PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Metallica

ESmorz
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I've never really been a big Metallica fan, but I know almost every other person and their mom is so here you go:

MySpaceTV Videos: Metallica - The Day That Never Comes by Metallica (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=41722462)

Really Gay Video.

Much better than St. Anger.

Still not very good though.

cserrano86
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm listening to the new album right now. Pretty fucking good I must say...

ManoNegra
09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Ride the Lightining, Master or Puppets, And Justice for All... rest is crap.

Mi Beardo es Loco
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
pre black album rocked!!!! black album and everything after sucked ass!

you can't tell me this wasn't the coolest ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxNoAxb2IrM&feature=related

Dirty Habit
09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Meh. Unless their all boozed up..its lame. Lyrics "love is a four letter word"?? Seriously?

No tenacity in that...

BustedS13
09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
from what i've listened to, i'm going to go ahead and say this is a shitty awful album.

they got me with St. Anger in '03. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, you're probably metallica.

lflkajfj12123
09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
i like boyz

S14cagged
09-03-2008, 12:49 AM

truer words have never been spoken

but i must add one more thing.. S&M album

EDz s14
09-03-2008, 02:21 AM

Kill em all FTW
they are the best Metallica album imo

SHIFT_*grind*
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
My favorite song of theirs......is a cover. =\

cserrano86
09-03-2008, 08:40 AM
My favorite song of theirs......is a cover. =\
Is it Tuesday's Gone?

lucky7
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
ive always had a severe disgust for metallica...

SHIFT_*grind*
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Is it Tuesday's Gone?

Whiskey in the Jar, it's an old Irish folk song.

SoSideways
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Actually I found the Binge and Purge box set to be exceptionally well done.

Then again...

Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets are classics.

My friends and I were actually talking about how it's not even them playing on ...And Justice for All, because if you listen closely, it's completely different styled than all their other stuff, especially the drums. It's as if Lars actually grew a set of balls and learned how to double bass.

Then lost his balls promptly after that, because now all he does is the "hey look guys, I'm 6 months old and am still learning how to control my arms and all I'm doing is banging on this round drum and this other round drum alternately" style.

murda-c
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
this song makes me nap.

dirtdiggler666
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
why not go out on a good note

their time is over very over they were ok at one point but please stop trying to make your music fit the new music trends just to sell it.:fawkd:

murda-c
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Maybe they like the new trends so they make music with it, but they don't rock at it as much as they did using their old style.

but they've grown out of it.

TheWolf
09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
how to suck at music... sue your fans.. tell them they don't pay enough... try to look like 50 year old homeless bum that's "angry"... release shitty albums... try to get mortgage company to sponsor your old haggard tour.. die in old folks home crapping your pants...

"this I swear..." that was the crappiest song I've ever heard from them
"this I swear..." was the dumbest video...
old metalica would have forced them into the car and lit it up with the 50 cal and then pee'd on them and raped his dead wife... used her blood for lube..

metalica can quit pretending to be a band and just go back to playing all their old stuff.. people would be happier...

mrmephistopheles
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Shortly after the Napster debacle, I found myself impulsively downloading their music whenever I could find it, simply to spite them for being such douchebags about their handling of the matter.
I'm all for an artist protecting their intellectual property, but they could have done so much better in that situation.

Anyway, I haven't been interested in them since the Load/ReLoad/Garage Inc albums.
Basically, if they'd died/broken up in 2000, I'd mourn them. As it is, they've become that bad that 'sold out' and 'tried too hard'.

If they could go back to Ride The Lightning type stuff, I'd be completely stoked about them.

cserrano86
09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Whiskey in the Jar, it's an old Irish folk song. ahh... Good song. I like the Thin Lizzy version.

There's a pre-sale going on right now for 3 shows here in Cali. Tickets are $100 fucking dollars. I would not pay $100 to see them. I just paid $100 to see Queens of the Stone Age but all of that money went toward the fund for their ex piano player Natasha Shneider who recently died of cancer.
I refuse to contribute money to such a greedy band. I downloaded their new album and am giving it to all my friends just so they dont have to buy it. I support good music and good bands only.

veeates36
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry, but i gotta say something.. I think the ST. ANGER was a really good album especially the radio tracks.. I like the EVOLVED sound of Metallica and while their old stuff is classic... People evolve..Music evolves..Metallica are just people that make music.

ManoNegra
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
oops... forgot about Kill Them All...
as long as aging prosperous metalheads keep buying their shit don't think they'll be stopping soon...
guess not living out of a van can take the edge most good bands...

cserrano86
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Sorry, but i gotta say something.. I think the ST. ANGER was a really good album especially the radio tracks.. I like the EVOLVED sound of Metallica and while their old stuff is classic... People evolve..Music evolves..Metallica are just people that make music.
I agree with that. Alot of people give bands shit for changing their ways. Specially old punk bands. Take Bad Religion for example, people either think they've either sold out or they've never heard of them and assume they're some new punk band and think they're stuff is crap along with all other new punk. But they've actually evolved, just like you said, and their music is still just as good as it was back then.

