PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Notebook gurus...

yudalicious
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking of getting a laptop, and I'm pretty set on a ThinkPad, specifically, the SL400 and the R400. The use will just be a laptop for graduate school, mostly surfing the net, word processing, playing some movies and music once inawhile. What I'm looking for is a sturdy, high quality laptop that can last 4 or 5 years. I'm not a klutz, but I also don't handle laptops like babies. I don't need alot of functions/features. I don't really play computer games (outside of Starcraft) and I'm not looking for an media center. That said, I've done some research and it seems like the ThinkPads are hands down the most sturdy, quality notebooks out there. However, I've also read that the SL (their newest line) isn't as sturdy and more plasticky than other ThinkPads, so I'm kinda leaning towards the R400. Anyone with experience with ThinkPads or with these specific models pelase chime in, thanks!

Gnnr
09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
The T and R series are good. I don't know about this SL stuff. Was that around when IBM owned the ThinkPad? It may be a Lenovo thing.

I found a super sturdy notebook for a friend recently, it was a HP 530. It barely had any flex to it, less than a T series I was looking at the same day.

yudalicious
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
The T and R series are good. I don't know about this SL stuff. Was that around when IBM owned the ThinkPad? It may be a Lenovo thing.

I found a super sturdy notebook for a friend recently, it was a HP 530. It barely had any flex to it, less than a T series I was looking at the same day.

I think the SL is Lenovo thing and it's new compared to the other stuff. A review I read did say it seemed to have more plastic components than other Thinkpads and it had more flex. I think I'm gonna try to move away from HP and other stuff and try either the ThinkPad (most likely) or one of the new Sony VAIOs (priced very competitively, but seems like the selling point is style, and quality reviews seem to be generally good, but not as good as ThinkPads in terms of build and longevity).

MegasquirtCA
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Toshiba Satellite is among the top favorite notebooks that online reviewing firms picked. Might look into that or get a Hummer Notebook.

http://prohardver.hu/dl/rev/2005-09/839/ph_hummer1.jpg

yudalicious
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Toshiba Satellite is among the top favorite notebooks that online reviewing firms picked. Might look into that or get a Hummer Notebook.

http://prohardver.hu/dl/rev/2005-09/839/ph_hummer1.jpg

Thanks. I never considered a Toshiba, I'll look them up. Basically it seems like what I want, a business type laptop.

edit: lol hummer laptop

edit 2: I called lenovo, I tihnk I'm actually gonna go w/ the T series, According to the rep, the T series has a titanium frame whereas the R and SL have plastic frames. And with the sale on their site, its not at all expensive.

Dutchmalmiss
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Anyone have any experiences with the new netbooks coming out? I'm personally looking at the ASUS Eee PC 1000H 160G, and at $480, it looks to be the best bang for the buck mini-laptop out there. Discuss.

rainier
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
a homie has the asus 701. i like it. he had xp running for a while and went back to linux. it ran pretty fast, all his shit was stored on a memory card and he upgraded the memory to 2gb.

i'd get one. then id touch screen it.

Gnnr
09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
edit 2: I called lenovo, I tihnk I'm actually gonna go w/ the T series, According to the rep, the T series has a titanium frame whereas the R and SL have plastic frames. And with the sale on their site, its not at all expensive.

Try and see if this deal still works, you may get a big discount. If not look for some new coupon codes, there is always some.

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/12272)

yudalicious
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Try and see if this deal still works, you may get a big discount. If not look for some new coupon codes, there is always some.

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/12272)

Thanks. That deal is dead though. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the T series, just for the durability factor (as reported by Lenovo's rep), but if anyone has experience with these new ThinkPads let me know!

SochBAT
10-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Anyone have any experiences with the new netbooks coming out? I'm personally looking at the ASUS Eee PC 1000H 160G, and at $480, it looks to be the best bang for the buck mini-laptop out there. Discuss.

my buddy has the 1000h, and its amazing.

Its damn zippy for what its worth, but it has that damn 1g ram cap.

I seriously love it, its portable as shit, meant for being on the go.

I'd buy one.

MWAVE.com (which is local to us) has em for pickup for that price.

BustedS13
10-01-2008, 12:22 AM
i love thinkpads. best laptops out there, hands down. you'd be hard pressed to go wrong.

miucus
10-01-2008, 01:30 AM
toshiba satellite laptops suck. stay away. they have many problems. look it up on google...from overheating, to black screens, hardware failure and much more..

SoguRacing
10-01-2008, 01:34 AM
go with the thinkpad/lenovo. My dad works for IBM and he gets a new laptop from work every 2 years or so and nothing goes wrong with them. they have by far the best feeling keyboards out there. I cheaped out and got an Acer. I dont game at all and this suits me just fine but like others said "you can't go wrong with a ThinkPad"

ALTRNTV
10-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I hate Toshiba Satellites. I would never get another one. They're
not built that great, and the ac adapter connection always fucks
up and you have to wiggle it to get the battery to charge. So annoying.

Hope you don't mind me thread-jacking, but how do you guys feel
about the Macbooks? I'm thinking of picking up the 13" Macbook
next week, for $1099 through Apple.

I sort of want personal input, not just what you heard. :)

BustedS13
10-01-2008, 01:54 AM

hey, it took a full 14 posts before somebody brought up adult lincoln logs :D

if you're going to buy My First 'Puter, at least wait until the next update, it should be soon

NO MOAR CRAPPLE IN THIS THREAD PLZ

miucus
10-01-2008, 02:12 AM
I hate Toshiba Satellites. I would never get another one. They're
not built that great, and the ac adapter connection always fucks
up and you have to wiggle it to get the battery to charge. So annoying.

yupp, i regret buying mine. but i bought it on black friday for cheap as hell so i guess i cant complain that much..

yudalicious
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM

I sort of want personal input, not just what you heard. :)

get in the thread jacking line, can't you see that Dutch came before you?! haha seriously thanks for the inputs, I'm gonna get the thinkpad t400, I declare this thread open for other computer related questions.