. it's an is250c.

OptionZero
10-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Whoa, big point.
Original post fixed.

JeremyR
10-04-2008, 10:18 PM
toyota has always been full of fail.

1jz 2jz sure nice engines, but i really hate the front end of supras. ICK.

HyperTek
10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
toyota does not make sports cars for enthusiast drivers anymore...

muddafakka
10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Toyota ain't what they used to be that's for sure. There used to be a time when they had their shit together. Now, forget it. The present Toyota to me nowadays is synonymous with boring and dull. With their vanilla Camrys and Corollas. Aside from the Supras, AE86s, and SC300/400, I loved the Cressida and the old Land Cruisers. Their new stuff nowadays isn't marketed to any enthusiast whatsoever. Scion is a lame attempt and doesn't do anything for me and neither does Lexus. Yeah the IS-F is alright and so is the LS (aside from that lame ass park assist) but other than that, forget it.

That one Toyabaru coupe better not disappoint.

SexPanda
10-04-2008, 11:08 PM
yuck.

Massage length. Happy ending.

Modrified
10-04-2008, 11:12 PM
there was an article out before that toyota got out of the sport fast car demographic because cost effective was not really present there. that is why their sport line up got phase out last being the celica. they introduce scion to reach the young demographic. they are now targeting and very successful at family oriented cars/trucks/economical. ill try and find that article, but it was quite a while ago.

C. Senor
10-04-2008, 11:12 PM
oh wait.....it's a 250. then it's fail anyway. although the sedans are nice. but basically every small variance of coupes are non-hetero. only like sl's, super/exotic cars, and ultra-luxury cars look good as verts.

OptionZero
10-04-2008, 11:21 PM
there was an article out before that toyota got out of the sport fast car demographic because cost effective was not really present there. that is why their sport line up got phase out last being the celica. they introduce scion to reach the young demographic. they are now targeting and very successful at family oriented cars/trucks/economical. ill try and find that article, but it was quite a while ago.

I have no doubt that sports cars are "generally" not cost effective- I believe honda lost money on every single NSX made and sold.

But.

Who cares?

Toyota is making money hand over fist in so many other areas (raping Prius "drivers" is a profitable, full-time hobby). You can't kick some half-decent resources to make something fun just for the hell of it?

Does VW make a profit on the Veyron? Probably not! But they get to say they have a 1,000hp car in their corporate books.

There are ways to recoup the costs of "speed" - parts sharing, marketing, etc. Just gotta be creative and willing to take a risk.

Oh well. Being boring has made Toyota rich. More power to 'em, but no respect at all.

sephiroth99
10-05-2008, 11:22 AM
it reminds me of the solara convertible

http://i38.tinypic.com/a5ef7.jpg

drift freaq
10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Toyota is a great car company building quality cars. They have built quality cars since the mid 70's. The have never been a real Sports oriented sports car company. They have dipped their toes in it from time to time, with a few strokes of brilliance I might add.Though they have never been dedicated to this like some of the other Japanese car companies.
In essence this really does not surprise me.

Given Toyota's previous track record with Sports Cars. They have just never pushed beyond certain things and for the most part played the Sports car side rather conservatively.

Thats ok though Toyota builds what they build well. Albeit a bit boring but reliable. A car company has to look at what they do best and do it. Unless of course its only pick ups and SUV's LOL then there is a problem.

TurDz
10-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I have no doubt that sports cars are "generally" not cost effective- I believe honda lost money on every single NSX made and sold.

But.

Who cares?

Toyota is making money hand over fist in so many other areas (raping Prius "drivers" is a profitable, full-time hobby). You can't kick some half-decent resources to make something fun just for the hell of it?

They care because every little thing counts. It's a philosophy that Toyota has, that even the smallest improvement or cost savings adds up huge. Every wonder how much reducing one bolt from a vehicle translates into cost savings? Millions. This is what is keeping Toyota somewhat more afloat than the Big 3 in these tough times.