Oh and by the way, my favorite song off St Anger is Dirty Window. Good shit.

SoSideways
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with evolving.

What is wrong with Metallica's way of "evolving" is just playing the same ol' "nu metal" shit through their rig.

They were the fore runners of incorporating the British New Wave of Metal (it's been a long time, I don't even remember if that's the correct term) sound into their own, and made an unmistakable Metallica sound, and wrote original music.

Now their shit has been played by 13541798109378451098 billion other "metal bands" that are nothing but kids learning how to "play guitar" on Youtube by learning power chords and turning the bass on their amps up to 10, and turning the distortion up to 10. There is no creativity, everything sounds the same, and nobody even knows what a fucking guitar solo is anymore. No, a guitar solo is not the "break down" in the middle of a song where just a single guitar is playing fucking chords by itself.

FUCKING A I hate this "new metal" bullshit so much, I would rather be forced to watch 2 girls 1 cup than to suffer through the shit bands and songs that dare call themselves metal when in fact it's more like liquid pools of shit.

deolio
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
sounded very unoriginal. same shit different day...

veeates36
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree with that. Alot of people give bands shit for changing their ways. Specially old punk bands. Take Bad Religion for example, people either think they've either sold out or they've never heard of them and assume they're some new punk band and think they're stuff is crap along with all other new punk. But they've actually evolved, just like you said, and their music is still just as good as it was back then.

Oh and by the way, my favorite song off St Anger is Dirty Window. Good shit.

^^^Thank you for that. If rep was still around I'd break you off some green..lol. I think St. Anger really showed off their ability to transition from the usual rock sound to something different and it definately put their new bassist Rob Trujillo to work.

If you dont believe me listen closely to the St. Anger album track 2.. "St. Anger". This track with all the drumming and bass riffs should prove my point. Listen with an open mind and I'm sure you'll catch my drift.

SoSideways
09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
^^^Thank you for that. If rep was still around I'd break you off some green..lol. I think St. Anger really showed off their ability to transition from the usual rock sound to something different and it definately put their new bassist Rob Trujillo to work.

If you dont believe me listen closely to the St. Anger album track 2.. "St. Anger". This track with all the drumming and bass riffs should prove my point. Listen with an open mind and I'm sure you'll catch my drift.

Just because I am very open minded, and I never gave the song a "fair" listening to, I just found the studio version on Youtube and am listening to it.

2 things I noticed immediately:

1) Guitars sound like shit.
2) Drums sound like shit.

That's not even counting the fact that there are no "good riffs" like you said, and honestly, Lars wasn't the greatest drummer, and had his 15 min of fame on One, and his performance on this song isn't exactly anything to write home about.

....And the song is not even over yet.

PS - I think I found the drum kit that Lars played on and recorded on that album

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/361433608_5ce5a92bb4.jpg?v=0

ESmorz
09-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Avenged Sevenfold does better Metallica than Metallica, and that's not saying much.

YouTube - Avenged Sevenfold-And All Things Will End (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llv_cznyblI)

:keke:

SoSideways
09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't mind Avenged Sevenfold most of the time, but the dude's nasally voice pisses me off... makes me cringe.

ESmorz
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't mind Avenged Sevenfold most of the time, but the dude's nasally voice pisses me off... makes me cringe.

Yeah his singing voice is hardly singing at all.

Although musically and even vocally in some parts that is an obvious homage to Metallica.

SoSideways
09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Well yeah... a lot of people "pay homage" to Metallica, as they (Metallica) influenced a lot of bands that grew up listening to them in the 80s.

Some of them try harder than others, but you get my point.

veeates36
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Just because I am very open minded, and I never gave the song a "fair" listening to, I just found the studio version on Youtube and am listening to it.

2 things I noticed immediately:

1) Guitars sound like shit.
2) Drums sound like shit.

That's not even counting the fact that there are no "good riffs" like you said, and honestly, Lars wasn't the greatest drummer, and had his 15 min of fame on One, and his performance on this song isn't exactly anything to write home about.

....And the song is not even over yet.

PS - I think I found the drum kit that Lars played on and recorded on that album

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/361433608_5ce5a92bb4.jpg?v=0

Ok.. So you didnt even listen to whole song before you started talking shit right..? Thats not really being open minded that more ignorant.. Dont get me wrong I really love the old stuff that shit is just classic.. but come on now are you really expecting to hear a "Kill em all" album nowadays..? All I'm saying is (and it seems like you are having difficulty understanding)to ACTUALLY give it a chance.. is not all bad. Sure its a different sound, but I think its a GOOD different sound.

PS: Funny pic by the way.. but is that really the best you can do..? FAIL

veeates36
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM

I really wonder what you consider to be "Good Singing".

