PDA

View Full Version : sc300 vs 240sx

sr20alex
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Well flame me if you want but i need to know. Well i had a thought of buying a sc300 and selling the 240. One of the reasons why i want a sc300 is cause the 2jz is very reliable so is the ka but i've seen 300k 2jz still running strong. And you could swap a 1jzgte or 2jzgte into a sc300 and cops wont be very familar with the engine such as sr20dets or anything. My parents want me to sell the 240 and get a "better" car. I love the body line of the s13 but then again i love how sc300 looks also. To me the sc300 doesnt look as agressive as the s13.

Any input guys..?

Thanks alot.

chibo
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Just comes down to taste, the SC is a great car. A lot of Supra suspension stuff bolts right up, easy to make power, comfortable, look decent, ect.

SW20Racer
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
this might help.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/JA92S13/Soarer/sc300b.jpg
http://www.driftingstreet.com/images/toyota-soarer.jpg
http://www.carontrack.com/image/soarer.jpg

two words for ya.

pussy.

that alone should be reason enough to get the lexus.

bitches check the badges, and its mighty nice when they check out your grill and spot the "L" badge.

panties drop. true story.

TravisSW
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
If I had more money when I bought my S14. It would of been a close call between the two. I like them both.

Though I'd like to find a Sc400 in stick. Glw that find though.

And you can drop that same motor in a 240 btw. :P

sr20alex
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
If I had more money when I bought my S14. It would of been a close call between the two. I like them both.

And you can drop that same motor in a 240 btw. :P

Haha thats true but then if i get popped by a cop then im screwed im pretty sure sc300s are low profile i think not to sure about that. I believe the SC's that come in stick are only sc300.

Thanks sw20racer for the pictures i've seen the first one before its so sexy. Thats true if they see a lexus badge they be all over. I drove my brothers is350 to a dinner and holy crap! Since im still in highschool i had a good night that day:hsdance:. Glad other zilvians like the sc300 as much as i do.

But what really made me fall in love with the sc's the most is..
SC gone wild.
YouTube - SC's Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kmddi0-ZwU)

Matej
08-30-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/e107_images/newspost_images/dg_2.gif

miravete
08-30-2008, 11:53 PM
im having the same dilemma....sc300´s and 400´s are nice...local guy is selling his. its a v8...but with gas prices...shit...im just looking at it from afarrr....

HyperTek
08-30-2008, 11:57 PM
nice choice... id also consider the first gen gs300.. 4 doors is nice. both have good aftermarket.

the sc is cool tho check out clublexus forums
its a coupe supra pretty much.

sr20alex
08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/e107_images/newspost_images/dg_2.gif
Uhm thanks?

nice choice... id also consider the first gen gs300.. 4 doors is nice. both have good aftermarket.

the sc is cool tho check out clublexus forums
its a coupe supra pretty much.

Thanks thats true gs300 are nice also aristo? or something like that im not to sure yeah i've been checking craigs,cars,auto,CL and such but first i need to know whats my budget. But the only thing is most of the interiors tan.. Yeah i plan on swaping a 1jzgte for a DD

fliprayzin240sx
08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I like SCs, the only thing I dont like about it is I dont think itll handle as great as an S-chassis due to its weight. Dont get me wrong, I like em alot. But when I think of SC, it turns me off just as much as an MKIV Supra. You can potentially make gobs of power with it but thats all its gonna be good for. Dyno queen and straight line...

s13 @ fullboost
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
They are both great cars its is a hard choice to make but if I were you I would just keep my s13 and get a ka-T

HyperTek
08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
yah id have a hard time between the gs and sc i like them both and they both are sick.. both rock same 2jz. id post some aristo pics but im on a pda.

i dunno how hard it would be to daily drive a slammed kitted 4door though, most vip rides are on air but they do make coilovers for em.

mikeyyy
08-31-2008, 12:08 AM
some more convincing:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/kbhoioejma2/IMG_5558.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/kbhoioejma2/IMG_5557.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/kbhoioejma2/IMG_5559.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/kbhoioejma2/IMG_6266.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/kbhoioejma2/IMG_6277.jpg

i love 240's to death, but damn......

one local soarer owner in houston, tx

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 12:11 AM
They are both great cars its is a hard choice to make but if I were you I would just keep my s13 and get a ka-T

I would totally keep the 240 if cops didnt know them too well cause most of the cops in california know how sr20dets and ka-ts look like, if it was like 5 years ago i would of done it but its kinda too late plus they'res been alot of 240's getting stolen lately and i dont want that to happen to me. My brother got popped and he had to sell his car.

yah id have a hard time between the gs and sc i like them both and they both are sick.. both rock same 2jz. id post some aristo pics but im on a pda.

i dunno how hard it would be to daily drive a slammed kitted 4door though, most vip rides are on air but they do make coilovers for em.

GS are nice i saw a super clean one grey with bbs rims wow. And my friend who was with me at the time she was like OMG thats so sexy, "dont you wish your car was like that" i was like my 240 is nice too.. Yeah rocking 2jz decent amount of power. Post some pictures when you get home!

fliprayzin240sx
08-31-2008, 12:11 AM

Bags way better. My old roomie has a GS400. He slapped some Tein Flex on them at first, didnt like em. Basically they put the luxury aspect of the car into consideration above all cuz the spring rate was too damn soft. Made the car roll too much.

