PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or.........?

tnord
01-19-2003, 04:39 PM
is it just me or are there an alarming number of people who seem to buy any, and i do mean ANY 240 they can get their hands on without really checking the car out. i say this because i have noticed a lot of threads that go something like this

"hi i'm a neWB and i just bought a 240, it's mAd tYtE yO! way better than those ass dragging civics. anyway, i have such and such problem but i don't know what's causing it. please tell me what the answer is, but i don't want an expensive answer cause i don't have much $$$."

well then einstein, maybe you shoulda had that problem checked out BEFORE you bought the car. and even if you didn't notice it then, perhaps you should have the car checked before you buy it, because it is used ya know.

people are dumb.

fodive
01-19-2003, 04:41 PM
agreed

Kid Zelda
01-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Well, for most S13's, since the car can be 10-14 years old , a lot of parts need to be replaced, some peopledo not take that into account when buying the car.

I've replaced MANY parts on my S13. it adds up $$$ .
When buying a used car, expect to replace parts.

DSC
01-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Most of these guys sound like they still live with their parents (not knocking, i do too) so what I don't understand is why they didn't get any advice from them or from their friends about how to buy a car.

I posted here, talked to friends and my parents about the car. Then took it to a personally trusted mechanic to have it inspected. Then, I bought it. I should have run the VIN too but didn't because it was in such good shape.

AKADriver
01-19-2003, 05:02 PM
When I bought my S13 it came with a stack of maintenance records from the previous owner. No worries there. This car is a mechanical creampuff.

I've had to remind a lot of people, when they're considering cars to buy... S13s are a blast, but they're 10-15 years old. Be very critical... OVERcritical of the mechanical condition or expensive things can break that you're not prepared for. It's a nice thought to buy a cheap car with a tired engine with intents to swap it out, but make sure you've got the money and skills to do so before the car bites you in the ass.

KiDyNomiTe
01-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Hmm I guess there is some good out of me not buying a car yet, it's been a while since i wanted a 240, and I mean a WHHHIIIIILLLLEEEE.:(

AceInHole
01-19-2003, 05:42 PM
hey guys. i just put my turbo in and now i get this rattling sound. it stops everytime i hold the driver's side foglight, and when i tighten the mounting bolt on it it stops for a while then comes back. please tell me i didn't blow up my engine because i spent all my money paying the exhaust shop to fix my leaking gasket. thanks. :rolleyes:

Bbandit
01-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by AceInHole
hey guys. i just put my turbo in and now i get this rattling sound. it stops everytime i hold the driver's side foglight, and when i tighten the mounting bolt on it it stops for a while then comes back. please tell me i didn't blow up my engine because i spent all my money paying the exhaust shop to fix my leaking gasket. thanks. :rolleyes:

oh i know how you can fix that...
just put on a set of altezzas tail lights and you'll be fine:rolleyes:

SilviaDriver
01-19-2003, 05:53 PM
agreed. ive noticed that on this forum and a couple of other forums. dont forget this question

"i just got a 240, and i was lookin to put a s15 engine in it or mayb even a RB26!! can i get some info on how to do this step by step?..also wondering how much it would cost for the engine, shipping and labor?. also i saw this s15 conversion on a 240 on import tuner and was wondering where do i buy the kit? or do you know whats required for the swap? how much would it cost total for all of these? thanks in advance"

getting sick of it. i know most people are buying it cuz they saw it in a magazine.

s14vaxlr8
01-19-2003, 06:46 PM
ive gotten over 50 emails from kids ranging from freshalloy, nico, club240 zilvia and 240forums asking about the s14mc change, i just copy one responce and past...oh well

96SEChick
01-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by s14vaxlr8
ive gotten over 50 emails from kids ranging from freshalloy, nico, club240 zilvia and 240forums asking about the s14mc change, i just copy one responce and past...oh well

LMAO. That's what we all should do. Start our own FAQ on our computers and when we see a certain question, we can just copy and paste our replies.

Also, on topics that have been covered MANY, MANY times, we could just have a list of the post names we can copy & paste to show that the person really DID NOT search, when they said they did & got no results.

christopher
01-19-2003, 07:43 PM
lol..

I think this might also relate to the fact that so many newer owners are having trouble finding a 240sx for sale anywhere. In the end, they might not be able to buy from out of state or something like that and be limited to the questionable ones in their city. I know that when I found mine (Minneapolis,) I had to search for about three months. I was patient and found one in decent, not perfect, shape. In the mean time I only found crap, automatics, rusted, or badly repaired salvage jobs. If I had had money burning a hole in my pocket at the time who knows what sort of car I would have bought. Now that these cars are so trendy, they are getting harder to find.

That is my crackpot theory.
:)

240 2NR
01-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Word, I know I bought mine and have since spent a lot of money "fixing" it. First it was the taillights. They still worked, but I knew they were eventually going to fail (stupid pieces of ****) so I had to buy some from japan. Then it was my exhaust. It couldn't have had more than 3 years of service left so I bought a new one, but bigger, so it should last longer. Then my springs and shocks which hadn't failed yet had to go for some new koni's and whiteline's and while I was under the car did the sway bars too. Then I had to buy new wheels, cause the old wheels and tires were getting too small. Just recently the shifter which showed no signs of failure was replaced with a B&M. Man these old cars are expsive to maintain.;)

Actually I have had to do some routine maintenance. The front tie rod end boots failed and had to be replaced. The spark plugs ans wires were replaced along with the cap and rotor. Had to replace the trans fluidand of course the oil and fliters. All these were pretty much assumed costs of ownership though and were on what's probably one of the cleanest S13 out there. The previous owner babied it and so am I. So far it has been trouble free.