Avenged Sevenfold I feel brings back an old school sound that you dont really hear much anymore and with a voice like M. Shadows and bitchin' guitar solos like the ones that Sinister Gates produces make them stand out & away from the crowd.

SoSideways
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Ok.. So you didnt even listen to whole song before you started talking shit right..? Thats not really being open minded that more ignorant.. Dont get me wrong I really love the old stuff that shit is just classic.. but come on now are you really expecting to hear a "Kill em all" album nowadays..? All I'm saying is (and it seems like you are having difficulty understanding)to ACTUALLY give it a chance.. is not all bad. Sure its a different sound, but I think its a GOOD different sound.

PS: Funny pic by the way.. but is that really the best you can do..? FAIL

I don't need to listen to the rest of the song because the rest of the song sounds the exact same as the beginning/middle of the song.

You don't get it do you?

Most songs go in the way of "intro-verse-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-*maybe a break down here*-*or a guitar solo here or whatever*-chorus-*maybe outro*".

With that kinda of song structure, tell me, why the fuck would I have to waste another 4 minutes of listening to the rest of the song to give it my opinion?

And yes, I did actually expect an album from Metallica that was gonna be great when St. Anger was delivered, as they said in all their press releases that "the guitars are gonna be in your face loud, the drums are gonna be awesome, and it's just going to sound more raw, like the earlier Metallica albums".

Well...

They delivered an album with guitars that sound like the speakers were about 1000 yards away with no treble, the drums sound like buckets and tin cans, and everyone in the band forgot how to play their instruments.

Again, I'm all for healthy evolution of a band, building on their sound and their originality, grow on that, and sound ever better.

Metallic did not do that.

They tried something new with Load and Reload, people didn't receive them very well, so they changed their sound, changed the direction they were going a little bit to conform to what the kids listen to nowadays on the radio, and made St. Anger.

To be honest with you, I thought Load and Reload were very good rock albums. Maybe not Metallica material, but at least there were good, solid rock songs on there.

Metallica is just another band that suffered from being past their prime, losing their creativity as a whole unit, but just keep trying to make records to make money and succeeding because there are people like you out there that think "their new stuff is awesome".

Take bands like Arch Enemy, Opeth, or Iced Earth for example. They've gone through line-up changes, and they've been around for awhile, and yet, they haven't gone and made themselves sound like total shit just for the sake of "evolution". With each album, they sound better and better, always moving forward, but you can tell immediately that it's their newest album because they bring something new to the table every time, and not losing their signature sounds or style along the way, which, Metallica has lost after Reload, all the way.

PS - I only spent about 30 seconds looking for that pic to demonstrate what Lars' drums sounded like with an illustration, so if you just want to type "fail" and sound even more like a fanboi, go for it, because quite honestly you have no idea what you're talking about.

IIIXziuR
09-06-2008, 09:18 AM
This Album is "AND JUSTICE FOR LOAD"
I mean I wasn't expecting much, it's cool they are still together.
But in my eyes they died when Cliff died. I will say this, the stuff I heard so far blows away STANGER.

Kill 'Em All - Ride The Lightning - MOP = 'tallica's best

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn47/gibbs131/1219687279176a1.jpg

SHIFT_*grind*
09-06-2008, 09:29 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn47/gibbs131/1219687279176a1.jpg

haahahahahaahhaahhahhahahahahaaaaa

ESmorz
09-06-2008, 09:31 AM
haahahahahaahhaahhahhahahahahaaaaa

As soon as I started reading it, the music played in my head and hetfield was singing his heart out.

:bowrofl:

Antihero983
09-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Actually Sosideways, I think the new arch enemy Cd really isnt that good.

doomsday machine was 10000000000000000 times better.

ESmorz
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM

That's what happens when your front man has a vagina.

surge s14
09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
i only give a shit about metallica (1983-1997)

after st anger i wanted to go back to 1983 and punch them in the face!

but.. i must that video feels and sounds like metallica

SoSideways
09-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Eh...

The new stuff reminds me of them incorporating their newer style with their new found love of going back to the Carcass type style (that's pretty much what Doomsday Machine reminded me of... the later Carcass type stuff, since Mike Amott was in Carcass and all).

I like it, kinda reminds me a little of Wages of Sin again, which to me, is Arch Enemy's best album.

JRas
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
St.Anger is like Godfather Part 3

you just pretend they never existed

BustedS13
09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/poke4evr123/86747d1220162206-funny-strange-rand.jpg

Antihero983
09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

I love 4chan....

sil80dreamer
09-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Bought the new cd last night and bought tickets to the concert in Milwaukee this morning. I can't wait for the concert. I went to 2 concerts a few years ago when Godsmack opened and the were amazing live. The new cd is actually pretty good. It is nothing like St. Anger, it sounds more like the era of And Justice For All.

The only cd i can think of that i didn't like was St. Anger which was absolutely horrible.