PDA

View Full Version : shop/garage organization

japslapsilvia
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
im tryin to get my garage organized and need some advise. i have a 22'x22' garage in my back yard that i built and am needing some ideas for organization, ie placement of equipment in a logical manor.

here is what i have 3 craftsman rolling cabnets, 2 26" roller/chest and 1 40" roller. 1 20ton shop press, engine hoist, 20gallon parts washer, 1 mig welder, 1 stick welder, 33gal compressor, bench grinder, oxy/acetelon torch, an engine stand, 2 floor jacks, 3pair of jack stands

im also building a metal work table, running power and finishing interior walls/insulation, and plumbing air.
right now its in a complete MESS, and im about to start building the head on my motor and would like to make sure that everthing is accessable.

here are a few pics of the mess.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i7/japslapsilvia/DSC00212.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i7/japslapsilvia/DSC00213.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i7/japslapsilvia/DSC00235.jpg

anyone have any ideas of logical placement of equipment, tool boxes, parts etc?

THANKS!!:hsdance:

Ben G
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
looks good to mee hahaha

tool boxes back right grinders and presses anything in that catagory back right welders in the front left parts washer somewhere that fits

fuck dude why cant you do this your self

japslapsilvia
09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
looks good to mee hahaha

tool boxes back right grinders and presses anything in that catagory back right welders in the front left parts washer somewhere that fits

fuck dude why cant you do this your self

i have no clue....too much going on....when i try to get shit organized i get side tracked b/c i found something that i been looking for...

plus it seems that i always put shit in front of shit and i cant get to anything....its begnning to drive me nuts....one side has my 240 and the other has all the parts for the 240 in a big pile :smash: and tools eveywhere..

BustedS13
09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
somebody's bragging on their gear :)

i want that harbor freight floor press though, i've just got the tabletop one :\

ryguy
09-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Put everything in the driveway and put it back piece by piece, i would think that would help.

SochBAT
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
For your walls, pick up some slotted board.

I think thats the name. Its just regular board with dick loads of slots in em so you can make your own shelves as needed.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/200541500/slot_board.summ.jpg

or the ones with holes.

driftking777
09-30-2008, 04:42 PM
build a bigger garage ;)...j/k (everything looks cleaner in a big garage.)

i however would probably somehow build some shelves have two shelves on the back wall that go all the way across.put all your loose extra shit there. done and done.

japslapsilvia
09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
build a bigger garage ;)...j/k (everything looks cleaner in a big garage.)

i however would probably somehow build some shelves have two shelves on the back wall that go all the way across.put all your loose extra shit there. done and done.

im so gonna do this!! im thinking about taking one wall down and extending it another 10ft. only problem is that the more space i have the more junk gets put in there.

im deff gonna have to add some shelves and i'v started haning shit from the celling...

THANKS GUYS!!:bigok:

TheWolf
09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Make a rolling welding cart. like a 4' tall work surface on castors with a shelf underneath for the machines. put both mig and stick in it. make brackets to hold the cables etc. also put the torch and bottle on it. now you can roll over and weld on the car or work on a project and you don't have leads everywhere.

have two work tables against the wall. I'm assuming that you want to be able to pull a car in. 22x22 you'll want a folding engine hoist. put your tools in a central location like say along the back wall. have one 8' long table on the left, center wall tool chests and right of the wall another 8' table. this will allow one to have a vice mounted and room to get around it. get one or two roll carts for when your working on the car and you are doing something small.

I also put a "parking space" on my floor in my shop. I epoxy coated the area I'd work on a car in. The avg parking spaace is 8.5" wide by 16" Long. Lay that out with tape on the floor and paint it. This also defines your work area.

driftking777
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
^^i like space to roll around with my carts and shit, i like atleast 5 ft on each side of my cars to work. plus it allows me to throw stuff without worrying about it coming back and hitting my car :D

(yes i have a "larger" garage.)

ryguy
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
im so gonna do this!! im thinking about taking one wall down and extending it another 10ft. only problem is that the more space i have the more junk gets put in there.

im deff gonna have to add some shelves and i'v started haning shit from the celling...

THANKS GUYS!!:bigok:

We are doing this right now. We tore down our old garage and they're building a new one that is 2 feet wider and 10 feet longer. (so technically 3 1/2 cars) Its gonna be hella sweet, we are turning the back into a shop that a car can be dollied into.

MELLO*SOS
10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Put everything in the driveway and put it back piece by piece, i would think that would help.

Seriously, this is the best way to do it. I've do this every 6-8 months since I can't seem to learn to put stuff away when I'm done with it.......... LOL

Walperstyle
10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
man I should take a pic of my garage.

I got a whole shelf along one wall. About 1.5 feet deep. Really helps for putting stuff out of the way. Thats what I would do on your wall with your tool boxes. Make a shelf that has a 'nook' for the tool boxes, but a place where you could store ontop, and around them the full lenght of the garage.

MELLO*SOS
10-30-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm too lazy to look; do we have a garage pic thread? Would be nice to see how others organize all their car stuff.

DrtyRat
10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm too lazy to look; do we have a garage pic thread? Would be nice to see how others organize all their car stuff.
I know there's a "show your work space" thread(or something along those lines), that some people posted there shops/garages/driveways in, so if someone could find it, it would be a good bump.

japslapsilvia
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I know there's a "show your work space" thread(or something along those lines), that some people posted there shops/garages/driveways in, so if someone could find it, it would be a good bump.

i searched for a while and didnt find anything, i would love to see how other have stuff organized, i actually purchased some more equipment and i am gonna try and start to get organized this weekend, i think that i dont have enough space for all the tool/equipment that i have, and am contemplating extending my shop another 10', so total would be 30'x20'.