PDA

View Full Version : So my car painter is trying to rip me off....

JohnnyDrfiter22
08-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Well i took my 93 MR2 into the paint shop about 4 months ago. I would do it myself but dont have a garage.....But anyways he looked at the car and agreed that 3k was the price i would pay. I agreed and paid him the money. Now 4 months later he calls me up and says "hey i had to do a little more work than expected, so its going to be another 1200"....Im like umm ill come down there, so i go to talk to him and hes not around nor will answer my calls. But thats pretty shitty he did that hes a professional this is at a place of business what can i do guys any help would be much appreciated.

DOOK
08-31-2008, 07:47 AM
did you have a contract or estimate? As a professional, before he went over his original estimate he should have acquired your permission.

aziankingz
08-31-2008, 08:25 AM
have a receipt? if you do, bring that in and tell him that you both agreed the job will be 3k and explain to him you will not pay a cent more. if he does not comply and wont finish the job, tell him to get his lawyer and you 2 can settle it in court.. but only if he is being an asshole (which he already is).

((sr)) kelly
08-31-2008, 08:46 AM
3k is ALOT of money hahah... but you should never cheap out on paint like I did... i paid 600 and it looks like the guy used a pint of clear hah

hope everything works out

koukimonster139
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
uhh thats normal...aside from the part where hes being shady about it....

did he write you an actual estimate?? there should be a disclaimer stating that once work begins if there is more damage found, the price may go up, or something like that.

ask for pictures of the car, they may have found some bad damage or something under your previous paint.

lol 3k is dirt cheap if he stripped it, did all the bodywork and painted it like a professional

but who knows i never met the guy. maybe he is ripping you off

edit: 4 months is WAY too long. we build custom rods upwards of $150k in 4 months lol

shanes14
08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
never pay before

and it should take at the most 4 weeks, depending on the condition

3k is wayy up there in price too

call your lawyer=] lol

RiversideS13
08-31-2008, 09:39 AM
geeze mr2 is such a small car, why he ask so much

shanes14
08-31-2008, 09:42 AM
he uses a golden paintgun

haha

n240sxfnatic
08-31-2008, 10:04 AM
a verbal agreement is considered a contract, and I thought never thought id learn anything from business law 215 last semester.

theicecreamdan
08-31-2008, 10:07 AM
a verbal agreement is considered a contract, and I thought never thought id learn anything from business law 215 last semester.

That depends on your state.

n240sxfnatic
08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
True... lol

MegasquirtCA
08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
True... lol

lol guess you didnt learn much.

kensreliableb18b
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
3k paint job is okay. but yea, he should have informed you about the additional work before actually going forward with the job. on a side note, where the hell were you???? 4 months later??? did you not keep in touch with the shop or what? 2 months okay yea i understand if they're busy. but 4 months?

Halient
08-31-2008, 10:55 AM
3k is insane, i paid 3800 for a full color change including the bay on my old SC300 an that was a ppg paint job with lifetime warranty

aziankingz
08-31-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah 3k you can buy another mr2.. or make your mr2 into a track monster..

DrtyRat
08-31-2008, 11:55 AM
never pay before

and it should take at the most 4 weeks, depending on the condition

3k is wayy up there in price too

call your lawyer=] lol
Most shops won't start the work w/o a nice deposit.

IdriveaNissan
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Always ask for receipts. When I was looking for paint shops, almost all of them would write me a quote on the back of their business cards. Also, I do agree on the deposit, but I dont think you have to pay the whole thing or even half up front before they can start working. Must be a shady shop. Any pictures of the work?

S14DB
08-31-2008, 01:02 PM
a verbal agreement is considered a contract, and I thought never thought id learn anything from business law 215 last semester.Welcome to cars and houses. Where if it's not in writing it's not shit 90% of the time.

To the OP. You should always have a written estimate with the cost and a allowance for overages. Usually it's $100 or you have to get another approval. It's written on the estimate.

Here's were it gets interesting. Depending on the state laws, Cause you paid in full. If you have a bill of sale/services rendered recipt. It can be viewed as a flat rate service and he has to cover all overages

It all depends on your state laws and what it says on your bill as far as overages. If this is all verbal it's a grey area and I would just get your car back.

gotta240
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
I have two issues with this whole thread.

1. You guys who say 3 grand is expensive are fucking retards and most likely don't know what the fuck a REAL paint job looks like. You clowns think the Earl Shieb PREMIUM is as good as it gets.