I agree with you though, Toyota now has no regard for the sports car enthusiast. And they never really did...
just check out any HPDE....Toyota is non-existant compared to Honda, Mazda, BMW, Audi, Ford.

OptionZero
10-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Well hopefully Toyota's ultra conservative, highly profitable philosophy doesn't water down Subaru after the majority ownership switch.

origin_s135
10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
i actually like the sc430. here's one with the wald executive kit:
http://www.midweek.com/images/mwrides/070608/070608_18.jpg

TurDz
10-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Well hopefully Toyota's ultra conservative, highly profitable philosophy doesn't water down Subaru after the majority ownership switch.

I hope so too. As much as I respect Toyota for their business practices, they have no passion for the enjoyment of the driver! vs. Mazda who tailors all of their vehicles with enjoyment and sport in mind.

adrians_s13
10-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I'd drive it...

.... if I liked men... :coolugh:

OptionZero
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I hope so too. As much as I respect Toyota for their business practices, they have no passion for the enjoyment of the driver! vs. Mazda who tailors all of their vehicles with enjoyment and sport in mind.

If Mazda could get the RX8 to be somewhat economical, i'd be buying one of those as an all around DD.

exitspeed
10-06-2008, 07:46 AM
This car is a major disappointment.

IIIXziuR
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
toyota does not make sports cars for enthusiast drivers anymore...

Agreed. What the F happened Toyota?
This car is terrible, I feel lame just looking at it.

luckvx
10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
is-f looks sick i dont know what that thing is

S14DB
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
it reminds me of the solara convertible

http://i38.tinypic.com/a5ef7.jpgThat's exactly what I was thinking...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/06_lexus_is250c_live.jpg

OptionZero
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Has anyone actually seen a Solara convertible on the road? I actually have not..

Though I can imagine the type of utterly incompetent, worthless tool that would own one and still have a modicum of self-respect left...

allntrlundrgrnd
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
is-f is pretty tight looking in person.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_isyOpINxsBqm.jzbkF/SIG=12pgs5q9r/EXP=1223432748/**http%3A//ancullen.rollaclub.com/rollaclub_news_articles/041207/IS-F.jpg

http://images.drom.ru/images/9708/9832/60975.jpg

that car looks like the illegitimate love child between a solara and accord

definitely lame/disappointment

muddafakka
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Has anyone actually seen a Solara convertible on the road? I actually have not..

Though I can imagine the type of utterly incompetent, worthless tool that would own one and still have a modicum of self-respect left...

They're fairly common around here. A girl at my high school had one.

Lately I've been seeing some dude in a white one all the time in my neighborhood.

Now I drive a 240SX vert but there's no way in hell you'd ever see me driving a Solara vert or coupe. 240 verts and S2000s are about the only non-exotic droptops that I like.

OptionZero
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
large FWD convertible = ultimate secretary's car

TurDz
10-07-2008, 12:33 AM
I have two people in my office who have (lease) IS-Fs... one took one to Thunderhill a few months back!

OptionZero
10-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Does Lexus/toyota void the warranty for track use?

exitspeed
10-07-2008, 07:46 AM

yea, they are pretty common around here too. A lady in my office has one...seriously no lie, she is the building secretary.

Z33dori
10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Toyota and Lexus are all about the bitches these days...

fuck em..... my liking for toyota ended in 1998.....

exitspeed
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Toyota and Lexus are all about the bitches these days...

fuck em..... my liking for toyota ended in 1998.....

IIRC they are all about gays too. Lexus has the highest gay owner percentage.

Z33dori
10-07-2008, 08:07 AM
ewwwwww...

lol

NISSAN FTW

exitspeed
10-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Without even knowing that Lexus/Toyota's look like gay ass cars.

The only car I would even consider buying from either brand, if I had the money would be the LS460.

S14DB
10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Does Lexus/toyota void the warranty for track use?

Never had a problem on the Scion side.

TurDz
10-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Would be dumb to void warranty on the IS-F huh. Not sure...