PDA

View Full Version : cheapest place for fluorescent light fixtures?

BustedS13
08-31-2008, 03:09 PM
i need about a dozen dual-bulb fixtures to light up my basement/garage properly, so i'm looking to get them on the cheap. what's my best bet? i'm guessing it's still going to be home depot.

burnsauto
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
look into local wholesale warehouses, this summer I've worked at a local one that sells lights like you're describing. You'll usually get a better deal through them, and won't have to deal with the b/s of going to home depot.

http://www.simkar.com/index.asp

Future240
08-31-2008, 07:35 PM
you could always try ebay

rainier
08-31-2008, 09:17 PM
try craigslist wanted to buy section.

how big is your basement garage that you'll need all that lighting?

BustedS13
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
try craigslist wanted to buy section.

how big is your basement garage that you'll need all that lighting?

i couldn't really think how to describe this, but it's enough space for two cars, one being daily driven and in a space for parking, the other in a project car or storage zone where it is rarely moved from, because of the tight corner you take to get out. and then there's a work space as well. we just want it REALLY well lit, from both above and angled in from the edge of the ceiling for when we're doing brake jobs and so on. here's a picture, it's not perfectly to scale but you get the idea. the house's footprint is 26x40.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2mgqkna.jpg

we're also looking at epoxy floors, has anybody used the Rustoleum kit?

rainier
08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
nice layout, seems like it would be a good idea for all the lights with different switches to turn on different groups.

epoxy floors... never dealt with it, but it is a good idea to get something besides basic cement. i put some sort of tiles all over my garage that was very easy to cut and lay out

mrmephistopheles
09-01-2008, 02:15 AM
If you stumble into a good deal, let me know. I need some more for my garage.
Right now I have a dual 8' T12 setup (pendant mount with reflector).
Shit cost me ~$80 with bulbs and an electrical cord.

SW20Racer
09-01-2008, 06:46 AM
harbor freight.

MESUJ LURNGTH

ryguy
09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
harbor freight.

MESUJ LURNGTH

Damn you, you beat me to it lol. Usually if the question is "I need ________ for super cheap", be it hand tools, welders, model airplanes, solar panels, or a bag of 50,000 latex gloves, the answer is always "Harbor Freight."

BustedS13
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
i've got the "i'd rather be shopping at harbor freight" license plate frame, don't get me started on the wonders. but they sell light fixtures?

ryguy
09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
i've got the "i'd rather be shopping at harbor freight" license plate frame, don't get me started on the wonders. but they sell light fixtures?

I know for sure they sell the bulbs, but the actual fixtures I'm not quite sure. I couldn't find them online but its probably worth stopping in the store if you're nearby.

smellslikecurry
09-01-2008, 10:48 AM
i bought two light fixtures from home depot for my garage just like what your talking about for 8 bucks a piece

BustedS13
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
i bought two light fixtures from home depot for my garage just like what your talking about for 8 bucks a piece

dual bulb? shit, that's a done deal

smellslikecurry
09-01-2008, 11:22 AM
yupp lemme see if i can find a picture of it

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2668606831_bb076f9300_b.jpg

BustedS13
09-01-2008, 11:28 AM
yupp lemme see if i can find a picture of it

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2668606831_bb076f9300_b.jpg

that'll do it. i need an army of those

smellslikecurry
09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
the bulbs cost me more than the fixture!

silviaguy240
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
we're also looking at epoxy floors, has anybody used the Rustoleum kit?

is your shit SUPER clean? ive heard that it doesnt really go on well with dirty floors with stains and shit.

mrmephistopheles
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
All I want is one more 8 footer with reflectors (to help area light), and maybe 2-4 4 footers for extra localized lighting if needed.

gotta240
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
the bulbs cost me more than the fixture!

negatory. The cheap ass fixtures are about 8 bucks each and the bulbs were something like 10 for 16 bucks...

Therefore

Fixtures > Bulbs

smellslikecurry
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
i paid 12 bucks for those two bulbs

bulbs > fixtures

aNskY
09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
home depot has dual bulb 4 foot fixtures for $8, think thats the cheapest ur gonna get.

SW20Racer
09-01-2008, 10:14 PM

im a 2 minute walk from harbor freight. its so cool, ill just walk over with faust on my shoulders and show him gigantic power tools and ill check out the prices on the...greenhouse lights....the one here has bulbs and fixtures. trust me ive checked and checked and checked and checked, but i cant get any of this stuff till i mail these mags out. which is killing me slowly because every time something goes wrong.

edit: theres nothing on their site about it though, which is weird.

SexPanda
09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Damnit... times like this I wish I had a damned garage.

SW20Racer
09-01-2008, 10:24 PM

i would settle for a carport.

one of those aluminum ones that you put up yourself even.

hell, a pvc frame and a tarp on top would be awesome at this point.

IdriveaNissan
09-01-2008, 11:42 PM
hid > noobescent

BustedS13
09-02-2008, 12:47 AM
is your shit SUPER clean? ive heard that it doesnt really go on well with dirty floors with stains and shit.

it's clean, but we're going to powerwash it and make sure there's no water coming up through it before we do anything. also, there's a chunk of concrete in the middle of the floor that's about 2" higher than everything else, from when they switched from septic to sewer, i'm told. so we're going to knock that out and pour in new concrete even with the rest of the floor. good times

the one here has bulbs and fixtures. trust me ive checked and checked and checked and checked, but i cant get any of this stuff till i mail these mags out. which is killing me slowly because every time something goes wrong.

edit: theres nothing on their site about it though, which is weird.

WUT. i'm going to have to check it out f'sho.

i would settle for a carport.

it was awesome living with my parents. two car detached garage and a three car carport (and still not enough to park all the cars for some reason). at this house, we've got the parking space i've described, and we're also laying out a two car carport in back for extra covered parking. we get hail a couple times a year, plus nobody likes cleaning off snow.

hid > noobescent

value > excessive spending. it's a wide space, we'd need lots of fixtures anyway

gotta240
09-02-2008, 03:34 AM
i paid 12 bucks for those two bulbs

bulbs > fixtures

You < Shopping for the correct thing at the correct store

Did you buy those gay ass "quite" and "energy efficient" bulbs? I bet so.

BustedS13
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
ill just walk over with faust on my shoulders and show him gigantic power tools and ill check out the prices on the...greenhouse lights....t

hid > noobescent

wait.. guys i'm not building a grow room