Ended up going with a custom air ride suspension. Rode alot better and firmer...
http://pxracing.com/images/zoom/ZZQMSJ/viewsize/IMG_4301_Custom.sized.jpg
http://pxracing.com/images/zoom/ZZQMSJ/viewsize/lex4.jpg
http://pxracing.com/images/zoom/ZZQMSJ/viewsize/IMG_4303_Custom.sized.jpg

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Wow i guess im getting a sc300, you guys are convincing me to get one haha and that gs needs some mad spacers. I believe 1jzgtes soarer are the same price as a sr20det? I've been reading and i read that it was a direct bolt in but just extending the wires are a pain in the ass. Man that gs looks sooo nice my aunt has a white gs300 maybe i should go steal it :keke:

Flicktitty
08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
i love the S-Chassis as much as the next person.

but i LOVE the SC's i'd rock one for sure.

ronmcdon
08-31-2008, 01:16 AM
I've been contemplating the SC300 or the IS300 myself as of late as the next project. Just not sure which would be the better handling chassis. The IS might be more reliable and easier to find a low mi chassis. The IS might also have better suspension and brakes from the factory. The SC though, could theoretically be made road legal with a the appropriate yr usdm 2jz motor. What I dislike most both chassis is the light steering.

both would be a lot more sleeper and possibly hassle free with police, thieves, and possibly insurance than 240's I would imagine. Most likely I'll be getting rid of my s14 by the end of the year. I just don't need drama of having my car stolen or the hood popped.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 01:20 AM
I just don't need drama of having my car stolen or the hood popped.

+1 on that for sure well from the way its going for me i should have my sc by december HOPEFULLY so i can go snowboarding every week i never knew so many people on zilvia loves the sc and the gs. But from the way its going it seems like i might be getting it soon as soon as i get my asking price for my 240.

s13 @ fullboost
08-31-2008, 01:20 AM
well guess what guys I just heard because of the budget cut if you get a reff ticket you can just go to court and get it signed off =]

FRpilot
08-31-2008, 01:22 AM
My parents want me to sell the 240 and get a "better" car.

isn't that always the case? what they mean by "better car" is something practical and boring as fuck to drive. my dad wants me to get a new corolla. i don't want to spend 18k out the door for something i'll hate, even though it probably saves a ton on gas and very reliable.

idk if they think a 10yr old sc300 will be a better car, but maybe they believe brand name is better, so you might be able to get your high priced, nice looking toyota and they'll stop bitching because they think its better than a 240sx.

plus the third poster is right. girls think the same way as parents. they see Lexus, inifiniti, bmw, mercedes, etc. badging and they get all hot and bothered. their mind will be on the money they think you have in your bank account, while your mind will be what they have in their pants.

after watching that youtube vid you posted, SC's Gone Wild, I kind of want one too. turbo'd, looks nice, low profile, less hassle from cops/thieves, but I'm sure it'll be another endless money pit.. 2jz-gte + 6spd is like 6k alone. wheels, lowered, paint. dam, can't i just hit the lotto twice and quit working.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
isn't that always the case? what they mean by "better car" is something practical and boring as fuck to drive. my dad wants me to get a new corolla. i don't want to spend 18k out the door for something i'll hate, even though it probably saves a ton on gas and very reliable.

idk if they think a 10yr old sc300 will be a better car, but maybe they believe brand name is better, so you might be able to get your high priced, nice looking toyota and they'll stop bitching because they think its better than a 240sx.

plus the third poster is right. girls think the same way as parents. they see Lexus, inifiniti, bmw (http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/211130-sc300-vs-240sx.html#), mercedes, etc. badging and they get all hot and bothered. their mind will be on the money they think you have in your bank account, while your mind will be what they have in their pants.

Well better meaning a newer year, plus my oldest brother has gone through 4 240's an a 300z and my other brother currently has a s14 and i have a s13 im pretty sure my mom is probably sick of that car so yeah, well probably just because of the lexus name but then again SC looks very nice, and true to that buying a brand new car isnt my thing unless its the car i want. Well if its they're money i guess you cant really complain but since most of the money is mine i have a choice in what car i want to get. And my mom doesnt really bish about my car. I believe sc300 are NOT boring cars :hs:

And haha for the girl comment then again its true i drove my brothers is350 and yeah but my friend she was more into my driving, she said when i was driving she got like a orgasim when i drove. kinda werid but yeah if they keep they're eye on my bank well screw them

Marcus
08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
it ultimately depends on what you want to do with either car. is this a daily/track/pickup broads car?

in the eyes of the ignorant, a ricer and a 240 driver may not be much different. the lexus, higher in class, will probly drop more panties, but the s13 will be more versatile.
whats your budget. can you afford both?

keep the s13 build it for the fun/daily, have the lex dumped on ginormous wheels for work/broads/weekends.

fromxtor
08-31-2008, 01:39 AM
theres a guy on here named Adrian (savannaae) thats selling his GS and its already turbo.

