PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET into a Mazda Miata?

kazuo
01-17-2003, 01:13 AM
SO my friend has a '91 hardtop Miata, and he wants to drop a SR into the damn thing. I've heard that its been done before, but I Can't really recall where I heard it.. a friend of mine from work also says its been done.

Does anyone happen to know of some website or something where someone has a Miata with a SR? Better yet, if it can/has be(en) done, does anyone know of a shop that'll do the swap? Preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area, as that's where we reside...

Anyways, thanks for looking. ;)

misnomer
01-17-2003, 03:31 AM
Never heard of it before. . . Is that miata an FF or FR?

I'm not big on miatas, but I wouldn't expect this to be a common swap. Search on google, dood :P

TheTimanator
01-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Do a search or something. If its been done, I'm sure you'll find something out there.

The miata is FR. You should suggest swapping in a 13b. It's been done before, but its very rare. ultra light car + ultra light high power engine= ultimate miata :D

AKADriver
01-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Why not turbocharge the Miata engine?

It's much, much, much pore popular and practical to do that.

HippoSleek
01-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Okay, stats- how much lighter IS a 13b? (smaller displacement doesn't always mean lighter). I hear from RX7 owners that the damb engines are as heavy as a conventional engine, but from other that they are light.

Popular Miata upgrades:
- Flyin' Miata (a/k/a turbo the BP or B6)
- Monster Miata (he he 350 power)

I could see the SR to be different, but I can't say as I understand it. Either of the other "upgrades" will give you as much or more power with a proven history of working.

kazuo
01-17-2003, 04:50 PM
I had already brought up the idea of swapping a rotary into the car, but he's not big on rotaries (he's eating up all the "rotaries break all the time" stuff), and I have a friend who recently bought a SR and pussed out on doing the swap, so my other friend with the Miata was just gonna buy the SR off him.

In any case, yeah, I already checked google, and I didn't find anything. I'm not having much luck finding anything on a SR-powered Miata anywhere else.

Thanks for the hints though. :P :)

live2drift2live
01-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Tell your friend to screw that crap and put a 89-93 Mustang 5.0 351 or 368 Engine in it. It has been done and it will destroy any car and maybe his. It is a drop in but it needs a new hood and you have to supercharger it. I was at a show and some guy had a 800HP miata and he had to reinforce the frame from twisting. Its sick and its like 5-7K for the transplant.Do that and laugh all the way down the 1/4mile
JBM

MikeFD3S
01-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Miatas are awesome cars...great handlers

I'm sure an SR20 swap can be done, i'm not sure why though... turbo options from Flying Miata should provide more than enough power.

13b's arent really that much lighter than conventional engines. They are just a hell of a lot smaller, allowing for optimum engine placement.

live2drift2live
01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Yeah they are great handlers I have one

NismoGear5
01-21-2003, 10:03 PM
yeah I've seen it done. It hauled hahaha :D

it was on some old Aussie import video series.