PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed's RX8

KiDyNomiTe
01-11-2003, 05:06 PM
If you put your right hand on the back of the car it looks soo freakin sexy, but the back just looks a little odd too me. It lost the sleekness of the rx7 that it had.

But someone did a photochop and gave it back its sleekness and it looks real good.

Original:

KiDyNomiTe
01-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Chop:
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/uploads/mazdaspeed7.jpg

Kareem
01-11-2003, 05:32 PM
The rear door (whatever you want to call it) is where the car starts to look fugly. I like the front end and the rims though.

whateverjames
01-11-2003, 05:51 PM
looks cool.

Bbandit
01-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Kareem
The rear door (whatever you want to call it) is where the car starts to look fugly.

true that!

DSC
01-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Yeah, the chopped version looks soo much better. I wish they'd make it 2 dr like that.

KiDyNomiTe
01-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DSC
Yeah, the chopped version looks soo much better. I wish they'd make it 2 dr like that.

1 more to the big 3K

TheTimanator
01-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Either way the car looks sweet. But I do think they should offer it in 2 door as well. Does anybody know how much they are gonna be when they get here?

96SEChick
01-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by DSC

I second that option. They should offer it as a 3-door-thingy N/A, and a 2-door SC or Turbo. :)

KiDyNomiTe--give your friend some props on the chop-job (if you know who did it)!! He/she did great!!

KiDyNomiTe
01-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 96SEChick
I second that option. They should offer it as a 3-door-thingy N/A, and a 2-door SC or Turbo. :)

KiDyNomiTe--give your friend some props on the chop-job (if you know who did it)!! He/she did great!!

there were a couple of chops but his was the best, all from the rx7club forum, his user name is Black R1.

SimpleS14
01-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Kareem
The rear door (whatever you want to call it) is where the car starts to look fugly. I like the front end and the rims though.

Yea the rear doors make it look real bad.

That is a nice chopped pic, that's what the car SHOULD look like. :)

Natty
01-11-2003, 07:35 PM
I agree, the photchop looks alot better.
Jeff

wherezmytofu
01-12-2003, 10:23 PM
thos rims r cool!

AKADriver
01-13-2003, 01:08 AM
haha.. that door is like 8 feet long.

dumb dumb dumb. you'd never be able to open it in a parking lot.

I love the car in its original form.

uiuc240
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
they ARE making a 3-door...it'll be like a 2005 model.

Eric

-E-
01-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
Chop:
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/uploads/mazdaspeed7.jpg

Thats how it sould have been when they designed the RX-8

X-Iceman
01-14-2003, 01:46 PM
I have to agree that the RX8 should be coupe. Its goin to be have to change. Too many people will look else where for a nice coupe. All this sedan sports car stuff. i mean wtf. :confused:

AKADriver
01-14-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah, because being able to reach the back seats is a real negative point :rolleyes:

Nismos14
01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
i bet because of the lines of the door, they added all those different lines to the body kit, i think it looks great with or without the door, but i prefer it without the door, i'd take either one ;)

kandyflip445
01-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Yeah I'd take either one too. But I would rather have the photochoped one more.So sexy:D

KiDyNomiTe
01-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Some more pics of the real car

KiDyNomiTe
01-15-2003, 06:17 PM
At certain angles it still looks pretty nice, especially in the above pic.

Almost forgot it had altezza style lights:( , kinda looks like a mix between a prowler and viper in this pic :confused:

drift into a curb
01-15-2003, 09:16 PM
The car looks good. I saw it in person at the l.a. autoshow. It would look alot better without a spoiler. The suicide doors was kind of an iffy thing, but it's just a different trend. Get use to it. When you're asking for a ride in your friends rx8 in the future, be glad he has space in the back for you haha.

Oh yeah, anyone see the Mazda 6? That's a pretty nice looking sedan.
http://www.infomotori.com/foto/art_830.2_MAZDA%206%20A1.jpg

KiDyNomiTe
01-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by drift into a curb
The car looks good. I saw it in person at the l.a. autoshow. It would look alot better without a spoiler. The suicide doors was kind of an iffy thing, but it's just a different trend. Get use to it. When you're asking for a ride in your friends rx8 in the future, be glad he has space in the back for you haha.

