PDA

View Full Version : I thought I better pass this on

red240ne
01-11-2003, 09:54 PM
This was posted on 240sx.org first by a moderator, and I thought we should pass this around to as many people as possible. It's disgusting. Did anyone hear on the news about the dog that was shot by a police officer? Well, a family was pulled over, and one bye one they were forced to get out of the car. When the dog saw everyone else get out, he decided he would see what was going on. When he got out, he walked around wagging his tail, and started to approach the officer. The officer must have been intimidated, because he pulled his shotgun and murdered the helpless dog. The officer of course did not apologize for his actions, and was not prosecuted. A petition has been started to bring charges against the officer. The petition is here (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?patton03&1) . Please take 25 seconds out of your life to sign it. If you didn't like my story, it can be viewed on all of the national news websites.

AKADriver
01-11-2003, 10:06 PM
And this has what to do with the 240SX?

Mark & Irena
01-11-2003, 10:21 PM
No poop. Read the guidelines ;).

Natty
01-11-2003, 10:33 PM
I live in Cookeville. The cops are normally cool, they even watch us autocross, so this is kind of surprising.
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB34&Number=1787085&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
I don't know enough to sign a petition though.
Jeff

NZO
01-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Maybe if we were all there to witness the incident we could pass judgement. But we werent. This second, third, fourth, fifth hand account stuff really doesnt fly with me. Im sure he had a valid reason to do what he did.

blaqsilvia
01-11-2003, 10:53 PM
I saw stuff about this on TV-- how horrible-- it pisses me off so much to see prick cops like that-- oh well.. what are you gonna do.. :mad:

Police shoots family dog dead at traffic stop (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030109/ap_on_re_us/dog_shot_1)

Lawsuit planned for incident (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030110/ap_on_re_us/dog_shot_1)

Man wants punishment for dog shooting (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030110/ap_on_re_us/dog_shot_2)

red240ne
01-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys, I haven't posted here in a while, so I didn't know for sure where to put it. Looks like you guys changed it to the vbulletin format since I was last here. Now all of the 240 forums look alike, except for freshalloy.

NZO
01-12-2003, 01:47 AM
What people fail to realize is that sometimes there are fuxed up situations. This doesnt mean someone is to blame! We are so quick to assign blame and judgement these days, people just cant accept that sh!t happens anymore...

negular
01-12-2003, 12:28 PM
nah, cops are just power hungry sons of bitch3s and think they are invulnerable to the law all of us citizens have to obbey... I'd had my fair share of this kind of experiences... I hope that bastard gets what he deserves. They have my signature and support.

Fuk da police!

red240ne
01-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by NZO
What people fail to realize is that sometimes there are fuxed up situations. This doesnt mean someone is to blame! We are so quick to assign blame and judgement these days, people just cant accept that sh!t happens anymore...

Dude! You obviously haven't seen the video! I'll try to find a link for you if you want. Then there will be no question in your mind. The cop had no reason to shoot the dog!

NZO
01-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Nah i saw the video. You guys obviously have never seen what dogs can do when they want to mess you up. The officer obviously made the mistake of thinking the dog was a threat, but since he did assess the dog as a threat, there was nothing wrong with the action he took. Under the circumstances I may have done the same thing. If you want to get your sh!t ****ed up by some dog thats fine with me. I value my own life much more highly than some dog.

ca18guy
01-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Who cares, the cop allready said he felt bad about it. He felt the dog was a threat to him and the situation (the people could have used the dog as a distraction to make a break for it if they were actually felons) Its just a dog, this got more play then if a dude with a knife was charging at him.

wherezmytofu
01-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by ca18guy
He felt the dog was a threat to him and the situation (the people could have used the dog as a distraction to make a break for it if they were actually felons) Its just a dog, this got more play then if a dude with a knife was charging at him. a....im gunna guess u didnt see the movie...the dog is about 1 foot tall and didnt run at them at all..it walked to them waggy its tail and lapping...yay so treatening...must be on of those trickster dogs! :(

ca18guy
01-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by wherezmytofu
a....im gunna guess u didnt see the movie...the dog is about 1 foot tall and didnt run at them at all..it walked to them waggy its tail and lapping...yay so treatening...must be on of those trickster dogs! :(

I seen the movie, i'd be damned if that thing would hump get close enough to hump my leg :mad: :D I would have batoned or maced it though using a shotgun on a lap dog is excessive, but if thats the biggest mistake that cop ever makes I'll beable to forgive him.

96SEChick
01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
The video I watched had the audio with it. If you listen closely, you'll hear the man yell "close the door--I don't want my dog to jump out" The dog jumps out of the car and runs probably about 10 feet and the cop shoots him. I don't see any reason why the cop would shoot the dog. I also read that the family is suing the PD for wrongful accusation and shooting their dog.