The one thing I doubt many people check is the water level in their battery. I know that caught me by surprise when my dad asked if I had and sure enough it was low. So if you don't have a maintenance free one, go check tonight.

Natty
01-19-2003, 08:26 PM
I bought a decent one. Come on though, it is a 13 year old car. Stuff will break and I will fix it. I can live with that *shrug* I paid for it and I have the cash to fix it.

The real problem is when people buy the real **** boxes and then expect mommy and daddy to fix it up. They are getting into trouble. Or the ones with false dreams of a "SR20DET with 350hp and a silvia conversion," when they spend every last dime on a beat up pig face with 200,000 miles and they can't afford to pay for it.

(I have nothign against 200,000 mile SOHC S13's)

Jeff

-aishiteru-
01-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Wait a minute, you mean you are actually supposed to check out the car for problems BEFORE you buy it? :confused:

When I checked out my car, it had absolutely no problems. After a month or so... little things started to break and mess up. It's understandable considering the age. Just gives me stuff to work on. :)

Nismo240SX
01-19-2003, 09:12 PM
its pretty bad when you're the only one in town with a 240, and then some 30 year old woman that works at mc'donalds buys a 240. decides her stock hubcaps aren't enough, goes and buys the rim look alike chrome wall-mart deals. then she gets a aluminum wing... slaps it on the back... then she put yellow graphics up and down the sides of the poor red 240. i'm going to tell her its ugly. i'm even going to take a pic of it and post it on here.. just to get you guys' reaction... and then print it out and show her.

96SEChick
01-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Nismo240SX
its pretty bad when you're the only one in town with a 240, and then some 30 year old woman that works at mc'donalds buys a 240. decides her stock hubcaps aren't enough, goes and buys the rim look alike chrome wall-mart deals. then she gets a aluminum wing... slaps it on the back... then she put yellow graphics up and down the sides of the poor red 240. i'm going to tell her its ugly. i'm even going to take a pic of it and post it on here.. just to get you guys' reaction... and then print it out and show her.

The worst hubcaps are the ones that make it look like you have cross-drilled rotors. Those are funking hideous.

I also need to take a pic of some of the 240SX's around Tulsa. Some of them have been beaten around the block, and a few are totally bling-blinged-out. :mad:

--Lauren

-aishiteru-
01-19-2003, 09:16 PM
30 yr old women who work at mcdonalds with riced out 240s need love too! :(

SimpleS14
01-19-2003, 11:07 PM
I agree.

But there are some people that just want to have to car to say that they own one. There are also some people out there that want the cheapest route out of a problem....which can involve "ghetto rigging".

As for getting advice......not all people have a good source to go to, nor do they know how to find one. Most of the people I know are like "a car is a car.......just as long as it runs your good". As for my dad...well.....if I took his advice I would be driving around in a Civic or Camry.

whateverjames
01-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 96SEChick
The worst hubcaps are the ones that make it look like you have cross-drilled rotors. Those are funking hideous.

my friend had those on his cavalier :o what's even worse is while we were bowling, someone decided those hubcaps would look nicer on their car :rolleyes: i couldn't help but laugh. he never replaced them, and that's a good thing.

blaqsilvia
01-19-2003, 11:16 PM
easy solution- buy an s14 with looowww miles ;) or a new s15-- i wish - hehe

BRB240
01-19-2003, 11:37 PM
I have been wanting a 240 for almost a year... I haven't got one because I have not been able to afford one as a second car. But now I can. For the past couple of months I have been searching for my perfect 240... '91-'93 Coupe 5spd with less than 75,000 miles on it(I have never owned a car with less than 110,000 miles and so I want one) Black or Silver... I have found a few and even though they were 1500 or more miles away I was willing to fly there to buy it and drive back. Why would I do this? Because about a year back I happened to drive a '89 240, this car was beat to crap(poor thing) but still ran fine and handled great. That short drive made me fall in luv with the 240 and now that I can afford one I have to have one... But then everytime I call to make an inquiry and get the Vin to run a carfax... Its been sold... Then I just imagine the fool that bought it putting neon and chrome on it :eek: ... The 240 is one of the best cars I have ever been in(and remember i drove a s*tty one) and it pisses me off whenever I see one f'ed by some guy that thinks F&F is the greatest movie ever.

Anyways I realise that I am a little off topic but tnord's orig post about how many ppl are buying these cars is ridiculous got me postin....

I need a 240...

Peace

christopher
01-19-2003, 11:50 PM
brb240, I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing. It hurts now but afterwards it will be all better
:cool:

Grant
01-19-2003, 11:54 PM
"Hey guys I think my 240 is too slow. I dont wanna spend too much money modding it because I'm too cheap and the car is expensve to mod and I want my car to hold its value so I'm going to sell it for an ASS DRAGGING RSX"

-TNord..

shut up you whore!:p

STOP COMPLAINING.

this belongs in off topic by the way.. :D

BRB240
01-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Heh Thnx Chris!!!

Whenever I get a 240 I can gaurantee that I ain't gonna waste it... I have some bad @$$ plans for it!!!

christopher
01-20-2003, 12:06 AM
sweet...