Oh yeah, anyone see the Mazda 6? That's a pretty nice looking sedan.
http://www.infomotori.com/foto/art_830.2_MAZDA%206%20A1.jpg

I would rather ask my friend with an RX7 for a ride in his car :D , but a brand new rotary is always good.

When you say you saw it at the autoshow, did you see the MazdaSpeed version, or the regular one, also were you allowed in the car? Just asking cuz I want to know what cars will be at the Chicago autoshow.

And the Mazda 6 is a very nice car, a lot of people I know who test drove it said that it is a very nice car to drive, and others tell me that it handles real well, cars these days are getting better and better, and sedans are getting sporty. You look at the new Mazdaspeed Protege, everyone is singing praises about its performance and handling, same with the Neon (ugly ass car, but I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover), and mazda 6.

But back on track, the rx8 has its good points and bad points, just like every other car.

ONYX S-13
01-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Nice lookin RX-8...The back is a lil weird but it'll grow on me.

drift into a curb
01-15-2003, 10:16 PM
At least you can fit some girls back of the the rx8, whereas it would have been just you and your friend in the rx7. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like to have that option. At the autoshow, I'm pretty sure I saw the stock rx8. Although, I didn't care too much because people were flocking around like it was a rap superstar Puff daddy or Jesus visiting for the day. They didn't let people sit in the rx8. In fact, they didn't let people sit in a lot of cars at the LA autoshow. I was expecting to sit in a nice Porsche Carrera, but no, they wouldn't even let anybody in a Boxter.

By the way, the new Neon SRT4 is pushing pretty impressive numbers. 215hp/245tq. Some guys tried to argue about the neon being better (ie. faster acceleration, braking, and handling) than the WRX and even the new Lancer EVO coming next year. After spouting some numbers of the wrx specs, they shut up. I asked these guys, how were the brakes on the Neon SRT4? It's okay, I answered for them, ****.

http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/index.html?context=homepage&type=top

http://mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/handling.jsp

KiDyNomiTe
01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
I was under the impression that the Neon IS faster than the WRX. They claim 215HP, but it is more than that to the wheels, WRX is 220 I think (don't remember off the top of my head). Only thing that the WRX has is AWD, but for handling purposes they say the Neon handles very well.

EDIT:

According to Car and Driver:

2002 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX
Power (SAE net) 227 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 217 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Zero to 60 mph 5.9 sec 5.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph 17.5 sec 17.3 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 14.6 sec @ 93 mph 14.5 sec @ 93 mph

Dodge Neon SRT-4
Power 215 bhp
Torque 245 lb-ft
Zero to 60 mph 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph 13.8
Standing 1/4 mile 14.2 sec

drift into a curb
01-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I'm hearing that too. Sorry, meant to say he was saying it was going to better than the STi model. Though, I still think the WRX would have a launch advantage than a SRT4.

KiDyNomiTe
01-15-2003, 10:29 PM
It shouldnt be faster than the STi, but look at my edit above for the regular WRX

drift into a curb
01-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Back on topic. Here's misc pics of the rx8

http://www.alamorotary.com/images/mazda.rx8%20final%20taillamp.jpg

http://www.alamorotary.com/images/RX-8_dash.gif

http://209.242.38.34/images/full/2001/s01011013/mz2001rx04.jpg

AKADriver
01-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Those last two pics are the concept RX8, not the production car...

The Neon SRT-4's brakes are huge. Everything about that car is impressive, except it really sucks that they're limiting production. Oh well. I prefer the first gen Neons anyway... now to wait for some dang fool kid to try to put the power down mid-corner in an SRT-4 and send one into a ditch shiny side down so I can put that killer hardware into a 400lb lighter '95-'99 coupe. :p

drift into a curb
01-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, I expected good things from the SRT4. I think they could have did more with the brake system like some nice 4-piston calipers or even dual pistons. For a $20k price tag though, it's nice right out of the box.

toddnappi
01-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by drift into a curb
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, I expected good things from the SRT4. I think they could have did more with the brake system like some nice 4-piston calipers or even dual pistons. For a $20k price tag though, it's nice right out of the box.

Yeah, except it's a Neon.

AKADriver
01-18-2003, 07:29 PM
A Neon that's faster than our cars, stock for stock.

Not that that's tough - an ACR was already faster than a stock 240SX. In a straight line and around corners.

