PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol at your local gas station

Matej
10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
All gas stations in Missouri now sell gasoline that contains 10% Ethanol.
I'm basically forced to run it, thanks to Midwestern corn-farming politics.

What bothers me most is the decrease in gas mileage, and how the state government just decided to do this behind people's backs.
Many owners of turbo'd cars of all makes have been seeing problems such as loss of power, offset timing, or detonation.

Personally I'd much rather pay more for regular gasoline, instead of having to put this junk in my gas tank.
I wish they'd at least give us an option at gas stations to choose between Ethanol and non-Ethanol gasoline, and I think all the pumps should contain a visible warning label stating that Ethanol will cause a decrease in gas mileage, and may cause potential harm to the vehicle's engine and fuel system, unless the vehicle has been specially equipped for it.

I plan on writing a letter to the governor and to the state representatives.

Are any other states doing this?
Please share your opinions.

Baka Sama
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Its been that way in georgia for a while. Theres a little sticker next to the pump that says "10% corn shit".

IIIXziuR
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
But Broseph you drive an old 240, does it matter?

Matej
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
But Broseph you drive an old 240, does it matter?
But I used to get awesome gas mileage. :(

Theres a little sticker next to the pump that says "10% corn shit".
Haha I should make stickers that say that and put them over the real ones. That'll show them.

Daniel.
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
I kinda wish I had more access to ethanol based fuels here in Cali.

Sucks that you don't have a choice though.

When E85 (I know, totally different than 10% ethanol based fuels) becomes more available, I'm definitely getting a tune and the fuel mods needed to run it.

It's the magic fuel.

SexPanda
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
yep since jan 01, 08, mandatory 10% ethanol in all MO gas. my 240 got shitty mpg after that too. Like, from 30 highway to 23 highway.

Think of it this way. Ethanol increases octane. So if you have 87 octane with 10% ethanol, you really have like 83 octane normal gas. So its shitty gas. I have to fill up with premium, even though with 93, your really getting 87 gas, and 10% moonshine. Its gay.

ryguy
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Hell, I thought it was always that way. My area has had E10 for as long as I can remember.

kevtrinh
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
matej ive been on 10% ethanol for a while now! dont be scared haha nothign will happen!

Matej
10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the confidence Kevin! So it won't eat a hole through my gas tank? I was so scared ya'llz.

I think I'm going to start filling up with premium though.

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Are there any BP gas stations around you? The BP here in Iowa have premium gas that doesn't have ethanol and that's what i use.

Matej
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
hite[r]abbit[x];2356293']Are there any BP gas stations around you? The BP here in Iowa have premium gas that doesn't have ethanol and that's what i use.
Yeah there are, I'll have to check them out, thanks for the tip. Does the premium there cost about the same as the Ethanol-mixed premium at other gas stations? I'm guessing it might be slightly more expensive? But I'd still prefer that.

By the way, whoever knows, does using premium vs. using regular also make any noticeable difference in gas mileage, or is it mainly only for performance?

SW20Racer
10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
nothing new in the south. i've ran 3-4 different cars on 10% over a couple of years now and no mechanical problems at all.

I've definitely had to make some tweaks to ensure better gas mileage though...

ryguy
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
By the way, whoever knows, does using premium vs. using regular also make any noticeable difference in gas mileage, or is it mainly only for performance?

I have always used mid grade, I get 1-2 highway mpg (I commute 60 miles round trip daily) more when I use mid grade instead of regular. I didn't see any increase from mid grade to 91 octane. I have never calculated the difference for around town driving, though.

And don't worry about corrosion or any of that, we have always had 10% ethanol here and my family has never had a car with fuel system problems.

HalveBlue
10-02-2008, 09:29 AM
...I get 1-2 highway mpg

:eek2: Damn, dude...I think it's time for a new vehicle. ;)

But yeah, 10% has been the norm for a while in CO and other places too.

S14DB
10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
And this is why Meat and Dairy products are so much more $$$. All that Ethanol is made from feed corn. Makes the gas cheaper but you don't see any of that. Pure profit. Then Corn Feed costs go up cause the Ethanol plants are paying top dollar and then it costs more to feed for Cows/Pigs/Chicken.

Matej
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Think of it this way. Ethanol increases octane. So if you have 87 octane with 10% ethanol, you really have like 83 octane normal gas. So its shitty gas. I have to fill up with premium, even though with 93, your really getting 87 gas, and 10% moonshine. Its gay.
Doesn't this classify as false advertising?
You're actually receiving significantly lower octane fuel than what you've selected to pay for.

Or do they now use higher octane gasoline that they mix the Ethanol into? That way with the Ethanol mixed in it would equal out to the correct octane grade.
I doubt they do that though.

240trainee
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Have had it in VA for a while now, def makes older cars run shittier.

But what are you gonna do? Just gotta grin and bear it.

stiizy
10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Broseph

Every time i hear that word i lol so hard hahaha.......

los_inc
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
i think BP runs 15% ethanol
my car hates BP gas even supreme makes my sohc run like shit
sunoco FTW!
-los

rb25_s13*CHUKI
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I kinda wish I had more access to ethanol based fuels here in Cali.

Sucks that you don't have a choice though.

When E85 (I know, totally different than 10% ethanol based fuels) becomes more available, I'm definitely getting a tune and the fuel mods needed to run it.

It's the magic fuel.

Meth Is the magic fuel.. Your evo9 will fly with that

Taniguchi_Is_#1
10-02-2008, 03:37 PM
i don't recall a time where i didn't fill up with 10% ethanol. it's been like that since they stopped using MTBE. so late 90's early 2000's?

Gnnr
10-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Here is the problem with Ethanol. Ethanol comes from Corn. A renewable resource. But we are being charged for it like regular gasoline, a non renewable resource. And its being treated like a product that has inelastic demand, which it isn't. In theory a gas station with ethanol gas should be cheaper since the demand for gasoline and ethanol should theoretically be different. But it isn't any cheaper than a gas station with just gas. The consumers are getting screwed.

SleepR 240sx
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Been that way here for a bit. I've always run 93 anyways though. I'm not going to sweat it considering there's nothing I can do about it.

Daniel.
10-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Meth Is the magic fuel.. Your evo9 will fly with that

91+meth is cool, but there have been a few evos blowing up running just straight 91+meth.

with meth id probably run 100oct+ at least. not cheap. :(

mRclARK1
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM
It's labeled here and most stations don't have any ethanol (and state it on the pump) in their premium gas.

ryguy
10-03-2008, 09:02 AM

You have it backwards. Ethanol is an octane BOOSTER. If you buy 87 octane gas, its like getting 89, and 91 is like 93, etc. Adding Ethanol makes the number higher than it actually is.

:eek2: Damn, dude...I think it's time for a new vehicle

lol I said i get 1-2 mpg better mileage with mid grade than regular.

S14DB
10-03-2008, 09:24 AM
You have it backwards. Ethanol is an octane BOOSTER. If you buy 87 octane gas, its like getting 89, and 91 is like 93, etc. Adding Ethanol makes the number higher than it actually is.

And lowers the BTU content...

luckvx
10-06-2008, 02:33 PM
what is the BTU conetent