blasting_speed
08-31-2008, 01:39 AM
I love my 240s dude, but honestly. The only reason why i don't drive a ''Soarer'' is because i can't afford one. They're so damn sexy. If you have the money and the resources go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

FRpilot
08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
I like SCs, the only thing I dont like about it is I dont think itll handle as great as an S-chassis due to its weight. Dont get me wrong, I like em alot. But when I think of SC, it turns me off just as much as an MKIV Supra. You can potentially make gobs of power with it but thats all its gonna be good for. Dyno queen and straight line...

then again, i've always felt the similar way about heavy cars. particularly supras, z32s, 3000gt, z33s, etc. (pretty much any car that weighs more than 3000lbs). although i'm sure the 2jz-gte can easily make like 1000hp, to push the 3500lbs+ of car, it will never handle the same as a smaller and lighter car.

it ultimately depends on what you want to do with either car. is this a daily/track/pickup broads car?

daily/weekend car, the sc300 would be nice. it would be great, if you don't mind putting gas in it. i'm sure the 6cylinder would put more of a crunch in your wallet.

track car, sc300 no way. i would rather get an old s13, fc, whatever, and keep it non-op, and build another race car money pit. problem with that is finding a place to store/work on it.

true to that buying a brand new car isnt my thing unless its the car i want. Well if its they're money i guess you cant really complain but since most of the money is mine i have a choice in what car i want to get. And my mom doesnt really bish about my car. I believe sc300 are NOT boring cars :hs:

Yea, my dad wants me to spend 18k (or however many Ks it cost to buy a new econo box) of my OWN money. no way i'm spending that much money on something i don't want. i'll just regret it and feel pissed off everytime i drive it thinking how much money i spent on something i didn't want in the first place.

you're right, they are probably not boring with a 2jz-gte. i'm not sure how fun it would be with a stock na 2jz with ~220crank hp pushing this 3500lb car. imo, the sc300 looks nice enough as it is (however, i've never seen any mismatched multicolor sc300 shitbuckets before) but idk what kind of track events i'd go to with one, so i see it strictly as a badass daily driver (minus the gas guzzler thing, which is probably not too bad, probably gets the same mileage as my moms v6 camry but its a 17gal tank x $4= $68/per week or so). sc300 has 20 gal tank so its more like $80 a fillup.

now that i think about it, this car is not "practical" to me. $5-8k+ for sc300, 6k for 2jz-gte/6spd, $3k on wheels, $2k+ on suspension = $17-20k, and then it probably gets like 20mpg? although it would be nice to have, and i guess that's the price you pay to have a nicer car. i would rather buy this for $20k, then some new corolla, fit, civic, whatever.

SW20Racer
08-31-2008, 02:05 AM
I love my 240s dude, but honestly. The only reason why i don't drive a ''Soarer'' is because i can't afford one. They're so damn sexy. If you have the money and the resources go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

dude. when you get your toyota soarer lemme know so i can cruise with you in my toyota corsa. it'd be totally sweet. rebadged toyota on toyota action. nc-17. two will enter but only one will leave.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Yes its going to be my DD well im not too rich im barely 17. I was going to turbo my 240 and make it look nice but then turboing a 240 in cali is a big no no. But im fine with a DD sc300 vip status haha. Im definitely sold on the sc300 now just to fine one to my liking.

RiversideS13
08-31-2008, 02:29 AM
I have a IS300 with manual transmission and i loved it. it drives solid and gets compliment everywhere. i get about 22mpg with it. it has 70k right now and i brought it used when it was 49k. i did not have a single problem except one of the oxygen sensor went out after second day i got it (that sucker has 4 of them).

I had 3 240sx in past.... from what i see is that 240sx and sc300 is totally different class. I mean 240sx is fun to drive because of light weight and cheap to get parts, very easy to work on. IS300 or SC300 is heavy ( i think SC300 is 3400lb and IS300 is 3200lb), although it gives you the solid feeling, but that sacrificed performance and driving fun. parts are way more expensive and harder to work.

i dont know about sc300 swap 1jz but i knew 1st gen GS300 swap would requires alot of work and modification of firewall. do more research about pricing before you buy those cars

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 02:55 AM
Yea, my dad wants me to spend 18k (or however many Ks it cost to buy a new econo box) of my OWN money. no way i'm spending that much money on something i don't want. i'll just regret it and feel pissed off everytime i drive it thinking how much money i spent on something i didn't want in the first place.

you're right, they are probably not boring with a 2jz-gte. i'm not sure how fun it would be with a stock na 2jz with ~220crank hp pushing this 3500lb car. imo, the sc300 looks nice enough as it is now that i think about it, this car is not "practical" to me. $5-8k+ for sc300, 6k for 2jz-gte/6spd, $3k on wheels, $2k+ on suspension = $17-20k, and then it probably gets like 20mpg? although it would be nice to have, and i guess that's the price you pay to have a nicer car. i would rather buy this for $20k, then some new corolla, fit, civic, whatever.

Well tell your parents that you have every right to use your own money since you worked for it.