2. If he didn't call you BEFORE doing an extra 1200 in work (which is fucking nearly 35 percent increase) i would tell him to fuck himself. If it was 200 bucks, i would say sure. But adding more than a third to the bill without permission is NOT OK. Also, ask for the proof. Sounds like another shady ass, high on fumes, semi-cracked out painter.

hotlavaflow
08-31-2008, 01:39 PM

1. You guys who say 3 grand is expensive are fucking retards and most likely don't know what the fuck a REAL paint job looks like. You clows think the Earl Shieb PREMIUM is as good as it gets.

2. If he didn't call you BEFORE doing an extra 1200 in work (which is fucking nearly 35 percent increase) i would tell him to fuck himself. If it was 200 bucks, i would say sure. But adding more than a third to the bill without permission is NOT OK. Also, ask for the proof. Sounds like another shady ass, high on fumes, semi-cracked out painter.

Agreed, I was just going to post the same thing, except for the "fucking retards" part lol.

S14DB
08-31-2008, 01:50 PM
One other thing.

Is the car DONE? Or does he need the money to finish it?

SlideWell
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
sounds like another paint scammer. my friend went through the same deal. he ended up having to pay the guy. threats were thrown out on both sides, "yeaaah we got guns n shit." what a horrible situation.

240SX714
08-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Any additional work that is performed on the car that requires more money, and he completed it and charging you more without prior approval is a BAR violation. Call the BAR if necessary. GL

koukimonster139
08-31-2008, 05:48 PM
lol im telling you

paying twice as much for a paintjob as you paid for your piece of shit car is normal

3k is nothing when it comes paint/body.

fuck earl schieb, fuck maaco, fuck all that

trust me i do it every day damn near 7 days a week

ZX88
09-01-2008, 06:48 AM
you should have got that set price writen down on paper and signed by him.

JohnnyDrfiter22
09-01-2008, 06:55 AM
The car is done, just sitting there and thanks for the ideas guys, im going back down on weds

Mi Beardo es Loco
09-01-2008, 11:25 AM
ask for proof. If he can come up with some sort of proof take that proof to another body shop and see if that will estimate to around 1200. You probably should have just paid him half at the beginning and half after it was done. Painting a car is not like shopping at Target. They took their time because the could.

silpena
09-01-2008, 11:38 AM
umm is this a back yard shop? if he gives u problems just report him to the city. I bet his shop isnt legit with the city if hes doing that kind business. 3k is pretty cheap. Just to repair a quarter panel with a minor streak or dent cost around 1k..... so 3k is cheap but still this guy cant pull this crap off.
what extacly did he say he was going to repair or fix and paint? got a list or estimate?

zylvia213
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
1.Ok exactly what kind of work did the car need at first when he gave you the first verbal estimate.

2. What exactly needed to be done for the additional extra work on the car that he had to charge you more?

3. What kind of body and paint job did you want from the begining? Theres diferent types of jobs you would want. Cheap 1 day paint type of job, something decent ok looking or show type of work.

Kinda hard to say 3k is alot if you dont explain what exactly the car needed from the begining. 3K can be alot or it can be cheap depending on what needs to be done to the car. Also what kind of paint and clear your gona want. Different kinds of paint out there. Not that body and paint is a complicated job but its not as easy and cheap as it sounds. Me and 2 of my friends run a body shop so i kinda know how it is.

Halient
09-02-2008, 10:03 AM

1. You guys who say 3 grand is expensive are fucking retards and most likely don't know what the fuck a REAL paint job looks like. You clowns think the Earl Shieb PREMIUM is as good as it gets.

I dont know how it is on the west coast but in South Florida 3k is way overpriced for a crap paintjob. if you are willing to spend 6k+ on a paintjob it better be a work of art. The most i ever paid for a paintjob was 5200 and that was with installing a Widebody kit & I always do full PPG including primer, paint & clear

gotta240
09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I dont know how it is on the west coast but in South Florida 3k is way overpriced for a crap paintjob. if you are willing to spend 6k+ on a paintjob it better be a work of art. The most i ever paid for a paintjob was 5200 and that was with installing a Widebody kit & I always do full PPG including primer, paint & clear

Who the hell said "crap paint job"? I never saw that anywhere.

Fuck... I can get 250 dollar paint jobs all day in socal. Doesn't mean anyone SHOULD.