PDA

View Full Version : Long term car storage in a lot............

NervGS
09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to be storing my Corolla in a open lot for about a year... I'm wondering if you guys have any tips or anything you can share on what I should and shouldn't do?

The car is going to be stored in an RV lot - so that means no garage type luxury, just an open area, where the sun/heat/cold/rain can hit my car all day long.... I'm not going to complain, it's free.

The car has an uncracked dash I'm worried about, from what I was told was that it was mostly UV rays and not heat that causes them to crack and warp, is this true? I'll be purchasing a tarp or two to cover up the car initially (the hatch leaks in one spot during rain, and the sunroof has a nice rust hole), and then be buying a with a waterproof cover. Can I leave the car windows open? Will this help with ventilation? Or will I just be inviting the car to potential water if the tarp and so callled "waterproof" car cover fails.

Anything else I missed?

Thanks!

-glenn

90KAcoupe
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
i wouldnt store it out side... cause it will end up GONE.. im sorry but if its and AE86 and it sits in a open lot for a year.. ur asking for it..

leaving the windows down sounds retarted.. thats just like writing FREE on the car...

RiversideS13
09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
mice will attack your car, chew out your rubbers. all the little animal will try to live in your engine bay

heat will crack the tire and maybe weather seal. and maybe your dash will cracked as well.

do not leave your window open because you dont want to have a insect lab in your corolla. unless you are curious what is Ecology mean.

if i were you i would park at some trusted friend or relative's house/garage. or maybe pay more to get a storage room

keep in mind that a old car with good condition = classic. a car with lot of damage and wear = piece of crap

touge monster
09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
you should consider selling it, or leaving it with a friend you can trust.

IIIXziuR
09-16-2008, 06:39 AM
If you can only store it outside, I think investing in a good quality car cover would make sense as well as preventing critters (bugs, mice, birds,etc) from getting into the car and making a home out of it. Maybe keeping some mothballs inside or something of that sort.

I left a car outdoors over a fall+winter uncovered and when I went to go work on it again, there was a family of mice living in it...not fun to deal with.

S14DB
09-16-2008, 07:05 AM
- Drain the tank and remove the fuel pump. Seal the pump in a ziplock or other sealed container. Seal the tank back up if it's a steel tank.
- Put about 1oz. of oil in each cylinder though the spark plug holes. Re-install spark plugs and boots.
- Loosen the accessory belts.
- Insert Tennis ball or other ball into exhaust to seal off. Seal off intake in a similar fashion. plastic tarp fragment held with a hose clamp works also.
- Put a container of Damp Rid or other desiccant on the floor. Inspect/drain according to package.
- Windows up.
- Silver reflective sun shade in front windshield. If you can wedge some on the sides and rear it would help.
- High quality cover that breaths. Like a Noah. Plastic Tarp will hold moisture on the paint and metal. Quality cover will keep water off and let the moisture to evaporate.

Rayne
09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Adding to the above:
- Disconnect the battery

Agent240sx
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
a GOOD car cover will solve half the problems your concerned about, the sun won't penetrate the cover (if you get a good one) thus your dash, paint rubber etc will still remain in very good shape.

Interior wise make sure any drain plugs etc in the trunk area are covered to not allow critters to get in, moth balls and also an open box or 2 of baking powder (to absorb moisture) to keep everything nice and dry incase any moisture builds up causing any mold (yes it happens). Alot of us in Canada store our cars for long periods at a time due to harsh Canadian winters and the large amount of salt we use to protect our beloved cars.

Then the obvious stuff like disconnecting the battery.

ZenkiGTS
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
some uhaul's have rv storage that's inside.... try to get one of those...

sub9lulu
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
- Drain the tank and remove the fuel pump. Seal the pump in a ziplock or other sealed container. Seal the tank back up if it's a steel tank.

instead of draining u can fill the tank ALL THE WAY up prevent moisture built up

sidewaysil80
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
but then you'll have to drain it a year later because it will be full of bad gas.

HyperTek
09-16-2008, 11:13 AM
s14db's tips sound good.. id also ad some mothballs inside the interior, should help with bugs.. maybe some arm and hammer too

edit: already mentioned above sorry

twistedsymphony
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM
If it's only sitting for a year, it's not that bad...
Gas stabilizer in a full tank a moisture collector hanging somewhere in the interior and a good car cover and you're good.

the biggest problem is probably rodents. I've had cars in storage where they made a home in the trunk, and left little droppings everywhere :bash:

Another thing no one else has mentioned is you should give the thing a REALLY good wash and wax before putting it up, a dirty car with a car cover = scratches and if it's bad... rust

The ultimate is a car capsule: CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover (http://www.carcapsule.com/)
basically with that you either drain the tank or throw in some stabilizer and then not even worry about anything else.

I've got a friend with a classic car in one of those things, it's been in there every winter for about 10 years now, it's a clear capsule and the thing looks brand new every time he takes it out.

SimpleS14
09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
If it's only sitting for a year, it's not that bad...
Gas stabilizer in a full tank a moisture collector hanging somewhere in the interior and a good car cover and you're good.

the biggest problem is probably rodents. I've had cars in storage where they made a home in the trunk, and left little droppings everywhere :bash:

Another thing no one else has mentioned is you should give the thing a REALLY good wash and wax before putting it up, a dirty car with a car cover = scratches and if it's bad... rust

The ultimate is a car capsule: CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover (http://www.carcapsule.com/)
basically with that you either drain the tank or throw in some stabilizer and then not even worry about anything else.

I've got a friend with a classic car in one of those things, it's been in there every winter for about 10 years now, it's a clear capsule and the thing looks brand new every time he takes it out.

I never knew that existed. Thanks for that bit of information. :bigok:

NervGS
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys!

I drove the car up there today, it's about a 30 mile drive from where I am, and the waterpump is broke, so it's pretty scary driving it up. It's pretty much on it's last legs, and I don't have time to work on it unfortunately.

I'll be going up there in a few days to throw some mothballs and moisturizer in there... Speaking of which, with the Arm and Hammer stuff, would I just open the box up and leave it in the car as so, or actually sprinkle it inside the car?

-glenn

S14DB
09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Arm and Hammer only lasts 30 days a box and is really only for odor. Get damp rid.

D A M P R I D - The Original Non-Electric Moisture Absorber (http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=173071)

sub9lulu
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Arm and Hammer only lasts 30 days a box and is really only for odor. Get damp rid.

D A M P R I D - The Original Non-Electric Moisture Absorber (http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=173071)

that aint gonna last more than 2 months either.

S14DB
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
that aint gonna last more than 2 months either.

in a 1,000sq/ft area. will last 6 months in a car. Just has to go by and drain it.