I guess i never really looked at it 3500lbs is quite alot compared to a 240 and true 220hp pushing a 3500 is not that much but once i swap it, it shouldnt be much of a problem anymore. Yup to have a nice car you gotta pay for it, but i personally like how the fit looks..

i dont know about sc300 swap 1jz but i knew 1st gen GS300 swap would requires alot of work and modification of firewall. do more research about pricing before you buy those cars

Before my buying my 240 i was planning on getting a is300 but it was way out of my price range they're like avg 10k my brother is willing to help me swap a soarer jz into the sc300 if i decided to swap motors direct drop in but yeah.

Werid i've been given a neg rep.. then a positive oh wells.

FRpilot
08-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Well tell your parents that you have every right to use your own money since you worked for it.

I guess i never really looked at it 3500lbs is quite alot compared to a 240 and true 220hp pushing a 3500 is not that much but once i swap it, it shouldnt be much of a problem anymore. Yup to have a nice car you gotta pay for it, but i personally like how the fit looks..

parents aren't forcing me to buy those econoboxes. they just complain and ridicule that i'm not buying the right thing with my money. basically everything that i'm considering is a POS, junkcar, etc. from year 2000+ to older nicer cars. i had a friend with a miata and my dad called it a junk car, ok i guess. a few years later, he came in an s2k and my dad still called it a POS when it cost more than his civic. lol. idk, sometimes its impossible to change the mind of a stubborn person.

anyways, back on topic. if i were you, i would get the sc300 if the budget permits. in the end, it will be nicer and less hassle. but you'll probably be driving it stock for a while, unless you've taken other cars into consideration. but sc300 is definitely a nice car, although could be a bit old too. maybe you find a newer 95-2000 year model. i don't think it being 3500lbs will be too bad if you're just going to daily drive it. you're not going to be taking crazy corners or competing in autocross tournaments with it, and it should have adequate power for daily driving, although turbocharged 2jz would be sweet.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 03:39 AM
parents aren't forcing me to buy those econoboxes. they just complain and ridicule that i'm not buying the right thing with my money. basically everything that i'm considering is a POS, junkcar, etc. from year 2000+ to older nicer cars. i had a friend with a miata and my dad called it a junk car. a few years later, he bought an s2k and my dad still called it a POS when it cost more than his civic. lol. idk, sometimes its hard to change the minds of stubborn people.

anyways, back on topic. if i were you, i would get the sc300 if budget permits. in the end, it will be nicer and less hassle. but you'll probably be driving it stock for a while, unless you've taken other cars into consideration. but sc300 is a nice car too. maybe you find a newer 95ish one.

Ah i see yeah thats true its hard to change minds of stubborn people, i've been there before. And thats funny a s2k piece of junk well i guess the older people like 4 doors and a 5 seater that gets good mileage.

Naw i havnt thought of any other car, well there is the wrx and the FD but they are way out of my budget i'll get a FD when im super rich. I wish i could find a 95+ for pretty cheap i still dont know how much is my budget but im pretty sure its around 6-7k but first i need a job haha.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/1992546598_47d447cc52_o.jpg
Oh man..

shanes14
08-31-2008, 09:42 AM

they dont make them.

i was lookin at them before i got my s14 but couldnt find any that were stick. now a few people on a local forum are selling them..

imo get one

scweet1
08-31-2008, 10:03 AM
SC300, 5speed with a NA-T...... Too bad the sc400 doesn't come stick, because that's what mine would have been. Now it's time for the manual swap on the 400 for me.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!!

shanes14
08-31-2008, 10:43 AM
yeh i was looking at specs and saw that they just dont make the 400's in stick

but sc300's are perfect for supra swaps lol

FRpilot
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
what's so good about sc400?

i thought the only difference between sc300 and sc400 is that the sc300 utilizes a 2jz-ge and the sc400 utilizes 1uz-fe. the 2jz is 3.0L and the 1uz is 4.0L, hence the difference in the names. i wouldn't even begin to know where to get a 1uz manual tranny and parts to make sc400 a manual car.

OptionZero
08-31-2008, 01:04 PM
i could be makin stuff up, but don't they pull the parts off a supra and some truck and frankenstein a manual tranny for the v8?

scweet1
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
i could be makin stuff up, but don't they pull the parts off a supra and some truck and frankenstein a manual tranny for the v8?

You don't need a truck...

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread - Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316384&highlight=swap+scott)

Bubbles
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Here's one thing you need to learn about the average parents........they know fuck all about cars.

If you pay for shit with your own money get what YOU want, especially if you are young.

There's time to be old and responsible when you're..... well.. old and responsible.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
You don't need a truck...

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread - Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316384&highlight=swap+scott)

Notice your SC in your sig hows do you compare it to the 240 is it fun to drive?

If you pay for shit with your own money get what YOU want, especially if you are young.

There's time to be old and responsible when you're..... well.. old and responsible.

Yeah i know its most of it mine but my parents are helping me out pay for the car my mother is willing to help me get the sc300, she even helped me get my 240 so im pretty sure she doesnt care what car i get as long as its drivable.

flip3d
08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
what's so good about sc400?

i thought the only difference between sc300 and sc400 is that the sc300 utilizes a 2jz-ge and the sc400 utilizes 1uz-fe. the 2jz is 3.0L and the 1uz is 4.0L, hence the difference in the names. i wouldn't even begin to know where to get a 1uz manual tranny and parts to make sc400 a manual car.

