PDA

View Full Version : lowballer WTB 97-98 240SX SE in socal

DEADication
10-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm pushing hard to nab a '97 or '98 SE, but the prices are all jacked up here in SoCal. You might say I'm a bit desperate, but I'm not about to fork out over double what the dealership trade-in value is. Here's what I'm looking for:

1997/1998 240SX SE.
MT preferably.
100k mi-ish, willing to settle for higher mileage if the price justifies it.
Good condition minimum, willing to settle for Fair if the price justifies it.
Stock condition preferably, minor modifications okay.
Clean title, willing to settle for Salvaged title ONLY if the price justifies it.

So here's what I'm really looking as far as I'm able to pay up to. It's almost embarrassing how lowballer I'm going about this but that's how it is here:

$2,000-$2,500 - Non-SE, MT/AT, 180k+, Fair-Good condition, Stock, Salvaged
$2,500-$3,500 - Non-SE/SE, MT/AT, 140k-180k, Good condition, Stock/Minor Mods, Clean/Salvaged
$3,500-$4,500 - Non-SE/SE, MT/AT, 75k-130k, Good-Excellent condition, Stock/Minor Mods, Clean

Something like that. I don't know if I'm coming off as too anal about the pricing, or if I'm being ridiculous. Or both. But I'm really hoping that someone's got something out there. I plan to fully invest in this car if it's in the worst possible condition, not limited to swapping for a SR20DET or a manual conversion (if necessary), so high mileage really isn't an issue to me as long as the car runs decently and the price is fair for it.

I live in the San Gabriel area (626 area code.) Please no flames unless it's constructive criticism. I appreciate all responses.

(update: prices fixed. accidentally set the prices $1k too low)

luisgonz
10-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm pushing hard to nab a '97 or '98 SE, but the prices are all jacked up here in SoCal. You might say I'm a bit desperate, but I'm not about to fork out over double what the dealership trade-in value is. Here's what I'm looking for:

1997/1998 240SX SE.
MT preferably.
100k mi-ish, willing to settle for higher mileage if the price justifies it.
Good condition minimum, willing to settle for Fair if the price justifies it.
Stock condition preferably, minor modifications okay.
Clean title, willing to settle for Salvaged title ONLY if the price justifies it.

So here's what I'm really looking as far as I'm able to pay up to. It's almost embarrassing how lowballer I'm going about this but that's how it is here:

$1,000-$1,500 - Non-SE, MT/AT, 180k+, Fair-Good condition, Stock, Salvaged
$1,500-$2,500 - Non-SE/SE, MT/AT, 140k-180k, Good condition, Stock/Minor Mods, Clean/Salvaged
$2,500-$3,500 - Non-SE/SE, MT/AT, 75k-130k, Good-Excellent condition, Stock/Minor Mods, Clean

Something like that. I don't know if I'm coming off as too anal about the pricing, or if I'm being ridiculous. Or both. But I'm really hoping that someone's got something out there. I plan to fully invest in this car if it's in the worst possible condition, not limited to swapping for a SR20DET or a manual conversion (if necessary), so high mileage really isn't an issue to me as long as the car runs decently and the price is fair for it.

I live in the San Gabriel area (626 area code.) Please no flames unless it's constructive criticism. I appreciate all responses.

If you find one for that prices, Let me know I will give $1,000 over what you paid for. Good Luck

kdashy
10-04-2008, 01:04 PM
You're asking less than even blue book value.

Maybe you should save for an extra month so you'll actually have a chance to buy one.

As long as were asking for crazy things:
I'm looking for a house, I'm thinking three bedroom two bath, maybe a den and a guesthouse. I'm thinking $72 dollars would cover it.

berz
10-04-2008, 01:43 PM
well i have 97 kouki for you 7k and shes yours but gl and i want a icecream cone with 10,000 scoops of vanilla!!!!!!!!

DEADication
10-04-2008, 02:13 PM
i knew it was crazy to ask without getting bashed about it. maybe if i sell my dad's chevy nova i might get a little closer to affording it. a man can dream, i guess.

Addicted2Kouki
10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Your prices you are looking for is closer to 95/96 S14s.

DEADication
10-04-2008, 03:10 PM
seems it's probably not possible to get a clean s14 below $7,000, huh? guess at the end of it all i was stupid to shoot for it like that. i just wish i had my friends' luck in getting theirs for under $2,000. i just dont wanna be like those pompous rich asian kids rolling in mercedes benz or audi, but mommy and daddy bought it for them. i wanna earn it with my own blood, sweat, and tears, but i guess it's too early for me at this stage.

FRpilot
10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
i just wish i had my friends' luck in getting theirs for under $2,000. i wanna earn it with my own blood, sweat, and tears, but i guess it's too early for me at this stage.

if you want to earn it, then earn it. seems like you're just trying to get lucky and find one for super cheap below market value. that doesn't equate to earning something you really want.

people luck out on things in life sometimes like your friend, doesn't mean that you will. life's not fair.

good luck getting an s14, kouki at that, for that price. almost impossible with the drift tax.

DEADication
10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah, i am trying to get lucky. i guess it's just the appeal of so many ppl i know being able to nab a car like this in such a situation. even the person who backed out of selling me the engineless 240 was able to get another clean one for only $1,000.

so naturally, this strikes me as a peculiarity, and i definitely wanted to pursue it that way, since i'm in the process of securing a higher-paying job.

yeah, i wanna get it cheap, but that doesn't mean im not willing to put money into the car. it's just securing the car that's the issue right now.

beeracing s14
10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
your willingness to pay are prices for a nice s13.

rb25crazy
10-04-2008, 04:45 PM
how can you not want to look like an rich asian kid with an audi, bmw or whatever.... shit, if i was in that situation NO PROBLEM. you can call me whatever you want lol. who wants to earn anything anyway =/. it's more like WE HAVE TO lol.

racerx2k1
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I'll stop this now.