Titan
01-12-2003, 04:14 PM
He felt the dog was a threat to him and the situation (the people could have used the dog as a distraction to make a break for it if they were actually felons)

Yeah, because two adults aged 40-45 with a teenager and a dog are prime candidates for being felons. Shut up.
The cops shouldn't have even had their fire arms out in such a situation. But of course those bastards have to always protect their asses above everything else.

Its just a dog, this got more play then if a dude with a knife was charging at him.

ca18guy, that is quite possibly the most ignorant and insensitive thing I've ever seen you say. Just because your not fond of dogs doesn't give you the right to think they don't matter to anyone. Some people need to get it through they're head that, for certain people, dogs are more then just pets! Would you like it if a cop shot your son/daughter/wife in the face for no reason? Yeah, well, to some people their dogs matter just as much.

That cop should be prosecuted. Even if the dog came at him for real, the only thing he should use is the end of the rifle to beat him off. So he might get a few bites and scratches, but that's a hell of alot better then killing a boy's companion.

Cops need to get their damn priorities straight. I realize they risk their life everyday, but that still doesn't give them the right to play god. If I was that teen I would actually run up and punch that faggot cop in the face once he put his rifle away.

NZO
01-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Yeah, because two adults aged 40-45 with a teenager and a dog are prime candidates for being felons. Shut up.

Titan maybe you arent aware that they were stopping the car as possible bank robbery suspects. I guess youre right, they shouldnt have had their guns out in that situation. :rolleyes:

So he might get a few bites and scratches, but that's a hell of alot better then killing a boy's companion.

Bites and scratches huh? Have you ever seen an attack dog? Get back to me when you have.

but that still doesn't give them the right to play god

I hardly call following protocol playing god...

Titan
01-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by NZO
Titan maybe you arent aware that they were stopping the car as possible bank robbery suspects. I guess youre right, they shouldnt have had their guns out in that situation. :rolleyes:

Yeah because everyday I see my local neighbors who are in their 40's robbing banks with they're teenage son and a dog. :rolleyes: Hey man, check to see if your mother and father haven't been to any banks tonight!

Bites and scratches huh? Have you ever seen an attack dog? Get back to me when you have.

Yes I have. My fully grown pure bred German Shepard attacked my friend Milos. At the end of it, he had his entire back scratched up deep, and a bite halfway through his bicep. Nothing that didn't heal within a week or two. If you ask me, thats much better then my friend killing the dog.

And the dog that was shot was a bulldog-boxer, pfft! The cop was a pussy if he couldn't beat it down with the end of his rifle in the event that it attacked him.

I hardly call following protocol playing god... [/B]

So would it be protocol for a cop to shoot me if I went running at him? I can guarantee that if I sunk my teeth into his throat I could kill him. Why not shoot me?

I've stood up to several dogs in my life, some sending me to the hospital. But I would NEVER rather kill the dog then for him to bite me.

I sure as hell hope that cop gets a massive fine and is suspended.

AKADriver
01-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Titan
So would it be protocol for a cop to shoot me if I went running at him? I can guarantee that if I sunk my teeth into his throat I could kill him. Why not shoot me?

Yeah, if you posed a direct threat to an officer and didn't stand down when asked, I believe it would be protocol to fire... not necessarily to kill, but to disable.

Also remember that animals - be they pets or not - have very little protection under the law. If you don't like that, attack the law, not this officer who was basically just doing his job. I've had pets, it's horrible to see them die, especially before their time. Would I be pissed if I was in this family? Yeah, their anger is justified. This huge public outrage is just silly, though... considering, as NZO said, none of us were there. And none of us are police officers, either.

NZO
01-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Titan
Yeah because everyday I see my local neighbors who are in their 40's robbing banks with they're teenage son and a dog. :rolleyes: Hey man, check to see if your mother and father haven't been to any banks tonight!

Maybe you should read the ****ing article before you make ignorant statements. Im not going to explain to you why they were suspects since its in all the reports. Anyway, are you a proponent of allowing criminals who dont look 'suspect' to be unharrassed? Good thing youre not a police officer.

you ask me, thats much better then my friend killing the dog.

Nah, my life is much more important than any dog, sorry.

Are you a dog?

Titan
01-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by NZO

Nah, my life is much more important than any dog, sorry.

Who the **** said anything about your life? The dog wouldn't have killed him, just injured. And shows how much of a selfish pussy you are since you can't take a few bites rather then killing an animal.

Are you a dog?

Doesn't matter, they are just as important.

NZO
01-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Hah man i just realized you were canadian. Sorry for arguing with you.

Titan
01-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Actually I'm Polish. Was born there and now moved to Canada.

Do I detect a bit of racisim?

misnomer
01-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Yes, it sucks ass that the dog got shot, prolly shouldn't have happened. I can't believe what a bunch of mindless drones you guys are letting yourselves be, though! Probably had similar reactions to Hantavirus. . . OMG WTF SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO SOMETHING!!