There's a company that sells a bellhousing that allows you to bolt up a W58 to the 1UZ. Add SC400 MT parts and you're set. It's not hard at all.

I'd do it but I can't find a decent SC400.

Shit, go to Youtube and search 1UZ Supra. A lot of people prefer 1UZ over the 2JZ.

The ROMAN
08-31-2008, 06:02 PM
1UZ sounds like a plan, 5 speed SCs are just too rare.

I heard steering angle is a pain in these, like you have to swap racks and do some custom stuff?

FRpilot
08-31-2008, 06:16 PM
There's a company that sells a bellhousing that allows you to bolt up a W58 to the 1UZ. Add SC400 MT parts and you're set. It's not hard at all.

looking at that thread, the swap looks simple enough, but how much do all those parts costed? i had a friend do a 5spd swap on his sc300, and i think it cost him $1200-1500 for parts alone. 2jz manual tranny aren't cheap and plentiful.

still, i think its a nice car. idk if i want to start a new money pit with it.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 07:31 PM
sc300 5 spd are rare but finding a black interior is rarer i believe but i've seen some nice black sc with tan interiors. But i could take apart the interior and spray them black and it'll work the same? I've seen someone on zilvia done it before. I have my eyes on one sc300 black 5spd but its going for 6.9k its been there for awhile maybe i could make him lower the price.

flip3d
08-31-2008, 08:52 PM
This website has everything you need if you ever get an SC400.

a1turbos: 1UZ Quadcam parts (http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=1QT)

Check out this videos while you're at it.

N/A, ITBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Supercharged
YouTube - Supercharged Lexus 1UZ V8 intake sound 230rwkw 800+rwnm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcTOUNfPMsU)

Supercharged WITH ITBs
YouTube - Lexus V8 supercharged SC 400 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwM8P-G38I)

Turbocharged
YouTube - Hypertune T88gk Turbo V8 soarer 1uz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdClXuOX-M)
YouTube - Hypertune T88 V8 lexus soarer dyno run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZcK0j25sg)

1UZ is Jebus.

HyperTek
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
id post some gs300 aristo pics but my computer is down for a few weeks and im posting via cellphone lol

qwikspool
08-31-2008, 09:05 PM
sc300 are so nice. would love to have one.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
well guys im set on a sc300 just because its manuel and a v8 does sound nice but it wont have the nice feel to it, plus it'd be a big gas eater. but thanks for the links flip3d. I guess im going to have to talk about it over with my brother and my mother about my budget.

flip3d
08-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Err.. what nice feel? Same suspension. If anything, the feel would be nicer. Torque off the line.

You don't think a 2JZ is a gas eater? A high boost 2JZ wouldn't be any different than a V8.

But hey, I'm not trying to tell you what to get...

just showing you what else is out there.

Good luck getting one though. You'll love the SC.

sr20alex
08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Err.. what nice feel? Same suspension. If anything, the feel would be nicer. Torque off the line.

You don't think a 2JZ is a gas eater? A high boost 2JZ wouldn't be any different than a V8.

But hey, I'm not trying to tell you what to get...

just showing you what else is out there.

Good luck getting one though. You'll love the SC.

Well i wont be running a turbo on the sc right off the bat. I dont have that kind of money just yet. Guess i was kinda vague on the sc300-400 thing but i would like to have a manuel car. I believe 400's cost quite a bit more.

SexPanda
08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
man fuck all that nonsense... lexus, pffffft...

go get yourself an old miata, drop in a 302 ford engine, slap a hot cam in it, spend a grand on a good suspension, make it look nice, get some brides, and have fun.

302 ford=1000 bucks
t5 world class-1500
miata-2000
5.0 swap kit-1000
suspension-1000
looks-1000
seats-1000
cam-500
There you have it. a car that will run low 11's, high 10's, for less than 10 grand.

in all seriousness. I have a buddy with an sc400, its a nice car. the V8 sounds good, has some decent get up and go for such a big car, and its a lexus. It comes with the pussy magent installed.

g6civcx
09-01-2008, 06:22 AM
302 ford=1000 bucks

I would personally spend another $1k and get a GM crate engine. It makes more torque than the Ford.

t5 world class-1500

T5s are getting harder and harder to find. At that price, you're almost better off buying a Richmond box.

drift freaq
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok here's the deal. My friend has a SC. They are damn nice cars. Compare it to a 240sx? No comparison, completely different. SC drives great, comfortable sport luxury. Feels larger and heavier and drives that way. Can be tossed around but parts are expensive. Gas mileage? Forget it.

I don't know about any of you but as soon as Gas rose above 3.25 a gallon I started thinking of nice economical cars for a daily. I.E. Mini Coopers, G20's etc. Ya they are FWD but shit you want something nice that gets economy thats the way it is.
I wanted to pick up a IS300 before all of this craziness. It was either that or a BMW E36. I can't see any other cars that fit what I was going for. Both of those do not win the gas mileage game either. Once again I was stumped.
Hence the comments about Coopers,P11 G20's etc...
If you don't care about Gas mileage get the SC300 you will not be sorry. Its a nice car. I would probably pick a IS300 over it though. Thats just me.