You can complain about being FWD, ugly, etc. But that doesn't change the reality of it being an amazing performer.

toddnappi
01-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Sometimes it's not about numbers. Sometimes it's about the car's premise, design, and heritage. You could turbo a Focus, Aerio, Corrola, whatever to be faster than a 240sx. Do you know how many cars nowadays are faster than a 240sx? But it would still be an econobox. You can buy a turbo Neon and beat me at every light. But everytime you walk up to it, are you going to say, "Wow, I love the lines of that Neon - it sure was designed as a sports car! Why do people buy Porsches and other imports when they can have great, cheap American power like this?" I doubt it. Also, I really don't classify it as being an awesome performer. Maybe you aspire to one day own a domestic FF turbo econobox. But not me.

MikeFD3S
01-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for giving credit where credit is due, KiDynomite! :D

<-- BlackR1

It was first only a rumour, but Mazda is for sure working on a 4th Generation RX7 utilizing the RX8 chassis. The RX8 chassis will be used on the next gen Miata as well.

Hopefully they make it look like my chop or even better... I can't wait.

lotaree powar 0wnZ j00!

HippoSleek
01-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Funny that someone said in one shot the RX8 looked like a cross between Prowler and a Viper b/c as soon as I saw it, it screamed CHRYSLER to me. Ugh. Keep it in Japan - we have enough ugly bubble hatched domestic cars. They should feel free to send over the chopped version.

Now, not following any car that I can't afford, is the RX8 designed to replace the Cosmos (3 rotor 4 seater) or the RX7? Mike's post gives me hope that a new 7 will eventually meet our shores.

And Todd - I don't think AKA was claiming the Neon was the end all be all sports car - just that it out-performed the 240 in just about every category. It may be ugly, it may rattle like a diamondback, but it will still own the 240. Better chassis, more potential - the 240's got that - but USDM out of the box performance... :(

MikeFD3S
01-21-2003, 11:33 AM
The Mazda Cosmo is more of a big touring saloon type car, like the Toyota Soarer. The RX8 weighs only 2888 (ironic, ne?) while the Cosmo is a heavyweight in the 3400lb+ category.

I'm not exactly sure which group of cars to lump the RX8 with.
A lot of auto makers are doing this 2 suicide door thing lately. Kinda screams, "I want a sporty 2 door...but I have a family"

The new 8 will feature excellent handling which is typical for Mazda...preliminary road tests done by www.rotarynews.com confirm this. I think overall the RX8 will be a limited run novelty car to showcase the new Renesis engine.

A lot of automakers are 'borrowing' other car make's designs...which is nothing new. The new Chevrolet SS concept 's design is a little too much like the RX8's to be pure coincidence...unfortunately, the GM designers' final product looks a bit cleaner.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/08/ssconcept03_01.jpg
http://images.rotarynews.com/images/LagunaSecaJan03/mvc01912.jpg

KiDyNomiTe
01-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by HippoSleek
Funny that someone said in one shot the RX8 looked like a cross between Prowler and a Viper b/c as soon as I saw it, it screamed CHRYSLER to me. Ugh. Keep it in Japan - we have enough ugly bubble hatched domestic cars. They should feel free to send over the chopped version.

Now, not following any car that I can't afford, is the RX8 designed to replace the Cosmos (3 rotor 4 seater) or the RX7? Mike's post gives me hope that a new 7 will eventually meet our shores.

And Todd - I don't think AKA was claiming the Neon was the end all be all sports car - just that it out-performed the 240 in just about every category. It may be ugly, it may rattle like a diamondback, but it will still own the 240. Better chassis, more potential - the 240's got that - but USDM out of the box performance... :(

Well ford owns mazda, not to sure if they own chrysler, I forget how the american car companies go, but all I remember is there is a big 2 (or is it 3) who basically own everything.

toddnappi
01-21-2003, 04:02 PM
The US automakers have taken to producing these crazy concept vehicles which never make it to production, while the imports keep with their current line and produce all of their concepts. That Chysler will never make it to production, and in two years we will all be talking about the new great 7.

Johny5
01-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Those front brakes look like they could eat small animals, I bet that car modded will be a beast. It's too bad though that newer cars are harder to mod, or more expensive. You notice all the products for the s13s and then compare to products on, just an example, the new civic. I'd take an s13 and mod that due to the fact that a) you're not ruining something new and b) just more options.

regardless, that car is gonna be good.