Not every situation needs somebody to blame, that's just something the media uses to sell their stories, keep people glued to the TV (Don't argue me on this, you won't win it). The people were suspect of potential wrongdoing, or at least questioning. There was reason to pull them over. I'd imagine the police may have been suprised by the dog. Be glad it wasn't a person who got shot.

But now, because of all the opinions and media attention to what is really a trivial event, what should have ended with some heartfelt condolences (which I imagine have already been given from the police to the people), will probably be a great lawsuit. The only winners will be the lawyers, and the news. Money that could have gone to protecting the streets will be lost in litigation. You can't pay for a family pet like you cae a dent in your fender.

Titan: your argument about them "looking" the part for a crime is bull****. Do you support racial profiling? People don't have to look evil to commit a crime. Don't argue a dog that would have "just injured, couldn't have killed" either. Sorry to single you out man, nothing personal, just the last responses on the list make it easier to quote :P

ca18guy
01-13-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by AKADriver
Yeah, if you posed a direct threat to an officer and didn't stand down when asked, I believe it would be protocol to fire... not necessarily to kill, but to disable.

I have nothing to add but whenever a cop shoots, its to kill not disable. They aim almost exclusivly for the torso cause its most likely to get hit. Oh and titan don't put words in my mouth I am very fond of dogs, I just have different prioritys then you.

HippoSleek
01-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Like it or not, people have priority in this world. I would rather see a dog killed than an innocent person be wounded by that dog.

Personally, the video I saw showed a terrier dog (more like a pit bull than a scottie) bound out of a car, tail wagging, before he squatted down and ran faster out of the camera frame. You then see two grown male police officers run back into the frame and another who shot the dog. I don't know what happened outside the frame and neither does anyone here. It was enough to make two men run and a third use a shotgun.

What pisses me off more than anything about this story is that it shows, yet again, how screwy people's priorities are. My least favorite was the dog that was part of the road rage incident in California and thrown into traffic. A horrible act certainly - but the reward for catching that guy was nearly as large as the reward for catching the DC Sniper last year!!!! A dozen lives taken by a serial killer vs. one dog in an isolated act. C'mon people!

If suburban pet owners who are so worried about this stuff spent half as much energy and money on human victims, the world would be a better place. There are killers that go free every day for whom there is no reward money. But I guess that's different - poor black people living in the bad side of town aren't worth as much as Fido. :rolleyes: :mad:

Phlip
01-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Mailman maced my dog onetime and called the cops on me... She was on a chain that ended 6 feet from my mailbox and HE was the one who walked thru my yard. Cops show up and I explain it to them and he REAMS the mailman for wasting our time, but won't take my complaint for macing her in the first place....
More directly related to this situation, the cop would have been better to have maced the dog to subdue it, shooting the dog was a little extreme. I've seen rottweilers bitch up after getting maced...

Red89AllStockBiotch
01-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver
And this has what to do with the 240SX?

nothing, that's why it's in OT, he's just sharing something that matters to him with the community

wow that came off pretty mr rogers-ish hmm?

Red89AllStockBiotch
01-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I have nothing to add but whenever a cop shoots, its to kill not disable. They aim almost exclusivly for the torso cause its most likely to get hit. Oh and titan don't put words in my mouth I am very fond of dogs, I just have different prioritys then you.

just seconding ca18guy, if a cop shoots to injure it's considered police brutality, so when they it's to kill, if they miss, consider yourself lucky i geuss

misnomer
01-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Dead people don't file lawsuits :P They're also less likely to shoot back, hense why police are trained to shoot to kill.

And just imagine all the attention a poor three legged dog would grab to all the soft hearted pussies of the world. . . Much more than the dead one you don't see anymore :P

Don't mean to seem like an insensitive ass, but pull your heads out. Stop crying "**** da police" and start following the laws :P

negular
01-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by misnomer
Stop crying "**** da police" and start following the laws :P

Im guessin this part of your post is directed at me.
I think what you said "start following the laws" should go both ways, for civilians and cops alike... and if some cops are not going to follow the law, why should we? and im not yelling "ANARCHY!" here, since I follow the law (except those that interfeer with my personal freedoms) so to all those corrupt cops out there... FUK DA POLICE!, and to all those cops that do their job well... THANK YOU!

misnomer
01-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Meh, not directed only at you, I've heard it before, often :P

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any information that cops are less law abiding than the typical non-cop. Yeah, some can be assholes. Yeah, some do break the law. But, you don't hear about the thousands of dailly incidents where cops do good for the community. You only hear about the three bad ones a year.

Good to know you can give credit where due :-)

red240ne
01-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by NZO

it was a fukking beagle!!! not a german shephard, not a doberman, not a rottweiler, a ****ing beagle!!