HyperTek
09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
is300 is nice but i dont think its cheap enough for him. theres a salvage title on craigslist for 8K. 5spd wasnt out til the 2nd or 3rd year if i recall.

i like the e36 as well. u can pick up a mid 90s m3 fairly cheap. the bodylines tho are showing thier age. i think thats why people here perfer the japanese rivals here because they dont look as old given the design.

this is out of the blue but what about a mazda 929? thats a rwd 4door. ive seen a pic of one vip. but i dunno its probably not very sporty.

s13dan
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, ill bet you will miss your 240. But you have had one, so maybe you should try something new. Besides i bet you could find another 240...Hell have the lex as a daily and make a 240 race car! And you gatta look at it from your folks perspective, 240s arent exactly very safe cars, and i know my dad always thinks of mine as an old Z, which in his day had a reputation for killing "spirited" drivers. I even lost a freind, if she was in any other car might have walked away.

drift freaq
09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, ill bet you will miss your 240. But you have had one, so maybe you should try something new. Besides i bet you could find another 240...Hell have the lex as a daily and make a 240 race car! And you gatta look at it from your folks perspective, 240s arent exactly very safe cars, and i know my dad always thinks of mine as an old Z, which in his day had a reputation for killing "spirited" drivers. I even lost a freind, if she was in any other car might have walked away.

If you think a 240sx is not forgiving you need to go to driving school. 240sx's are so forgiving its nutty. They are extremely safe in comparison to a lot of sports cars. Try driving a FD or a 240z or a MR2 if you want a car that can be dangerous and extremely unforgiving. I.E. cars that should not be driven by drivers that don't know how to really drive.

julz
09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
the sc300 is an amazing car but one thing you have to remember not only is gas gonna be more expencive but so is insurance and parts. i work at lexus and i see people flip on how much parts are every day

scweet1
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
The Lex is more Luxurious, I have Stance Coilovers on mine so the ride is as stiff as any other Car on coils. But it is a "Pink Snapper" magnet, that's for sure. I have a 400 so I cannot compare the 300 to a 240, but I cn say is financially, it is more on your wallet.

FRpilot
09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a buddy with an sc400, its a nice car. the V8 sounds good, has some decent get up and go for such a big car, and its a lexus. It comes with the pussy magent installed.

hahah reminded me of

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/moviesetc/borat.jpg

I don't know about any of you but as soon as Gas rose above 3.25 a gallon I started thinking of nice economical cars for a daily. I.E. Mini Coopers, G20's etc. Ya they are FWD but shit you want something nice that gets economy thats the way it is.
I wanted to pick up a IS300 before all of this craziness. It was either that or a BMW E36.

There you have it. There are newer, more luxurious cars that can be had.. if you are willing to pay for them and can afford it. IS300 is probably more desired than an older SC300. SC300 is nice too if you're considering a sport coupe with 2 doors and more affordable for a young adult/student at $5-8k compared to 18k. But gas is also expensive, and WILL get more expensive sooner or later. Don't know when, but thats for certain. So fuel economy should be a factor in your decision. If you are willing to drive a newer, nicer car, that doesn't get as great gas mileage as a economy car, than that's not a problem. But if you're going to school, paying bills/rent, etc. then it can hurt your wallet a bit. 22-25mpg may not be that bad compared to a 35mpg car, but it adds it. Tank by tank. even 1 tank, if you are saving 10mpg with a fuel efficient car x 10gal+ tank, thats 100mpg you could have drove. Multiply that by a month, a year, and may quickly add up to several thousand extra miles. But if you are balling and making 80k+ a year, then you can afford to live a little more luxurious. Or you can live a little more luxurious now, and skimp on other things you buy.

SC300 is nice. It's only about 5-8k for a used one and makes you feel more comfortable than a used Civic in the same price range will. if you're willing to pay for it, then the decision is clear.

Anyways, do hardtop SC300 exist? Haven't seen one or are they just really rare like hardtop Supras or MR2s?

g6civcx
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
If you think a 240sx is not forgiving you need to go to driving school. 240sx's are so forgiving its nutty. They are extremely safe in comparison to a lot of sports cars. Try driving a FD or a 240z or a MR2 if you want a car that can be dangerous and extremely unforgiving. I.E. cars that should not be driven by drivers that don't know how to really drive.

I second that emotion. Try any rear-engne Porsche made before the early 2000s.

chibo
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I second that emotion. Try any rear-engne Porsche made before the early 2000s.

Widowmakers. :rofl:

SimpleS14
09-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Wmy friend she was more into my driving, she said when i was driving she got like a orgasim when i drove.

Your friend just needs the D....

but first i need a job haha.

That right there makes me wonder if you should really consider the SC.

sr20alex
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
That right there makes me wonder if you should really consider the SC.

Well they're great daily drivers the engine is strong. Then again i've been applying for quite a bit so i gotta wait till they call me back.

And i dont think they make hardtop sc300's i perfer the sunroof though.

s13dan
09-02-2008, 12:02 AM

Thats what my dad says, im trying to say think of what your parents are thinking when the call a S2k a "junk car". If they think an SC300 is OK, well they prolly rather see their son in a nice new, safe lexus...My parents HATE my car, but i just told them i can die in anycar.As for my freind, it wasnt her fault. 240's do horrible on side impacts, they are NOT forgiving in that instance.

touge monster
09-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I DD a 5spd sc300. I love it.
Totally different experience from a 240.
I would say get a sc300. Chicks dig it.

sr20alex
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I DD a 5spd sc300. I love it.
Totally different experience from a 240.
I would say get a sc300. Chicks dig it.

Nice, i see i am getting a sc but in like a month or 2 depending if the car sells and i find a nice sc. I guess my mom wants me to sell the 240 because my brother has a s14, my oldest brother had about 5 240s already i guess my mom is sick of seeing 240's

HyperTek
09-02-2008, 04:01 AM
late 90s cars had great quality build as they should last many years...people still dont see that and insist anything older then 10 years is junk.

another car that is nice is the 300zx convertible..not as a tune car but a cruiser... i test drove a red one that had a bomex kit and some 18inch tsw rims. that thing could clearly be a pussy magnet. it looked exotic. it felt heavy and slow but its more of a G ride.. i could clearly imagine cruisin around hollywood in that. doubt ur folks would like it though its an old nissan.

what u do is let em know how much the cars cost originally, and find some document that shows the cars importance or what it did for the auto world etc..

touge monster
09-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Nice, i see i am getting a sc but in like a month or 2 depending if the car sells and i find a nice sc. I guess my mom wants me to sell the 240 because my brother has a s14, my oldest brother had about 5 240s already i guess my mom is sick of seeing 240's

Mabe its time for a change. I've seen a lot of good deals on Clublexus.com that you might want to check out. I get around 20mpg on my sc so you might want to keep that in mind. Gas adds up quick esp. if you drive alot.

sr20alex
09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Mabe its time for a change. I've seen a lot of good deals on Clublexus.com that you might want to check out. I get around 20mpg on my sc so you might want to keep that in mind. Gas adds up quick esp. if you drive alot.

Yeah i've been checking autotraders,cars,craigslist,CL daily i havn't found one yet im still researching on what to look for to buying a sc 20mpg isnt that bad since thats about what my s13 gets. I'll be using it mainly for school and work. Thanks for the input HyperTek

RiversideS13
09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
my friend's 95 SC400 gets about 15-18 mpg

sr20alex
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
my friend's 95 SC400 gets about 15-18 mpg

Well the sc400 has a v8 so it should eat up more gas than the sc300

VROOOM
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
i had a 93 SC300 and loved it. not as light as a 240 but handles pretty well and the stock motor is pretty torquey which helps alot.

also had 176k miles and ran perfect.

Om1kron
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
this sounds more like the rants of someone who is making excuses for getting another car they shouldn't be getting into, cant afford to do what they want with it and will validate their decision by making random threads on message boards awaiting others approval to move forward with said shitty decisions.

in the end it's your money, do what you can afford.

sr20alex
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
this sounds more like the rants of someone who is making excuses for getting another car they shouldn't be getting into, cant afford to do what they want with it and will validate their decision by making random threads on message boards awaiting others approval to move forward with said shitty decisions.

in the end it's your money, do what you can afford.

Ok. Well i wanted to get other opinions on the car see how they like it and such. I dont wait for everyone to agree that i should buy the car. I just like to hear they're experience with it compared to the 240.

braingone
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I went ahead and got a sc400 for a DD because I couldn't find another 240 that was up to my standards. The insurance was the same on my 240, I think it was 20 a month less too. Gas mileage isn't really that great but I don't have a long commute. Any SC is a great car though, oh this SC is sooo fresh
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2336128280_c687f92266.jpg?v=0

HyperTek
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
first gen GS!!
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6207/dsc01064tg2.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/Junction1stGenGS/Lexusnewpics154.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/Junction1stGenGS/88990082.jpg
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data//500/medium/dsc_6181-2.jpg
YouTube - Aristo Drift (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCE0ycYWgI)
i think they got alot of potential too, and way more under the radar.
GS - First Generation - Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJbVdWTRww
here go a sc400 with a kit.. figure it might be a decent start, just paint it and you could rock it as is Drifter Style Lexus SC400 (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/822179925.html)

sr20alex
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
HyperTek those are some clean ass gs's i dig the front but im not too much into the back and that video they got some crazy ass stance. Low as eff too must be a pain in the ass to drive over dips. Im getting a 5spd no matter what i just cant drive a automatic is just not my style unless i can find a cheap black on black auto then i might consider it..

beeracing s14
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
ive got a gs first gen gold and ive been rockin girls of all ages in the back seat.. except minors of course.

touge monster
09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
ive got a gs first gen gold and ive been rockin girls of all ages in the back seat.. except minors of course.

Whats wrong with minors? lol jk

ChicagoS14
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
im having the same dilemma....sc300´s and 400´s are nice...local guy is selling his. its a v8...but with gas prices...shit...im just looking at it from afarrr....

Actually in city driving the 2JZGE (3.0 I6) and the 1UZ-FE (4.0 V8) are actually rated almost the same in terms of gas consumption. On the highway the V8 is actually better so the only preference for the SC300 over the SC400 in my opinion is price and the 2JZGTE swap factor, other then that the SC400 is a much nicer overall stock engine and it doesnt mess with your pocket as much as you would think just because its a V8. Its a very refined V8 and its quite powerful.

Here is a direct quote from Consumer Reports on the fuel consumption of each model/year

dohc I6 3.0 225hp 210-220 torque - 4-speed automatic: 18 city/24hwy
dohc V8 4.0 250-260hp 260-270torque 4-speed automatic: 18 city/23hwy

1992-2000 Lexus SC 300/400 Specs & Safety - Consumer Guide Automotive (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1992-to-2000-lexus-sc-300-400-4.htm)

TravisSW
09-10-2008, 03:27 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/1992546598_47d447cc52_o.jpg
Oh man..

This website has everything you need if you ever get an SC400.

a1turbos: 1UZ Quadcam parts (http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=1QT)

Turbocharged
YouTube - Hypertune T88gk Turbo V8 soarer 1uz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdClXuOX-M)
YouTube - Hypertune T88 V8 lexus soarer dyno run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZcK0j25sg)

1UZ is Jebus.

That photo and that last video.

The video almost made me need to get new undies. I want...one..soo badly. If only the LA Sheriffs accepted me. Mind you I was about 2-3 steps away. Was at the polygraph.

S14DB
09-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Actually in city driving the 2JZGE (3.0 I6) and the 1UZ-FE (4.0 V8) are actually rated almost the same in terms of gas consumption. On the highway the V8 is actually better so the only preference for the SC300 over the SC400 in my opinion is price and the 2JZGTE swap factor, other then that the SC400 is a much nicer overall stock engine and it doesnt mess with your pocket as much as you would think just because its a V8. Its a very refined V8 and its quite powerful.

Here is a direct quote from Consumer Reports on the fuel consumption of each model/year

1992-2000 Lexus SC 300/400 Specs & Safety - Consumer Guide Automotive (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1992-to-2000-lexus-sc-300-400-4.htm)

18 mpg / 23 mpg Vs. 22 mpg / 28 mpg in the 240...

sr20alex
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Well guys i'm going to sell the car tonight, and im picking up my sc300 on next week in san fran. I was so lucky to find it we PMed him right away and gave him our phone number and he called us within a minute. Im extremely lucky i found a 95 sc300 black on black super clean bone stock with tien coils,new tires for less than 6g's i'll post some pictures that he gave me..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/Car/sc300/Back1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/Car/sc300/Passengerseat.jpg
the seats look so comfortable..
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/Car/sc300/Side1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/whoaitzalex/Car/sc300/Side10.jpg

liv2drift045
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
nice...

Black interior.... I >... HATE.... YOU:fawk2::)

touge monster
09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
holy shit black interior?
I am jealous.

scweet1
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Very Nice, congrats!!

sr20alex
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys, man the days are taking forever, the guy who has the sc lost the pink slip so they're getting a new one and i gotta wait till next week.. I know black interior its amazingly clean! Its funny cause my brother said that i'll never find a black on black bone stock 5spd and i found one after the guy called us he told my brother that he had got so many PM it was rediculous. Also my brother said that i wouldnt find a white 5spd clean stock 240sx but i proved him wrong twice :boink:

KC20DET
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
YouTube - SC's Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kmddi0-ZwU)

This is pretty cool yet its pretty lame too.

turboboost12004
09-12-2008, 01:25 AM
I love my sc, i get compliments eveywwhere its a renissance red with black on balck, crome stock 16inch rims....i love the stock exhaust on it, sounds nice! youll love it. but be prepapred to spend a lot more money on meintenance.....(sorry for crappy spelling)

VROOOM
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
the interior looks awesome, most of those cars have nasty leather.

airsoft
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I just picked up a 1996 black / tan automatic

Owned by an older gentleman. Real nice folks, super old dood well taken care of at the dealership.

0 tears in leather.
1 ding on front fender
timing belt replaced @ 108,000 currently @ 161k miles
new a/c, water pump, alternator
doors open nicely
cup holder is there!!
needles aren't burnt out

Picked it up for 4k

I love it, completely different feel from my old 240's.

VROOOM
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I just picked up a 1996 black / tan automatic

Owned by an older gentleman. Real nice folks, super old dood well taken care of at the dealership.

0 tears in leather.
1 ding on front fender
timing belt replaced @ 108,000 currently @ 161k miles
new a/c, water pump, alternator
doors open nicely
cup holder is there!!
needles aren't burnt out

Picked it up for 4k

I love it, completely different feel from my old 240's.

the door hinges on that car are weird.

airsoft
09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
^

Look like terminator arms

zeroskater1028
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Ya man I was going to trade a 96 Camaro SS for a SC300 but the dude ended up backing out. That was before I got the 240, but wow I really wanted that SC.

touge monster
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
doors are amazingly heavy haha.